The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting One-on-One Battles

This thread is very similar to the "Favorite Battle Scenes" thread, but with a slightly different idea.<P>To narrow the choices, what is your favorite fight between less than ten people, preferably one-on-one?<P>Examples - Lurtz vs. Aragorn in FotR<BR>Eowyn vs. Witch-King in RotK<BR>Gandalf vs. Balrog in FotR<BR>Aragorn vs. 5 Nazgul in FotR<BR>...and so forth.<p>[ 7:08 PM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Kransha ]

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

As I stated in the other thread Kransha mentioned, my favorite is Gandalf vs. the Balrog, although Aragorn vs. the 5 Riders on Weathertop ranks up there. Aragorn vs. Lurtz would be higher up if it was a little more realistic ( maybe a little blood when Lurtz gets his arm, & then later his head as well, chopped off? )...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I'd probably like Gandalf's one-on-one with the Balrog the best, assuming we're counting the plunge too. <P>There's NOT very many hand-to-hand prolongued sequences in LotR, so it's hard to judge. And by the way, I was pleased that PJ didn't go for guts and gore as far as Uruk-hai go. And besides, who says Uruk-hai are an extremely bloody race of diers?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Definitely Eowyn vs. Witch-king. You've just got to love that "I am no man!" thing.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #5
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"You shall not pass!"<BR>&<BR>"I am no man"<P>I think they speak for themselves.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
poisonivy

Sting

eowyn and the witch king. never has "girl power" this powerful. it's like women empowerment, women triumphing over the enemies. and the witch king was no ordinary enemy, he was one pain in the neck and eowyn ended all that (with a little help, of course).
Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #7
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Should've posted mine.<P>I'd have to say my favorite is the entire Gandalf vs. Balrog bit. The bridge, the fall, the plunge, and Zirak-Zigil. In the DVD, you see that they were originally gonna have the two of them fight their way all the way up the Endless stair.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

if it counts, Sam slaying about five Orcs on his way to rescuing Frodo from Cirth Ungol. He puts the passion in to it, but it's quite funny when he passes round the corner after making a shadow look like a warrior, and then seeing three Orcs just standing there.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
Eponine

Sting

Aragorn and the Nazgul. I love that scene, it's when you're supposed to realize Aragorn REALLY is all that he says. And the choreography, superb.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:47 AM   #10
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think one good battle that we have not mentioned is that of Saruman the White and Gandalf the Grey in The FotR. All though it does not particularly involve swords and bows, it still is a great example of their power/s.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #11
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The best is the Witch King and Eowyn. The best part of the entire Witch King, just his armour and mace especially!
Old 02-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
I like all of the ones that have been mentioned. Aragorn vs the ringraiths has to be my favorite though, and then Eowyn and the witchking. One question. Im pretty sure that the mouth od Sauron will be in the EE of Rotk. But, will anyone actually fight him or will he just run off somewhere and not be seen again.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #13
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I vote for Aragorn vs Lurtz in FOTR. I don't usually go for battle scenes but that scene had me hooked. It's so well done! (And I don't complain for the lack of realism, blood gushing out would have altered the visibility and ruined it )
Old 02-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #14
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
Gandalf vs. the Balrog was probably my favorite actual one-on-one, but I'd make a definite plea for Boromir's death scene, even if it's not really one-on-one. I cry every time I see that scene.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #15
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The fight between Éowyn and the Witchking has my vote. When we saw that scene for the first time on Trilogy Tuesday, the entire theatre just erupted in cheers. Just thinking about it brings me back to the same natural high I felt then. Beautiful scene!
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #16
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I change my vote

I saw ROTK again, and I vote for Sam vs Shelob. I love this fight! And then I went to the book and read this scene again and realized it sticks almost exactly to the book description of it. What I find funny (and touching somehow) is that Sam manages to fight (and defeat!) that monster with all those packs and pans dangling on his back! He does not even think about laying them aside before tackling Shelob; maybe there was no time for him to do so, or maybe it didn't even occur to him to leave those precious things aside. Anywat it's amazing that he was able to be so agile with all that burden.