The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Best Post of the Week

Yes, yes, we have the reputations system, but we cannot see all the highly rated posts there, only the tallies, unless Barrow Wight does his magic again.

Therefore, let us here make nominations for the laurel wreath. And make good our reasons.

To start things off, I hereby nominate Kransha's post #30 on the Why There were no women in the fellowship thread in Mirth.

Firstly, the modesty with which Mr. Kransha begins his address. A true gentleman, his tongue never drools but is kept firmly in his cheek. Second, the dexterity with which he addresses issues of philological import. Mr. Kransha's overarching metaphorical grasp of golden and star takes my breath away. Third, his grasp of early mythological texts which allows him to boldly make interpretations where others have not gone before. We all knew about the derivation of 'Gandalf' but who had the patience, perception, and downright prescience to seek out Gimli? Fourth, Mr. Kransha's very clever re-visioning of the very stale Legolas-Gimli question should put to rest henceforth any questionable aspertions about those who only serve. 'Nuff said here.

Fellow Downers, I ask you: Can Mirth get any better than this?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

No. That is Mirth at its best. A perfect example of humour. *claps hands*

*mutters under breath* Intelligence I tell you...pure intelligence.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Right. I forgot reason the fifth: it's darn funny.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, yes, I just read that one. Delightful; it gave me many a chuckle. Note to Kransha: I wanted to add to your reputation for it, but apparently I gave recently and can't again for awhile... oh well, I suppose it's the thought that counts.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Bęthberry, what a wonderful thread idea! I'd have seconded your nomination for Kransha's great post if I hadn't read The Saucepan Man's post on the 'Reunification of the Entish Bow' RPG first. As it is, I must cast my vote for that one. My reason(s):

This is parody at its very best! The names are hilarious, the characters well-drawn, their dialogues side-splitting, the ideas sparkle with wit (Aerophaunts!!), the clever inclusions of movie allusions and non-LotR references, the descriptive writing, especially at the beginning, commented by the sentence:
Quote:
One thing that could be said about the weather of Muddled-Mirth was that it had a profound sense of occasion.
And all of that so well-written that the only complaint could be the one Tolkien heard about his book - it wasn't long enough!

I could quote the whole thing, but go ahead and read it yourself!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Estelyn, a superb nomination and one which I'm sure makes SaucepanMan feel better about how Kransha upstaged him on the Why are there no women in the Fellowship thread.

I am in a quandry here, as I have found another post which I think stands head and shoulders above the rest--and this isn't a quick shampoo job to get rid of the flakes.

Am I allowed two nominations in one week? Can I say this is a tie? Yes, I believe I can.

Therefore, let me call upon kudos for Imladris' Post #1 on her thread The Capturing of Myth in the Movies forum.

Movie threads are rarely as well argued and well-thought out as Imladris' thread here. Often, they depend upon a simple statement of "well I liked" or "this is just my opinion" rather than a reasoned argument. (Not to be 'holier than thou' here, I've been guilty of this simplistic response myself.)

Imladris provides a clear sense of what she means by myth (well, okay, she cribbed it from Lewis, but she acknowledges that *insert winking smilie here as I might have used up my limit*) and by Peter Jackson's treatment of myth. She provides examples which demonstrate her point.

More importantly, I think she also gets us thinking about what a mythological impulse is. We all tend, I think, to refer off hand to Tolkien's mythology or Legendarium but we don't often ask just what it is that makes Tolkien's fantasy a mythology.

Definitely worth a read and very deserving of thoughtful replies!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
... makes SaucepanMan feel better about how Kransha upstaged him on the Why are there no women in the Fellowship thread.
Aw, how could I feel too bitter! After all I was just going for a wind-up.

Thanks for the nomination, Esty. It does make me feel better about staying up to the wee hours to finish the post and feeling very bleary-eyed the next morning at work.

I don't wish to make this thread too REB-centric, but I do feel compelled to nominate Mithadan's latest post in REB2 (I can't do that link to a single post thing, can anyone explain? Edit: I can now, thanks Helen).

This, to me, goes beyond good parody. It skilfully merges the parody of two different genres, not just by mention but by capturing the spirit of both at the same time. We have the wraith confused about his nature, a wonderful characterisation in itself, a reference to the wraith's well-known fear of water and a novel remedy for it, superb incorporation of other ongoing characters and, the icing on the cake, not just one but two fantastic parody characters from a well-known sci-fi classic. Can't you just hear Captain Cirkdan enunciating those words? As for a parrot (Dr Macaw, no less) uttering those famous words ... well, what more can I say?

This has just gotta be best (humorous) post of the week, if not year.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-24-2004 at 11:30 AM. Reason: What on earth are gernes and spitits? Oh, and to fix the link to Mith's post - thanks again Helen.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Saucie, look at the upper-righthand corner of a post. There's a green "#" and a yellow number. Clicking on the yellow number will display just that post. Then link as usual.

Watch out where the Huskies go
And do not eat the yellow snow;
But if on yellow text you click
You will find a BD link.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:49 AM   #9
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Can it be done statistically? Say, the post getting most reputation + most views is the winner for a given time period. The least unit may be week, and we may make monthly/yearly bulletin by the end of each month/year.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Lies, darn lies, and statistics ;)

Well, HI, numerical quantifying is one way to go and that is certainly a possibility. I think, though, that the kind of tallying you are suggesting can be done onlyby BarrowWight and he is already very busy managing the site--look at the great new game of magnetic poetry he has added yesterday. Would he have time for doing weekly,monthly or yearly analysis like that?

But to tell you the truth, I was really more interested in personal statements, in the reasons given for nominating any particular post. Numbers demonstrate popularity, and popularity can determine style preferences, but I was interested in our ideas of what makes a great post. There are two points here.

First is the way different people have of explaining their admiration. SpM's explanation of why he liked Mithadan's post so much is related very much to our nature as a discussion forum. His reasons highlight the qualities of Mithadan's post in a way that simple tallies of numbers or 'hits' would not. This can lead us into consideration in particular detail of what we value or enjoy here at the Downs. We can become more aware of the strength of this forum.

His reasons also suggest something about his personality, just as Estelyn's reasons show her values and preferences. Just compare the two! This leads to the second point, that preferences and evaluations are unique. Sometimes meaningful or valuable ideas can be missed because they don't reflect the majority opinion. Just because a majority or plurality of people have rated one post does not mean that a different person's rating of another post cannot tell us something about what we value here at the Downs. We can learn from each other's opinion.

I have to admit that I have been too busy in RL to keep up with the formidable reading over all of this forum and so did not nominate any posts last week. (I wasn't even able to keep up with the Chapter by Chapter discussion. ) However, anyone is free to post here. The thread certainly doesn't depend on me and my reasons are only one person's opinion. Other Downers will have other preferences and tastes and they surely can make those known.

Right now, given the examples here, it seems to me that humour is of substantial worth to Downers, which is an interesting phenomenon, because, for example, davem is one of the two most highly rated posters here, but I cannot recall any of his contributions to Mirth or the RPGs. (not meaning to single out davem or to suggest any kind of question about the humorous posts or the rep system.) Maybe this week we will see 'serious' posts nominated here. Who can say.

But thanks, HI for bringing up the question and the thread. I'll keep my eye out for good posts to refer to here. And so should other Downers!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-11-2004 at 12:56 PM. Reason: missing punc and some stylistic changes
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Kransha posted a wonderful thread-initiating bundle of words recently, concerning one of my favourite characters Denethor. Check it out, c'est tres bien.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 AM   #12
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Lies, darn lies, and statistics!
And who would have thought! I have been tought that 'statistics knows everything'. The world is full of disenchantments...

But I do see the point. Let it be so.

Er, with that in mind, allow me to play severe auntie's part again, and request that posters should provide full title and authorship of the nominées, please? With links, if you don't mind? Thank you!

So, Eomer of the Rohirrim nominates Kransha's The Importance of Being Denethor

cheers

Old 10-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I second that nomination of Kransha's new Denethor thread!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Now I've read it, I third the nomination

More, I would suggest to post it as an article on the main site.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:12 AM   #15
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb[/QUOTE
Right now, given the examples here, it seems to me that humour is of substantial worth to Downers, which is an interesting phenomenon, because, for example, davem is one of the two most highly rated posters here, but I cannot recall any of his contributions to Mirth or the RPGs. (not meaning to single out davem or to suggest any kind of question about the humorous posts or the rep system.)
Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to post as much as I'd like on the Downs (also, my sense of humour is something of an aquired taste & is usually taken the wrong way ), & if you've struggled through my only fanfic (Orophin Dreams of the Waters of Awakening - in the fanfic section), I'm not sure you'd want me involved in an RPG!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #16
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Games Downers play

Thank you HerenIstarion for providing that link and playing severe auntie. I had PMed a certain person suggesting a link would help but your gracious post was anything but severe.

Ah, davem, I have indeed read your fanfic. The main problem I can see if you and I were to join an RPG together is that we likely could never agree just what our intentions are. My bogan would forever be miswriting your spriggan. And vice versa.

Kransha's post is amazing. To be quite honest, it makes me realise that Meela was on to something about Denethor even though I couldn't understand her way of getting at it. Hmm. I hope that statement is taken the right way. It is meant as a compliment all round.

Having said that, I wish to acknowledge a rather unique contribution here. It is not one that most of us could make, but still I think it deserves great mention here: The Barrow Wight's Middle earth Magnets thread. This new game manages to combine several of the best features of our site: humour, playful respect for Tolkien, knowledge of Middle earth, imagination, and just darn good writing. A superb new contribution from the guy who just never runs out of great new ways to make this site interesting. Kudos!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-12-2004 at 09:43 AM. Reason: fixing the link
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I accept being scolded and whipped. Thank you HI for adding the necessary.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #18
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I hadn't noticed this thread highlighting Denethor until it was mentioned here, and having just read it (and drifted off somewhere through the first post, I must admit. I never was one for complexity.) I thoroughly back it and it's nominations.
It highlights much of what I have already studied, so at least I was more than familiar with the points raised.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #19
Tulkas the Mighty
Haunting Spirit

Tulkas the Mighty has just left Hobbiton.
Well it's not from this week, but this one has been one of the most entertaining I've read in a while.
Tulkas the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Which post did you mean, Tulkas? You linked to the thread, but not the individual post.

Regards,
Feanor
Old 10-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #21
Tulkas the Mighty
Haunting Spirit

Tulkas the Mighty has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry. i had thought I linked Lindolirian's post . That should work now. Fordim's was also funny.. Poor guy.
Tulkas the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots These laughs went Down well

Now why does Lindolirian's post make me think of Frodo sneaking mushrooms from Farmer Maggott's field? " Linfrodolirian"

This was, it seems to me, a very busy week on the forum. I haven't kept up with everything--which is a shame as I am sure there are other meritorious posts out there which deserve recognition-- but for now here are several posts which brought more than a wee chuckle to me this week.

Kransha's Hobbit Hooplah contains too many gems to quote here. Who could keep a straight face over the "legendary, elusive and often hunted homo legolasus" or Napoleon Bonaparte as the only French hobbit? It's as good on subsequent reads as on the first. We'll take your two kopecks' worth any week, Kransha.

Then there is Saucey's Lament for Celeborn . I'm sure that these pictures were indeed worth a thousand words and did more for Sauce's argument than any post on the Chapter by Chapter thread could have.

Deserving honourable mention for its proof that a good post need not imitate those of the Canonicity thread or Kalessin's rant is Rimbaud's one sentence reply on the "ONLY the Silmarillion" thread. It almost makes one wish burrahobbit would return also. Nice to have you back, Rim.

There were a great number of worthy posts on the Chapter by Chapter thread this week--Chapter 7, Galadriel's chapter, Book 2. An old nugget, Kalessin's Rant, proved that mining old threads can still bring forth treasures. And our hobbit discovery threads, from Child's serious thread to Lalwendë's mirth thread, were as good as a tankard or two.

I know I've missed threads and posts. Can anyone else suggest other posts they wish to single out for particular merit?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:05 AM   #23
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I second legendary, elusive and often hunted homo legolasus . 'To do' list activated.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I have a new nomination for post of the week - it's appropriate for the season, on-topic for LotR, and very funny besides! To top it off, it's the first post by a new member - what a way to start with a bang! Thanks, Kima Pesan, for Middle Earth Christmas Carols!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Unbelievable.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #26
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Brilliant!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #27
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

It was too big for the Quote of the Day thread, besides, it was the whole post worth nomination, and more - I doubt it is beatable for quite a while. So here it gets a higher honour (be it week-end or not), for the following is the best post of many weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
The Barrow Balrog comes with detachable wings that you can leave on or take off as you prefer. Better yet, buy two so you can have one of each. Invite your friends over and stage battles between the Winged and Non-Winged versions.

And, as a special gift, there is the Action Button Activator/Deactivator Key. Use it to turn the wing motion on or off, giving you total freedom to have a Balrog with wings that work, or wings that are simply for show.
The Barrow Products Post #76

Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #28
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
How utterly appropriate.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #29
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I definitely agree with that nomination. Now, where can I buy one? Or two, rather?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #30
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
LMP's Trickster thread: his first question and own answer to it were a good read. And of course everyone who posted on it as well.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #31
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

mark 12_30

with post #32 of Death of Crystal Heart thread by Child of Seventh Age

I won't spoil it with comments, read for yourselves

cheers

Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 AM   #32
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I would like to nominate Inktomi Slurp Spider's first post for not only being an enigma in itself, as well as hilarious, but for encouraging a highly on-topic and uh... somewhat in depth... discussion.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:57 AM   #33
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
mark 12_30 with post #32 of Death of Crystal Heart thread by Child of Seventh Age
Oops. I knew I should have done something else aside from repping it. Thanks, HI.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #34
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thumbs up

Wonderful to see people contributing here, and learning the various ideas and styles each of us appreciates! Helen's post is poignant and Inktomi Slurp Spider is certainly generating curiosity, but I would like to recommend a post here from someone who is long overdue for acknowledgement of fantastic contributions to the Downs.

Behind this post lie many others, week by week, which direct and inspire a very long-term discussion. Each of them could easily be nominated here, but since I'm back this week with my new computer, I have chosen to draw your attention to Estelyn Telcontar's initial post in the Chapter by Chapter thread "Book 3, chapter 11, The Palantir."

What I like in particular about this post is that is raises questions for us to answer about Pippin and provides some context for the use of the poem in this chapter. We seem quickly in the Chapter by Chapter discussion to jump ahead with ideas and connections and less interested in tying in the current thread with what has gone before. Not something wrong by any means, but it is good to have the eagle eye of the Ghosted Princess keeping track of when things were last brought into the story.

Kudos, Estelyn!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #35
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Can we nominate a whole thread? Me thinks the Death of Crystal Heart thread would win.

I nominate burrahobbit's post in the Death of Crystal Heart thread. http://69.51.5.41/showpost.php?p=377446&postcount=25

It is rather short, but it was so sudden (and shocking) that I later found it hilarious.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Oh what tangled threads we weave

My dear Nimrodel_9, there is indeed a thread to celebrate Best Thread of the Month.

However, one essential criteria is that the thread starter manage it successfully. I wonder if that has happened with The Fate of Crystal Heart thread.

Brevity, thy name is wit, or burra. He rocks, often. And I love him. But Esty still deserves considerable commendation for her work here. Sometimes the size (of a contribution) does matter.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #37
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Bethberry, Estelyn's faithfulness, thoughtfulness, and stamina is worthy of more honor than any single nomination can give. If only for Esty, there should be another awards ceremony at some point. Alas that I have no organization skills! But for starters, perhaps I shall make it a weekly habit to rep those opening posts.... I haven't seen one yet that wasn't worthy.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #38
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A further word on Crystal Heart....

Nimrodel_9

Quote:
Can we nominate a whole thread? Me thinks the Death of Crystal Heart thread would win.
No, you can not nominate the thread. I am the starter of the thread and will not accept a nomination. This situation has never come up before but I am assuming the starter of a thread has the right to decline when he or she feels that a nomination of the thread is little more than an attempt to elicit a laugh at the expense of the people who posted there. I can think of no other reason for nominating that thread.

You might feel differently if you had posted on the original thread. For the past week, my mailbox has been stuffed with notes from people who did post on that thread. A number of these writers were 'philosophical' about what had happened--similar to Mark12_30's excellent post; some were clearly upset by the fact that a poster had unfairly taken advantage of both themselves and others in this way.

We seem to fall into two broad groups: those who find the situation hilarious because they enjoy seeing people duped, and those who feel that there is something wrong when someone tells a lie about death and sits back to laugh at what others say. I'd like to think I'd be in the second group even if I had not started the thread.

Bethberry -

Quote:
However, one essential criteria is that the thread starter manage it successfully. I wonder if that has happened with The Fate of Crystal Heart thread.
You are correct. I did not manage the thread "successfully". For any interchange or conversation on this site to be "successful", people have to be willing to expose themselves enough to speak with some grain of honesty. This is as true in Mirth as it is in Books. When each of us posts on this site, we do so in the belief that others look at our ideas, whether serious or humorous, as having value. That did not happen here.

I can state with a fair degree of certainty that this situation will never again occur on this site. Moderators and admins will automatically assume that any announcement of serious illness, accident, or death is probably a hoax and will respond with corresponding skepticism. How sad and ironic given the meaning of the books that we are discussing!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-28-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #39
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

White-Hand

Let me step in here immediately with my sincere apologies to Child of the 7th Age. Child certainly knows how to manage a thread successfully. Some of the most successful and informative threads here on the Downs began with Child's thoughts and followed through under her excellent guidance.

When I made the post above stating that the Crystal Heart thread was not worthy of nomination, I was thinking completely in terms of the annoucement from the purported sister of Crystal. I had completely forgotten that Child had started the thread. It was Melissa after all who started things off with her claim about Crystal. That kind of affair certainly has no place in being commemorated for meritorious acclaim.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Child that to offer the event for nomination as best thread is to be completely insensitive to the feelings of those who believe they were taken advantage of. We try to build community here, not create divisions and dischord and bad feelings.

Again, Child, I did not have you in mind. My comments were intended totally towards the perpetrator of the hoax.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #40
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Child certainly knows how to manage a thread successfully.
Bethberry -

Well, I don't think I'd go that far but thank you for the positive words. I admit I have been known to go fleeing to the far hills when I get in over my head in a literary or philosophical discussion and leave it to others to finish running the gauntlet.

Like you, I am quite sure that there must be better threads to nominate for an honor other than the particular one under discussion.

To return to the topic of this thread, I want to put in another word on behalf of Esty's most recent chapter-by-chapter post. What amazes me is that she seems completely unflappable, at least on this site. No matter what craziness, she responds with calm assurance. Moreover, it's one thing to do book posts when you are in the "right" frame of mind. I often have a way of slipping in and out of the books forum based partly on my schedule and partly on my mood. It is another thing to do these chapter posts week after week no matter what kind of mood you are in. These chapter discussions get off to a much better start because Esty takes the time to think things through and poses a number of questions for us to begin thinking about in our own reading.

Finally, there have been few mentions of RPG posts on this awards thread, but I mean to change that in the coming weeks and give a tip of the hat to a writer or two who has done a gracious or humorous post. My first nod goes to Amanaduial the Archer for her post in the Green Dragon Inn on the continuing sage of the Innkeeper and that rascal Snaveling. She has done such a clever job with this post by weaving in a number of ongoing subplots and still finding time for a deliciously embarassing moment at the end.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 03-01-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote