The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Which way would you go?

Lets say you were tagging along with the fellowship. It's the breaking of the fellowship now. You stuck by the boats while everyone ran after the missing Frodo. This means you have the choise to hide and cach Frodo as he and Sam leave or wait and stay with Legolas,Gimli, and Aragorn. You could also run off and join the fighting or you could go off in search of Gollum and forget the fellowship.
Anyway what would you do.
I'd probably hide and go with Sam and Frodo. Though that probably mess the story up. Oh well.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that I would go with Frodo, yes, I agree that that would mess the story up but so would me just being there. The ring is really the most importent part of the story, nobody would servive if it wasn't destroyed, I would have liked to be a part of that (especially if Frodo was Elija Wood) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 03:30 PM   #3
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would be more than happy to be in Middle-Earth so which route I take i could not dcide until i actually was there....good question though..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And Hobbit's so not rule the world.......
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

LOL. I AGREE. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 04:32 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

I'd stick with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Of course, pursuing the Uruk-Hai would be quite a challenge, but I'm a good runner, I know what I'm getting into. And I would enjoy seeing Eomer and the men of Rohan. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]Hehehe. I wouldn't go into Mordor unless Frodo specifically requested me to. Plus, I'd enjoy hearing Legolas' songs along the way, as opposed to Gollum's creepy hissing.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uh...I'll wait here and guard the boats, guys. Good luck!"
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:30 PM   #7
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, knowing my luck, I'd be kidnapped by the Urak-Hai. But, if I had a choice, I'd go with Aragorn, Legalos and Gimli. Ah, the chance to be with the two sexist men alive!!

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
Banazîr
Pile O'Bones

Banazîr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would surely go with Frodo but maybe their relationship wouldn't grow the same and that would be bad because that's an important thing in the story.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:02 PM   #9
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I hope I'd have enough presence of mind to go with Frodo and Sam. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:59 PM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Gee, if I didn't know my way across Emyn Muil either, I think I'd be more use chasing the Uruk-Hai. At least I can follow an orc trail.

"Tell you what guys, let's split up. You and Gimli take care of Boromir, Legolas and I will follow the orcs. No sense letting the orcs get a two-day lead. We'll leave markings as to what we find, so you don't have to worry about missing the trail."
Old 03-04-2002, 09:17 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Better yet...
"Ai! Legolas! I think I have a splinter in my foot. Carry me? Yeah, I know that finding Merry and Pippin is important, but they're tough. They'll hold out. Now where were we? Ah, yes. Splinter in my foot. And did I mention the knot in my neck? The cramp in my side? Oh here, let me lie down..." [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I would probably do a good job pursuing the Uruk-hai. I could have been conference champion in cross country last fall. Unfortunately, a summer of no training and much indulgence in the "Siberian Crown" (the best beer on the face of the world) prevented that from happening. But running cross Middle Earth (with Legolas and Aragorn at my side), well, let's just say that it would take a lot more than a splinter to make me stop. They didn't call me the Russian Rocket for nothing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Glad to see you again, Maril! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #12
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Going with Sam and Frodo wouldn't be so bad...they look like they could really use an extra hand and I would really enjoy fishing with Gollum. Although I would probably turn tail and run when I saw Shelob because she freaks me out big time...and besides the fact that I hate spiders.

When I think of Shelob I suddenly think that kicking some orc buttocks wouldn't be so bad if I had Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn by my side...and they get to see the ents and the riders of Rohirrim...I keep thinking that I would be really cool to see Ents smashing Orthanc down. Seeing Merry and Pippin smoking pipe weed and imagining the looks on Gimli's and Aragorn's faces or Watching as Wormtongue tosses the seeing stone out the window would have been pretty funny.

I probably would just stay at the boats and chew my lip wondering if I should've stayed at Lothlorien.

~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:31 PM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My first idea was the same as Joy's - I'd probably end up stumbling into the Orcs and being kidnapped along with Merry and Pippin (I love traveling but have a tendency to get into trouble while doing it. Nothing palantir or orc-level, but some incidents almost as stressful). But if that didn't happen I'd go with Aragorn et al, and the reason is pretty simple - they would probably want the extra person along; there's always room for someone else to help stand watch and possibly spot clues (not that I'm saying I'd be especially good at either, just that another pair of eyes is always helpful to have around). As for the running - well, if I wasn't in good condition before it started, I certainly would be *afterwards*.

Going with Frodo would be impossible because Frodo manifestly did NOT want anyone going with him; Sam only ended up going because he was such good friends with Frodo that he could pretty much read his mind. Even if I guessed what Frodo was up to and joined up with him, he wouldn't exactly welcome the company - he'd just get another massive load of guilt on his mind thinking that great, now he'd be responsible for getting *me* killed as well as Sam. And Frodo's under enough stress as it is anyway - couldn't add that to it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img].

As for going off alone - not in wartime, wouldn't even think about it. Much better to stick with people who have some fighting skills instead of wandering off randomly. That's how I see it, anyway.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:39 PM   #14
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question

Hm. Not that I'd go IN the boat with Frodo and Sam, but...If I were an animal metamorph or something I'd surely follow...(oops. Did I say metamorph? Wrong story line....) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Gandalf: "Sam, do you know what Kingsfoil is?"
Sam: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] "That's a weed! "
(Yeah, I know, that particular instance didn't happen that way in the book. Nevertheless, I thought it was kinda cute/funny that Gandalf asked Sam of all people, and of course, Sam's response....) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #15
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gotta go with my kind and go kick some orc a$#!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Especially since my fan fiction character's prefered weapon is a mace! Ever see a mace wielding Elven maiden?!?! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] That would definitely mess the story up, wouldn't it! LOL! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't want to interfere with hobbits. That's one serious relationship! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 12:43 AM   #16
Morgoth of Angband

The Eye

i would go with frodo and sam so i could steal the ring and rule middle earth. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 07:58 AM   #17
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Hmm... I figure it would go like this:

"Niphredil, your feet are too short! I know you love Merry, but you stand no change in following the orcs. The best thing you could do would be traveling to Minas Tirith with the news of Boromir's death."
"What about Frodo, Strider? I could follow him."
"I daresay he would not like that. He wanted to go alone."
"All right, to Minas Tirith it is."
"Farewell, Niphredil!"
"I'll miss you, Legolas!"
"Hmph!"
"You too, Gimli."

And then I would get lost.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:43 AM   #18
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

I would take a boat and high tail it back to Lorien most likely... ;-)

But if I had to choose, I'd go with the big guys and hunt some Orc. Then I'd get to ride a horse of Rohan and fight at Helm's Deep...yeah that'd be fun. (I might have to hide behind Legolas at times though, cause dang that would be scary!) Although then I'd miss the Oliphant <woah spelling> I'd have to hurt same for cooking bunnies, so yeah my best bet would be going after Merry and Pip.

Nilaraniel
Old 03-05-2002, 08:16 PM   #19
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I'd go with Pippin and Merry. It'd probably be a lot of fun to hang out with them, except for the part where we get kicked around by orcs... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 09:49 PM   #20
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
White-Hand

Well, hello, there, Elanor, where have you been?
(kidding....)
Welcome to the downs!
Quote:
"Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #21
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

Personaly, I think I would go with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas to look for Merry and Pippin. I alway love a chase!!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:13 PM   #22
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'd would go with Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. I totally would have to save the funny hobbits. Ok so they didn't need rescuing, but the other guys didn't know that.

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:28 AM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Hm. Don't rightly know what I'd do if I had a choice but I'm pretty sure of what would happen either way.

With Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli:

Rosa: *gasp, pant* Can't...run...anymore...*flop*
Legolas: *rolls eyes*
Gimli: Aw, c'mon, we've only gone a few yards! I can still see the river for cryin' out loud!
Aragorn: *pulls the other two closer and whispers confidentially* I say we make a run for it when she turns her back...

I'm pretty sure Gollum would stay away from Sam and Frodo if I went with them, though.

*Sam and Frodo get out of the boat on the other side of the river. Suddenly, Rosa pops out of the water with a guitar*
Rosa: Everybody sing! *sings badly* Kumbaya, my Lord!...
Sam and Frodo: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!
Sam: Run, Mr. Frodo, run!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:13 AM   #24
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!
Would you realy sing? LOL!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:02 AM   #25
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rosa, if you went to the Black Gates and sang "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins", the orcs would probably throw down their arms and surrender! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Arrrrggghhhhh! We'll throw the Ring in the fire ourselves, if you just quit singing that song!"

(Of course, by now Frodo and Sam have split.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #26
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very funny Rosa! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ROTFLMBFHO

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #27
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ROFL Rosa!!
I'd probably follow Aragorn, Gimli and legolas, I have my reasons and they DON'T include Legolas.
But would you go to Gondor with Gandalf or would you go to Dunharrow?
Old 03-06-2002, 03:59 PM   #28
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

Lol!! I am with you Rosa! Ha ha, I would probably die of exhaustion eather with Frodo and Sam or Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli! Ha ha
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:51 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Boots

I'm sure I would die a happy death from exhaustion surrounded by Legolas, Aragorn, and that stunning, handsome, and magnificent manifestation of the work of Aule, the stud of Middle Earth who goes by simply Gimli, son of Gloin. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
If I do, however, put my old cross country skills to use, and somehow survive it all, including Helm's Deep (you'll probably see me stabbing the Orcs with a stiletto heel, or creating a nice "distraction" for the enemy by ripping off my clothes and doing a dance from Silmarillion: The Musical), when it comes for parting, I think I'd go on to Durnharrow. Not just because all the handsome guys are going that way (though that's a definite factor), but, really, I don't like Denethor, and don't want him trying to set me on fire for practice purposes, or something.
The Paths of the Dead will be tough, but maybe I'll get to clutch Legolas' hand. Plus, imagine the big entrance afterwards, unfurled banners and all!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:57 PM   #30
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Quote:
Would you realy sing? LOL
Eh, probably not. Don't wanna bring all of Mordor to our area, donchaknow! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'd probably be more like:

Rosa: Are we there yet?
Sam: No.
Frodo: No.
Sam/Frodo: No!
Gollum: *hands over ears* Poor Smeagol, spends all his time taking nice hobbitses through dark lands and all he gets is "Is we there yet, precious? Is we?" We don't like it at all, no precious, we doesn't...
Rosa: *pauses, blinks* So...are we there yet now?!
Frodo/Sam/Gollum: ARGH!!!

Quote:
"Arrrrggghhhhh! We'll throw the Ring in the fire ourselves, if you just quit singing that song!"
ROFLMBO!!! I knew there was a purpose for that wretched song!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:14 PM   #31
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know, if "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" didn't do it, you could always have an encore of "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] . The Orcs would probably just fall on their swords at that point (especially if I joined in to harmonize). And of course if you just want to flat-out confuse them, "Where there's a whip, there's way" might help...
Old 03-06-2002, 09:22 PM   #32
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

*hi Lush*

Oh, if we're going that far ahead, I can see myself now..

"Pippin, I'll help you 'borrow' that crystal globe if you'll give me a peek too."

I'll take any excuse ride Shadowfax, and see Minas Tirith at dawn in all her glory. Denethor is not so bad. I've always done well with difficult bosses.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:24 PM   #33
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Omigod, Kalimac. If you got the "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" warble just right you could bring down the towers of the teeth on the spot.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:03 PM   #34
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I, personally, would go with Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli. I am sorry, but I love Merry and Pippin! Besides, Frodo left the Fellowship on perpose, so I shouldn't follow him if he doesn't want me too [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I want to "hunt some orc!"
OK, I have passed the cheese level in posting, sorry [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 09:42 AM   #35
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I'd do what I always do: wander off in whichever direction seemed best. Chances are that I'd end up as a very rear guard for the running party though: *four hundred yards from the landing, he stops* "Hang on, lads; I'm knackered." *deftly rolls an extremely suspicious cigarette and produces a battered Ronson* "I'll catch up with you in a minute".
Old 03-08-2002, 08:21 PM   #36
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is that big fear factor thing! It is hard to run with your knees knocking together! If I could muster my bravery... I'd think the ring mission more important & look for Frodo. If I remained chicken I would follow big strong Aragorn!
Old 03-09-2002, 07:26 AM   #37
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Question

god thats a hard question!! emm....i'd probably run off looking for frodo with merry and pippin and end up being carted off my uglik myself so i wouldnt really have a choice!!! *laughs* nah, if i could bring myself to do it (and if i was able to) i'd try to help aragorn, legolas and gimli killing the orcs- i dunno what a 15 year old would do that they couldnt, but you never know! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:44 AM   #38
Isenguard

Sting

I think all of them would be just fine without me (according to the book) - so I would probably go my own way, back to Rivendell and The Shire - it's definitely much nicer there than in Mordor [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #39
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I realize: Old post, but I would like to anser it!

I would go with Legolas.

Let me rephrase: Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn (better if it were just Legolas and me, but...oh well...).

Well, yeah, there is the "splinter carry me...cramped neck..." aspect that I would play out:

Me at Khazad-Dum - Oops! Look...I am almost falling! Catch me Legolas! Hold me against your strong chest, for I am afeared of heights! Carry me across the bridge, for I believe I have sprained me ankle!

But then he would think me weak...I'd have to kick some major Uruk-Hai butt in the story *I probably would too [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] *.

But I would also go with them to see the ships and Gandalf coming back. Not to mention countless opportunities to flirt *who said that?! Not meeeee! Hey! I am 14: What dost thou expect?*

Also, I think it would be good to go along the paths of the Dead with them...hmmm:
Legolas! Oh no! I am scared! Hold me!

Sorry: mind gets carried away...but, even if Legolas were not the prince of Mirkwood, I would go with Gimli and Aragorn: I love Merry and Pippin too much! lol
Old 03-26-2002, 08:05 PM   #40
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Sting

Poor Legolas!

And I'd prefer to be with the three, but with my luck I'll be alone in some nasty place... collective work and easy work seem always to be for someone else
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote