The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Question about Gandalf's Staff (please help)

In the movie Saruman took Gandalf's staff when Gandalf just before trapping Gandalf on Orthanc, but then Gandalf has it back when they leave Rivendell...So how did he get it back...<P>(picures the following scenario in her mind)<P>Gandalf goes back to Isengard after escaping and rings the doorbell<P>"Umm, Saruman, would you mind giving me my staff back? I just may need it."<P>or how's this scenario..<P>Gandalf: Listen Saruman, I'm going to escape in a second by leaping onto Gwaihir, and I was just wondering if before I go, I could have my staff, we'll consider it my parting gift.<P>Hmmmm...nope, sorry, I don't see this happening...<P>Or perhaps he had a new staff, and if so where did he get it, I don't remember seeing any shops in Middle-earth.<P>(as for his white staff when he turns white later on, i don't know where that came from either, but I'll just stick to my idea that it's a reincarnation of his grey staff...now if only i knew how he got the grey staff returned lol)
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I can (sort of) explain how he got his white stick. When he died, he was reborn into a different, but very similar body. He went to Lothlorien, where Galadriel clothed him and most likely gave him the staff that had probably already been prepared for him.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^yeh, the white staff I wasn't overly confused about, it's just the grey one that I'm having difficulties seeing him gettnig ahold of it
Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

That would appear to be one of the things that PJ didn't think out when they did the movie. It doesn't say anything about Saruman taking Gandalf's staff in the book. I don't know how he got it back; it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^yeh, i know it didn't happen in the book, makes me wonder why PJ even put that into the movie when it really doesn't make any sense..(at least not to me lol) ...so I guess we just assume that Saruman has a good side and gave it back jk
Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you look closely at his staff before and after Isengard, you will notice that they are different.<P>H.C.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Yes, we never know quite how Gandalf got a "spare" staff...or if he has any more hidden in that tall hat of his. <P>But the first one has a slot for his pipe to slide into. The second one is different. The third was no doubt a gift to him from Lothlorien. Allow me to once again assert my comedic version of Gandalf being dropped of by the eagle: *Gandalf, still naked, tiptoes behind a huge Mallorn tree, just in time to duck some Elf-maids walking past* <P>Gandalf: PSSSSSSSSSST! Haldir!!!!! Throw me that rug!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:21 AM   #8
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If you look closely at his staff before and after Isengard, you will notice they are different. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is his pipe still in it after Isengard? Because I didn't pay attention until later in the movie, when he stuck the crystal into it, in Moria.<BR>Or is it diff because it's changed?<BR>Confused.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote