The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2002, 07:09 PM   #1
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Moriquendi?

Okay, I'm going to swallow my pride and ask if anyone can give me info on the Moriquendi. I'm too busy (and lazy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) to read the Silm right now, and my copy of The New Tolkien Companion hasn't arrived yet. I'm in the middle of a RPG and need this info for a character ASAP. Thanx!!

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:22 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

all the elves that did not return across the sea when the Valar summoned them were termed Moriquendi (the elves who stayed in the darkness) or later called the Avari (the Unwilling, or the Refusers).

the Silmarillion is a great book -- and it is possible to read it in small portions!!
Old 05-03-2002, 05:38 AM   #3
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Moriquendi are the elves who never saw the Two Trees' light (hence their name of course, elves of darkness). I believe the story goes that when the first elves awoke at Cuivenen (sorry forgot spelling), the Valar summoned them to Valinor. Unfortunately Melkor (who found out first about their awakening) was able to waylay some, sowing terror. (From this tale, it was said that Melkor corrupted some captured elves and they became orcs, nemesis to the elves).
That's way some elves did not heed the call and never came to Valinor.

From the Moriquendi branched the Avari (the "Unwilling"), the Nandor, among several.

There's a chart in the index of the Sil that shows their sundering. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey, your RPG sounds interesting, will it be in BD or another site? Can I join in once it you've got it all together? I am trying to come up with one with Beleriand as the setting after the exile... kinda stuck still actually [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:23 AM   #4
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanx a ton both of you! Perhaps once school ends I'll have more time for reading!

Thalionyulma, my RPG is one Airetalathwen, Elf-herself and I have created on our own site. Email me at niereteleliniel@yahoo.com if you want more info (we really need more people!)

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 04:39 AM   #5
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The copy of the Silm that I have has a chart in the Appendixes that shows the relations of the different branches of elves. FYI the Sindar are Teleri who stayed in Beleriand. The Nandor left the great march prior to reaching the misty mountains and the Laiquendi are offshoot of the Nandor who settled in Ossiriand. All three groups make up Umanyar (Eldar who were not of Aman). So the Umanyar in combination with the Avari (those who ignored the Valar's call to come to Aman) make up the Moriquendi or Elves of Darkness.
So good luck with your RPG.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote