Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #521
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I've gone and lost Saeryn's age. Does anybody remember if I definitively mentioned it anywhere?
Aye, she's as old as Degas.

Actually, I don't remember, but Saeryn was introduced to the game before I came along.

-- Folwren
Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #522
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Yes, well... it's exactly that reason that I need to know... that and if somebody asks her. "Well, I'm either 18, or 20, but you see, I'm not entirely sure, given that my writer never bothered to write it down." I'm writing up a bio for Degas, so now I'm thinking on it and can't remember.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #523
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Thanks for the welcome. We shall see how cunning Náin is... Oh, and thanks to LMP and Fea, it seems that he's set up for a first comission. Double-scale hobbit statue, anyone?

On that note, how tall IS Falco? With the normal Hobbit range being between 2 and 4 feet, this statue could be a mere table-topper if only lifesize.
Let's figure 3' 6".

Make it 18, I'd say...; old enough to be married off, not old enough to have means to stave it off other than running away....and that makes Eodwine go a little more bonkers in his brain, taking himself to task for getting distracted by such a young thing at his 'advanced' age....
Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #524
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What's happened to the Mead Hall, by the way? What are the plans? I don't think I'll be writing any more for this particular day until later in the afternoon (in the game) at which time I'm going to do a post about Thornden and his sister. . .and then I would like to be able to come back and talk to Lys. I don't think Thornden will be getting back to the Mead Hall until after dark, though.

So, what's going on?

-- Folwren
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #525
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
What's happened to the Mead Hall, by the way? What are the plans? I don't think I'll be writing any more for this particular day until later in the afternoon (in the game) at which time I'm going to do a post about Thornden and his sister. . .and then I would like to be able to come back and talk to Lys. I don't think Thornden will be getting back to the Mead Hall until after dark, though.

So, what's going on?

-- Folwren
Good question. I'm waiting for Formy's Nain to respond to Falco. It looks like I'm due to say something to Degas and friends, and I haven't had a chance to get at a computer for any reasonable length of time since Monday. There needs to be a general search of the fairgrounds, which will feel fruitless until word spreads, and finally when the thing shuts down just before twilight, the Mead hall friends will conclude that Linduial is lost, kidnapped, or worse; at that point Eodwine will challenge Degas to hightail it to Dol Amroth; at which point someone ought to come with a message for Eodwine from the kidnapper. Who wants to be the message bearer? If I know, then I can work it into my post. That will close out the Night.

After that, I'm going to move the Game ahead 20 days, which means April 24 (still grrrr behind our calendar), at which time Eodwine will give his decisions regarding the month-long trial periods of all his new hirelings.

Any questions?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #526
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Jen's ransom note post for the mini-game has the queen herself coming to inform them of the happenings.

How are we splitting events between the two? Write at the Hall up to the point where Jen has the queen coming (which is pretty much the search of the fairgrounds and getting to the Hall where they see that she's definately not there) and then transfer that story to the other thread and continue onward in both places?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #527
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Jen's ransom note post for the mini-game has the queen herself coming to inform them of the happenings.

How are we splitting events between the two? Write at the Hall up to the point where Jen has the queen coming (which is pretty much the search of the fairgrounds and getting to the Hall where they see that she's definately not there) and then transfer that story to the other thread and continue onward in both places?
I've scanned the Abduction thread. Okay..... corrections to my last post:

I'll make one last post for Eodwine that is pre-sub-plot rpg, in which he dresses down Degas and then all of the mead hall friends go there, at which point the sub-rpg takes over the plot.

We'll start on April 24 Game time, with my next post. Okay, everybody?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-03-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #528
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Good for me.

A note: Saeryn and Degas were born on May 1st. Saeryn hasn't informed anybody that her 19th birthday is coming up and is unlikely to. Degas, on the other hand, has no qualms about throwing her a party.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #529
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I've scanned the Abduction thread. Okay..... corrections to my last post:

I'll make one last post for Eodwine that is pre-sub-plot rpg, in which he dresses down Degas and then all of the mead hall friends go there, at which point the sub-rpg takes over the plot.

We'll start on April 24 Game time, with my next post. Okay, everybody?
What?! Oh, very well. I guess so. I had been looking forward to writing a post with a discussion between Thornden and his sister about Rose and her family...could have gotten some real amusement out of that one. And then coming back to meet Lys...but that second part can be made up later, I guess.

If all this is entirely out of the question, though, I'll have to live with it. Don't want to put the rest of you out of commission.

-- Folwren
Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #530
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
lmp

Do you or anyone else mind if I do an occassional Away post for Rose and her family?

At some point, I'll bring them for a trip into the "big" city.

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #531
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
White-Hand

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted much Rl has been keeping me overly busy lately.

Wow It looks like I have lot's to catch up on!

hmm but one thing has thrown me well my character actually.

Quote:
Fourth Age Year 15. 16, actually, come to think of it, seeing as a new March 25 has just come and gone lately.....
You see young Æðelhild was written with the old White horses time line in mind.

Quote:
The White Horse Inn, Act III

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The curtain rises on The White Horse Inn, Act III, Rohan's premier Inn and purveyor of fine gaming and characters.

The plot so far:

It is the 4th Age, Year One. This is the year 1423 by Shire Reckoning and four years after the events of the War of the Ring, fourteen years after the events of the previous White Horse Inn.
but now that we have jumped forward some 15yrs or so, it does not quite work out. As this would make her not even born during the war of the ring as she is only just approaching 18yrs, making all the posts about serving with the healers and knowing both her father and grandfather before their deaths some what redundant.

I'm thinking that I may have to age her somewhat instead of 18yrs she may have to be about 27yrs, but then I think somewhere Leof mentions something about them being of simmilair ages hmmm *stumped*

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Nerindel; 05-03-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #532
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Updated Mead Hall plan:

New plan.

The hallway has been squared off. I imagine there are windows in the hallway looking out on the alder court, maybe some shelving in between them and along the opposite wall for added storage. Those corners make some nice nooks on the outside. Benches? Plants? Statues of hobbits?

I'm not entirely sure what the larger gray box in the kitchen represents, but it's there.

I'm not sure I have much to add right now. At least, nothing that I can't handle in retrospect after the time change if I don't have a chance to post before the switch. I might not, since I sort of have a big shelf exam at the end of next week in a massive topic, but I'll try.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #533
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I'm thinking that I may have to age her somewhat instead of 18yrs she may have to be about 27yrs, but then I think somewhere Leof mentions something about them being of simmilair ages hmmm *stumped*
Yeah, somehow I don't think the two of them would have hit it off quite so well if she was ten years older than him...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #534
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I had been looking forward to writing a post with a discussion between Thornden and his sister about Rose and her family...could have gotten some real amusement out of that one.
How about writing it anyway, just put it as something that happened in the past and Thornden is reliving it in his mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë
Do you or anyone else mind if I do an occassional Away post for Rose and her family?
Not at all. Please do! It's part of the story now, and to now have it would be a loss we don't want to grieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
I'm thinking that I may have to age her somewhat instead of 18yrs she may have to be about 27yrs, but then I think somewhere Leof mentions something about them being of simmilair ages hmmm *stumped* Any suggestions?
Uh oh. That's a goof on my part. I'm sorry. Could there be a different war? or battle? I really don't know what to say....
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #535
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
That could work:
Quote:
Appendix A:
For though Sauron had passed, the hatreds and evils that he bred had not died, and the King of the West had many enemies to subdue before the White Tree could grow in peace.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #536
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Good question. I'm waiting for Formy's Nain to respond to Falco.
That's been done, as I'm sure you'll have seen by the time you read this... I hope my characterization of Falco isn't too far off the mark- and I hope he smokes Longbottom Leaf, and not Old Toby or Southern Star. However, that's easily changed.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #537
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Looks good, Formy.

Folwren, I think you could still have Thorden return to the mead hall to close out this Day, and see Lys.

Nerindel, how about something having to do with orcs marauding in the mountains just east of Ithilien, or maybe a Haradrim mini-war in Pelargir which could have been the history for Æðelhild? Unless you really want the War of the Ring connection? If so, I think you could still have A befriend Léof, in terms of being kindred spirits instead of same age. Might be more interesting that way; the age difference could actually turn into a rather fun dynamic that way.... just thinking out loud.....
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #538
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Do you need an actual Degas-searching-the-fair post or can we run on the assumption that he did?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #539
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Do you need an actual Degas-searching-the-fair post or can we run on the assumption that he did?
Figure he did.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #540
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh good.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #541
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Folwren, is Thornden going to come back to see Lys this Day?

Cool post, Anguirel. Is it possible to make the Manawyth story a subplot in the Abduction story so that we can move ahead the amount of time I'd like with the mead hall thread? Because Manawyth's criminal case will come before Eodwine on the very next day without a doubt. I'll have to check on that....

And another thing. Since Lothiriel comes to the mead hall with the abductor's letter in hand, which starts the sub-plot on the new thread, then I'll have to transfer Saeryn's curiosity over Eodwine's dream, and his eventual telling of that dream, to the Abduction story-line as well.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #542
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Trouble being that I had no plan whatsoever to include Saeryn in the sub-plot. I can, but I hadn't really meant to participate at all, given my distinct lack of time if the thing runs over about three weeks. What would Saeryn's place in the sub-plot even be?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #543
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sorry I've been so quiet everyone. Lys doesn't have much to do, really ...

LMP, I'd say that seeing Lys is a must. It'd be a bit of an awkward post to try and recap a few weeks of major events, if that makes sense

Perhaps Foley could post, and I make the final post for the day? Up to you, completely.

Tara
Old 05-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #544
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Trouble being that I had no plan whatsoever to include Saeryn in the sub-plot.
In that case we may need to move Lothiriel's arrival at the Mead Hall into the Eorling Mead Hall thread and out of the Abduction thread. That would restore continuity and get the stalled mead hall thread the restart it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralphiel
I'd say that seeing Lys is a must. It'd be a bit of an awkward post to try and recap a few weeks of major events, if that makes sense.
Like I said above.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #545
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Folwren, I think you could still have Thorden return to the mead hall to close out this Day, and see Lys.

----

Folwren, is Thornden going to come back to see Lys this Day?
I'm so sorry! Yes, I would love to do that, actually. It would be awesome if I could bring Thornden back and do a meeting Lys post for this first day. Do you want me to finish the day, or will Tara write a post after me, or what? It would be nice if she could squeeze a post in there before we jumped a few weeks.

Also, what will be the status of everyone in the Mead Hall when Thornden returns after night fall? Hectic? Or will everyone be calm and tired out by their day of utter horribleness. (I'm sorry, I'm at a horrid loss of words at the moment. I'm extremely tired. . .won't go into detail.) Let me know and I'll try to post today.

-- Folwren
Old 05-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #546
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I'm so sorry! Yes, I would love to do that, actually. It would be awesome if I could bring Thornden back and do a meeting Lys post for this first day. Do you want me to finish the day, or will Tara write a post after me, or what?
Good. Folwren & Tara both post, and I'll save the last post of the Day for Eodwine.

Quote:
Also, what will be the status of everyone in the Mead Hall when Thornden returns after night fall? Hectic? Or will everyone be calm and tired out by their day of utter horribleness?
Calm and tired out. Yes, that's what it will be.

Feanor, any chance for a short conversation between Saeryn and Eodwine to wrap up the Day? Perhaps a PM convo?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #547
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, good. Post on the way.

---

Edit: Posted. Tara, I left it open for Lys to respond as he would to Thornden. If you woud like to have Lys ask a few, common questions about who Thornden is, what his name is, or whatever, go ahead and talk for Thornden. Have fun with it.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 05-07-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #548
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Feanor, any chance for a short conversation between Saeryn and Eodwine to wrap up the Day? Perhaps a PM convo?
Yes. And will Degas be sent out within or before that? I'd like my next post for him to be in Gondor, if possible.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #549
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Thanks Fol and lmp . I'll get to work on that post now. Should be up by the end of the day.

Tara
Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #550
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assumed Degas would be sent out in the Abduction thread, in whatever Eodwine's first response was.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #551
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Responses to my last post will go in the Abduction to Edoras thread.

Continuations of the Mead Hall storyline belong here.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #552
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have moved my post to where I think it belongs. I hope I am right. If not, Pio can put it back where it belongs.

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #553
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril Coming home!

Hullo all!

I do hope to get involved in a roleplay here soon, but for now I'll just wait in the mead hall (I hope it will give me enough of a refresher course... I haven't done this in so long). Lovely to see some of you old friends, and I'm looking forward to making some new acquaintances!

with love,
Ithaeliel
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #554
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Welcome, Ithaeliel, to the Eorling Mead Hall.

Question: is "Eorl" supposed to be the lord of the Eorling Mead Hall? Or is that someone else? The name of the Eorl of Middle Emnet, and therefore the lord at the Eorling Mead Hall, is Eodwine. That may be confusing, I know, but blame the Anglo-Saxons.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #555
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Time jump comes next, lmp?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #556
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Time jump comes next, lmp?
Yes.

But I have to figure out with Anguirel where to place the Manawyth horse-thieving sub-plot. Would that be a whole 20 days later? Or would it be the very next day? In the culture I would expect it to be the very next day, but maybe we could find a believable reason why it would take 20 days before trial. Any ideas, Ang?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 AM   #557
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Why would it be the next day? Kings and Lords in that era might set aside a day once a month in which cases are heard, and anyone who has something to set before the lord may come and do so. Meanwhile, someone would have to offer surety for Manawyth or he would remain imprisoned, and the horse would be stabled somewhere neutral (Meduseld, perhaps?) with the cost bourne by the loser of the case, whenever it is heard.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #558
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Anglo-Saxons didn't really go in for prisons, especially for ignoble horse-thieves...

A surety sounds like a vaguely good idea. Could some Mead Hall guard like, say, Garwine, encounter Cuichelm with Manawyth, hear what's gone on and take Manawyth back to the Inn under the Eorl's surety till the trial?

Another, rather desperate expedient would be for Manawyth to escape from his captors, become a wild outlawed woodsman, and then be recaptured and brought to trial whenever is convenient. It would require a rather adventurous post from me, but I think I'm up for it...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #559
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Take your pick, Anguirel.

First off, the place where Manawyth was apprehended, was in the midst of Edoras, which is in Middle Emnet. Therefore, he actually comes under the jurisdiction of Eodwine. This may not necessarily be understood by the locals yet, so they'd bring Manawyth to Meduseld and be informed that they'd gone to the wrong place, and they had better 'move it to the Eorling Mead Hall'. Which puts them in a bit of a bind, as suddenly they realize their hopes of getting Manawyth amputated at the wrist, ankle, or neck, or whatever, suddenly has become less likely, as Eodwine is himself likely to speak for Manawyth.

Anyway, Eodwine will set a date for as long as he feels like. Which will be 20 days hence, because he wants the month to be over and Manawyth to be declared "his man" before the trial begins, for the sake of protection.

But if Manawyth tries to escape and make Eodwine's job of protecting him that much harder, go for it. It's up to you, Ang.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #560
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Weeell...the Escape plan would be wonderfully ironic.

But I won't be able to get it up till the day after tomorrow or so.

So if you want a quicker time jump, we'd better go with the less Baroque course...otherwise I'd love to write my get-away.