The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Dark Lord
Pile O'Bones

Dark Lord has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Alternative Ending?

Hello.

Would you guys like to see an alternative ending for the Lord of the Rings? I know most of you people will say, 'It will destroy the series' if PJ did that, but hear me out.

It probably won't happen anyway because, why would PJ go through all that trouble, re - hiring the actors, going to the locations just to make an alternative ending and probably not making any money out if it? I don't know, I can only dream.

We can start with this. We can name the ending where Frodo destroys the ring, the 'real' ending and the other ending, where Sauron takes over the world, the 'fake' ending. This will prove that the real ending, is actually the main one so people don't get the representation that it isn't.

Secondly, he can leave the first and second movies untouched, but for the third movie...

He could either, let Sam NOT take the ring, so the Orcs take the ring and take it to Sauron when Frodo is captured.

Or

That an event happens where Frodo escapes with the ring (near Mt Doom), while Gollum chasing after him. Then, the Ring Wraiths come along, take the ring, and give it back to Sauron.

After that, show footage Aragorn, Gandalf etc, getting slaughtered at the Black Gate. And after that? Oh I don't know, show the ending where everything burns? Show what happens to the free people's?

I can only dream, I guess...
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
PJ "probably" won't do it? Of course he won't! I mean, why would he want to?

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-27-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: word left out
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Dark Lord
Pile O'Bones

Dark Lord has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
PJ "probably" won't do it? Of course he won't! I mean, why would he want to?

To make fans happier? To make me extremely happy? To give a different perspective of what it would be like, so fans are more 'thankful' that he didn't really win?
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post
To make fans happier? To make me extremely happy? To give a different perspective of what it would be like, so fans are more 'thankful' that he didn't really win?
But you're just one person. I doubt very much there is a widespread demand for such a thing. And if there was– well, then, how about a fan-edit? Film directors simply never do what you're suggesting. (A "director's cut" sometimes restores an original ending that was changed for the theatrical release– but that's not the same thing.)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Given how much unreleased material there still supposedly is from the films, both book based (Faramir and Éowyn's wedding, Gimli in Aglarond etc.) and bizarre (Faramir having some weird vision of a Gollum-Frodo corrupted by the Ring, http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...54-474-480.jpg - only click if you want to be motivated to claw out your own eyes) I'm almost surprised that PJ didn't at some point film a Sauron-victory. Perhaps Gandalf could have dreamed it after smoking a whole barrel of Pipe-weed or something equally misguided. But that would have meant less time in the entire sequence of films could have been devoted to Helm's Deep, so obviously that couldn't be an option.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I Sauron victory would have made me happier? Um... no.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
The book has so many endings: The destruction of the Ring, the crowning and wedding of Aragorn, the battle for the Shire, the Grey Havens. Why not go the whole hog and have a narated tale with relevant images of the Fellowship as in Appendix B? ...

The death of Rose with Mayor Samwise passing the Red Book to Elanor and departing for the Havens.
The death of Merry at Edoras, of Thain Peregrin in Minas Tirith.
The death of Aragorn and the departure of Legolas with Gimli to the Havens.

But we need not stop there because there's still:

The handing down of the Red Book through the ages until it comes into the hands of a cryptographer and university professor.
The book falls into the hands of cartoonists.
Peter Jackson searches for the location of Middle Earth but fails to cast the cartoon influence into the Crack of Doom.
The public come to the rescue and push him in before he can make another trilogy.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I Sauron victory would have made me happier? Um... no.
Well, that's the thing... to everybody else, I think, it just seems so... random.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Hello.

Would you guys like to see an alternative ending for the Lord of the Rings? I know most of you people will say, 'It will destroy the series' if PJ did that, but hear me out.

It probably won't happen anyway because, why would PJ go through all that trouble, re - hiring the actors, going to the locations just to make an alternative ending and probably not making any money out if it? I don't know, I can only dream.

I can only dream, I guess...
Or you could emigrate to one of the countries in the world which are ruled by despots. You might find it less agreable.

What you propose is so anti the spirit of the book that I can't imagine it being much in demand and frankly I find the idea distasteful. Really find the concept abhorrent. Tolkien knew the reality of war as I suspect you don't .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
What if the alternate ending had a troll get the One Ring and keep it for himself? Have a troll rule Middle-earth! Just think, we'd all be speakin' wif a barmy accent, if'n ye get me meanin' gov. An' we'd 'ave mutton fer lunch an' mutton for dinner - nofin' but mutton each an' ev'ry.

But of course boorish posting would be de rigueur on the forum.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
How's that for an alternative ending?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
How's that for an alternative ending?
That causes a similar sinking feeling in me that only waking up after dreaming the next day already happened does.

(Personally I think PJ has already started destroying the series.)

Theoretically, this kind of movie might have happened if Sauron had been shown as the protagonist from the start. Nobody wants a disappointing ending, and the characters most viewers have rooted for throughout the entire trilogy failing and dying doesn't count as a happy one.

If you read the books (The Silmarillion in particular), you'll find cool stuff about Sauron's earlier victories (and if something isn't stated explicitly, there should still be fan fiction, even though the quality may vary a lot). That might make up for his eventual loss.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Clearly this new version PJ might shoot for Dark Lord's benefit must also include the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
what if Niniel hadn't turned out to be Turin's sister - & what if Eowyn had been married before she rode to war &, after killing the Witch King it had turned out her husband was really her long lost brother?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There are a lot of things I wish had alternative endings, such as: Twilight ends with Bella saying "Oh clear off, creepy stalker guy" after the first chapter; 50 Shades of Grey ends likewise after five tedious pages; Eastenders ends when Albert Square is bulldozed to make way for a new mansion for Boris Johnson; 300 ends when someone goes back in time so Frank Miller becomes an insurance salesman instead; or Braveheart ends with an actual historian telling us how it was just Mel Gibson having a dream about some fantasy version of Scotland.

But Lord of the Rings ends in the right way and thankfully, Jackson ends it that way, mostly, too. I'm cool with that.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But Lord of the Rings ends in the right way and thankfully, Jackson ends it that way, mostly, too.

Well, other than the Scouring of the Shire, but what the hey.....
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
But Lord of the Rings ends in the right way and thankfully, Jackson ends it that way, mostly, too.

Well, other than the Scouring of the Shire, but what the hey.....
Hence the 'mostly'
Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
My preferred alternative ending is that Gollum avoids Falling into the crack of doom, somehow sneaks away from the ringwraiths (well he's so super sneaky isnt he, I am sure he already has his eye on a super secret tunnel inside Mount doom leading far away) AND then winds back up in his old cave.

The movie ends with

- the evil eye looking skywards and a ringwraith facepalming
- a council being held at Rivendell with Elrond going "well, we're back to square one, ideas anyone?"
- a Picture of Gollums face, finally happy again!
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote