Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #361
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Don't worry! I'm here, after a temperory hiatus from the Downs.

Now to read the RPG, fill that save...
Old 08-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #362
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
It seems that we can have either one or the other - Sorn losing his temper whilst watching the group, or Sorn looking from afar and seeing that Lin is more a liability than an asset to him.

Would it really be that likely that Sorn could escape if he was restrained by the rescue party? Or should his 'outburst' but put off until later? That was Garstan can still have his injury explained. Maybe they come closer to Sorn's house after the meeting goes ill and by that time Sorn has had time to make all his mistakes, if that makes sense.

Again just throwing things around.

- Tara
Old 08-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #363
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralphiel
Would it really be that likely that Sorn could escape if he was restrained by the rescue party?
I'd think that once captured, it would be hard for Sorn to escape. But since Garstan and Eodwine are the only ones from the party approaching at the moment and the other ten are a little distance back, he might still be able to avoid capture. Not sure what the best way to handle this is...
Old 08-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #364
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, okay...well that does make it more likely. Thank you!

Perhaps he just...runs off? *giggle* Yes, I'm low on creativity, but I will keep thinking. Throwing say a dagger from a distance seems a bit silly to me. Sorn isn't that skilled with his aim at the moment either, and his leg is testament to it...

- Tara
Old 08-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #365
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
How about if Osfrid is in cahoots with Sorn on this little bit of scoundrelism? We've already got it that Osfrid (if it's him) only goes as far as where the wall is; why? Because he has been ordered to go no farther, I was figuring. So Osfrid can actually see that Sorn is just out of sight of Eodwine and Garstan, and not at all far away. That way, when Sorn does his dagger throw, it's only a 10 foot at most toss, and maybe less, and while both Eodwine and Garstan are distracted by the surprise attack, Osfrid can act surprised and cry "What was that!" or something equally lame and get in the way, assuring Sorn's escape from immediate danger. Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #366
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for that though, Elempi! I think it sounds pretty plausible.

So here's what the actions for Sorn will be considering this:

- Sorn gets notebook and walks down to see Linduial and gloat
- Horn is sounded.
- Sorn grabs Osfrid and tells him his 'plan'.
- Osfrid walks out halfway to talk with the rescue party.
- Sorn hides away to one side and hears something he doesn't quite like. Perhaps an evil internal monologue and then some dagger throwing.
- Osfrid and Sorn retreat. Sorn makes it known that Linduial is a liability.

Does this sound about right? I've drafted a post for part of this, so I can flesh it out more once there is an agreement.

EDIT: Looking over past posts I have realised that Linduial and Sorn have had very little interaction as far as WHOLE conversations. Sorn seems to spring in and out in an odd (and sort of suiting) way.

Perhaps we could have Lin and Sorn talk for a bit before he runs out to...uhh...stab more people? :P I don't know when we'll have another chance.

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 09-03-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #367
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm game for a longer conversation.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 AM   #368
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great!

I'll work up a post. I'll try to get it up as soon as possible so we can get on with things.

Perhaps Osfrid could interrupt Sorn, so he can go out to where he's summoned? Just another thought

- Tara
Old 09-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #369
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Can't wait to see this post, Tara! I'd really like to see things start moving again.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #370
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What has to happen next?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #371
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A reply from Lin, and then maybe another from Sorn before he hears the horn.

He'll most likely panic, and run upstairs to 'sort' the situation, only making it worse for him.

At least that is what I think it will be for Sorn's part

- Tara
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #372
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Sorry...hubby got home early and weekend has been spent running in circles and nursing a hangover. I'm going to write my post now.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #373
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No problems!

I've written a quick one back, hoping we can get some good dialogue between Lin and nutty Sorn, and then move the story along.

I'm enjoying setting him up for his big fall, whilst also making him insane and insightful

As always, please let me know if my post needs changing. I am worried I overstep when talking to other characters. Then again, it is Sorn I'm writing for...

- Tara :P
Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #374
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

So, is Sorn
ready to hear the horn?
Or do we need to wait
for him to spout more hate?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #375
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm personally tired of posting Sorn's 'hate spouting' and I'm more than ready for him to get what's coming to him.

I was waiting for a last reaction fron Lin. But would it be appropriate to add the horn call at the end of the post I have? I don't want it to seem like I'm cutting Jenny off.

I'd like to make a final check, will Osfrid be able to do the talking?

- Tara
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #376
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

That would be for Jenny and Osfrid to decide..... (Elempi waits)
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #377
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Elempi has done waiting as no one else is giving this any attention.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-03-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #378
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Elempi has done waiting as no one else is giving this any attention.

I'll put up my response tonight or tomorrow, depending on how long that save I need to fill in for a certain other RPG takes me later today.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #379
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Good gracious! What's to happen now? I haven't been writing at all, sadly enough, and I give you my most humble and regretful apologies. However, can Thornden or Deren come running up now? Or something? Eodwine and Garstan are some yards ahead of the group of horsemen, aren't they?

-- Folwren
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #380
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Good gracious! What's to happen now? I haven't been writing at all, sadly enough, and I give you my most humble and regretful apologies. However, can Thornden or Deren come running up now? Or something? Eodwine and Garstan are some yards ahead of the group of horsemen, aren't they?

-- Folwren
I would imagine that they would do so. Especially since the madman Sorn might do anything at this point....

Thanks for showing some interest.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #381
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm excited now! Nothing so good as getting a friend wounded as starting things rolling.

Anyhow, there are only two questions I have - with what can we stop blood with? Did this group of men think to bring bandages? Can they use parts of riding cloaks if there is nothing else clean around?

Secondly, I didn't write it, but I did think that a couple of the riders should ride around the wall to make sure there is no one lurking there now. I might edit that in later on.

Elempi, I did make an assumption that Eodwine is somewhat distracted with what's happened and a man in that state might easily reach out to draw the knife out of somebody who's been stabbed, hence Deren telling him to not draw it out.

Looking forward to this continuing!

-- Folwren
Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #382
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Pio, could you insert this brief snippet at the end of Teralphiel's last post?

Quote:
Linduial opened her mouth to speak, only to find herself interrupted by the harsh call of a horn. She closed her lips as Sorn sneered at her a final time and sprinted out of the cellar, but the mingled scorn and pity in her grey eyes followed him up the stairs, vengeful ghosts that waited not for Lin's death to haunt his footfalls.
-------------------------

EDIT

Done

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #383
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Thank you guys for moving on without me, though I apologize for the necessity. Life got really (and unexpectedly) busy for a little bit there, but things should have calmed down now enough for me to commit to this as I ought.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #384
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah! Wonderful! Thank you to everyone who moved things along where I couldn't help

I will write up more for Sorn tomorrow evening. Again, I will be assuming that Osfrid is doing the talking.

I have the disposable Wæveth to fill in should that fall through Poor guy.

- Tara
Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #385
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gurth has arrived on the scene, thanks to the "prophecy" of his dog, in time to hear the horn. And no, I've no idea whose side he'll take...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #386
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Save filled.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #387
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry that this post is so late. I hope it flows nicely with everything.

Sorn is around the back of the property, giving a chance for Gurth or Scyld to bump into him. I hope for either, as I really don't want him to get as far as the cellar again.

This is where it comes to the tricky part. I have a couple of small ideas on how Sorn gets his comeuppance, but it depends on who distracts him

- Tara
Old 10-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #388
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I don't intend to let Gurth survive this RP either.

Taralphiel, what do you say to a mutually fatal encounter?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #389
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Wow, guys, we're getting some great writing.

But our chronology is getting a little confused. Taralphiel, what do you say to moving that last post to the bottom of your post before that? That way Scyld reacts to the horn before he starts stabbing people.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #390
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Do you mean to below the addition to my previous post, Jenny?

I can do that right away, if that's what you mean.

- Tara
Old 10-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #391
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Save filled.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #392
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I suppose it's about my turn to post again, but not necessarily. A look at our plans says the following things must happen in no particular order:
  • Scyld escapes with Linduial
  • Linduial reacts to the escape, and perhaps brings it further along
  • Gurth and Sorn meet and have a crazy swordfight in which both die
  • Eodwine orders most of the men, headed by Thornden and Deren, to deal with Sorn, Osfrid, and other henchmen, and look for Linduial
  • Eodwine stays with Garstan

At least, that's how it looks from here. Does this sound like a good summary of the next plot points? Anything missing?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #393
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sorn's dying already? I had no idea that was the case. But I guess it would have to be if he intended on killing Lin right then.

Other than that, it looks fine to me.

-- Folwren
Old 10-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #394
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, Anguirel and Tara can stretch out the number of posts it actually takes to get to the deaths. Everything doesn't have to get done in just one post each, eh?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #395
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi, could you tell me what Thornden was about to say? I got the idea that he was objecting to hunting down Sorn and Osfrid (and presumably killing them?), but want to make sure. I think it's fine as it is, I'm just wondering what he was about to say.

-- Folwren
Old 10-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #396
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I just want to make sure I have everyone's whereabouts correct:

In cellar: Linduial and Scyld
Upstairs: Osfrid
Heading into house: Thornden, Deren, three others
Behind house: Sorn
Outside, somewhere in front: Eodwine, Garstan, and rest of Eorlingas
Soon to arrive at estate: Gurth
On the way: Haleth and co. (I haven't forgotten him, I promise!)
Old 10-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #397
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Heading into house: Thornden, Deren, three others
Not quite. Deren and three are headed after Osfrid while Thornden and three are headed after Sorn.

Quote:
Outside, somewhere in front: Eodwine, Garstan, and rest of Eorlingas
only two Eorlingas whom I have named Eofryth and Grimbold

Quote:
On the way: Haleth and co. (I haven't forgotten him, I promise!)
Good! Because I had! We ought to try and find some way to get all twelve of the first group into enough trouble so that Haleth's reinforcements are more than welcome. How can we do that?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #398
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

For one thing, I think it might be better if it wasn't just Sorn and Gurth - what if we somehow brought in Thornden etc who are going after Sorn?

I'm trying to think of how they might be in trouble other than battle-wise; Sorn doesn't exactly have many minions that are going to fight for him...

Hm - what if Osfrid managed to outsmart the four going after him, lock them in a room somewhere? That's four men MIA right there.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #399
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

yes, tara, that's exactly where I mean.

lmp, i worry that the chronology there may be too strict, too pat. I think part of this scenario we're building requires a strong element of chaos, of lots of things happening at once and a great deal of confusion. I think we need to be careful about putting any strict order on what needs to happen next.

This is not to say that all those things don't need to happen, although I don't remember Tara's response to Ang's mutual death-age offer, but more that I think it should be a bulletted list, rather than numbered. Except that Lin and Scyld need to get their patooties bookin' it on out of there.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #400
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Ideas...

Jenny and I were just chatting over IM, and she asked me to post some of the ideas for what's about to unfold at Sorn's.

On the necessity of chaos:

Chaos is probably needed right now for Scyld and Lin to escape unnoticed, and for it to make sense that reinforcements would be required. Right now, the manor is only defended by Sorn and Osfrid, and possibly Gurth and the dog, if he returns to Sorn's side of the fight. With Gurth coming to Sorn's defense, which isn't certain, the best Sorn can do is 3 men and a dog to 12 riders. Not terribly good odds for Sorn.

To help the chaos, Jenny suggested the cellar door leading to Lin's cage might not be obvious, so Deren's group might waste some time exploring and trying to figure out where she is. Also, since no one with Deren has seen Lin, they might mistake a terrified Muriel for her. I'm not sure how inclined Osfrid would be to correct the mistake, so some more confusion could come from taking Muriel to either Eodwine or Thornden before the mistake was corrected. Meanwhile, Thornden and Deren might hear that Lin's been rescued, and not know for hours or even the next morning that they found the wrong girl. Which raises a lot of questions. How would they act thinking she'd been rescued and found in one of the men's quarters, and not the cage they would eventually find in the cellars? How would that affect what they did?

About Sorn and Gurth:

Jenny mentioned that the mutally fatal encounter shouldn't happen too soon because Haleth is not intended by his author for long life, and it would be terribly anticlimactic for him to fall off his horse or something. Maybe they could meet, but Sorn could still escape...maybe after doing something to really, really make Gurth angry at him.

And that was the conclusion of our conversation.

Did I miss anything, Jenny?