The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2003, 09:07 AM   #1
Aratharmaion

Sting Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday

When do most people celebrate Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday? I think it would be September 23 on the modern calendar.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you sure it is not the 21st? That's what I always thought it was.

Burzdol
Old 08-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Morgoth the Great
Haunting Spirit

Morgoth the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

actually, it's the 22nd of September. right in the middle of your guesses, lol. There was also a large "hippy movement" in England when The Lord Of The Rings was released, and there was a lot of graffiti saying that "FRODO LIVES". some of it's still there today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] great to walk past it in London.

p.s. Welcome to the barrowdowns Aratharmaion

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Morgoth the Great ]
Old 08-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

The date of that joint birthday can be found on the first page of Chapter I in The Lord of the Rings. Surely it wouldn't be too arduous to look it up.

[EDIT] I was, of course, completely ignoring Appendix D to The Lord of the Rings. It's probably worth going into some detail on the matter it covers, since its contents make sense of this thread.

Tolkien 'translated' the Westron names of the various Shire months into those of our own calendar but left the dates unchanged. He says of the correspondance
Quote:
It appears, however, that Mid-year's Day was intended to correspond as nearly as possible to the summer solstice. In that case the Shire dates were actually in advance of ours by some ten days, and our New Year's Day corresponded more or less to the Shire January 9.
Allowing for the differing lengths of Shire months (and assuming that we're not dealing with a leap year) the correspondance ought to be as follows. Any mistakes in calculating these correspondances are mine.

1 Afteryule = 24 December
1 Solmath = 23 January
1 Rethe = 21 February
1 Astron = 23 March
1 Thrimidge = 22 April
1 Forelithe = 22 May
1 Afterlithe = 23 June (allowing for the two Lithes but not an Overlithe)
1 Wedmath = 23 July
1 Halimath = 22 August
1 Winterfilth = 21 September
1 Blotmath = 21 October
1 Foreyule = 20 November

However, in order for this to be in any way accurate one would have to allow both for our own leap years and the Shire Overlithes, each in their proper places. In the above typical year, though, the Birthday would fall on September the twelfth. I wouldn't be celebrating it then, though, because I only celebrate actual events.

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 10-03-2003, 04:18 PM   #5
Beth the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Beth the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beth the Elf
Sting

I usuallt celebrate it on September 22, but this year i noticed that the Barrowdown's middle earth date on the main page had their birthday on September 13th
Beth the Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:24 AM   #6
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Interesting...so (off topic, sorry) is it 'wrong' to celebrate M-E's new year on 25th March? This gets confusing.
And why does it then say in FotR that the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo was 21st September when it's actually 13th (right?)?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

If it says in FotR that their birthday is September 22, wouldn't that be when it is? Why do we need to figure out when it is, if it plainly says it in the book?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Tolkien's use of Septmeber and other months was simply a modernization of the ancient Shire Calendar, which of course would not have had the same month names as us. In fact, they had a different system for dividing their year, which is described quite nicely in Appendice D of the Lord of the Rings.

As Squatter said, our modern 1 Jan would match up with the 9th day of the Shire's first month. Calculating through the year, you get 14 September on regular years and 13 September on Leap Years. (Note: I still had this year set as a leap year until recently, so the site mistaken reported 13 September as the birthday day this year - Sorry. BW)

To somplify things, when JRRT said their birthdays fell on 22 September, he really was saying their birthdays were on the 22nd day of thier 9th month - the 257th day of their year. The 257th day of our year was 14 September.

I hope that clears it up a bit. JRRT took the time to publish Appendice D, so I'm sure he would like us all to understand it.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:35 AM   #9
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I just finished re-reading RotK yesterday, and am now slowly working my way through the appendices, so I'll get to that and hopefully understand it this time!
Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
actually, it's the 22nd of September. right in the middle of your guesses, lol. There was also a large "hippy movement" in England when The Lord Of The Rings was released, and there was a lot of graffiti saying that "FRODO LIVES". some of it's still there today great to walk past it in London.
Actually I think the hippy movement began sometime after the books were released, the movement being in the 70s. Correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't around at the time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And whereabouts in London can I find this graffiti???
Old 10-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #11
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As an American, I come from a long tradition of not celebrating things on the days they actually happened. Too inconvenient, yes? Holidays must always fall next to the weekend so as to disrupt the bloody work week as little as possible. I find this irritating in principle, but it is infuriatingly pragmatic. So, I have no problems with celebrating Bilbo and Frodo's birthday on the "wrong" day. The important thing is to celebrate it, and I do--on September 22. Or the 21st, this year, because the 22nd was inconvienent. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420! Well, now, today is the 22 of September. And what does that remind me of?

Carorëiel, I agree with you. I am 'celebrating' today; much more after the manner of 1418 than Bilbo's 111th, but still.

Cheers.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM   #13
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
1420! Pints on me! :D

Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Happy birthday to our two adventurous hobbits! So...is anybody setting on an overdue quest today?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
They are perfoming the LOTR symphony (amamgamated movie music, I believe) in London tonight to celebrate the birthdays......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Why! I didn't even THINK about that. Silly me. And I have the MP3s right here!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
They are als playing it tomorrow due to vast demand...

Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

The date sounds the same. I always feel like writing my screen name on MSN as "Happy birthday Bilbo and Frodo". I think that this is easier for even people who are not as Tolkienalised (This word does not appear in the Oxford English dictionary) as some are. Its just nice to say, "Its September the 22nd, that the same as Bilbo and Frodo's birthday! Hurah!" Even if it’s not completely accurate.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #18
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes, as we speak I have "Happy Birthday Bilbo & Frodo" written on my hand (it's an unfortunate habit I have, writing on my hand) complete with nice Tehtar dots over the a's. After I wrote it I realized that it technically was not the day it "really" would have been, but I soon got over it. Anyway, it was fun to see some people get confused and others go "Oh man! I forgot it was their birthday! Yay!"

So a nice big Happy Birthday, regardless of exact dates, to two of the coolest Hobbits ever.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #19
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just saw on theonering.net that today (the 22nd of Sept) is Sala Baker's birthday. . .

brrrrrrrr. . .the only actor to ever play Sauron shares a birthday with Frodo and Bilbo? The Professor, I'm sure, is smiling.

(SB is 28 by the way -- Oh my goodness, just realised that his initials are also shared by that other nemesis of Frodo and Bilbo: the S-B's. . .now I am scared. . .very scared. . .)
Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #20
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sala Baker's birthday, huh? What an amazing coincidence!

At the meeting of my school's Fantasy Club today, I mentioned it was Frodo and Bilbo's b-day, and we would've had cake in their honor, but I didn't have time to bake one. I'm meeting with some other LotR-freak friends tomorrow as a belated party.

Speaking of LotR holidays: Earlier this year I celebrated May 25th. I baked a yellow bunt cake with the Ring-spell drawn on it in red icing, dressed up as Frodo and made people guess what I was celebrating before I let them get a piece of cake. Most people were able to guess correctly, concidering it was me, the 'crazy elf girl', celebrating it.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
I baked a yellow bunt cake with the Ring-spell drawn on it in red icing
Now that is Uber-cool. Did you take a picture???

I am watching The Fellowship, having munched an apple, followed by a fluff-frosted brownie ("chocolate Lembas".)
Old 09-22-2004, 07:46 PM   #22
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I'm not really doing anything to celebrate, it's just my own quiet recognition. Although my dad thinks I'm officially insane now, because I was discussing over the dinner table how it's their joint birthday, but it's not really the same day, etc, and he was giving me the most incredulous look while my mom and sister just kinda smiled and nodded...

Happy Birthday Sala Baker!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Just saw on theonering.net that today (the 22nd of Sept) is Sala Baker's birthday. . .

brrrrrrrr. . .the only actor to ever play Sauron shares a birthday with Frodo and Bilbo? The Professor, I'm sure, is smiling.

(SB is 28 by the way -- Oh my goodness, just realised that his initials are also shared by that other nemesis of Frodo and Bilbo: the S-B's. . .now I am scared. . .very scared. . .)

Hmm what is it about being on the cusp of Libra and Virgo that predisposes ringbearing?

Old 09-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #24
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
1420! That`s kinda creepy Hookbill...

My MSN messanger name was Happy Birthday Frodo yesterday! Strange how minds work, eh?

Yeah, I celebrate on the 22nd because that`s what the date is in the books (even though it`s based on the Shire calendar). Since it`s so confusing, I say we decide on a day that we should celebrate it on.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #25
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

mark12_30:
Alas, I took no pictures of my cake. I did run into a door while carrying it and got icing on my Frodo vest though...does that count for anything?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 PM   #26
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Another year, another birthday :)

And the thread comes up

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #27
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Frodo Lives!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frodo lives.jpg (75.1 KB, 658 views)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #28
Reg Pither
Pile O'Bones

Reg Pither has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Actually I think the hippy movement began sometime after the books were released, the movement being in the 70s. Correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't around at the time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And whereabouts in London can I find this graffiti???
The hippie movement was a 60's thing, not 70's, although it obviously carried on to a smaller extent in that decade. I think it was the release of LotR in paperback that coincided with the rise of the hippies, and it became de rigueur to read it if you were part of that scene. That's when LotR really took off in popularity.

Anyway, regardless of Shire calendars and all that, 22nd September is the most logical day to celebrate the birthdays, so Hurrah for today!
Reg Pither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My classmates were pulling a bit of "oh dear"-faces, when they saw Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday marked in my calendar... And they were absolutely out when they saw my "new year" in 25th March... Sometimes people who are not LotR-fans might be really funny ... I suppose they think I'm a bit strange

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRODO AND BILBO!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #30
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hip hip hurray!!

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #31
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Pipe

A very happy birthday to two very awesome hobbits. It certainly merited a little skipping about in happiness when I remembered what today was during lunch.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #32
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Happy Birthday to Frodo and Bilbo! I must admit that I forgot what day today was until I looked at this thread.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #33
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

1420! Seems like a day to bring this up, now doesn't it?

So, as it has been established that it's 22nd up there , let me state...

Happy birthday Bilbo!
Happy birthday Frodo!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thank you Herin for resurrecting this thread. Appropriately, yesterday I got in the mail the 70th anniversary edition of The Hobbit, which Houghton Mifflin just released.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #35
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Happy birthday to Bilbo and Frodo.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #36
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1420!

Ack!! Yesterday! Belated.....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #37
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Another year, another anniversary...

So happy birthday to Master Bilbo and Master Frodo

Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #38
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Funny how nobody posted in here for a whole year...

Well, another bump then I suppose - it's already 22nd down here, and several hours off for majority of members I imagine

Nice of them to have been born on this very day of autumn, if only for our entertainment (apart from education, moral and otherwise, ethics and general outlook, whatever)

Old 09-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #39
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, that's funny. I have been thinking that I should not miss acknowledging it this autumn, apparently I did so by half an hour - but the funny thing is, if I was home, it would still be about half an hour until the 22nd, so actually...

Well, happy birthday to the Bagginses! It's nice, anyway, isn't it? I think they could not have been born in a better date. This day is suddenly made far more interesting anyway. I doubt anybody has it as their national holiday. Though somebody should perhaps start making these daily planners with this day marked there among other national holidays (and maybe with the 25th of March or something, too).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #40
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
To Bilbo and Frodo!

Drat it; I missed my chance. I should have flown out to Oxonmoot today instead of tomorrow.