The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf CXI - The Black Breath Ward

As the sun rose over the city, many in its midst walked out into the crisp morning air with only a slight apprehension in their step. In the Ward, however, no one awoke early. The houses were silent and dark, though rustling leaves skittered across the roads and tree branches scraped against the walls of some of the residences.

A scream pierced the chilly air and the residents of the Ward burst from their temporary lodgings to see the source of the noise.

Even with the dim light creeping over the city walls, the corpse was unmistakable. As the guards lifted the body, his red hat fell from his head and a tearful Sally crouched to pick it up, roughly shoving the item in her bag.

"Sally! What's happened?" Lalaith emerged from her assigned cottage and tried to get a better look, but was blocked by the guards, who were hoisting Phantom into a small cart.

"The Black Breath took him," Sally sobbed. She wiped her face on her sleeve, turning her back on Phantom as she addressed the group. "Please, there's nothing you can do for him. I'll make some tea, and then you should all get some more rest."

"Unacceptable!" shouted McCaber. "He was fine yesterday. A bit grumpy maybe, but he made fun of Nilp, so I assumed he was doing okay."

"Uh, McCaber?" Dun nudged his neighbor, then pointed toward the dark building toward the edge of the Ward. "You know Nilp died a week ago, right? Don't you remember? He sang a love ballad at the wall, then fainted into a gigantic bowl of noodles and never woke up."

"That's not the point!" shrieked Sally. "Could you show a little respect for the dead?"

"She's right! And who will take our reports to the guards now?" cried Kuru. "Phantom was always our representative!"

"Don't remind me," muttered Nerwen, rolling her eyes. "Maybe my sun and stars could take the reports?"

"Not every time, my queen," replied Shasta nervously. "I don't feel up to it, and that's a lot of pressure for one person."

"After all," agreed Lottie, "not everyone is Phantom."

"Are we sure Phantom was human?" asked Boro, but no one heard him, for at that moment, the gates to the morgue creaked open and Phantom's body was taken inside to join Agan, Gal, Nogrod, Formendacil, and so many others who had fallen to darkness before him.

"What do we do now?" Lommy whispered, but Legate just shook his head and embraced her, turning away from the morgue entrance.

Silence fell over the remaining patients, and though someone eventually spoke, their voice was so weary, it was impossible to identify its owner.

"Only five more days...."

Patients
Nerwen
Kuru
McCaber
Lottie
Lalaith
Lommy
Legate
Dun
Boro
Shasta

The Morgue
Phantom (for posterity)

It is now Day 1. Please remember to highlight your votes for who you want to report to the guards.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 10-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What a mess we've got on our hands! I mean, not literally, what with the apparently sentient morgue and all, but figuratively. We are in a bind. I just don't know what to do. We were going along so peacefully before now... And really, if the Black Breath could take even Phantom, then who's next?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Second post! I'm clearly not guilty.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
You would say that, wouldn't you? Remember, it's always one of the first three posters...

Wait, what did I say?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You see, it's this dreadful Black Breath, giving me a death wish!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

What is even more depressing is the knowledge that there are those among us who want us to give up the will to live... creating a feedback loop of negativity and despair! How dreadful!

(Please note that I say "dreadful", not "terrible". If I were evil, I would have used the
phrase "terrible things" in order to torment Agan's departed spirit. Given this incontrovertible proof, I should obviously be considered a known innocent from now on.)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Dark-Eye

WHERE IS EVERYONE?

Have you all succumbed to the Black Breath already? Am I the last?

AIIIEEE! Woe is me, all alone in my dreadful (but not terrible) dark despair!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So let's lynch Lottie, Boro and Nerwen and be done with it... wait! That's not how this particular game works, is it?

That being said, I'm still studying the rules. I'll be posting some thoughts on them when I have a little more time and a computer, hopefully on my lunch break.

So weird but good to be playing again, it's been more than a year since the last game on the 'downs!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
O-ho! Black Breath or no Black Breath, brace yourselves for a twelve-minute speech, because guess what? I have arrived!

Okay okay, maybe let's start more slowly. For one: if I got the rules right, then we should select a representative (yeah, a real pity about The Phantom). What I propose however is that also everyone suggests (maybe via a "normal" vote, i.e. bolded and not highlighted?) the name the representative should deliver to the Guards. It is, of course, then up to the Representative whether they behave like a democratically elected representative of the majority and deliver the name of the most suspected person, or whether they pick the person they choose themselves... and on top of everything, whether they are going to be honest about it. I can imagine several funny scenarios already, but let's not get too ahead of us.

As a sidenote, I realise this style of Day 1 may be helpful for the lazier existences among us who prefer not to cast a vote on Day 1, therefore delegating the responsibility on somebody else...

Also, since somebody has to mention this, and once again, the phantom isn't here to supply us with plans: since we are just waiting to get rescued, I wonder if a purposeful tie (or a purposeful miss of vote from the Representative) would actually be benefitial for the village. Meaning, the more there are of us, the greater chance we outnumber the Wolves, the bigger chance the Gifteds aren't mislynched, etc. Discuss?

Ha! See? That was a short post.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Okay okay, maybe let's start more slowly. For one: if I got the rules right, then we should select a representative (yeah, a real pity about The Phantom). What I propose however is that also everyone suggests (maybe via a "normal" vote, i.e. bolded and not highlighted?) the name the representative should deliver to the Guards. It is, of course, then up to the Representative whether they behave like a democratically elected representative of the majority and deliver the name of the most suspected person, or whether they pick the person they choose themselves... and on top of everything, whether they are going to be honest about it. I can imagine several funny scenarios already, but let's not get too ahead of us.
Under most circumstances, we'd find out next Day if the Representative had picked someone else.

Quote:
Also, since somebody has to mention this, and once again, the phantom isn't here to supply us with plans: since we are just waiting to get rescued, I wonder if a purposeful tie (or a purposeful miss of vote from the Representative) would actually be benefitial for the village. Meaning, the more there are of us, the greater chance we outnumber the Wolves, the bigger chance the Gifteds aren't mislynched, etc.
Do you mean we agree in advance for the Representative not to send in a target? Or what?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Do you mean we agree in advance for the Representative not to send in a target? Or what?
Yes. If the Representative would respect that (but then I assume they would, resp. I assume we'd choose someone who we know would).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #12
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Yes. If the Representative would respect that (but then I assume they would, resp. I assume we'd choose someone who we know would).
Would our Moddess accept this, though?

Sally, can we have a ruling on this, please?
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Would our Moddess accept this, though?

Sally, can we have a ruling on this, please?
The representative doesn't have to send in a name.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hello everyone. Just trying to get to grips with everyone and everything around here.

Quote:
I wonder if a purposeful tie (or a purposeful miss of vote from the Representative) would actually be benefitial for the village. Meaning, the more there are of us, the greater chance we outnumber the Wolves, the bigger chance the Gifteds aren't mislynched, etc. Discuss?
I am not pretending to fully understand the rules, but I'm not clear on how this any different to deciding against having a lynching on the first day?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Curse the Black Breath, and the black mouth from which it emerged!

Quote:
For one: if I got the rules right, then we should select a representative (yeah, a real pity about The Phantom). What I propose however is that also everyone suggests (maybe via a "normal" vote, i.e. bolded and not highlighted?) the name the representative should deliver to the Guards. It is, of course, then up to the Representative whether they behave like a democratically elected representative of the majority and deliver the name of the most suspected person, or whether they pick the person they choose themselves... and on top of everything, whether they are going to be honest about it. I can imagine several funny scenarios already, but let's not get too ahead of us.
Well, not acceding to the wishes of the group will require some tall explaining and but the rep in for a fair amount of suspicion. Especially since, if I recall rightly, we won't know the alignment of the one the guards take.

Quote:
Also, since somebody has to mention this, and once again, the phantom isn't here to supply us with plans: since we are just waiting to get rescued, I wonder if a purposeful tie (or a purposeful miss of vote from the Representative) would actually be benefitial for the village. Meaning, the more there are of us, the greater chance we outnumber the Wolves, the bigger chance the Gifteds aren't mislynched, etc.
But don't the baddies still get their evil whispering in the meantime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
The representative doesn't have to send in a name.
Ah, again I think not doing so would reflect poorly on the rep.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I am not pretending to fully understand the rules, but I'm not clear on how this any different to deciding against having a lynching on the first day?
My point is, most of all, that it doesn't have to be even just for the first Day. That's why I suggested to discuss this. We could, theoretically, keep doing it indefinitely - or at least until the situation would shift dramatically (e.g. we'd start losing Gifteds and so on. Although I just realised that has its own problems, such as that we don't know the roles of the dead, right?). But see also below in my reply to Zil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
But don't the baddies still get their evil whispering in the meantime?
They would. But the point of this was to minimalise the damage. According to the rules, the innocents can win just by surviving (as Sally now specified, five Days), providing there are more of them than Wolves and they have at least one of the Gifted still alive. Five Days, that's five Wolf-kills. If they don't kill the Gifteds (or at most one), and of course if nobody gets modfired (which could be the biggest concern), that leaves five people alive, out of which only two are Wolves. It is close, of course (and I guess that was the point so that the game remais balanced - btw good job, Sally, in any case), but given that we also have effectively two "Rangers", there is quite some chance that it might work out.

Basically what I am offering for discussion is: is it more dangerous for us to start lynching people (given that in this game, we do not have the traditional voting pattern to rely on and on top of everything, we do not know what was the dead person's role!!) and therefore the win-condition for us practically would become that we have to bag a Wolf (or preferrably both) to win; or, to not lynch people on our own and just let the WWs do the process of thinning the numbers of villagers; but if they don't manage to kill both Gifteds, they are guaranteed to lose.

I simply think this would be an interesting point to discuss, if nothing else.

Otherwise: I suggest we really do cast votes for the person we want as Representative as well as some "unofficial" votes (for example just boldened) for who we would like to see lynched (and we can do it even if we later decide not to lynch anyone in the end. It will lose the point of course, but better to have it than not to have it, anyway. It is still something that tells something about people's thinking, even if they were lying).

Quote:
Ah, again I think not doing so would reflect poorly on the rep.
Unless we decided that they should do so (that was the question in that particular case).
Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

"Oh woe, woooooooooooe!" a fearful sound echoed through the street.

"Woe Day One! Oh Woe! Wooooooooooe!"

"What is that awful sound?" someone asked.

"Sound like somebody is lamenting the fact that it is DAY ONE," replied another.

"Day One, Woe!"

"Well, I wish it would stop," commented the first.

Suddenly a terrible clattering and general rukus broke the air.

"Woe! Woe!!!!!!"

An out of control horse with a terrified Kuruharan clinging to the reins hurtled around the corner. "Woah! Woah Day One, you stupid horse! WOAH!!!!"

Horse and rider shot out of sight.

"Woah, Day One! WOOOOOOOOAH!"

A sound like a dwarf being hurled off the back of a horse and into a fruit stand came back down the street.

"What's the meaning of this," demanded an onlooker.

"This is my new horse Day One," replied Kuruharan.

"We're trapped in this ward. How did you get a horse?"

"It was necessary so it appeared," said Kuruharan.

The horse, Day One, abruptly disappeared into thin air.

"I've been sitting on that gag for eight months now waiting for the chance to use it and, by crackey, I was going to!" exclaimed Kuruharan.

(I promise to make a serious post soon.)
Old 10-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
According to the rules, the innocents can win just by surviving (as Sally now specified, five Days), providing there are more of them than Wolves and they have at least one of the Gifted still alive. Five Days, that's five Wolf-kills. If they don't kill the Gifteds (or at most one), and of course if nobody gets modfired (which could be the biggest concern), that leaves five people alive, out of which only two are Wolves. It is close, of course (and I guess that was the point so that the game remais balanced - btw good job, Sally, in any case), but given that we also have effectively two "Rangers", there is quite some chance that it might work out.
Hm. And those hit by the baddies' whisperings don't expire automatically, do they?

Quote:
Basically what I am offering for discussion is: is it more dangerous for us to start lynching people (given that in this game, we do not have the traditional voting pattern to rely on and on top of everything, we do not know what was the dead person's role!!) and therefore the win-condition for us practically would become that we have to bag a Wolf (or preferrably both) to win; or, to not lynch people on our own and just let the WWs do the process of thinning the numbers of villagers; but if they don't manage to kill both Gifteds, they are guaranteed to lose.
Well, in an ordinary situation my feeling is that not voting/not lynching anyone plays into the hands of the wolves. But in this case, with a definite time period to shoot for that will ensure our survival, maybe not reporting anyone to the guards makes sense. At least for toDay I think I'd support that.

Quote:
Otherwise: I suggest we really do cast votes for the person we want as Representative as well as some "unofficial" votes (for example just boldened) for who we would like to see lynched (and we can do it even if we later decide not to lynch anyone in the end. It will lose the point of course, but better to have it than not to have it, anyway. It is still something that tells something about people's thinking, even if they were lying).
Knowing who people thought should be reported though won't be as helpful, since we can't know the roles of the removed.

Last edited by Inziladun; 10-27-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: x/d with Kuru
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #19
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Since what we suffer from most of all is a lack of information, I think we should all explicitly state our intentions in the case that we are elected representative. Maybe not names, necessarily, although I do think a name would be nice later in the day when we are close to voting, but we should spell out our general philosophies and strategies early in the Day so that we have a framework to build on later.

For example, I would be opposed to letting a "lynch" opportunity slip away, simply because we have no way of knowing if the Gifteds have died, and I don't want to wake up on the last Day to a surprise defeat when it turns out the Black Death has claimed them after all. We have two gifteds, right (on mobile, can't check), and... eight innocents? And the wolves are going to kill five of us? That's more than half the village, and way too many shots at a Gifted for how small we are for my comfort. I don't have time to do the statistics, but that doesn't seem like good odds to me.

So who would I exile from the Ward were I elected representative? With nothing else to go on this early, I would choose the person most obviously hinting that they were drowning in despair after having heard whispers in the night, because if you were a wolf, it would be a great idea to try to make the herbalist heal you instead of your victim.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #20
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
They would. But the point of this was to minimalise the damage. According to the rules, the innocents can win just by surviving (as Sally now specified, five Days), providing there are more of them than Wolves and they have at least one of the Gifted still alive. Five Days, that's five Wolf-kills. If they don't kill the Gifteds (or at most one), and of course if nobody gets modfired (which could be the biggest concern), that leaves five people alive, out of which only two are Wolves. It is close, of course (and I guess that was the point so that the game remais balanced - btw good job, Sally, in any case), but given that we also have effectively two "Rangers", there is quite some chance that it might work out.
Just one problem- the admin thread says there's three conspirators, not two.

Edit:x'd with Lottie.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1420!

Personally, I think we should lynch Kuru and the terrible pun he rode in on.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Serious post

Quote:
Personally, I think we should lynch Kuru and the terrible pun he rode in on.
I thank'ee kindly, ma'am!

This will probably be a series of short serious posts since I am at work and can't stay on the board for extended periods.

I think we need to establish facts so the Ward is working from the same foundation. Some of this may seem obvious, but I think it should be stated for clarity.

1) We can assume that people who are Black Breathed are innocent. It would be one twisted group of...let's call them Wolves for the sake of brevity...who would do in one of their own in a game with this level of anonymity. Not to say it is utterly impossible, but we should assume they would not do this at the beginning.

2) We cannot trust the intentions of the representative! This is a vital point to establish. The Ward must make clear to the representative the appropriate target selection. The only way to hold the representative accountable is if the target is clear and then punish them if they deviate from the Ward's will.

3) While I am tentatively inclined to be supportive of Legate's suggestion of not lynching somebody toDAY...I believe the numbers dictate that we will have to eventually. We can't win by just passing the lynch each time.

I would like to run the numbers now, but I have a meeting. Hopefully we can have some people independently run the numbers to verify our possible scenarios.

I will do it myself when I have a chance.

4) This game would be more awesome with a Dead Thread! All games should have Dead Threads now!
Old 10-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't even get the pun. I'm so embarrassed. Maybe just lynch me for sheer slow-wittedness.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #24
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Ok, so the rules state:

Quote:
The conspirators may only converse during Night phases. Each Night, they choose one person (by sending me a PM), to whom they whisper dark thoughts. Once demoralized by the conspirators, a patient lives through the Day, but if not treated, succumbs to their despair during the next Night and dies the following Dawn. (Example: Sally is targeted Night 2. I am notified of this by PM at the start of Day 3, and am dead at the start of Day 4.)
If the Conspirators' target isn't blocked by Bard or healed by the herbalist, xe is gone Day 2 after they are afflicted, right? So it would take six Days to take out three villagers?

Ten players, three Conspiarators. If no one is submitted to the guards for removal, is it possible to just wait things out?
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
I lied. I am guilty. Guilty of not caring about the phantom's demise. If I was in the conspirators' shoes, I would have done the same. Let's be honest, it's a far quieter and headache reduced with his loss. Am I right?

I actually would like to give a reward to those who did us all a great service and favor. Come forward, collect your reward - all expenses-paid weekend passes to the beautiful Dol Amroth resort (once this nasty business of war is over). Plus, free muffins at Mablung's Magic Muffins for life.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #26
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I lied. I am guilty. Guilty of not caring about the phantom's demise. If I was in the conspirators' shoes, I would have done the same. Let's be honest, it's a far quieter and headache reduced with his loss. Am I right?

I actually would like to give a reward to those who did us all a great service and favor. Come forward, collect your reward - all expenses-paid weekend passes to the beautiful Dol Amroth resort (once this nasty business of war is over). Plus, free muffins at Mablung's Magic Muffins for life.
Right! But oh, so wrong....
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Since what we suffer from most of all is a lack of information, I think we should all explicitly state our intentions in the case that we are elected representative. Maybe not names, necessarily, although I do think a name would be nice later in the day when we are close to voting, but we should spell out our general philosophies and strategies early in the Day so that we have a framework to build on later.
Good one. Even though I believe we should go a step further and actually say who we would vote for if we were elected the Representative.

My intentions for Day 1 as it is: I am not 100% sure about that, but I would consider not sending a lynch the first Day at all. I would, however, also support a public opinion (unless by some inexplicable chain of events it was absolutely contrary to all human logic in my opinion, but in that case I don't assume people would choose me in the first place).

MORE IMPORTANTLY: I believe we should elect someone we can trust. Basically the most innocent. If we get the opinions from everyone (preferably early enough before DL!), then the vote can also be based on that.

Quote:
Just one problem- the admin thread says there's three conspirators, not two.
Ah, right. That makes it a slightly worse theory, then. Well, the question stands anyway. But that puts us much more back towards a "normal" game-style. We just have slightly better chances thanks to effectively having something like two Rangers, and slightly worse by having no info whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
1) We can assume that people who are Black Breathed are innocent. It would be one twisted group of...let's call them Wolves for the sake of brevity...who would do in one of their own in a game with this level of anonymity. Not to say it is utterly impossible, but we should assume they would not do this at the beginning.
The problem is that if I am not mistaken, nobody is supposed to say that aloud. They can only hint. (With which I would suggest that all innocents refrain from making any comments regarding their health unless they really are sick. In fact, if we already have one ill person here, maybe too late for toDay.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
2) We cannot trust the intentions of the representative! This is a vital point to establish. The Ward must make clear to the representative the appropriate target selection. The only way to hold the representative accountable is if the target is clear and then punish them if they deviate from the Ward's will.
That makes perfect sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
3) While I am tentatively inclined to be supportive of Legate's suggestion of not lynching somebody toDAY...I believe the numbers dictate that we will have to eventually. We can't win by just passing the lynch each time.
After correcting my numbers, I agree. But we'll see what exactly we do.

EDIT: x-ed with Zil and Boro

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 10-27-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #28
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Quick dash in while I work on a numbers post

Quote:
The problem is that if I am not mistaken, nobody is supposed to say that aloud. They can only hint. (With which I would suggest that all innocents refrain from making any comments regarding their health unless they really are sick. In fact, if we already have one ill person here, maybe too late for toDay.)
Yes, that is correct.

My intention was to state that we could look at their posts after they are definitively gone and feel fairly confident of their innocence.

The utility of this will have to be left for us to determine later.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #29
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

And when I say "utility" I mean that since we are all operating in the dark there is no guarantee that the innocents were speculating on good information.

But we must work with what we have.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #30
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Ok, so the rules state:

If the Conspirators' target isn't blocked by Bard or healed by the herbalist, xe is gone Day 2 after they are afflicted, right? So it would take six Days to take out three villagers?

Ten players, three Conspiarators. If no one is submitted to the guards for removal, is it possible to just wait things out?
We lose someone every Day starting on Day 2, and I'm pretty sure we only win if we survive with a Gifted, which makes it a much more risky strategy to try to wait out the plague. It's not just numbers vs numbers - we need to give our Gifteds the best possible chance of survival if we want to win.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #31
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Don't be intimidated, this post isn't as long as it seems

There is an ambiguity here. O Moddess, please review this.

PURE NO LYNCH SCENARIO
DAY ONE
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10

DAY TWO
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1

DAY THREE
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2

DAY FOUR
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3

DAY FIVE
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4

1) Everyone please review my numbers to make sure they are correct.

2) Oh Moddess, when does the game end? Do we get a DAY SIX where the last person with the Black Breath dies or might die?

3) If there is no DAY SIX death, then the potential for the Ward to win by just refusing to lynch each time is there...at least according to my potentially flawed counting. (Never trust me with numbers.)

4) My reading of the rules is that the wolves don't win simply by eliminating the gifteds. They have a win condition of eliminating both gifteds and having one of them survive.

Please review and discuss. This is important for the course of the game.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 10-27-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: corrected a "gifted" into the appropriate "gifteds"
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #32
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I don't even get the pun. I'm so embarrassed. Maybe just lynch me for sheer slow-wittedness.
Don't feel bad. The joke was quite stupid.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #33
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

If I did my very quick math right, the probability that we lose both Gifteds is about 30%. I would estimate higher, because it isn't just a shot in the dark. All of us here know how to hunt Godteds, and that will be priority number one for the wolves. Not the best odds, in my opinion, but not insurmountable. I still don't like the plan, though. I think it leaves too much up to the wolves.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #34
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
We lose someone every Day starting on Day 2, and I'm pretty sure we only win if we survive with a Gifted, which makes it a much more risky strategy to try to wait out the plague. It's not just numbers vs numbers - we need to give our Gifteds the best possible chance of survival if we want to win.
But does calling the guards not endanger the Gifteds?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #35
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well the biggest problem I see in it is that even if the whole village agrees not to lynch anyone ever, then if a Wolf manages to infiltrate the Rep even once (for example the Day before the last), they would win. (Or would they? Anyway, you get the point - it basically depends on everyone keeping that strategy all the time. We'd have to keep in line, and not to chicken out at some wrong moment just because we lose a nerve.)

As a counter-argument, I still trust the Gifteds we have would be able to help as well. The WWs have to either try to kill them, or work around them so that they don't waste a kill, etc... so that balances out the lack of knowledge on the innocents' part.

EDIT: x-ed with Zil
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #36
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
What calling the Guards? If I got it right, that's an event which happens on Day 5 spontaneously (or 6??? Clarification here, sally? When exactly does it happen? Evening of Day 5? Morning of Day 5? Morning of Day 6?). So the game ends on that Day in any case, just depends of what is the ratio in the village and whether the Gifteds are still alive. Am I reading it right?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
The gifteds are not exempt from being dispatched by the guards; they will remove whomever they are instructed to by the representative.

As for the other question at hand, the game will end at the dawn of Day 6, which means any fates sealed over the previous Night will affect the outcome of the game.

X'd with Legate, as I finally beat my phone into submission
Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #38
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
What calling the Guards? If I got it right, that's an event which happens on Day 5 spontaneously (or 6??? Clarification here, sally? When exactly does it happen? Evening of Day 5? Morning of Day 5? Morning of Day 6?). So the game ends on that Day in any case, just depends of what is the ratio in the village and whether the Gifteds are still alive. Am I reading it right?
I was talking about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Admin Thread View Post
The representative informs me (by private message) of one person they wish to have removed from the Ward. During the Night, the target will be dispatched; like with those who succumb to the Black Breath, no body will be left as evidence, leaving no indication of whether the person was a conspirator or a victim.
On an unrelated note, I propose that anyone afflicted by the Black Breath, fearful as they may be, not announce their condition in an appeal to the Herbalist. I can see an easy way for Conspirators to sow confusion that way.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I propose that anyone afflicted by the Black Breath, fearful as they may be, not announce their condition in an appeal to the Herbalist. I can see an easy way for Conspirators to sow confusion that way.
I disagree. (Technical note: according to the rules, nobody is allowed to actually "announce" it, but they can make hints, of course.) If all the villagers, from the next Day on, avoid saying things like "I am not feeling well" just as a banter and only say it when they are actually being affected by the Black Breath, then it could be a decent tool for the village, if the Herbalist cooperates. Because then if one Wolf decides to sow confusion into this and pretends to be sick, then we have two people on the thread who say "oh I slept really badly toNight", and it is clear one of them is probably sick and the other probably an impostor Wolf. Granted, we don't know the roles, so it may be a problem, and if neither of them dies, we don't know whether it is because they were cured, resp which of them was cured, or if they are both Wolves, or whatever. But it is at least something to process; like if one person keeps constantly whining how sick they are and still they aren't dying, then it is bound to become suspicious. But of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #40
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Well, that answers that.

On balance, my opinion is that we should not lynch somebody toDAY. Given the dynamics of this game I think we need to stretch the game (as it were).

That, and we have precious little to go on toDAY. We are more likely to shoot an innocent than a wolf by firing wildly in the dark.

However, I am still open to persuasion.

We will have to nominate a representative toDAY and we may need to start serious discussions in that line before too much longer.