The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
How far could you go?

"No oath nor bond is laid upon you to go further than you will."
If you joined the Fellowship, how far could you have gone? Would you have made it to the end? Or what part would you have turned back at?

I'm pretty sure that I would have freaked in Moria. I can't stand being underground. And in the Chamber I would have been terrified just waiting for the enemy to come trap me in a small room. Yeah, yeah I'm a wimp..
Old 02-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
If we're talking about fears or phobias, I think I could have made it all the way to the end. It's really hard to genuinely scare me to the point of complete mental meltdown. If you're considering my fighting skills, then I probably wouldn't have made it very far past Moria. I'm a fairly good archer, but not much of a fencer or a close-quarters sword fighter.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, how does the question work exactly?

In terms of phsycological ability, I'd make it to Gorgoroth Plateau. I can stand Moria's darknes, Durin's Bane, all sorts of armies and hordes and what not. I mean, if I figured I was going to die anyway, I'd be willing to battle orcs at the Hornburg and Pelennor (though that really wasn't the fellowship) but Gorgoroth and Sammath Nuar would crack me wide open mentally. The sheer vastness of that inferno-ish barren wasteland would send me to the nuthouse without a second glance. It's just...so...big...and...FIERY!

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Well, how does the question work exactly?
Well, I guess I mean how much mental strain could you take? Like fears, or travelling for days and days with no civilization around, having no hope, etc. I didn't mean fighting ability, though I'm sure a lot of barrowdowners are talented at some kind of lotr-ish weapon. (I'm a fencer)
And I've changed my mind about Moria. I think I could make it further but the Paths of the Dead would be really hard for me.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Alright, it really depends whose path I would take after Amon Hen and the breaking of the Fellowship, since they all went different ways.

I'd definately be fine sticking with Merry and Pippin, since I love forests and don't mind water (the two things that prevailed over their journey in TTT). In the case of Aragorn and the others, the Paths of the Dead would be a little traumatizing, but the ghost/wights that Tolkein describes wouldn't intimidate me very much. As I said, the sheer vastness of Gorgoroth and the foreboding darkness of Mordor would make me lose it. Its not a phobia as much as it is a simple mental deficiency.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Hmm.. I think mentally I could have made it all the way. Now, my problem would be, do I let the orcs take me with Merry and Pippin, do I go with Frodo and Sam, or do I stick around with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli? That would probably be the only mental strain I'd have..heh. Though, I must say, I would have loved to go to Fangorn Forest, and see the Ents...but then again, it would have been nifty to venture to Ithilien and meet Faramir. Basically, desicion making would be my only mental-strain...assuming that I knew where I would end up at depending on which path I chose. If I didn't, I'd probably just...stick around and see where I ended up at. Did that make sense? Ah well.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Interesting question, Snick... I'm not sure how far I could actually go... I can work backwards though. Cracks of Doom? Never. I've had nightmares about volcanos since I was but a wee lass. Couldn't have run with the orcs, what with asthma. Shelob's lair? Nope. I freaked in the theater, and I really hate spiders in general. The second I felt a spider web, I'd be gone. So if I'd traveled with Frodo... I'd have gotten about to Ithilien before falling apart.

With Merry and Pippen? I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't have been able to tolerate orc-mischief, so I'd have been killed long before the battle by Fangorn.

If I was with the Hunters... I'd have followed them, but there's no way I could have kept up. Seriously though, I could have made it through Helm's Deep, up until the orcs whipped out the explosives.

To be honest... I don't really know how far I could have gone before cracking. I never would have made it to the end, but I would have tried. And if I did, God forbid, give up, I would spend the rest of my existance unable to forgive myself.

Fea
Old 02-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
I think I could have gone with the Three Hunters, provided that I got a horse, of course! I'm a horrible runner, but I guess if I managed to keep up with Gimli, I should be fine.

Since I'm an archer, I suppose I could hang around Legolas all the time, and pick up a few Elven shooting tips. Like I said before, it's extremely hard to truly scare me, since I'm a cynical skeptic who's practically immune to pain, so I suppose I could make it through the Paths of the Dead and the Plains of Gorgoroth. I'm also suitably suicidal, so I'd probably be at the head of the charge against the Orcs at each battle.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I think I would have made it to the end, for the following reasons.

1) I would have made it though I would have complained a lot.

2) Women's intuition.

3) I think im smart enough to stay out of the way while the others fight.

4) I watch Jackie Chan movies.

5) And I know how to wound at close quarters.

6) I took a self defense course. (lol)
Old 02-17-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
I would definitely have got no further than the Green Dragon in Bywater, maybe the Prancing Pony. I am, at heart, a Hobbit, and not one of those adventurous kinds.

If I had been made to go along by force, or promise of more beer, Rivendell would have been it for me. I would have sat with BIlbo all day every day just singing songs and writing poetry. If only they didn't have to go through Moria to get to Lorien I would have chosen there to rest...
Old 02-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #11
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

I've changed my mind again. I would have made it to the end, because I would have been too freaked out to travel back by myself through all that. Rather be with someone and go crazy than be by myself and go crazy... Not exactly your Savior of All Humanity... *hides under covers from scary shadow*
Old 02-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya Ahhhhh!!!!

Well I think if I would have started out as a hobbit. I probably would barely make it to Rivendell. I am a major whimp so the Old Forest would have freaked me out, The Barrows would have scared the living light out of me, and then of course the Nazgul would have freaked me out so much that I most likely would just want to run away back to the Shire and never leave my hole.

I wouldn't have made if very far at all. I am not a warrior, battler, or adventurer in cases like this, and I would make the most terrible soldier.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:03 AM   #13
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How far would I go???

Maybe I would have stopped at the border. The tribal areas of Pakistan scare me: No diplomatic protection, no chance in fighting against a thousand AK-armed terrorists, and no way to call for back-up.

Chill, dude. You're spilling classified stuff on the Net.

Oh, yeah. Thanks, Adam.

Anytime.

Wow. Adam was actually good, for once. Well, maybe I wouldn't have left in the first place. Think about it: Khamul thinks I left, so he'll be leaving the Shire. So I'll have the protection of deception - a rhyme. Cute. - then I'll have Bag End, and kick the SBs, like Bilbo did! What fun!

That is, until the Ringwraiths find out I haven't really left. But then, if Sauron recovers the Ring, I'd be dead. So I won't hear the peoples of Middle-earth saying, "Damn you, Frodo! You should have left the Shire!"

Later days!
->Elenrod

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 02-18-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #14
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

*kudoses all around for Adam, being normal for once!*
Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #15
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Good question. I could possibly make it as far as Rivendell, barely. I really think I would freak out at Weathertop and throw myself off the top. If I could maybe make it past Weathertop, I could probably go to the Mines of Moria. I really don't think I could be shot at or go miles undergroud and still keep my head.

If I, by some miracle, Made it through Moria, I could probably go all the way. I mean, If I can make it through Moria, I could make it through ANYTHING. Nothing else really bothers me. I could handle most everything, except for volcanos. They absolutely terrify me. So I really couldn't have gone with Frodo. But other than that, anything.

Who am I joking. I am a coward. I probably wouldn't be able to step a toe out of my door.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #16
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
How far could I go?

Well, as long as it didn't come to physical pain, I could endure a lot of it. For example, I could survive Weathertop, as long as I wasn't being stabbed by a Ringwraith. I could make it through Helm's Deep and the Pelennor, as long as I didn't get hurt (VERY unlikely! ) I can bounce back from emotional scares pretty easily, but getting hurt terrifies me. I know, I know, I'm a TOTAL wimp! I wish I wasn't though. Argggghhh!!!! *sighs* But what can you do?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #17
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm... I never thought I was the heroic type, but I could go on when its necessary. I once saved my dog from being buried by a severe earthquake ^^

But I just CAN'T stand ghosts. It would scare the living hell out of me, really. I can't even watch ghost movies.

I also am good at Taek-won-do, a traditional Korean martial art, but I doubt it would be of much use against swords and spears.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:41 AM   #18
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Waiting for a battle to start would probably be the hardest thing mentally. I would have been horrified at Helm's Deep and in Minas Tirith.
Now when I start to think about it, the Fellowship encountered a huge amount of scary things *shudders*

I think I could go all the way through with Merry and Pippin if I really had to. I'm not sure if I could follow Aragorn, L and G to the what ever end but if I went with Frodo and Sam, the cracking point would be Shelob's lair. Dark and slimy tunnel and then there's that spider... (what spider phobia?! ) I could probably handle the way from Cirith Ungol to the Sammath Naur (I mean mentally. I can't fight or do anything like that) but if I pass out in Shelob's lair and get eaten, it doesn't really matter anymore.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 AM   #19
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd make it to the end if I didn't die in battle first. I'm really not a bad fighter--karate lessons and a self-defense course; plus I know some basic fencing and I'm a fair archer--and I don't scare easy. If you come up behind me and yell "Boo!" or something, you better hope that you have quick reflexes or you're going to be in a lot of pain; I don't like people trying to ambush me. The only thing that I wouldn't care for would be the Nazgul. I was terrified of the banshee in "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" when I was a little kid, and with their shrieking and being dressed in cloaks I was reminded of that.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
Quote:
I also am good at Taek-won-do, a traditional Korean martial art, but I doubt it would be of much use against swords and spears.
I used to do Taek-won-do... But I had to quit, cus I don't have the skills ( condition, strength and so on).
But I did learn that power lies in speed, and not in strength.

I could've followed Merry and Pippin to the end, cus they were kinda on a holliday ( with Uruks???)Not too much fighting and stuff.

I'm easy to break down mentally, so I would have ended up like a total wreck if I had followed Frodo and Sam.

I'm not scared of ghosts, and I'm a master in hide and seek, so, most likely, I would've followed the pretty Elf, the handsome Strider and the funny Dwarf.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:56 PM   #21
warrenerd
Animated Skeleton

warrenerd has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to warrenerd
i don't think it matters what you can do. i think it matters what you're doing it for. so, if i were in the fellowship, i would definitely make it all the way, because they were doing it for all that they loved in middle earth, you know? they were saving their people. i would do anything to prevent such a miserable end as what would come if they had not succeeded.
~shouting at the wall~
Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 AM   #22
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
i think warrenerd is right they were saving their own people so you cant just quit in the middle.

lets if i were in the fellowship then i could not have endured the paths of the dead they would scare the hell out of me.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #23
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Well, my fighting skills are practically non-existant, so I'd most likely be dead pretty quick. But if somehow I survived...

Shelob's lair- I'd be gone. I could handle the spiderwebs, but by the time Shelob actually showed up, I'd be close to a nervous breakdown already, from all the webs brushing my face and such. I'd probably die of fright at the sight of a giant spider. The little ones, I can deal with, though they creep me out and I usually have to get someone else to squish 'em, but a spider bigger than me...

Cracks of Doom- wouldn't be so bad, but of course I'd never get there, since I'd have to go through Shelob's lair. I don't mind hot rocky emptiness.

Moria- I don't mind caves, I once went into one without a flashlight, following another group with flashlights, and almost fell too far behind coming out. It wasn't a very big one, just a long tunnely thing. (old lava tube, actually) So Moria wouldn't be so bad, at least until the orcs showed up. The bridge of Khazad-dum would be very scary, as it's high up and not very wide.

Paths of the Dead- Like I said, I don't mind caves, but when the caves are haunted, it might be very different. I don't know how scary that would be for me.

Any battle- Which end of this thing do I hold on to again? HEEEELLLP M---
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #24
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'd get to the road outside Rivendell then look back and see what I was leaving behind then think ahead to what was coming, then run like heck back into the Elvish realm and hide under Bilbo's bed until it was all over.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #25
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd have gone into Moria, because I find caves quite interesting, but as soon as I got to the bridge of Khazad-dum that would have been it. I can picture myself backing away from it going "No. No way. I'll just go back the way we came and I'll see you fellas later". Gandalf would have to threaten to put his staff where the sun doesn't shine and that might force me across. If I got that far, then I'd be the same at the stairs of Cirith Ungol.

If I didn't know about Shelob in advance, then her cave wouldn't bother me. I like spiders, but if I saw one that size coming for me I'd run like bejeesus. And as for the Paths of the Dead, I'd be the first one volunteering.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have travelled alone around a fair chunk of the globe, admittedly relatively safe parts and there is no way I would have got further than Bree without major league motivation..I don't think I would have volunteered like Frodo but if you are in a situation you can't avoid you just have to get on with it or die.....and sometimes you surprise yourself

I mean I had a brief teaching career in a "sink" school with a lot of very troubled and difficult kids (until shortly before 50% would have been in special schools because of the level of learning, behavioural and emoptional problems) and basically I couldn't control them at all - absolutely bouncing off the walls. The one day I had them utterly in hand was when there was a bomb scare and I knew and they didn't and in order to protect their safety I had to keep them in control and ignorant of the truth... because if they panicked...it could have been life and death....and somehow despite the fact they could see a stream of police, fire, ambulance and army vehicles entering the school grounds I kept them contained until we could be evacuated safely....

So unless bound by oath, or duty, or the need to protect someone I loved or my own skin... I wouldn't go at all "A coward's soul is mine!"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #27
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wow, Mithalwen, that's a really inspiring story... And not at all reflecting someone cowardly.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

well I'm the person who carries on especially if bad things happen I think I would end up losing the ring to the nazgul but I would keep walking to pretend I had it and then blame Merry and Pippin when Sauron takes over.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nah.... I know I will take easy ways out if possible but I do have a conscience....and while I can't describe how much grief these kids gave me other than to say I was still suffering stress related problems 2 years later...there is a basic human instinct to protect rather than abandon younger human beings even if said younger human beings are driving you to a breakdown...... more of a case of being trained to do the right thing rather than genuine courage or goodness... So mine's a seat in the hall of fire unless I am given a major guilt trip and would have to suffer Elrond's disapproving glances all the time ..... and I hate to say it but I think all that roughing it would turn me into a grouchy bunny...they would probably have fed me to the watcher in the water...

Mind you of all the perils they faced I think it is just as well the 2 attempts at cooking attempted in the wilderness were stamped out..... botulism due to eating 2 week old sausages would be a dismal end to the quest.. :P

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Mind you of all the perils they faced I think it is just as well the 2 attempts at cooking attempted in the wilderness were stamped out..... botulism due to eating 2 week old sausages would be a dismal end to the quest.. :P
LOL omg! I never thought of that!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #31
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

If I was with the fellowship, I would have ditched fight after Boromir died. To put it simply, I don't like Lembas
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:57 PM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'd be fine throughout the journey of the Fellowship. Moria might scare me to death, but with friends like those, who needs to fear? I'd just play the damsel act and hide behind Boromir's shield. And when in the midst of battle, it's easy to be inspired to join in with gusto.
After that, Amon Hen would be a piece of cake. And I could give some great pep talks.

I could never continue with Frodo and Sam. It's not the fear, I'd just lose my patience. Same scenery, same company, same lembas. A few days of those two moping on a volcano and I would have collapsed. Although Gollum might make good company.
Plus, the spider thing... I'd be in hysterics.

I'd join Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. Helm's Deep wouldn't shake me too badly, I'd be in the spirit and fighting away. After that, it's just a question of getting through Pelennor - more room to get into a dodging position, or just to stand on the sidelines and wave your sword around occasionally. The Paths of the Dead would be almost enjoyable to me; I'm not afraid of death, ghosts, or the extremeness of the colour green.

If I was going to lose my nerve, it would be on Caradhras - heights and a fear of being buried under the snow and choking. The battles would be daunting, naturally, but once you're there it's easy to get in the mood. It's like going bungee jumping. You're terrified until you jump, then you get such a rush you want to do it all over again. Survive one battle, and you're attacking bushes for the thrill of it.

It's tempting to drop out after Amon Hen, but what do you do then? If you're stuck halfway through a journey, you might as well continue and see what's out there. I'd at least tag along until civilisation re-appeared. Once I reached Rohan, I'd have a clearer idea of the options facing me.
Thinking about it, I'd be more likely to back out at Moria. The thought of being trapped underground and attacked from all sides, even if it's not known when you first step in, is a tough challenge to face.

I could have handled the wilderness. If you're going with Aragorn et al, at least you end up with decent company and a horse. I would make it through Mordor through sheer endurance and some good pacing.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
Morgoth's Apprentice
Animated Skeleton

Location: In Angband, chillin with Morgoth and learning how to take over the world
Morgoth's Apprentice has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morgoth's Apprentice
Dark-Eye

I think I would have made it all the way. You see, I would have gone with Frodo, and when Gollum showed up I'd knock him out and throw him in the Dead Marshes. I'd use my authority to get Frodo through the Black Gate then when he sent Sam for water I'd reveal myself and take the Ring straight to the Ruler. Sorry guys .
Morgoth's Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #34
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Narya In a mess

I couldn't go that far, I would've stop in Lothlorien...and lived there. Sounds pretty selfish, but I was offered a hand in marriage by one of the High Elves...I couldn't resist!

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #35
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Somehow I feel that many here don't truly realise the physical and psychological requirements of such a journey. Without food, water, with the Ring whispering in your ear, blizzards, wolves, marshes, all kinds of evil creatures I somehow doubt that so many would make it.
I know I probably would not.
And as Tolkien said... only few, perhaps only Frodo in entire M-e could have made that far, so close to the end of the journey. This excludes brave and strong soldiers... so I doubt the journey is as easy as it sounds.
It's not about dealing with the fear of spiders ofr example, it's making it to Shelob in the first place.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #36
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't think I could, the way I am now, but none of us are like anyone inn the fellowship. None of us live hundreds of years (or are immortal), or are divine, or are just very little with hairy feet and amazing stealth (in a good a way).
Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #37
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just found this thread, and -

...guess what? I'm bringing it up.

I don't think that Shelob or the Paths of the Dead or even Gorgoroth would scare me from going. But I think I'd die before I even get to Lorien. Maybe unable to walk another step, since it's the farthest I've walked all my life. Maybe die of thirst and/or hunger. Maybe killed by the first orc I encounter. Maybe trip and fall and break my neck. Or any other way to die.

In other words, I think I'd manage psychologically but not physically. I'm no Eowyn.

But, on the other hand, it's easy enough for me to say that I'm up for it now in my cozy room with a fride full of food a few rooms away. I don't know what I would say/do if I was in the Fellowship, since, well, I was never in it.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #38
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I would've gone the opposite way- to the havens.

After my own lobbying efforts failed, that is. I would've pushed for someone to wield the ring against Sauron, and when it became clear that no one would do such a thing, I might've tried to steal the thing in order to keep it from being sent straight to Sauron. (I wouldn't have seen any hope whatsoever in the plan to send Frodo to Mt. Doom. I mean really- what are the odds Sauron doesn't post a battalion of guards right in the Cracks of Doom seeing how important it is. )

So yeah- I would've been a version of Boromir. But if I wasn't able to get a chance to steal it or was unsuccessful, I would've gone straight in the opposite direction and hope I could get across the sea before Sauron got his ring and flattened everyone.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #39
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When Gollum appears in a loincloth carrying raw fish, I'm out.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #40
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
...guess what? I'm bringing it up.

I don't think that Shelob or the Paths of the Dead or even Gorgoroth would scare me from going. But I think I'd die before I even get to Lorien. Maybe unable to walk another step, since it's the farthest I've walked all my life. Maybe die of thirst and/or hunger. Maybe killed by the first orc I encounter. Maybe trip and fall and break my neck. Or any other way to die.

In other words, I think I'd manage psychologically but not physically. I'm no Eowyn.

But, on the other hand, it's easy enough for me to say that I'm up for it now in my cozy room with a fride full of food a few rooms away. I don't know what I would say/do if I was in the Fellowship, since, well, I was never in it.
Hmmn, well, the original question was about how much mental strain you could take. But as you say, it's too hypothetical to answer properly. Most of the earlier responses revolve around whether or not the posters see themselves as particularly fearful or emotionally fragile, but all that really does is rule some people out to begin with– it doesn't guarantee anyone else would make it, only that they might.