The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Bilbo actor announced soon

MTV Movie Blog says an announcement soon.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo Del Toro ‘Very Close’ To Annoucing Bilbo Baggins Casting For ‘The Hobbit’
Published by Eric Ditzian on Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm.
In what’s becoming something of a tradition between MTV News and Guillermo del Toro, every time we have a chance to chat with the Mexican-born director, we harass him for news about who’s been cast as Bilbo Baggins in his upcoming adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” Last year, he said it was still too early to speculate about the man who would be Baggins. Then at Sundance in January, del Toro announced that he’d narrowed the search to just four actors. So when the director stopped by the MTV offices today to chat about his new vampire novel “The Strain,” everyone had to know the “Hobbit” question would rise again.

It did, and del Toro revealed that four possible Bilbos had now become one. “I believe we’re very close now to saying one name,” he said, adding that he expects to make an announcement in the next few weeks.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My husband, the big newsgroup and blog reader, told me yesterday that Daniel Radcliffe had been cast as Bilbo for the Hobbit movie, though I don't recall what source he got it from. Interesting choice, if so. Wouldn't have expected that.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

There is this in Aceshowbiz
Quote:
Daniel Radcliffe could be moving on from the "Harry Potter" series to "The Hobbit". Reporting on the actors rumored to be potentially cast as lead character Bilbo Baggins, Los Angeles Times through its Hero Complex blog listed the 19-year-old actor among other possible candidates, which allegedly include "Doctor Who" actor David Tennant and "Atonement" star James McAvoy.
About DR, I liked the first Harry Potter movie but think they should have replaced tHarry and his companions, since by the 3rd + movies they had aged beyond
the characters (partially due to the movies taking longer then book time to make).

Had that been done Radcliffe could have diversified more, not been typecast,
and been more credible and prepared for the role. Having said that, if he can be
suitably "aged" and "girthed" (Bilbo was never svelte ) physically he'd be
fine,but acting range wise ???

Perhaps the idea's to bring in fangirls since Legolas couldn't have much (if any) appearance in the films.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post

Had that been done Radcliffe could have diversified more, not been typecast,
and been more credible and prepared for the role. Having said that, if he can be
suitably "aged" and "girthed" (Bilbo was never svelte ) physically he'd be
fine,but acting range wise ???
Why take an actor who is super popular in one role and put him into another popular role? I've only seen the first two Harry Potter movies and Radcliffe wasn't that great of an actor. Perhaps his acting as gotten better...? Still I don't see him as much of a Bilbo figure. I could have seen him as one of the younger Hobbits from LOTR, but not as a young Bilbo.

As far as James McAvoy and David Tennant the other alleged choices for Bilbo, I'm not terribly familiar with their works. I'd rather see a new and somewhat unknown actor come into the role, though I feel that will be unlikely.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Daniel Radcliffe? You have to be kidding me. Hopefully this has no credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Why take an actor who is super popular in one role and put him into another popular role? I've only seen the first two Harry Potter movies and Radcliffe wasn't that great of an actor. Perhaps his acting as gotten better...? Still I don't see him as much of a Bilbo figure. I could have seen him as one of the younger Hobbits from LOTR, but not as a young Bilbo.

As far as James McAvoy and David Tennant the other alleged choices for Bilbo, I'm not terribly familiar with their works. I'd rather see a new and somewhat unknown actor come into the role, though I feel that will be unlikely.
James McAvoy is a fairly well accomplished actor. If you've seen Narnia: TL, TW, and TW, he played Mr. Tumnus. Recently he led (with Keira Knightly) in Atonement, and that was also a very good movie.

I suspect some of our resident 'Downers wouldn't mind the Dr. Who actor, although I've only seen one episode of it, so can't tell you about him.

With getting older, I think all of the young HP actors have improved, but Radcliffe is still pretty wooden and boring to watch, and I think the others over-act at times, as if they are stage actors. But they are certainly better than from the first couple. I would even suggest to go and watch the rest of 'em, I still think Prisoner of Azkaban has been the best one, but they have all significantly improved acting-wise and emotionally.

Still doesn't mean I want Radcliffe as Bilbo, I don't want him in the movie at all to tell you the truth. If true, this would be a huge blunder, and I may beg Peter to take over directing.

Edit: GDT also hinted that he wants Ron Perlman (played Hellboy) in the film, possibly as the voice of Smaug, yet he has 'bigger' plans for Perlman. They really must want to cut back on casting costs to save money on nifty SFX

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-18-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Acting skills aside, Danny boy is way too young! Bilbo was 50 when he went There and Back Again. Granted that hobbits age slower, as they come of age at 33, a hobbit of 50 should probably look like a man in his early or mid thirties.
If this was 20 years ago, I think Colm Meaney would have made a great Bilbo. He's too old now, but he would have had the perfect stature - both physically and acting-wise.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Daniel Radcliffe as Bilbo Baggins. Shades of Frolijah anyone? I agree that while Radcliffe has improved as an actor he doesn't always sell his scenes. Besides I thought he was tied up finishing the last two Potter movies?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

If any Doctor Who actor would make a good Bilbo I would have said Sylvester McCoy, but ultimately, I'm not sure any of the surviving ones really fit the role. Tennant is especially unsuited in my opinion. If he is in any way involved with the film I'd suspect he was getting the Bard the Bowman role if anything. Of course, we're assuming no new characters are being invented for it...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Of course, we're assuming no new characters are being invented for it...
Well, you know, there is a dearth of female characters in TH, and everybody knows that Hollywood thinks a romance is good for the pocketbook. Maybe they'll get Lucy Lawless to do a female Bard and she and Bilbo can share a certain kind of longing look.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think Sylvester McCoy would make a great Bilbo, he seemed
like one of the more sympathetic and empathetic doctors.

As for a female role, just fudge 10 years or so with Aragorn's
age (and does anyone think that would bother PJ?) and you've
got the beginning of the Aragorn/Arwen bit, together with an
appearance (and death scene) by his mother.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Well, you know, there is a dearth of female characters in TH, and everybody knows that Hollywood thinks a romance is good for the pocketbook. Maybe they'll get Lucy Lawless to do a female Bard and she and Bilbo can share a certain kind of longing look.
It could be the beginning of a great romance. And if PJ pulls a George Lucas and releases a LOTR special edition this female Bard can be digitally added in certain scenes, despite how illogical that would be.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can only imagine that casting Tennant as Bilbo would be as a somewhat cynical ploy to appeal to his Dr Who fanbas who probably form the desired demographic. Who ain't my bag but Tennant is a fine actor who I could see in other Tolkienian roles (Eol maybe) but he is just to lanky and fey to play a hobbit - even a son of Belladonna Took. Smacks of desperation maybe?

Daniel Radcliffe might make a good Bilbo in 20 years... MC Avoy is definitely the closest . I wouldn't say he "falls off the page" but given that this film is unlikely to be more true to Bilbo than the others were to Frodo, he could be an intersting choice. I can see him getting the restless Took side even if it is harder to see him as the bourgeouis Mr Baggins..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
No. One of the dwarfs will be female. But you won't know which one. Neither will the other dwarfs.
But there'll be plenty of sidelong looks, uncomfortable pauses in conversations around the campfire and general confusion and unspoken innuendo when it comes time to bed down for the night.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen View Post
Daniel Radcliffe as Bilbo Baggins. Shades of Frolijah anyone? I agree that while Radcliffe has improved as an actor he doesn't always sell his scenes.
I definitely would NOT want Radcliffe as Bilbo! No, no, no!!!
But I can see a repeat of Frodolijah here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Tennant is especially unsuited in my opinion. If he is in any way involved with the film I'd suspect he was getting the Bard the Bowman role if anything.
Tennant as Bilbo? No way. He would make a rather bad hobbit in my opinion, even if it only is because of how tall he is!
I admire David Tennant's acting abilities, but I don't think that he is fit for the Hobbit, maybe for the Sil, but I could never get over this line: "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He would never do!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
No. One of the dwarfs will be female. But you won't know which one. Neither will the other dwarfs.
But there'll be plenty of sidelong looks, uncomfortable pauses in conversations around the campfire and general confusion and unspoken innuendo when it comes time to bed down for the night.
A possibility.

Quote:
I can only imagine that casting Tennant as Bilbo would be as a somewhat cynical ploy to appeal to his Dr Who fanbas who probably form the desired demographic. Who ain't my bag but Tennant is a fine actor who I could see in other Tolkienian roles (Eol maybe) but he is just to lanky and fey to play a hobbit - even a son of Belladonna Took. Smacks of desperation maybe?
For personal reasons I think it would be hilarious I Tennant were cast is Bilbo - just imagine him short and wearing a waistcoat! But for the sake if the film I would not encourage it, same with Radcliffe. On the other hand big-name actors would probabaly encourage non-Tolkien fans to come to the theatres and convert to our religion so to speak. Good things could happen.

Quote:
An interesting point, what are they going to do about that issue? But really, why do they have to change that? Why weren't there more females in the book itself? Not that that is a topic for this page but still.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Of course, given PJ's penchant for "creativity" there
might be a Legolas tryst with a Laketown female archer
(who barvely brings the red arrow to Bard just before
Smaug kills her).
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
For personal reasons I think it would be hilarious I Tennant were cast is Bilbo - just imagine him short and wearing a waistcoat! But for the sake if the film I would not encourage it, same with Radcliffe. On the other hand big-name actors would probabaly encourage non-Tolkien fans to come to the theatres and convert to our religion so to speak. Good things could happen.
Oh, you would, wouldn't you! Just to be funny. But, it would be funny to see Tennant as Bilbo (I just about wrote 'The Doctor') If there were big name actors in this film, then more people would probably come to it, yes, but why spoil a perfectly good film with actors that don't fit at all?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
...actors that don't fit at all?
PeeWee Herman as Beorn?

(OK... I'm ashamed of myself for even suggesting that in jest. I'm a bad, bad boy...)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Funny you should mention it, I touched on this gender confusion in my 'Monty Python's The Hobbit' parody, found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4732841/...ons_The_Hobbit

Here is a brief but illuminating dialogue:

Bilbo was fidgeting as he paced inside Elrond’s chambers. “Now Gandalf, just who is this Master Elrond again?”

“He is a descendant of a great old family,” Gandalf replied succinctly. “Quite famous, actually. His great-grandfather was the mortal Beren who was wed to Luthien, daughter of an Elf king and a Maia.”

“What, like an Aztec?”

“No, Maia as in 'of the Maiar'. I am one myself.”

“I didn't know you came from Peru!”

“Oh, skip it! Just know that Elrond is a half-elf.”

“He's short then?”

“No, no, no!” Gandalf growled. “His father was mortal and his mother was an elf. No, wait...actually they both were elves, but his grandfather was mortal. Bah! Needless to say Elrond is still considered an elf, while his brother was mortal.”

“That makes no sense genetically,” Bilbo muttered in Darwinian confusion.

Dumplin the dwarf interrupted this witty repartee by asking, “Can dwarves wed elves?”

“I'm not sure,” Gandalf answered hesitantly. “I don't see why not, as it has been done several times in fan-fiction stories. Why do you ask?”

Dumplin clasped his hands together and his face turned beet-red. “Well, there's this elf in Mirkwood named Legolas, and he's just GORGEOUS!”

Bilbo frowned and turned to Balin and Dwalin for an explanation. He whispered, “What is the story with Dumplin? He certainly acts odd.”

Balin bit his lip, and then whispered back, “Well, actually, Dumplin is not a HE at all, but a SHE-dwarf, rather.”

Dwalin, whispering also, replied, “Are you sure?”

Balin rolled his eyes. “Well of course I'm sure. Look at her beard!”

“Dumplin…is a she?” Bilbo said incredulously.

Balin shrugged. “Well, close enough for a lonely night on the road.”

“You see, Bilbo,” Dwalin added with downcast eyes, “we dwarves have very few females.”
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #20
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Hahahaha! Oh my goodness! I'm so excited/nervous about the upcoming movies. BTW, has anyone heard if the "Hobbit II" has a name yet?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think it will most likely be The Hobbit: Part One and The Hobbit: Part Two.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
Elfchick7
Wight

really? 'cause I watched an interview where Guillermo said he was planning on making the first film the hobbit and the second would be some sort of transition film between the hobbit and LOTR. As he said, "A fifth film to complete the symphony". *shrug* You never know though, these things do have a way of changing. =)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Elfchick, that was the early plans, but last I head GDT decided against the 2nd film as being the 'bridge' film. He wants the Hobbit split up into 2 parts, because he wants to add in scenes with the White Council and the Necromancer.

After GDT said this, there were rumors of hollywood wanting a 3rd film to bridge The Hobbit and LOTR, but all GDT said was he was signed to do 2 movies, and they would both be about The Hobbit.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinque
For personal reasons I think it would be hilarious I Tennant were cast is Bilbo - just imagine him short and wearing a waistcoat!
Tennant has denied any rumours about him playing Bilbo. Sorry to crush your dream of seeing the Doctor with furry feet.

Quote:
IT WAS always rather unlikely that someone of David Tennant's height and build would end up playing the lead in Guillermo del Toro's two-part film of The Hobbit.

Rumours that the Doctor Who star was on a shortlist for the role surfaced earlier this month with talk that casting would be announced at San Diego Comic-Con.

But Peter Jackson, who is executive producing The Hobbit, said the production was several months way from hiring actors and made it clear there would be no casting news at the convention.

David Tennant has now denied any rumours that he will play Bilbo Baggins, telling MTV: "I'm a bit tall, aren't I? I know they do things with CGI now, but I'm 6'1". Hobbits are little. I do have quite hairy toes, though."

He added: "The internet is a curious place, isn't it? I think someone sits in their bedroom in Saskatchewan and comes up with an idea and they post it.

"And within minutes it's around the world and I'm getting phoned up by journalists and friends of mine saying, 'When are you off to shoot with Guillermo [del Toro]? It's not something I know anything about. No one's talked with me."
See the article here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
I think it will most likely be The Hobbit: Part One and The Hobbit: Part Two.
Yeah, that was just confirmed by PJ at ComicCon.

Quote:
In an interview at Comic Con, Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson spilled some interesting details about the status of the script for The Hobbit. He said the script for part one is about three weeks from completion. And everything — from casting to even getting a final green light from the studio — is still hanging on how that turns out.

He also explained in detail exactly why filmmakers decided that The Hobbit wouldn't all fit into a single movie:

We worked through the storyline, and we thought, "Well, obviously, we could squeeze The Hobbit into one movie," but even, like, a three-hour movie, you'd be amazed at how much of that story you'd have to lose. It's weird. I mean, the book ... is what the book is, and we just worked through a process of including all the events that we'd like to see in a film, and it was clear [that] it wasn't going to fit. Plus, the fact that we want to embellish a few things and put a little bit of extra ... narrative in for Gandalf and what he's doing in Dol Guldur and the Necromancer and various sort of side ... stories that are happening.

So, if all goes according to plan, we should get to see some pretty interesting scenes even beyond what was included in the book. A confrontation between Gandalf and the Necromancer before he has been exposed as Sauron could really turn out to be quite spectacular. There had been some speculation that the Gandalf/Necromancer storyline could be a key part of the plans for the (now abandoned) idea for a bridge film between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. It's good to see that the concept itself has not been wholly abandoned.
Article can be found here.

So no more LotR prequel. I think separating The Hobbit into two parts will work better than the original idea.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Of course PJ has some explaining about a confrontation between
the Necromancer and Gandalf when in the LOTR films he's
just a giant eyeball.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I like this idea of a two-part Hobbit...I think one *could* fit TH into one movie, but it will work better with two, even with new material added. I'm not even entirely opposed to the stuff with the White Council and the Necromancer, though it will be interesting to see how they reconcile the Eye and the Necromancer.

I'm pretty glad that Tennant is out of the running. I like him, and I think he's a good actor from what I've seen...but Bilbo? No way. His body shape's all wrong, and I think he doesn't carry himself quite right to play Bilbo, either.

I don't like the idea about Radcliffe. He's gotten much, much better, but he's still got a long way to go, and looks-wise, I don't think he really fits that well as a Hobbit, and certainly not Bilbo--he's at least 10 years too young.

I do, however, like James McAvoy, or at least, like him the best out of anyone whose name has been thrown around. He's a really talented, versatile actor. While I think there is something Hobbity about him, he doesn't look a thing like my picture of Bilbo (or, for continuity's sake, like a younger Ian Holm). I do think, though, that he'd be able to play the role well and not look too out-of-place.

What I'd really like to see is an unknown in the role, though I don't think that's likely at all, given Hollywood's obsession with money and the draw of big-name actors.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #27
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sort of news involving Bilbo casting at SciFi Wire:

Quote:
Ian McKellen teases with Hobbit casting news

Ian McKellen put in an appearance at London's BFI IMAX cinema Saturday night for a special marathon screening of the extended editions of all three Lord of the Rings films, and surprised the audience by unexpectedly revealing Hobbit news during his introductory remarks, /film reported.

Not only did he confirm that he'll be coming back as Gandalf, and is expecting to start work on set in March of next year, he also dropped a bit of a casting bombshell. According to McKellen, the starring role of Bilbo Baggins has been successfully cast already. Not only that, but he knows who has the role and he's sure that the fans will be very, very pleased.

McKellen also revealed that he is expecting his own personal copy of the script within the next two weeks.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #28
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

(Well, maybe not very afraid since it's verrrrrrry unlikely).
But in the Sydney Morning Herald:
Quote:
Cruise jets into NZ for Jackson meetingAugust 27, 2009 - 10:24AM .
Hollywood star Tom Cruise has flown into New Zealand to meet the country's Oscar-winning director, Peter Jackson.

The actor was met at Wellington airport early on Thursday morning, sources have told New Zealand radio station Newstalk ZB.

It is not known why he is in the country but it is understood he is meeting Jackson. The acclaimed filmmaker is working on a remake of the classic 1954 World War II epic, Dam Busters, the JRR Tolkien classic, The Hobbit, and a film about Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin.

Film critics say Cruise is "very unlikely" to be in line for a role in any of these movies.

But the star has heavy involvement in film studio United Artists so there is speculation that the New Zealand meet-up could be about a joint project.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #29
Light of Eärendil
Pile O'Bones

Light of Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
I pretty much see Tom Cruise as Bard. But I would like Hugh Jackman better for that role.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It isn't going to be a very long bow if Cruise plays the bowman ... I saw Top Gun again a few weeks ago and it is hysterical how poor Kelly McGillis has to slouch in half the scenes to disguise the fact she is so much taller than him. the other half he must be standing on a box.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, hey. They won't have to do as much forced perspective
if he's Bilbo.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #32
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
It isn't going to be a very long bow if Cruise plays the bowman ...
Indeed!

How in God's name can anyone imagine him as the tough Bard?
The only bard possible for him to play is Cacofonix!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #33
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
I have to agree on the negative comments on Daniel Radcliffe as Bilbo. As mentioned above, he has improved--in the last film, he shows a sort of fatalistic, wry humor with respect to his manipulation by Dumbledore. But still he is too much on the serious side to the point where I don't see how he could play the (eventually) free spirited but very shrewd Bilbo.

One has to be a bit worried about the film as a whole to the extent that PJ still exercises a big role. The Hobbit has always suffered in comparison to the LOTR in its relative lack of grander historical substance. We have already seen PJ's penchant for cutesy scenes (e.g., with the dwarf Gimli), so I would be worried that the cutesy aspects of The Hobbit will dominate. Also, LOTR (the movie) suffered from too much focus on the battle scenes, so one has to wonder whether that last battle of the Five Armies will take up half of the movie.

All in all, this calls for a much subtler treatment of the historical context. There is the eviction of Sauron from Dol Goldur, but there is not quite enough substance there from Tolkien, so this needs to be just one element in a broader textured tale that includes the travels of Aragorn perhaps, and a more complete treatment of his relationship in the earlier years with Arwen, and the machinations of Saruman with the White Council as both he and Sauron search for the Ring...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #34
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So much for DT quashing rumours he's been cast in The Hobbit at Comic Con. Not very long afterwards he was reported as havign auditioned for a 'major' film and having been really terrified about it, and right afterwards Ian McK made his announcement that fans would be 'very pleased'...Tennant also has little else lined up for him once he wraps Doctor Who and the couple of episodes of the Sarah Jane Adventures that he will be doing.

I'm convinced it's going to be him.

However I'm still 100% behind Martin Freeman for the role of Bilbo, he'd be perfect.

If Tom Cruise shows his mug in the films then there's no humanity left in the world. And Daniel Radcliffe is more wooden than a B&Q superstore, so no thanks. Also no thanks for James McAvoy who I think is fab, but not right for the part.

Another extremely strong story circulating is that Richard Armitage has been auditioned for the role of Bard.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #35
Elfchick7
Wight

I'm a big fan of Richard Armitage as the Bard. He's a great actor!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #36
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Armitage isn't a bad choice, especially since I'd imagine
Bard's role will be rather expanded in the movie(s).
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
However I'm still 100% behind Martin Freeman for the role of Bilbo, he'd be perfect.
Now you're talking!

Quote:
If Tom Cruise shows his mug in the films then there's no humanity left in the world. And Daniel Radcliffe is more wooden than a B&Q superstore, so no thanks.
Couldn't agree more...

One more terror-scenario: Keanu Reeves as Thranduil...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #38
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Armitage isn't a bad choice, especially since I'd imagine
Bard's role will be rather expanded in the movie(s).
That'd be even better then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
One more terror-scenario: Keanu Reeves as Thranduil...
Just Keanu Reeves full stop.

Two more good suggestions I read on a Guardian comments page were Sam Troughton - last seen as Much in the BBC's now sadly axed Robin Hood and Rafe Spall who was last seen as Holman Hunt in Desperate Romantics. Both of them could take on Bilbo quite well.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #39
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I like Martin Freeman and think he is best realistic candidate but I don't think he is perfect if you think of the book Bilbo who is a Tookish freespirit trapped in a very bourgeouis conventional exterior. Freeman does the ordinary bloke caught in odd circumstances well and he was good as Arthur Dent - a more modern arthur Dent than the posh "silly ***" type played by Simon Jones.

However Richard Armitage... I might even go and see this misbegotten movie if it has Hugo Weaving and Richard Armitage.

And I would love Bill Nighy to play Galion... I know I have said this before but noone does dissipation like him..save perhaps Richard E Grant...
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #40
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I like Martin Freeman and think he is best realistic candidate but I don't think he is perfect if you think of the book Bilbo who is a Tookish freespirit trapped in a very bourgeouis conventional exterior. Freeman does the ordinary bloke caught in odd circumstances well and he was good as Arthur Dent - a more modern arthur Dent than the posh "silly ***" type played by Simon Jones.

However Richard Armitage... I might even go and see this misbegotten movie if it has Hugo Weaving and Richard Armitage.

And I would love Bill Nighy to play Galion... I know I have said this before but noone does dissipation like him..save perhaps Richard E Grant...
Oh yes! The film's full title shall be: The Hobbit - There Will Be Drool.

I'm also holding out for Richard Wilson to voice Smaug as his is the voice I hear when I read the Dragon's words! I don't know, however, if he'd consider it too close to his role in Merlin what with the talking dragon in that and everything...wasn't he also in that awful Demons?