The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Good thing I made it through the party scene...

I was around 12 years old. It was Christmas. I was looking forward to toys. My aunt gave me books, instead. Books! A series of three of them. Stupid aunt. My mother insisted I give them a shot.

It only took 30 years for me to wear them out, and have to buy a new set.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #42
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien I was 10

When I was 10, I saw a dramatised version of The Hobbit on a UK children's TV series called Jackanory, transmitted over 2 weeks and 10 episodes. I was impressed; as it was a nice mix of very well and less well-known actors of the time, Bernard Cribbins playing Bilbo Baggins.

While the effect of the dramatisation on me was significant, it was delayed; because it was two years later before I began to read the book. The occasion was my family moving house, me coming across a forgotten copy of The Hobbit, and eventually reading it to pieces. The rest, for me, is history...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #43
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I had the 1st and 3rd movies at home, and I had watched part of Fellowship, but I usually watched Disney or read Harry Potter instead. However, when the Return of the King video game came out, my neighbor bought it for her son and I would play it with him. (By which I mean get killed by the elephants). I liked the game, even though I was terrible, so I watched Fellowship and Return of the King all the way through. Since we didn't have The Two Towers, I read in in my freshman year of High School when I saw that my school library had it. Then I read Fellowship and ROTK, and I found TTT movie at a flea market, so I bought it and watched it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #44
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks to Peter Jackson. Tolkien's books aren't much popular in my country like Harry Potter's are. I saw the movies in 2010-11, and wanted to read the books. And finally, I did read them. Hehehaha!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #45
King Naugladur
Pile O'Bones

King Naugladur has just left Hobbiton.
Me, too, was exposed to Tolkien via PJ's movies. I was 12 years old when the "Fellowship of the Ring" was released and I was so thrilled, that I went to the library and purchased the LOTR books, as well as "The Hobbit". Needless to say, I was hooked. Subsequently, I bought the "Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales". I remember myself n 2007 jumping up and down from joy about the release of "The Children of Hurin". What about you, guys?
King Naugladur.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #46
Orphalesion
Animated Skeleton

Orphalesion has just left Hobbiton.
I was very much into British fairy mothology (you know, fairies, elfs pookahs, brownies etc.) ab reading lots and lots of reference books about them. One of those reference books alluded to "Tolkien portraying the Elves as a tribe of beautiful, musical beings and the primary force of good in his Lord of the Rings trilogy" or something to that effect. So I asks my mother (who worked at a bookstore) if she would order the Lotr for me. Coincidentally that was like perhaps 1 or 2 years before the movies were released.
I was halfway through the Silmarillion before I saw Fellowship. Never was so disappointed in a movie.
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
Eowyn-of-Rohan
Newly Deceased

Eowyn-of-Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I got introduced to LotR when my parents watched the movies. I had nothing better to do so I decided to watch FotR with them. I was hooked from that point on. I immediately started reading the books and finished those within a few weeks. Then I decided to read The Hobbit and finished that in a day. I have been obsessed with Tolkien and Middle Earth since.
Eowyn-of-Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #48
TilloW
Newly Deceased

TilloW has just left Hobbiton.
My parents had read the Hobbit so I thought that I would try it. It's a great book so I thought read the sequels. They were great books so I read the Silmarillion. That was a great book so I read Unfinished Tales. Oh, and I've seen the movies in between.
TilloW is offline   Reply With Quote