piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Tears of Mirrormere Discussion Thread

Thinlómien and Groin Redbeard invite you to play in their RPG:

Tears Of Mirrormere
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Basic Storyline: After the death of Balin, Lord of Moria, his people are attacked by an army of Orcs that comes up the Silverlode. The Dwarves hold off the enemies and when the Balrog awakens, there is a battle and the survivors try to flee to the Eastern Gate, where they find that they are trapped between the Balrog and the orcs and the Watcher and flee back to the Chamber of Mazarbul, where they are eventually slain.

NOTE: To refresh your memory of what Tolkien wrote about this period in Dwarvish history please re-read – The Fellowship of the Ring; “Chapter 5”, The Bridge of Khazad-dum (about the first 3 pages).
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The purpose of the story is to: Give an account of the Dwarves' desperate defense at the Eastern Gate, in the Twenty-First Hall, Hollin Gate and eventually the Chamber of Mazarbul.

This means we will know the story is over when: When everyone is dead!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Starting location: The Dimrill Dale, near Mirrormere.

Likely destination: Hollin Gate and back to the Chamber of Mazarbul.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Map of Khazad-dűm - HERE

Map of geographic area in which Khazad-dűm lies & article on Khazad-dűm historyHERE

Geography & History of Khazad-dűm/Moria - HERE

The layout of Moria based on LotR quotes - HERE

---------------

Links to various articles on Tolkien Dwarves:

The Encyclopedia of Arda: Dwarves

Tolkien Gateway Wiki: Dwarves

Dwarves - Wikipedia - Click on Dwarves(Middle Earth) once you've accessed this page.

Them Dwarves, Them Dwarves (Suite 101 article)

Them Dwarves, Them Dwarves II (Suite 101 article)

Where Tolkien Got His Dwarf-names From

How Dwarves Age - HERE

---------------

Barrow-Downs' Threads

Dwalin the Dwarf - @ ages of Dwarves - HERE

---------------

The Dwarvish language - Khuzdul; in addition to this secretive spoken language, the Dwarves also had a secret hand language/gesture code called Iglishmęk

--------------

Parts of an axe - for all you axe-loving Dwarves can be found HERE.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Some Dwarvish Equivalents for Sindarin or Westron terms:

Mahal - Dwarvish name of Aulë, the Vala who created the Dwarves

Sigin-tarâg - "the Longbeards"; Durin’s Folk, the oldest of the 7 clans/Houses of the Dwarves

Uzbad Khazaddűmu – Lord of Khazad-dűm (Balin, in this RPG)

~*~

Azanulbizar - "Dimrill Dale"; in Sindarin Nanduhirion

Khazad-dűm - "Dwarrowdelf"; in Sindarin Hadhodrond then renamed Moria (The Black Chasm) when the Dwarves deserted it

Kheled-zâram - "Mirrormere"

Kibil-nâla - "Silverlode River”; in Sindarin the River Celebrant

-----

The three great peaks in The Misty Mountains which topped Khazad-dűm:

Barazinbar - "Redhorn", one of the mountains over Moria; in Sindarin Caradhras

Bundushathur - "Cloudyhead", one of the mountains above Moria; in Sindarin Fanuidhol

Zirak-zigil - "Silvertine", one of the mountains over Moria; in Sindarin CelebdilThe

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-25-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 2994.

The storyline itself or plot covers 1 week, plus 1 Day (or longer if need be).

This game requires a time commitment of eight months from me, the game owner and from the major players, (but we're not too sure about this).
Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

This Discussion Thread will open for posting on November 10th, sometime in the morning U.S. Pacific Time.

Until then, please read the RPG proposal thoroughly and develop a character you'd like to play in this game. Once the Discussion Thread opens go ahead and post your Character Description form to it.

Thanks!

~*~ piosenniel (Pio), RPG moderator
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

The discussion thread is now open to take on players for this game.

Have fun!!!!!

~*~ Pio
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! November 10th!

Thanks so much Pio!

Alright, *bangs gavel on the table* I guess the first order of business would be to have all the players who Lommy and I have contacted through PMs to and get their character biography's in. All the other newcomers can take a look at the information that Pio, Lommy, and I have obtained and to go check out the first post of the game.

Looking forward to playing with ya'll and to reading those character biography's!

P.S. Don't forget, if you need a player, or just need a Dwarf name, we still have two characters Nali and Loni who could be taken up as characters.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I am going to be quite greedy and obnoxious and submit for two roles. If need be, I can determine which is a secondary character, but at the moment I'm really not sure, so... Anyway, I also hope that a combined history for the two, a pair of siblings, is alright.

NAME: Kór

RACE: Dwarf, Longbeard from the Iron Hills

WEAPONS: He bears a simple one-handed axe on his belt on his left side, and three small throwing axes on his right.

APPEARANCE: Kór is of average dwarf height who carries some excess weight around his middle. His beard is a fiery orange and is not very long but very thick. He bears a single braid down the middle of it. The hair on his head is both thick and long, falling almost to his waste. He keeps it out of his eyes by braiding a section in the middle of his head. His eyes are dark brown. His nose is slightly squashed-looking like his mother’s. Kór wears chainmail over a brown leather hauberk, with dark brown studded leather leggings, boots, and gloves, and hard, studded leather spaulders. Strapped on his back is a thick, soft leather bag containing a small (folk) harp.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kór is a fairly quiet and reserved dwarf, though he always has a smile ready for anyone. He is naturally rather cheery and optimistic for a dwarf, and enjoys uplifting spirits. His true love is music, and he often plays his harp. He never sings, but is happy to play while others do. He does compose his own tunes, normally only pieces at a time, in addition to knowing some traditional melodies. He makes an appearance of being reluctant to play in front of others, but he truly enjoys any opportunity to do so. And often Kór will simply pull out his harp and play to himself. Kór is not one to share his opinions and certainly not his feelings – not even anger most of the time, though if he feels someone has slighted him he will seethe over it and bear a grudge forever. His confidence in anything other than his ability with the harp is lacking, and he often is overshadowed by his sister’s personality. Like all dwarves, he is not lacking on the battlefield, though he is nowhere near the quickest to the fight. He is slow to make decisions in general, though he rarely regrets those he makes.

~

NAME: Kórin

RACE: Dwarf, Longbeard from the Iron Hills

WEAPONS: On her belt she carries a one-handed mace on her left side and a knife on her right.

APPEARANCE: Kórin is a little shorter than her brother, but more muscular. Her hair is the same fiery orange as her brother’s and is even longer with five braided sections amidst the loose, thick hair. She has a very prominent nose – her father’s nose. She also has dark brown eyes. She wears a dark brown studded leather hauberk, and thick black leather leggings, boots, and gloves. She also wears a dark grey cloak.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kórin is a very boisterous dwarf. She loves good ale, good food, good pipeweed, games, gambling, tricks, jokes, and a good laugh. She shows affection largely through insults. She especially gives her brother a hard time, though she wishes he would dish back the same more often. She actually has a very nice singing voice (she is a contralto). She will sometimes sing while her bother plays the harp, but not often, for she is fonder of livelier music with fiddles and the like. Kórin is as quick to anger as most dwarves, though she also happens to be as quick to forgive or at least to forget. She has more of a fighter’s nature in her than her brother, but she does not act rashly. She can be very calculating and cunning when she wants to be.

COMBINED HISTORY: Kór and Kórin’s father, Grundin, came from the Iron Hills to aid in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs in 2799. Though he afterward returned to his home in the Iron Hills with his wife, Grundin followed Dain II to Erebor for the Battle of the Five Armies. He decided to settle at Erebor, where his wife and two young children later joined him. While their father protested he was much too old (and certainly the two do not expect to see their father again should they return to the Lonely Mountain, even soon), Kórin was most enthusiastic about following Balin to truly re-conquer Khazad-dűm. Kór, who was always quietly protective of Kórin though she is his elder, would not let her go without him.

Thanks very much for reading and considering my bios!

-Dury

--------------------------

LINKED TO PLAYER - CHARACTER LIST ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420! <- Dwarven beer since there's no axe icon

Yes, indeed - welcome everybody, don't be afraid to approach this thread: this will be a marvellous RPG.

Durelin - I've said this already, but your bios are great.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention - I'm going to take up a secondary character as well, but I don't want to decide anything before I know what kind of party we're going to have.

Other than that, I have little to say right now. All kinds of comments, questions and character bios are warmly welcome.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
Here are my characters for your consideration. Arry will be bringing his character (Vitr) in soon.

We'll both play the child characters as secondaries.

-------------------------

Lilly’s characters:

Wife/Mother

NAME: Lys Silverfist

RACE: Dwarf - Firebeard House

WEAPONS: Her quick wit. Does have a knife she uses for skinning. Wields a big marble rolling pin when she bakes – a good, stout clout from it could put a healthy dent in a foe’s skull or hobble him if aimed at the kneecaps

APPEARANCE: About 4 ft tall, sturdy build, coppery red hair worn in two long plaits down her back. Round, pleasant face; brown eyes. Favors dark blue, woolen dresses, mid-calf length. Soft, dark brown leather knee-high boots. Supple leather knee-length apron with three spacious pockets – worn for cooking and working on her little enameled jewelry pieces.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Even tempered for the most part; does have a spark of the well-known fiery temper of the Firebeards when pushed too hard. Good sense of humor; loves to sing. Good cook; deft hand working precious metals into intricate pieces of jewelry. Her strength is rooted in her family; they are also her greatest weakness as she would do anything to keep them safe.

HISTORY: Lys’ family, the Forgefires, were part of a small bevy of Firebeards who affiliated themselves with the Longbeards in Erebor. She married Vitr Silverfist of the Longbeard House when she was 70 years old. Their first child, a daughter, died in infancy. She had little hope of having another, it seemed, as the years passed without a child blossoming in her belly. At the age of 80, by the grace of Mahal, she and Vitr became the parents of a lively pair of twins - Tív and Tíva When the children were 2 years old, she and Vitr moved south with those of the Longbeard House who were seeking to reclaim Khazad-dum. Tales of gems and vast veins of true-silver made them hopeful that they could build up a bit of wealth for their family.

Son

NAME: Tív Silverfist

RACE: Dwarf – Longbeard House

WEAPONS: slingshot; stout wood short sword

APPEARANCE: Wiry build, about 2 ˝ ft tall; dark chestnut hair worn short, above his collar, usually tousled. Brown eyed. Wears tunics and short leg breeches – old and tattered, comfortable, if not directed otherwise by his mother.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Bright, cheerful personality; inquisitive. Energetic; likes to go on ‘adventures’. Sometimes exceeds the limits of his abilities and winds up getting hurt. Loves sweets. His sister is his best friend and confidante.

HISTORY: Does not recall much of his first two years or the travel from Erebor to Khazad-dűm. These five years since his family’s arrival at the halls beneath the three great peaks have been filled with adventure and delight.

Daughter

NAME: Tíva Silverfist

RACE: Dwarf – Longbeard House

WEAPONS: Quick on her feet; an expert at hide-and-seek; slingshot and a bag of rounded pebbles of various sizes.

APPEARANCE: Same build as her brother – wiry, about 2 ˝ feet tall. Her hair is chestnut, also, but with a few more fiery highlights than her brother’s. She wears it long, in two thick braids. Prefers the same tunics and short-leg breeches as her brother. Will, with some coaxing, put on a dress for special occasions.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: She is for the most part a sunny-dispositioned child, but one who is more reticent than her brother. A cautious person. Willing to go on adventures, but likes to have something of a ‘plan’ in place. She has a wicked sense of humor at times and loves to pull practical jokes on her family. She finds her brother an especially gullible target.

HISTORY: Does not differ much from her brother’s. She loves her brother fiercely and will defend him with words, and fists if need be.

LINKED TO PLAYER - CHARACTER LIST ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wow, it indeed seems great and like an interesting party (need to read the biographies deeper, though. Just skimmed through them). This rp looks really promising!

And seeing that everybody takes two characters, I am thinking of taking one more, too. After all, Óin dies already before the final encounter. I was thinking about Lóni or Náli if nobody takes them, but that would be the last resort - really just if nobody wants them. But like Lommy, I will probably see what kind of folks we have around here, and according to that pick some second.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I filled in my save.

I had Iari leave her house in search of companionship. I was wondering if she could go to the Silverfists since Tíva and Tív are around her age. Of course that depends upon what Lilly and Arry are planning.