Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #201
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Ooh, Groin, you gave me a magnificient idea...!!! Well, it will suffice if I say that what I had in mind is what he would say to Trór immediately when he sees him and now I just got an idea for an addition...
Goody, this gives me something to look forward to.

I've just put up a post for Loni and Nali. Nali is talking to Folwren's character and Durelin's will soon be called into play. I thought that a little more interaction would be nice, so I added Korin to the council's members. Legate, let me know if I have overstepped my bounds with Loni, I do not know if the proposal he made would be in accordance with his character.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #202
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Groin, when would you like me to write for Ori?

I'm afraid I won't have time to write for Vigdis today as I can't be making noise with typing much longer tonight and I have history homework to finish... but I will try to find time to write something for her tomorrow and if not then, I should have at least a little time on Friday...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #203
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Legate, let me know if I have overstepped my bounds with Loni, I do not know if the proposal he made would be in accordance with his character.
Hmm, actually, yes - I don't think Lóni would be proposing any of these. Maybe if you think Náli could do this, you could merely change the roles in the dialogue (of course the "attitudes of his brother" comment would have to be altered). Because I don't really think Lóni would be the active one in this. The best will be really just switcing the names in the dialogue.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #204
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
By the way, both Vigdis and Ori are so much going to love that wailing of the women and the special means to stall it...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #205
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
AHA! I am FINALLY getting into this character! He is beginning to fit what I had originally imagined.

Okay, folks, I've posted again. Not that I needed to blare a trumpet or anything. Kitanna, I have joined the grandchildren and grandfather, and may now wait your response.

Groin, I have answered Nali, but sent him off again. Kenan will soon be at your convenience. I think, though am not sure, that there will be some choice words spoken at this said council. Things may be...eh...interesting, shall we say?

I am looking forward to it.

And, Arry I would have had more discussion with your character (I wanted to let you post again after Kenan got so heated), but since Groin had posted with Nali coming up, I didn't feel I could keep him waiting. However, if you think it likely (as I did) that Vitr would say something in response to Kenan's outburst of feeling, you can write something and PM it to me (or something) and I can edit it into my post. Whatever you want to do. I did not want to venture writing for your character.

-- Folwren
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #206
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post

Okay, folks, I've posted again. Not that I needed to blare a trumpet or anything. Kitanna, I have joined the grandchildren and grandfather, and may now wait your response.
I've put up a save and hopefully will respond soon. Hopefully it will only take me a day or two to fill the save.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #207
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:

And, Arry I would have had more discussion with your character (I wanted to let you post again after Kenan got so heated), but since Groin had posted with Nali coming up, I didn't feel I could keep him waiting. However, if you think it likely (as I did) that Vitr would say something in response to Kenan's outburst of feeling, you can write something and PM it to me (or something) and I can edit it into my post. Whatever you want to do. I did not want to venture writing for your character.
I think I'll have Vitr head back to his family. Kenan has certainly given him something to think about - I think Vitr would not have questioned Balin's decision to go out alone, but now here is an elder Dwarf voicing the opinion that that was essentially an ill-thought move.

We'll see what I can come up with.

& thanks - about the 'not venturing'.

-- Arry
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #208
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Groin, when would you like me to write for Ori?
It's near the end of the week right now, so today I'll have Tror ask Frar and Nali fetch Korin. When Gwathagor and Durelin respond they can bring the characters to the Eastern-Gate. I'll make sure that we get there as swiftly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Hmm, actually, yes - I don't think Lóni would be proposing any of these. Maybe if you think Náli could do this, you could merely change the roles in the dialogue (of course the "attitudes of his brother" comment would have to be altered). Because I don't really think Lóni would be the active one in this. The best will be really just switcing the names in the dialogue.
No problem, I've edited the posts and sent Loni off to the gate. I hope that was alright, unless you have something for Loni to say to anyone in the great hall.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #209
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
It's near the end of the week right now, so today I'll have Tror ask Frar and Nali fetch Korin. When Gwathagor and Durelin respond they can bring the characters to the Eastern-Gate. I'll make sure that we get there as swiftly as possible.
Alright, but I won't be able to write anything during the weekend, except maybe Sunday evening...

I was planning to write for Vigdis today but work exhausted me and writing Christmas cards took more time than I thought it would... I'll write for her tomorrow, and that's a promise I will keep.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #210
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm good to go again, hopefully I didn't leave you all having to stall too long. Nasty little court case that we had no business being at. The deputy who pulled over one of our drivers even said he wasn't sure what the law said but gave him a ticket anyway.

Quote:
All done Boro, although I think I rushed it and made things move along faster than needed. What do you think? Also, how is your character? Let me know if I wrote something wrong, or if you want to write for him instead.~Groin
Post is great, it works nicely with Gror.

I think it might be better if Oin informed everyone about the orcs...I mean Gror just knew there were a lot of them, that is if you want a detailed account from someone. Now, Gror can of course state his business for being in Moria in more depth, and perhaps (unintentionally of course ) give the dwarves false hope that their fellows from Erebor will be coming?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #211
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin - I left it open in my post whether or not Nali has left Korin and Kor. I think right now the siblings are perfectly capable of carrying on a conversation between themselves while Nali's still trying to talk to them. So up to you whether or not Nali has more to say.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #212
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I didn't mean to write a novel, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I think it might be better if Oin informed everyone about the orcs...I mean Gror just knew there were a lot of them, that is if you want a detailed account from someone. Now, Gror can of course state his business for being in Moria in more depth, and perhaps (unintentionally of course ) give the dwarves false hope that their fellows from Erebor will be coming?
Yes, but Gror will obviously be asked about it because no one knows when Óin will return...

And really, everybody, I tell you, I love this RPG.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #213
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I second what Lommy has said, also, Legate wants Oin brought to Khazad-dum with the orcs nipping at his heels. The confusion and lack of information won't be an odd or an unwelcome thing, it is usually how battles are planned, plus it makes for some interesting writing. Personally I like it better if Gror explains everything, that way I can use a subplot that I have been waiting to use with Oin and Tror.

Durelin, I'll have Nali stay and listen to Korin and Kor's conversation. He'll probably want to make sure that his idea gets to the council as soon as possible.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 12-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #214
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hey Groin, "whilst" is actually an archaic form of "while" rather than "will."
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #215
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Hey Groin, "whilst" is actually an archaic form of "while" rather than "will."
Awe, and I was having so much fun using those old words.

Just so you know, Gwath (you might have already seen this, but just as a reminder...), Tror has encountered Frar in the hall leading to the bridge of Khazad-dum. I hope that it was alright that I made that short little confrontation between the two, I remembered what you said about Frar beginning to devise a plan so I thought that I would use that in my post. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #216
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
Save filled! Lys and twins are safe at home.

The door is barred, though, so Vitr will have to knock, Arry!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #217
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Looks good, Lilly.

Will try to get a post up sometime to day!!

-- Arry
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #218
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So far we have Loni, Ori, and Gror ready for the council; and we are still waiting on Kenan, Tror, Frar, Nali, and Kori. Kenan comes in his own good time, I just need a response from Durelin and Gwathagor to get the council going, so whenever you two get the chance could you please post? I am rather anxious to get the council started (partly because I want to see what Lommy has planned), sorry if I'm pushing y'all around too much.

I'm loving these saved posts, can't wait to see them all filling up!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #219
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Yes, and I'll be ready to have Gror give his limited information whenever we're ready.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #220
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
So far we have Loni, Ori, and Gror ready for the council; and we are still waiting on Kenan, Tror, Frar, Nali, and Kori. Kenan comes in his own good time, I just need a response from Durelin and Gwathagor to get the council going, so whenever you two get the chance could you please post? I am rather anxious to get the council started (partly because I want to see what Lommy has planned), sorry if I'm pushing y'all around too much.

I'm loving these saved posts, can't wait to see them all filling up!
I'm sorry, I hope I don't end up holding up the council. I'm waiting on Kitanna to fill her save. I imagine Kenan will be able to join the gathering just as soon as he has talked with his grandkids a little.

-- Foley
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #221
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
(partly because I want to see what Lommy has planned)
Better stop being so excited about that, it's nothing special, just a few lines!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #222
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great posts everyone, the story is wonderful so far!

Quote:
Better stop being so excited about that, it's nothing special, just a few lines!
What? I love your writing not matter how small the plot!

Durelin, nice job with Korin. It really cracked me up when she sloshed her beer all over Nali's boots, great stuff!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #223
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I'm sorry, I hope I don't end up holding up the council. I'm waiting on Kitanna to fill her save. I imagine Kenan will be able to join the gathering just as soon as he has talked with his grandkids a little.

-- Foley
Ugh, it's finals week and I've lost the time to fill my save. I'm going to try to fill it tomorrow, if not then I'll fill it after I take my last test on Thursday. If that's a problem I can just delete my save and put up a post when I actually have the time to fill it.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #224
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Ugh, it's finals week and I've lost the time to fill my save. I'm going to try to fill it tomorrow, if not then I'll fill it after I take my last test on Thursday. If that's a problem I can just delete my save and put up a post when I actually have the time to fill it.
Yes, well, you are not the only one. But at least I hope nobody relies on my save for now. As soon as the pre-Christmas busi-ness in school ends, I will be able to post normally again. That means, on Friday you can expect me finally posting all I wanted. I promise I will do it then at last, but there's been really no time to do anything now.

Just one checking thing - Groin, Lommy, especially you two - do you have any more concrete idea how many Orcs approaching are we talking here? At least this party which Óin could see now.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #225
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
No, don't delete the save, because it doesn't make any difference on WHERE in the thread your post is - Kenan is going to wait for an answer before going off to the council.

But don't fret! I understand entirely. I've got finals this week, too, and haven't been able to write much as a consequence. We can wait until Thursday or whenever for your save to be filled.

Good luck on your tests.

-- Foley
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #226
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

File saved. Errr, save filled. Now Óin may encounter yet something before he comes home, but at least I have time to focus also on the others, Onli (when he finishes what he is doing now) and also Lóni. Well, fine. Let's see how this goes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #227
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hurrah! I've been keeping my eye on that post in hopes that it would be filled soon and I am glad to say that I was not disappointed. Well done, Legate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Legate
Just one checking thing - Groin, Lommy, especially you two - do you have any more concrete idea how many Orcs approaching are we talking here? At least this party which Óin could see now.
I don't think that Lommy and I have discussed this (and if we have, Lommy please refresh my memory) but it would have to be a considerable amount seeing that the orcs don't know if the colonists have had any reinforcements from Erebor and also if they mean to storm the halls it would have to be a huge arm. I might say that it is as large as 5,000 strong. Does this sound good to you?

I will get a post up for Nali today and bring Korin, and possibly Kor, to the council. Gwathagor, I'm ready to begin the council after I post so if you want to get a response up for Frar that would be great!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #228
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I don't think that Lommy and I have discussed this (and if we have, Lommy please refresh my memory) but it would have to be a considerable amount seeing that the orcs don't know if the colonists have had any reinforcements from Erebor and also if they mean to storm the halls it would have to be a huge arm. I might say that it is as large as 5,000 strong. Does this sound good to you?
I suck with numbers, so whatever you say is fine by me. (And no, we didn't discuss it earlier. )
Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #229
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, 5000 is quite a lot. It is half of what attacked Helm's Deep. Théoden came with 6000 riders to Pelennor. If this is going to be 5000, that would have to be everything that really came to Moria. I would imagine that the Orcs who later were in Moria did not come all at once. But okay, it could be several thousand, possibly. Or does anyone else have anything to say to that?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #230
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Question

Perhaps I missed it, but - how many Dwarves are we thinking there are in Khazad-dum at present? And what would be the breakdown into #'s of men, women, children, do you think?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #231
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That is actually a good question. To the latter, certainly there will be far, far, far more men than women and children, if only because there were always too few women among Dwarves. I think it may be even something like 70% (or even 80?) of men, and some really small number of children (there should be even less of them than women - and far less, because for the time of the existence of the colony there hardly were more than a few born. If I say five children born there, then I am highly, highly overdoing it. And I don't think many parents with children would choose to venture into these uncertain, though of course legendary areas).

And the number of the Dwarves really should not be very big. We are certainly talking less than thousands here. But I am not really good in counting things like this.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #232
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Question

Also - is it a foregone conclusion that every one of the Dwarves in K-d dies? Any wiggle room there?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #233
Kitanna
Child of the West

I filled in my save, finally. It's just a brief conversation between Kénan and Kéni.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #234
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Groin had an idea bout the numbers but as I'm bad with numbers I already forgot it. It really doesn't matter much to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Also - is it a foregone conclusion that every one of the Dwarves in K-d dies? Any wiggle room there?
Well, as the Fellowship were apparently the first ones to find about the fate of the colony, I'd say no. However, that is not 100% definite - I have a few ideas and if they work out fine there might be a little wiggle room... We'll see.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #235
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Quote:
Well, as the Fellowship were apparently the first ones to find about the fate of the colony, I'd say no. However, that is not 100% definite - I have a few ideas and if they work out fine there might be a little wiggle room... We'll see.
Well, I believe the main problem would be that there are many years passing between Balin's death and the Fellowship's coming, and nobody learns about the fate of the colony until the Fellowship passes through there. Of course it would be possible to work out something, but certainly you cannot count on anybody escaping or anything like that.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #236
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it, but - how many Dwarves are we thinking there are in Khazad-dum at present? And what would be the breakdown into #'s of men, women, children, do you think?
I have read somewhere that the usual ratio for men to women with Dwarfs are 3/1, and the same with children. I don't know about y'all but I would say that that ratio would be greater in favor of the men in Moria, especially since it was considered a dangerous place. I think that the ratio would be 5/1 in this case, with almost no kids, the twins and grandchildren are probably some of the few that the dwarves brought with them. What I'm saying isn't set in stone, I'm just thinking out-loud here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly
No wiggle room! Everyone must die! Daaark RPG here!

If we were to use this idea the only time that I think it probable is when the Dwarves try to exit the Hollin Gate and a few get past the Watcher in all the confusion. Although, this would mean that those survivors could not get in-touch with any civilization in the nearly sixty years that elapse between the fall of Balin and the coming of the Fellowship. If they were to come in contact with anyone I am sure that they couldn't help but spill the beans on the whole matter. Not to say that we couldn't do this, just thinking out-loud again.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #237
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great. I'll get Kenan moving within the next day or two and get him going towards the council.

-- Foley
Old 12-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #238
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Finals: 0, Me: 1. Now, if only the Saints had a similar record...

Finally filled in my save and hopefully I'll have the chance to catch up on everybody's posts tonight and tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #239
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice post, Lilly! I'll try to continue the conversation from Vitr's side sometime later today.

"Wiggle room" - what might you be cooking up that you need it for?

-----

Great posts, everyone! Am very much enjoying writing in and reading along on this game!!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #240
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lilly

What a bomb to drop on poor Vitr!

I'll see what I can come up with for the sure-to-be duty-torn Dwarf.

-- Arry