The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 05:06 AM   #281
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Welcome to all the Newbies! Its great to have you here and enjoy being dead [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Niluial
Old 09-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #282
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
1420!

Welcome all newbies that I have not welcomed since the last time I posted!!! Please help all of our lovely mods and other members by following the rules at the beginning of each section! Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 09-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #283
Golden

Sting

Well, hullo to all of you!

I'm new, well, new here anyway, not new to the message board stuff.

The name be Golden. Long story. Usualy that is the name I use, but I also go by Salad, Ronnie and Brandon (The real one).

I frankly don't care what I'm called. But for now Golden will do.

Just one question, perhaps I didn't read well enough, but how do you join the RPs? Just curious, as I love RPing. And am very, VERY good at it.

Thanks all.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:49 PM   #284
Elmirwen

Silmaril

Mae govannen, mellon nin! I am called Elmirwen - the star-jewel maiden. I hail fron the midst of a darkness in which I am the only light...may a star shine at our meeting now and forever more...

Isn't role-playing fun.....

Old 09-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #285
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello... I am Jack! That exsplains itself well I think...! yes well see ya all...
Old 09-25-2003, 11:56 AM   #286
She Nazgul

Sting

Hi all...pretty cool place.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:04 PM   #287
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As it seems with most people, I've been on the site for 2 or 3 years, but only just decided to join the forum. Hi to everyone!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:42 PM   #288
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Hello, dear newbies! Welcome to the 'Downs, and enjoy your death! If you have any questions, we'll be glad to help. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Golden, roleplaying is located in The Shire, Rohan and Gondor.

(Hey again, Vlad!)

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Oddwen ]

Old 09-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #289
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Welcome all! Enjoy being dead, umm yeah... bye!

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 09-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #290
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Mae govannen, all of you newbies! Enjoy your deaths, and if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask, we are friendly ghosts here.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #291
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dūm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I second that! Mae Govanen, and all welcome. read through the rest of this thread to find some good advice, and if you want please pm me.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #292
Sulwen

Sting

Hey everybody! I'm new...I just signed up. I accidentaly posted before introducing myself...I hope that's not like, REALLY bad or anything. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] But anyhoo...I'm Sulwen..that's one of my Elvish names. I have another one that's from the barrow downs generator...but I keep forgetting how to spell it. lol. so I just use this one. well..g2g...bye!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
:-: Sulwen the Wind Maiden :-:

Old 09-27-2003, 03:30 PM   #293
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sulwen) 1. do all the lil icon at the top (i.e. the sword, pipe, sheild, etc.) have a meaning or do you just pick your favorite???
2. how did ya'll get your aviater pics up next to your names??
3. how do get become (for lack of a better word) un-dead..lol..and how can i give people ratings???
Before we start, I'd like to suggest that you read the Forum FAQ: just go back to the Novice and Newcomers screen. It will explain a lot.

1. Just pick whatever you'd like, some people always pick the same one, others pick one that is most relevant to their topic, or you can choose at random for each post.

2. Click the "My Profile" link at the top of the screen, click "View/Update Profile" and go down to the text box with a big 'OR' directly above it. Find yourself an avatar and enter the URL in that box. Also, if you explore the other text fields, you can provide others with information such as your occupation, location, AIM ID, and a three line (or less) quote of your choice to be displayed after every post (at your discression).

3A. One never becomes undead unless their membership is revoked (which is not a good thing). As you progress as a member of the Downs, you will sink to greater levels of death: Animated Skeleton, Wight, Shade of Carn Dum, and Ghost Prince of Cardolan. You can get your own personal title after five hundred posts, but more is said about that in the FAQ.

3B. To rate another member, click on the "rate member" link below their avatar. Then their profile will come up, and in the top right will be the rating scale from which you choose.

Note: I hope you enjoy the downs despite my dry post, and don't worry: there are much more interesting people here than I. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] However, most members (and all moderators) would ask that you refrain from using chat style language in your posts.

Welcome again,
Iarwain

P.S. Before you do anything, read the FAQ!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

P.P.S. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to private message me.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:06 AM   #294
Sulwen

Pipe

Thanks a lot Iarwain! You helped a lot. I have read the FAQ's..thanks for the suggestion. I hope I get the hang of this..I keep forgeting that I'm supposed to post in this thread. lol. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Well..g2g...talk to you later!
:-: Sulwen the Wind Maiden :-:

Old 09-29-2003, 01:43 PM   #295
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Greetings and salutations to all new members.
I hope you enjoy the friendlyness of the downs and the diversity of it's people.

If you're not a learned Tolkien fan right now, you soon will be. So go wild, and have fun. Hope to be seeing some new opinions and suggestions from all of you in posts to come.

-Be fit and have fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 09-29-2003, 02:41 PM   #296
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

When she says, 'you soon will be' no kidding. It's not an option...

Sulwen, of course it isn't bad to post before you introduce yourself - as the Barrow-Wight said on the first page, the Barrowdowns doesn't require you to introduce yourself. I never had an oficial newbie post on this sitee. Still, as you're here...welcome to the Downs! Gracious, how many elvish names do you have, you make it sound like you have reams! Sulwen - short, sensible, sweet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Becky - welcome, both to the Downs and to Lord of the Rings! As Ainaserkwen said, no doubt soon you'll be an expert. From being around lots of these people, you sort of...absorb it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Glad you like the site...theres something about the black, green and gold in this combination that is strangely addictive...surrender to the green-black goodness...

Vladivos - well, talk about a preliminary test period! Well, now you've stopped lurking [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], welcome to the Downs as a member this time!

She Nazgul - ah, a short and sweet post, I can see you and Burrahobbit getting along well...welcome, sweetie.

Jack...well, yes, the phrase 'just Jack', accompanied by suitable hand movements (come on, someone else has to watch Will And Grace!) is coming to mind [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Welcome, and its good to see you in the Green Dragon as well of late.

...and that brings me neatly to Elmirwen, to say, damn right it is! Look forward to seeing you around the RP forums!

Ah, Golden, modesty itself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] By the sounds of it, I'll be seeing plenty of you around the RPs as well, and twill be all the better for you, I have no doubt!

Yours,
Aman
Old 10-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #297
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Greetings All Newbies!

Welcome to Barrow Downs the land of the Barrow-wights and the dead! So enjoy being dead and I hope to get acquainted to some of you ;D

Enjoy

Niluial

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you need help!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:21 PM   #298
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new here and this is my first time posting, I'm not very computer literate (Eru help me!) but I love all things Tolkien. This is a great site and the members seem very cool so maybe I'll get up the courage and post replies more frequently. Thanks for letting me "expose" myself.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #299
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Lol, that made me smile. You remind me of me, andrea (like the way your name runs together...andrea-dawn, andreadan...ho hum). Welcome to the Downs, sweet.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #300
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Greetings andreadawn!
Don’t worry I am not a computer boffin either. But you learn to use it after a while and it is worth posting on Barrow-Downs for it is such a great site!

~Niluial
P.S. Sorry to go off topic but Amanaduial the archer I love your avatar!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:37 PM   #301
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Welcome to the Downs, andreadawn! And don't worry- I'm not great with computers either, and am sure lots of us here aren't. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Menelien
Old 10-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #302
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Thanks, Niluial.

Galadriel, on the address at the bottom of you sig, to make it a link you could go [ url=http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Utella ]Utella[/url ] or whatever. (Bar the space after the first '[' and the last ']'.) Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 PM   #303
Darth Mithrandir
Pile O'Bones

Darth Mithrandir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I guess many have read my locked greeting. I guess I'll do the polite thing here since I found the right button and say hello.

Just remember to check the doorways when you step through the portals. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 05:41 AM   #304
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Welcome to BD, Darth Mithrandir. We will all be wary. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Aman- I know, but then my sig'd be over the limit, and it's not worth deleting something already there.

-Menelien
Old 10-03-2003, 11:15 AM   #305
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

Hullo, I am kittygirl. I registered a while ago, but I messed something up when I first registered. I was formerly pinktux, but had never posted.(pinktux, via Relient K, an awesome band)Anyways, I had tried to reply to some of these topics,but the stupid thing wouldn't let me. Hello, again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #306
Beth the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Beth the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beth the Elf
Sting

Hi all!! I just joined the Barrowdowns today...I've been looking for a good LotR message board for a while.

But how do you get avatars? It looks like aim icons would be too small, so I'm wondering if there is a site or if you have to make em yourself
Old 10-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #307
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome, all newly-deadlings! Have fun on the 'Downs and don't be afraid to ask for help! Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Old 10-04-2003, 09:57 AM   #308
Imirie Edhel

Sting

Greetings!

I just signed up. I have been searching for a good Tolkien forum for ages, but I have found what I was searching for! I guess its time to start posting.

-Imirie Edhel

Old 10-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #309
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Jack...well, yes, the phrase 'just Jack', accompanied by suitable hand movements (come on, someone else has to watch Will And Grace!) is coming to mind . Welcome, and its good to see you in the Green Dragon as well of late.
I do!!

I never introduced myself either. Oh well...

Welcome, fellow dead objects!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #310
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I never had an oficial newbie post on this sitee.
Me neither. But I did have an 'introduction' time of about a year around here, maybe more, before I signed up.

Every newbie around here: Mae govannen. I hope you enjoy your time here. Enjoy being dead!

Navaer!

Aethelwine.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:38 PM   #311
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never had an official newbie post on this site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me neither. But I did have an 'introduction' time of about a year around here, maybe more, before I signed up.
Yeah, that sounds like me, too. I don't think anyone knew that I was new. Not that that's a bad thing.

To all you new corpses: Welcome, Mae govannen, Bienvenue, all that stuff. Enjoy your deaths!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:29 PM   #312
Rider

Tolkien

Haloo everybody! I just signed up about five minutes ago and I'm still figuring out what goes on and what to do. so, I'll need all your guys help [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I am a great lover of all things Tolkien, but since I am a huge movie buff I tend to lean more towards the movies. Hurrah for motion pictures!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] anyway, I'm not really sure what being a memeber does for you except lets you on the forum, so if there IS other benefits, please reply and let me know.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #313
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Eh, try 'posting', Rider [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Downs, Rider - a Rohirrim inspired name? If you're a member, you can join in with discussions on all things Tolkien, from the films to every one of the books Tolkien ever wrote, join in with the quizzes, not to mention various spoofs and jokes concerning the works, you can get to know the other members and let them get to know you, you can learn all manner of largely entirely useless information, and, of course, you can RPG!

So yeah, quite a bit then... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #314
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Rider! Hope you enjoy the Downs. I recommend Middle Earth Mayhem and The Shire (the beginners RPG section). Hope to see you around!

Elentari I, the Insane the otherwise Indigestible.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:00 PM   #315
Ithilienelf

Sting

Hello!
I'm Ithilienelf, because I er... like Ithilien. I've been coming to Barrowdowns for about a year but have just decided to join the forums. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Old 10-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #316
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Welcome, Ithilienelf! Enjoy thy death!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:24 PM   #317
mclainy_mouse

Tolkien

Hullo. Lėowen showed me this site, and it looked spiffy so I decided to join. So, here I am. Hi. Yeah...

Old 10-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #318
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Elentari! Welcome back! Maybe you were never truly gone, but goodness me, the Dragon has missed you...drop by for a pint, sweetie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mclainy_mouse - wow, I think this is the first time I've greeted a member when they were still up as the newest member [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. If you're a friend of Leowen, try looking on breeunderbreehill.com as well - she frequents that site as well. And Crickhollow...whose address I can't remember right now... Spiffy, huh? You need to meet Beren87 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Enjoy your stay here, may it be long and soulful.

Ithilienelf
Quote:
I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!
Goes both ways. Welcome to the Barrowdowns, Ithilienelf, if you really want to get to know people, you might like to look in the Barrowdowns section (near the bottom of the forum). Everything is there - everything! Well, nearly anyway...welcome!

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 10-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #319
Ugluk-120

Tolkien

Suilaid, friends of the downs, my name is Ugluk-120 master of all Urkhai. I came here to learn elvish and learn all I may need to know. I hope I shalt get to know thou all. Good tiding to you all, in Barrow Downs.
From,
Ugluk-120
Master of Urkhai

Old 10-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #320
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to all the new members, even if you haven't posted here ^_^' Glad to see ya!

Should I re-introduce myself after my brief visit to the living (I woul say dead... but I would just en up here again... Being the un-dead is fun) Ok... How many newbies did I just confuse?

I am Elentari I, Elf-Witch. I am a Spyder Slayer of Mirkwood, but before that I was a dragon hunter. <-- Elentari's my main RPG character for all those who don't know me... I tend to post in character most of the time. ^_^' I'm insane like that.

Elentari I, the insane and otherwise indigestable.

[EDIT]P.S. Please accept my appologies in advance for any spelling errors you see me write. The 'd' key doesn't work properly.

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Closed Thread