Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #161
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Perfect! I'll think about Mishka when I create my character. Maybe they can be friends or just acquaintances. I'll get in touch with you later.
Feel welcome. You can contact me via PMs and we can work something out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Ok, I have to say that you guys make me feel completely noob!
But, since I like sounding cool and alien, I'll get used to it
I'm sure you will. After all, what else is left to you
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #162
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I also thought perhaps we could meet Mishka and Seph's character as we reach the Shire, perhaps they could be friends and perhaps Rudy knows one of you. He could persuade us to bring them along, seeing as we have so many females, maybe Rudy would like more male company? If not we can have them or just one follow us, I am pretty much up for anything.

Lommy I just loved your last post!! That totally opens up alot for us. I will try and post today, having Bunny getting her clothes and supplies ready, then we can head off to see Peony. Kitanna will you be ready fairly soon to join our party, or at least for a few posts? We can talk with Peony, then arrange to pick her up say the following day. Then we can have Mira, Rudy and Hugo arrive as Bunny and Tansy return to Tansy's after meeting Peony.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #163
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Lommy I just loved your last post!!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
I will try and post today, having Bunny getting her clothes and supplies ready, then we can head off to see Peony. Kitanna will you be ready fairly soon to join our party, or at least for a few posts? We can talk with Peony, then arrange to pick her up say the following day. Then we can have Mira, Rudy and Hugo arrive as Bunny and Tansy return to Tansy's after meeting Peony.
Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
(Sephinroth was a hero from Dungeon, right?)
Yes and I always played with her and Dungeon... but this surely isn't the best place to discuss that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Ok, I have to say that you guys make me feel completely noob!
Don't worry, we're not all intellectuals who study dead languages...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #164
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Random Idea (feel free to disregard):

I don't know how interesting we want to make Sephiroth's character, but...he could be a burglar on the run from the shirrifs, making for the border; our traveling party could agree to shelter him, and pass him off as one of our friends from Buckland. In addition to being a very different way of bringing a new character into the gang, having a burglar in our midst would also be a good nod to The Hobbit.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #165
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I also thought perhaps we could meet Mishka and Seph's character as we reach the Shire, perhaps they could be friends and perhaps Rudy knows one of you. He could persuade us to bring them along, seeing as we have so many females, maybe Rudy would like more male company? If not we can have them or just one follow us, I am pretty much up for anything.
We'll see what me and mainly Sephiroth think of. Personally, I can imagine our characters even following the company for some time in secret.

I'd prefer not knowing anyone of the other characters, concerning myself, but maybe if Seph's character was that cousin or something, he could follow the company for some time and then curious Mishka will join him.

Or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor
I don't know how interesting we want to make Sephiroth's character, but...he could be a burglar on the run from the shirrifs, making for the border; our traveling party could agree to shelter him, and pass him off as one of our friends from Buckland. In addition to being a very different way of bringing a new character into the gang, having a burglar in our midst would also be a good nod to The Hobbit.
Well, I'd be indeed rather careful with any hobbit criminals (that's just very strange, given what we know about them). But it's not a bad idea, just needs to be handled with care. Anyway, if the criminal was to join, I'd say his joining together with Mishka would make more sense... Mishka is sort of naivistic, so if he persuaded him, he could take him with trust and they'll both join the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Don't worry, we're not all intellectuals who study dead languages...
That was just professional deformation But thank you

P.S. I just learned that Sephiroth can also mean just "numbers" in the plain sense
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #166
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

Sephiroth has just left Hobbiton.
Hello again, people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
We'll see what me and mainly Sephiroth think of. Personally, I can imagine our characters even following the company for some time in secret.
I've pmed Legate about some ideas I had today. I'm sorry I won't be able to post my character desc today, but I think tomorrow it will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, I'd be indeed rather careful with any hobbit criminals (that's just very strange, given what we know about them). But it's not a bad idea, just needs to be handled with care.
I think it's a good idea as well, but I didn't feel comfortable with it (mainly because I feared getting too much attention, something I really don't want in my first RPG). I'll stick with the idea of a hobbit who tries to convince everyone he's worse than he really is. Thanks anyway, Gwathagor
Old 11-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #167
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Welcome Sephiroth!

Quote:
Kitanna will you be ready fairly soon to join our party, or at least for a few posts? We can talk with Peony, then arrange to pick her up say the following day. Then we can have Mira, Rudy and Hugo arrive as Bunny and Tansy return to Tansy's after meeting Peony.
I'll be ready for my first post as soon as Bunny and Tansy are ready to come to Peony. I may make a short introduction post before they arrive, should time permit to do so.
Quote:
Is Peony's family known to be quite wealthy or something like that? I should have a reason for Tansy to suggest they might be able to provide fro the adventurers...
We could say Peony's family is well-off, not necessarily rich, but has enough means to help adventuring Hobbits.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #168
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I've posted, hope what I used Maylily for is ok Lommy. Now we can bring Peony into the picture...YAY!! Did you little family (sorry lol) want to write posts of the way to Tansy's or did you just want to have you arrived as we get back from Peony's?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #169
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

Sephiroth has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Foldo Grubb

Hello people,

Here I present you Foldo. I hope you like him
As always, I'm open to suggestions. I'll talk to Legate again so we can reach an agreement about when and how we'll be entering the story.

NAME: Foldo Grubb

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: an ebony staff and a long knife.

APPEARANCE: Black hair, very dark eyes. Foldo is slightly tall for a hobbit and fairly strong. He has deep, judging eyes and other hobbits usually tend to avoid his sight when he's irritated. He likes wearing dark clothes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Foldo has a strong personality and is very persuasive, but never managed to get any real friends (if asked, he would say he never wanted one). He always expects the worst; Foldo presumes everyone hates him and judges their actions by that perspective. He knows how to lie and how to spot a liar. He’s arrogant, smart and greedy too, but not bad in his heart. In his most profound thoughts he knows he will never be able to do something that could really harm someone, but he’ll never admit that, even to himself.

HISTORY: Foldo’s parents, Bolgo and Flora, are simple farmers living in Hobbitton. Just like pretty much everyone else they knew, they saw Foldo as rather alien. He never had any good friends, and even when he was young, he liked being alone with his thoughts. Foldo usually talks to other hobbits only to praise himself or to get some advantage of any kind (books, mushrooms, money, anything). What drives Foldo is not properly his goals, but the pleasure of getting them.

Now it’s impossible to determine which started first: Foldo mistreating other hobbits or other hobbits seeing him as unreliable. Either way, he still can talk his way out of most trouble he gets (mainly, from misleading other people). Foldo never had any real job in his life, but doesn’t depend on his parents; he gets the things he needs from small deals, selling for a good price what he gets for almost nothing. He does that by convincing everyone they’re getting a good deal - but, after all, the good deal is always his. All his business are nebulous to some extent, but no one has ever proved he stole or deceived another hobbit to a point that could be considered a crime.

Despite that, Foldo is not lazy. In fact, he’s proud he can live without working, even if his small deals take more time from him than if he really had an occupation.

Sometimes he travels through the Shire to accomplish his biggest trades. He likes that and, in those circumstances, he always takes his knife as precaution to any adversity.

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Character Bio added to PLAYERS/CHARACTERS LIST

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-23-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #170
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That is a very intriguing character description, Sephiroth! I look forward to the interaction.

Folks, I was thinking about editing my post to to some "telling" to simply get Hugo, Rudy, and Mira on the road to Brandy Hall, but I suppose we could actually just have one of us post the arrival of the three, assuming that all that detail stuff has occurred without actually "wasting ink" on it. What do you think?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #171
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

You could do that LMP, I think adding the "part there" in your post would be great.
Lommy did you want to post us going to Peony's or did you want me to? Either way is fine.

Shall we get the family to Buckland then wait for Boro before we continue with that part, or shall we go ahead a bit? I guess our posting with Peony will take up a few days RL, he is back Tuesday I think....should check..."checking" nope it was Sunday...more than enough time to get us back to Tansy's.

If we could I would like to get us to the point that on Monday we have us all ready to go if not all on the way. I have a Greycup party to go to on Sunday, but other than that I can post this weekend lots. Can everyone post these next few days?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #172
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I posted the little bit of traveling the three had to do to get to Peony's. I'll be around tomorrow, but I may not be around Sunday as I'll be on the road. After that, I'm good to go.

What time of year is it? What date on the Shire calendar?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #173
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
What time of year is it? What date on the Shire calendar?
It is the beginning of spring, around the end of April (our time) I'm not sure what that would be in Shire reckoning, anyone else know?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #174
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Depending on how late in April it is, it would be either the month of Astron or the month of Thrimidge.
See HERE.

~*~ Pio
Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #175
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
Depending on how late in April it is, it would be either the month of Astron or the month of Thrimidge.
See HERE.

~*~ Pio
If late April, that makes it one of the first 9 days of Thrimidge then. We ought to be specific because I could see our rpg calendar perhaps tending toward Midsummer's night (forelithe), and it would be good to be sure when that was to be.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #176
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Must apologize for my late absence. I will try to get a post up soon.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #177
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I'm not so sure about the Calendar so I trust that you LMP can take control of that aspect...

Sorry about not writing this weekend, but I was kinda hoping Lommy would bring us to Peony's but I guess I can do that. I will post a.s.a.p no later than tomorrow night if I can help it.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 AM   #178
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry I did not give that too much thought... if you still wish, I can do it, but if you prefer doing it by yourself, it's fine with me as well. So, whatever.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #179
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

If you could post Lommy and bring us to Peony's that would be super, since you know her it would be better I think if you brought us there. We can do a pm post and write it together if you like, or if you want to make it a short and sweet post getting us to Peony's we can get Kitanna involved faster and get us back quicker to meet the family, and get on our way.

I am super sorry for not being a diligent RPG owner, I swear we will make this RPG rock once we get it going.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #180
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'll write something tomorrow. If it seems at all like a PM post, it'd be great to write one - as long as the time zones don't prove to be too big a difficulty...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:01 AM   #181
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I'm not so sure about the Calendar so I trust that you LMP can take control of that aspect...

Sorry about not writing this weekend, but I was kinda hoping Lommy would bring us to Peony's but I guess I can do that. I will post a.s.a.p no later than tomorrow night if I can help it.
Okay, Day One of this rpg was 5 Thrimidge. The current Day is 6 Thrimidge.

(hee hee "three middles")
Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #182
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm a bit confused

So your little family is going/ has gone to Peony's place? Should Tansy and Bunny be there before or after them? Or am I talking silly things and LMP has just confusd Peony and Tansy? .............
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #183
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

On teaherbs and other things

It's really interesting to play someone who makes teas - you get to read your tea packages' ingredients -part with more thought. Speaking of which, Kitanna, if you want me to change the thistleflower to something else, just ask, and I'll edit.

I decided to write just a short post, because it was easier, but I definitely want to write at least one PM post with you Val during this RPG. I left the end of the post quite open, so Kitanna may post something about what happens in the Chubbs' house before Tansy and Bunny arrive.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #184
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

The thistleflower tea is just fine, Lommy. It also gives me something for Peony to making when Bunny and Tansy arrive.

Now that they have arrived I'll be getting my first post up before long. Hopefully later tonight or if not, tomorrow morning. I'll try to make it no later than that.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #185
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
So your little family is going/ has gone to Peony's place? Should Tansy and Bunny be there before or after them? Or am I talking silly things and LMP has just confusd Peony and Tansy? .............
The Chubbs are going to visit Peony. Does she live in Brandy Hall, or somewhere else?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #186
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
The Chubbs are going to visit Peony. Does she live in Brandy Hall, or somewhere else?
Did I miss something?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #187
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I don't know. Did you? What are you referring to?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #188
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Humph. I edited that post. I really did...

Mira had asked to go visit Tansy. It's fine if we go to Peony's, but it needs to be mentioned. Maybe since Hugo said we are stopping by Peony's, he decides to go there first? Just thought it should be added into one of your posts.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #189
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Ah, I'm sorry. I had forgotten that. I guess I was going by things said in the discussion thread that all would meet at Peony's. I can edit my post a little bit if needed.

EDIT: Okay, I've edited my last post with a line at the beginning saying that Gaffer Hugo suggested they stop at Peony's on the way to Tansy. Sorry about the confusion. Does this do enough?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #190
Kitanna
Child of the West

I've put up my first post. It's a bit short and it mostly introduces Peony and brings Bunny and Tansy to her home. I was thinking they could arrive first and then Rudy, Mira, and Hugo could come soon thereafter. However, if her three relatives want to arrive first I can just edit the last few paragraphs for that.

Also I never mentioned if Peony lived in Brandy Hall in my post, but I was thinking of having her family live close to Brandy Hall.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #191
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Do any of you have Journeys of Frodo by Barbara Strachey? It's an excellent map book, with great detailing of Buckland on Map 7. Map 50 gives a great depiction of all four Farthings of the Shire plus the road to the Grey Havens. It would be an awesome tool if enough of us have it.

I'm fine with Hugo, Mira and Rudy arriving later than Bunny and Tansy.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #192
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I'm afraid I don't have it, but I found the M.E Goggle map to be of some help. anyone good at judging walking distance?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #193
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Lommy if you could post next and have us interact with Peony, that would be great, perhaps bring us to the point of asking Peony if she would like to come, then we can have Kitanna answer, than we can bring in the Family as we are leaving Peony's? We can have a quick chat between the 3 of us where Mira having just arrived over hears, then Finduilas you can take it from there on how you want to ask or what not to come.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #194
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't have it, but I found the M.E Goggle map to be of some help. anyone good at judging walking distance?
map book should be a good help for any questions you might have regarding walking distances. I need a precise location for Peony's home first though.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #195
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Lommy if you could post next and have us interact with Peony, that would be great, perhaps bring us to the point of asking Peony if she would like to come, then we can have Kitanna answer, than we can bring in the Family as we are leaving Peony's? We can have a quick chat between the 3 of us where Mira having just arrived over hears, then Finduilas you can take it from there on how you want to ask or what not to come.
Sounds good. I even might be able to do that tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #196
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I've written most of the post, but I can't finish it as I have to ask Kitanna one thing first. Would it be ok if Tansy had dated Peony's older brother Hamfast (not maybe very seriously or for a very long time) in the past? I think it'd be quite funny.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #197
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I've written most of the post, but I can't finish it as I have to ask Kitanna one thing first. Would it be ok if Tansy had dated Peony's older brother Hamfast (not maybe very seriously or for a very long time) in the past? I think it'd be quite funny.
That would make for an interesting/funny few posts. Perhaps they could have a brief encounter with her brothers before taking off. After all Hamfast and Nick should be able see their relatives before the adventure is under way.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #198
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
That would make for an interesting/funny few posts. Perhaps they could have a brief encounter with her brothers before taking off. After all Hamfast and Nick should be able see their relatives before the adventure is under way.
Great. I will finish my post today or tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #199
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Just be sure you use period/locale-appropriate language...as in NOT the word "dating"...
Old 12-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #200
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Just be sure you use period/locale-appropriate language...as in NOT the word "dating"...
LOL! That is so funny. I had sped read the above posts, and hadn't read it dating, as in, what would be a little more correct, courting, but as if talking about Hamfast as if he were old (as in, that is a really dated item (at least I believe I've heard that terminology)). If you hadn't said that, I'd have been greatly confused.