The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #2041
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Having a nastry flu virus incubate in your body for nearly two weeks, then deciding to set up camp and throw a party in your stomach, nose, joints, and head on your workday...
I hate being ill, not only is it boring, but you always have an avalanche of work to do afterwards. Plus, finals are coming up.
Grrr!
Ugh. Seconded. This just happened to me this weekend. It almost knocked me out in the middle of my last class on Friday, so none of my weekend plans could happen, and I didn't get any work done at all. I'm going to have to ask for extensions on some of my assignments, now. *sigh*
Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #2042
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Chemical burns. Because you can't do a whole lot about them except pretend like they don't hurt and try not to let your coat sleeve rub your skin even rawer.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #2043
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
unbeatable colds!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #2044
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The fact that love is blind - when it concerns one of your oldest friends and a git of high order (control freak with no social skills) .... aieeeeeeeee ..it is like watching an accident unfurl and not being able to do anything about it because noone listens do they? So then the fact that love is blind, deaf and causes insanity...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #2045
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I second that. . . I lost a dear friend to "love"

Not that I refuse to see him or anything, but he sees no-one but her, he used to be a very social person with lots of friends and he have just the one.

I do not understand why. She does not treat him well, they are not dating anymore and because of her he started seeing a shrink.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #2046
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I second that. . . I lost a dear friend to "love"

Not that I refuse to see him or anything, but he sees no-one but her, he used to be a very social person with lots of friends and he have just the one.

I do not understand why. She does not treat him well, they are not dating anymore and because of her he started seeing a shrink.

Well I can't bear more evenings like last night I can tell you. Really quite unbelievable....

Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #2047
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
People who make me angry!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #2048
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Wisconsin basketball team. They just fell apart under pressure. I thought they were better than this, but apparently not.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #2049
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The ankle injury which is currently making me limp around like Brandir the Lame. It hurts.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #2050
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
The ankle injury which is currently making me limp around like Brandir the Lame. It hurts.
Hope it'll get better soon, dear. *hug*

I assign studying biology while being half-asleep. (So the solution? Go to the 'Downs. )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #2051
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
The thirteen-hour train journey that I am about to make tonight. Also the fact that it's the fourth time I've been home since I've started university and leaving is as hard as ever. And this annoying homesickness can go to Mordor as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #2052
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimturiel View Post
The thirteen-hour train journey that I am about to make tonight. Also the fact that it's the fourth time I've been home since I've started university and leaving is as hard as ever. And this annoying homesickness can go to Mordor as well.
Did I ever mention that I once was on a +40 hours bus-ride ?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #2053
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Ugh! Know that feeling all too well. Here's hoping that you recover soon, even if ankle injuries seem like they take forever to finally heal. My best wishes, no one should have to deal with ankle problems, and they definately belong in the deepest pits of Mordor.

~ Hoping Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #2054
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks. It's starting to get better now.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #2055
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
My alarm clock. If it weren't for its malfunctioning, I would be at a disc golf tourney right now.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #2056
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd like to assign those stupid songs for children sung by overly "happy" adults...seriously, why are you so happy to be singing about math? Or sharing? Or vehicles? Sober up! Learning is a necessary experience, not a fun one!

Only slightly less worse are the children who sing songs for children - they get one or two up-and-coming solo children to feature who you can just tell that their mothers tell them they're something sooooo special and that they have star quality every day. And that the kids themselves believe it and you can hear it in their smarmy self-absorbed voices. Singing about math.

And Saturday morning Christian radio station kid's programs - why on Earth do you cast some adult as the "stupid" child! You can TELL that it's an man doing a very stupid voice that anyone can do easily and possibly less annoyingly and less grown-man-making-more-than-I-do-sounding-like-an-idiot-ish! Cast a real child why don't you!

Also, I assign losing your place when trying to communicate a thought that may or may not be important.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #2057
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Forever leaving a castle you've called home for three months.

I'll miss it...
Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #2058
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign my computer, which has decided to no longer display all pictures shown on a web page....

....on the day Paper Telephone ended.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #2059
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Really stupidly annoying and pointlessly unhelpful people.

Especially those who require a 30 minute phone call in order to be informed that :

their letter threatening action if not paid by return has taken a fortnight to arrive

all but one of the invoices (and that one is only just overdue and hasn't been received anyway) have been paid

that the account is substantially in credit.

I wouldn't mind so much but it turned out that there have been half a dozen equally lengthy attempts to inform them that these invoices have been paid.

Oh yes - they added a late payment charge... So tempted to counterbill for my time on hold.

And I won't name names but this isn't some one man band company but a multinational market leader worth several billion ....

Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #2060
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
I assign my computer, which has decided to no longer display all pictures shown on a web page.
Seconded
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #2061
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Do you assign your own or co-assign my computer?
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #2062
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
their letter threatening action if not paid by return has taken a fortnight to arrive
Ugh, I hate that too!

I'll recieve a letter (or even recorded phone message!) after the due date of anything, though usually these are events I'm being asked to attend, etc. Then, I recieve a complaint about it.

I guess with things such as this universally, people have come to the concensus that there's a gigantic telepathic social network that only they seem to use, and shame on you for not noticing...

The older I become, the less I understand people. That I assign to Mordor too...

~ Now where's your professionalism? Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #2063
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Do you assign your own or co-assign my computer?
Both!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #2064
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign having too many things you either have to or want to do... gah.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 04-29-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #2065
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Money....or rather, the lack of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #2066
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

SATs revision which prevents your Downs-time
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2067
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Unhelpful train station people who seem to have made it their aim in life to make your journey as difficult as possible.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #2068
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1. The university library staff. I had to book a camcorder from them to shoot my short film, and I got permission from the Multimedia department and everything– and then when I got there on the day they said, "Wait, you were meant to get this other form signed that we didn't tell you about. Now all we can give you is this cheap little handycam. Sorry." Not only that, but they told me I could pick up the thing at 10 AM on Sunday– when, as it turns out, the library doesn't open until the afternoon!

2. The fact that I have such an overactive imagination that every time I go to the doctor/dentist/optometrist for a checkup, I start thinking that this time they're going to find I have a terrible, incurable disease and I'll wind up in one of those "please donate your blood/organs/bone marrow and give this poor dying girl a chance of life" ads. I'm that pathetic!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #2069
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I am very annoyed that the copy of Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era is too scratched to be copied on my computer. Why! Why!! Why the prog rock??
Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #2070
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You discover that one of the formative TV series of your childhood, Arthur of the Britons, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.thorp...hur/arthur.htm has just been released on DVD in a four disc set, & you grab the thing off Amazon & sit in front of the TV remembering the first time you saw it 36 years prevously,aged 12, having rushed home from school (no VHS in those days) in order to catch it.

And its just as good as you remember & you sit there with a big silly smile on your face...

So what is it about the experience that needs assigning to Mordor? You're looking up stuff about it on the web & discover that Michael Gothard, who played Arthur's foster brother Kai in the series (this is him - on the right on the DVD cover http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...roducts_id=575 committed suicide in 1992.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #2071
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Waking up to find that my beloved little cat died in the night. I'm so upset– he was the cutest little thing, and I don't even know why he died... he just wasted away overnight...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #2072
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am so sorry Nerwen. He sounds to have been "a very fine cat indeed"...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #2073
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

He was... and meanwhile his totally evil sister looks like she'll live forever. It just isn't fair.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #2074
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It isn't. It really isn't.... My cousin got brother and sister kittens and the tom is a handsome fellow and a nice enough cat but little Tiggy was absolutely adorable. And she was the one who got hit by a car.. even though her brother was the main instigator of mischief.

I hope I am wrong - but is it possible he was poisoned? He seems to have gone downhill very fast. Not necessarily deliberately - though alas some folk do hate cats so much but maybe he took a poisoned rodent?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #2075
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

No, I'd been keeping him inside because he had a sore on his leg– but it was healing up nicely. Then yesterday he was looking thin and seemed a bit sick, but nothing drastic– he wasn't feverish or anything– then he just died. It was weird. I've had old cats die that suddenly, but he was young.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #2076
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Poor kitty..... I am at a loss.... apart from the kitten that died of internal bleeding after a fight all my own cats have fortunately had near Numenorean spans before Anno Domini caught up with them.

So sorry, the only comfort I can offer is that I have observed that the houseless Fea of beloved cat haunt their old home.. for a while you catch sight of tails disappearing around doors....

Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #2077
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm so sorry to hear that, Nerwen.

Let me assign nasty pervs who take advantage of the fact that passengers are pressed closely against each other in public transport.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #2078
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Poor Lhuna - that is indeed most horrible ....

Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #2079
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Returning to your home country only to see the negative parts of it. Now that I've been to Europe, I find myself so much more unsatisfied with the United States.

Oh, reverse culture shock...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #2080
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Brinn - seconded. I felt the same way both times I came back to the US from Europe.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote