The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien Telepathic Communication in Middle-earth

Several scenes in LOTR show Maia and Elves using telepathic communication. Some passages even suggest that hobbits and humans could receive messages, if conditions were right.

Here's some random examples:

1. The best known is probably the incident at Amon Hen when Frodo heard the voice of the absent Gandalf warning him to remove the Ring.

2. Galadriel's mental probe of each Fellowship member:

Quote:
All of them, it seemed, had fared alike; and each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired: clear before his mind it lay, and to get it he had only to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others. The Mirror of Galadriel
3. Gandalf's explains to Frodo who is waking at Rivendell how he already knows certain things about the journey which Frodo had not even shared with the other hobbits:

Quote:
'You have talked long in your sleep, Frodo,' said Gandalf gently, 'and it has not been hard for me to read your mind and memory.'" "Many Meetings
4. Pippin's images as he is driven by the Orcs down the trail:

Quote:
Every now and again there came into his mind unbidden a vision of the keen face of Strider bending over a dark trail, and running, running, behind. "The Uruk-hai"
5. And, most poignant and striking, in "Many Partings":

Quote:
Soon Celeborn and Galadriel and their folk would turn eastward, and so pass by the Redhorn Gate and down the Dimrill Stair to the Silverlode and to their own country. They had journeyed thus far by the west-ways, for they had much to speak of with Elrond and with Gandalf, and here they lingered still in converse with their friends. Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If a wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred, and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.
I would appreciate some help in understanding these scenes and placing them in context. I have many questions about this.

Have you found other instances of this kind of communication in Tolkien's writings? Could Elves do the kind of long distance communication such as Gandalf did here? Is it possible that Aragorn, as someone with elven blood, could project an image to Pippin on the trail after their capture? How widespread was this kind of thing?

I do have a very vague memory from the Hobbit where the author comments that Elves were very good at getting news very quickly. If they could do this, I can see why this would be the case! Didn't Legolas sometimes stay up later than others in the Fellowship? What was he doing then?

Also, what about Pippin and Frodo receiving messages? What does this say about Hobbits? The Ring may have amplified Frodo's abilities, but it still would not account for Pippin's vision. It's interesting that both Hobbits were in dangerous situations when the messages came through.

These incidents also make me wonder about Saruman. If Gandalf could do this kind of thing, can't you assume Saruman would also possess this skill? Surely, he would have taken advantage of it. This makes me very suspicious about Saruman's ability to influence people with his voice which is discussed many times. Could there have been both a spoken and unspoken voice? This is especially compelling in the case of the Ents who let Saruman go, since Ents never make hasty decisions.

In general, can anyone help me understand this?

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-13-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Child, you sure do know how to pick 'em. That is you have a knack for starting unique, interesting, engrossing, and fascinating topics. Yeah, some redundancy there. Sorry.

The only other type of other instance I can think of are Frodo's dreams, for example in the house of Tom Bombadil, and other dreams. I would place dreams in the same category as Pippin's and Frodo's visions, because they were directly applicable to the circumstance of their adventures.

As to long distance communication among the Elves, I think not. There is no evidence for this in the story that I can think of. The closest one may come to it is when Frodo and Sam use the Phial of Galadriel in the lair of Shelob. When faced with the evil Spider herself, Frodo draws the Phial forth and calls out the name of Galadriel. One could imagine and hope that she heard that call, and maybe she did, but Tolkien does not say that she did. He does write for us that Frodo's boldness was renewed by the light and her name, such that Shelob actually quails and flees. I think that perhaps Galadriel may be an exception among the Elves because she has her Mirror and wears onf of the three Elven Rings and is the daughter of Finrod Felagund, one of the first Elves ever.

As for Pippin's momentary vision of Aragorn, I would personally characterize that as either a grace of Providence (using Tolkien's word from the story itself) or as close to psychic as Tolkien ever got. As I said, I think it's akin to dreams. Perhaps Pippin hoped and imagined, and because his imagining and hoping were closely akin to the reality, he was thereby able to perceive it. That's my best conjecture.

As far as Elves getting news quickly goes, I really don't think Tolkien had all kinds of Elves able to send their thought across leagues and leagues. Rather, there were the Eagles of Manwe - Gwaihir and others, who were allied to or at least friendly with the Elves.

If I recall correctly regarding Legolas, he could be awake and dream at the same time, and this dreaming partook of memories of ages past, for the Elves could retain memory in the whole rather than according to our human vagunesses.

As for Saruman, I think he went the way of Melkor and Sauron such that by expending so much of his spirit and might in building his little empire, he weakened himself permanently. As JRRT writes (I believe), Saruman retained an ability of persuasion but little else. Hope this helps a little.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:27 PM   #3
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Very interesting topic. I had always wondered about the scene you described in the last quote, the silent council and all. The only comment I can think to make at the moment is that Galadriel was a unique elf among the rest. She was an enchantress, or something to that effect, and could see into the hearts and minds of others with little effort. She was accounted among the Wise, which simply means that she was incredibly perceptive and had command of powers that few others possessed save perhaps the Maia and a few other elves (Elrond, Cirdan, Glorfindel come to mind). I don't believe that most elves had the ability to project their thoughts and ideas telepathically, or heart to heart would probably be a better way of putting it.

As for the other scenarios- the visions by the Hobbits and Saruman's abilities- I have no clue, but I'm really interested in finding out what others think.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:04 PM   #4
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Littlemanpoet -- Thanks for your speedy reply and perceptions about this. You make many good points, but I still think something is going on which is more than meets the eye, at least in certain instances.

How else can you explain the scene in "Many Partings" where Gandalf, Galadrel, Celeborn, and Elrond speak at length after the Hobbits have gone to sleep? Can this be understood any other way except telepathic communication?:

Quote:
For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.
This is one instance where I don't think a person could argue that it was just someone's subconscious thoughts influencing them, as might be true in some other scenes.

And if you agree that the above is telepathic communication, it opens the door to many possible questions about other incidents in the book, which perhaps may be construed more than one way. Perhaps only the Maia and the greatest of Elves could do this.

You admit the posibility that Pippin may have had a psychic experience of some kind, but isn't that exactly what mind-to-mind communication would be?

Interestingly, the example you mentioned about the Phial of Galadriel has another part to it, even earlier, which again sounds like an example of words coming from outside Frodo into his mind and then out of his mouth:

Quote:
Frodo gazed in wonder at this marvellous gift that he had so long carried, not guessing its full worth and potency. Seldom had he remembered it on the road until they came to Morgul Vale, and never had he used it for fear of its revealing light. "Aiya Earedil Elenion Ancalima!" he cried, and knew not what he had spoken; for it seemed that another voice spoke through his , clear, untroubled by the foul air of the pit.
A few lines down, the author tells us that the spider "had heard the Elves cry that cry far back in the deeps of time, and she had not heeded it and it did not daunt her now."

Can anyone translate this Elvish? My book does not. I assume it is referring to the mariner Earendil who was placed as a star in the sky, and that the phial itself reflected some of that light. Who placed these words in Frodo's mind and mouth? Earendil, Galadriel, the Valar, Frodo's subconscious.....? I am really lost here, but it could be a message that comes from outside of himself.

And, if Gandalf can chat with the Elves from mind to mind after the Ring is destroyed and send a warning long distance to Frodo at Amon Hen, surely Saruman would have similar powers, and why wouldn't he use them (i,e, abuse them!) to influence others?

Let me hasten to add that I have no background or particular interest in psychic manifestations in "real life", but the conversation between Gandalf and the Elves seemed like such a striking example. Undoubtedly a hobbit like Pippin or Frodo only had a tiny, latent piece of the skill of someone like Galadriel, Elrond, or Celeborn but couldn't that tiny piece be there and come out when they are in a very dangerous situation or, in the case of Frodo, when he is under the influence of the Ring.

Is there anything in the histories of Middle-earth which addresses this question, or other writings by Tolkien that I'm not aware of? sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-13-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
Lord Gothmog
Animated Skeleton

Lord Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To start with we have some points from the Silmarillion.
Quote:
Now men awoke and listened to Felagund as he harped and sang, and each thought that he was in some fair dream, until he saw that his fellows were awake also beside him; but they did not speak or stir while Felagund still played, because of the beauty of the music and the wonder of the song. Wisdom was in the words of the elven-King, and the harts grew wiser that hearkened to him; for the things of which he sang, of the making of Arda, and the bliss of Aman beyond the shadows of the Sea, came as clear visions before their eyes, and his Elvish speech was interpreted in each mind according to its measure.
from, Chapter 17: of The Coming of Men into the West.

And
Quote:
Now the Eldar were beyond all other peoples skilled in tongues; and Felagund discovered also that he could read in the minds of Men such thoughts as they wished to reveal in speech, so that their words were easily interpreted.
Same Chapter.

So the Elves seem to have shown this ability from the start. It would probably vary acording to the power and skill of each Elf.

As for the points raised in LotR
Quote:
1. The best known is probably the incident at Amon Hen when Frodo heard the voice of the absent Gandalf warning him to remove the Ring.
Gandalf was a Maia and at that point had returned more powerful in Middle-earth than he had been.

Quote:
2. Galadriel's mental probe of each Fellowship member:
Galadriel was a powerful Noldor who had come from Aman to Middle-earth so probably had a great deal of skill.

Quote:
3. Gandalf's explains to Frodo who is waking at Rivendell how he already knows certain things about the journey which Frodo had not even shared with the other hobbits:
Same answer as above.

Quote:
4. Pippin's images as he is driven by the Orcs down the trail:
This could have two answers. One is that either Aragorn or Legolas projected the image. Two is that there was no image projected but that it was a combonation of Pippin's memory of Aragorn and his Imagination giving him the idea that Aragorn would be following. He would not know of what happened after they were captured so it is only natural that he might think that the fellowship would follow them.

Quote:
5. And, most poignant and striking, in "Many Partings":
Again except for Celeborn and Elrond (who was trusted to hold one of the Elven rings so must have been quite powerful) the others have already been answered for. Celeborn lived in Doriath at the time when Thingol and Melian were King and Queen, so was among the fairest and most powerful of the Moriquendi.

I hope that this is of some use to you.
[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Greetings and Felicitations from the Lord of Balrogs!
Lord Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 05:58 PM   #6
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are several moments during Frodo and Sam's journey together when Sam says 'Galadriel' and his wishes come true as if he's been heard and answered. He yanks on the end of the elven rope during the climb down from the cliffs, and the knot comes loose, although he had, as he protests to Frodo, tied it securely and knew all about knots from his family. In Mordor, Sam says 'If I could see the Lady, I'd tell her ...' then wishes for light and water. Soon, the clouds are blown back and some light comes through, and they find water that somehow survived this sooty, barren desert, and he says 'if ever I see the Lady again, I'll tell her, light, and now water..' Then, as mentioned above, there are the elvish incantations that spring to their lips when they use the phial, as if someone is speaking through them.

All the wishes are small ones, granted through lucky weather and odd coincidence-- just how well DID Sam tie that knot? Anyway, it was an elf-rope with a certain light in it. A wish like, 'Galadriel! I wish Sauron the Dark Lord would up and die!' certainly wouldn't have worked.

Although I think there was more going on here, I do think Galadriel watched them in her mirror as far as she could, using the power of her ring. I'm not clear whether she could have seen into Mordor until after the quest was fulfilled-- probably not, if even Gandalf couldn't. It doesn't feel right anyway, it doesn't suit the story if Gandalf, Galadriel or Elrond could see Sam & Frodo while the quest was on and the spiritual pollution of Mordor obscured them. And I don't think Galadriel granted any prayers, though she may have encouraged their faithful elf-rope to unknot itsself. (I think she (the rope) should have a name! What's True-thread Un-knotter in Elvish? Quenya or Sindarin, both if you know them.)

However, I do think the Mordor prayers of Sam & Frodo were granted, by Manwe and Elbereth, who were following the quest even into Mordor using that famed sight of the Valar that Morgoth inflicted on poor Hurin. Gandalf mentioned it 'it is given to me to see things far off.' Every time Sam said 'Galadriel' in Morder, I think Elbereth heard, and took it upon herself to organize what small help she legitemately could, diverting the weather (even long beforehand, to produce that trickle of water) and speaking through them when they were desperate & open to it.

Trying to link this up to the Valar's limits from the Silmarillion: In general men/hobbits were not the Valar's business, but Sam and Frodo had a connection by their quest to mop up the Valar's loose end, namely, Sauron. Although the ways of men were hidden to the Valar in general, that connection gave them the ability to see & hear Frodo and Sam when invoked-- and Galadriel's name, I think, somehow reached Elbereth's ear by a convergence of meaning, as in 'white lady,' in Sam's and Frodo's minds. The phial's star shine must have enhanced that effect.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:22 PM   #7
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The matter of direct thought communication is discussed in Tolkien's essay "Osanwe-kenta", which appeared in one of the Vinyar Tengwars. I don't have the essay at hand, so I can't quote from it, but basicly it says that, if both parties open their minds willingly, thoughts can be shared between any two people. There are some obstacles, and problems, however, that prevent this from being done by Men (which I can't recall).
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
Ancalagon'sFire
Animated Skeleton

Ancalagon'sFire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One must not forget the use of the Palantirs as a method of telepathic communication.

Quote: These stones were gifts of the Eldar to Amandil, father of Elendil, for the comfort of the Faithful of Númenor in their dark days, when the Elves might come no longer to that land under the shadow of Sauron. They were called the Palantíri, those that watch from afar; but all those that were brought to Middle-earth long ago were lost.

Remember that Sauron used this to communicate his commands with Saruman, and with Pippin and wrestled with Aragorn. Though they had been used in the past for exactly this purpose, not solely as a seeing-stone.
Ancalagon'sFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:23 PM   #9
Nimrodel
Haunting Spirit

Nimrodel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Aiya Earedil Elenion Ancalima!" he cried
I looked this up is 6 Quenya dictionaries and ws able to translate most of it.

Aiya.......Oh!
Earedil....Not listed,I'm gonna assume it's a name
Elenion....Stars
Ancalima...Great light giver

That's my best shot for ya.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:02 PM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One other example I can think of where communication between minds occurs is when Frodo and Sam Journey to the Havens, where they find Gandalf, Galadriel, and Bilbo on the road and finish the journey with them.

Now I suppose you could argue that Frodo received a nice post from Rivendell saying: "Hey Frodo. We're going. Meet us at the docks at 6:00. Many Partings, Gandalf". But I like to think that Gandalf "knew" that the time had come for Frodo to stop struggling against his wounds and seek healing across the sea.

I had always presumed that the elves (and the Istari) could communicate mind to mind. There are so many examples in the books, which Child has sited above, particularly the "Silent Council".

I imagine also that Elves are unusually preceptive, as far as observing facial expressions, body language, etc. It would be rather hard to lie to an elf, even if they were not "mind readers".

As for Pippin's precognition: I had always put it down to "wishful thinking", so to speak, but now that you mention it, it's at the times of greatest stress sometimes that people can have such visions, so perhaps this is an example of Pippin tuning into the focused energy of a Ranger on the hunt.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 08:24 AM   #11
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

Following up on Aiwendil's comment, there are extracts from the Ósanwe-kenta essay and some related discussion in this old thread.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Tolkien

Thanks to everyone who is posting their thoughts on this thread. It looks like you've found many great examples that I want to look at more closely and get back on later, since I am racing around this morning trying to catch up with "real life."

Aiwendill & Mr. Underhill --

A special thanks for references to the other thread and to the writings by Tolkien printed in Vinyar Tengwar. It looks like Tolkien wrote an extended essay on this topic which I had never even heard of. And, from a quick glance at the thread, it seems likely that Elves could communicate like this over long distances. I must admit this is mindboggling to me.

Why wasn't this essay included as part of the history of Middle-earth? Was it simply overlooked?

The funny thing is that I am familir with Vinyar Tengwar. I recently joined the Mythopoeic Society and ordered a current subscription to this magazine which is put out by their Elvish language subgroup (it hasn't arrived yet). However, I didn't bother to look at the list of back issues on another web page and so totally missed this, as well as references to other "original" pieces by Tolkien (Elvish poems, prayers, etc.) that they have printed for the first time.

Anyways, I checked on the website, and found you could order the back issues for $2 each. I ordered these two plus several others that looked interesting. The pertinent ones on telepathy seem to be as follows:

www.elvish.org

#39, July 1998, "Osanwe-Kenta: Equiry into the Communication of Thought"
#41 July 2000, "Etymological Notes on the Osanwe-Kenta"

Again, thanks for this helpful lead.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-14-2002, 06:35 PM   #13
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The visions are different from the telepathic ability of the elves and I've always attributed them to minor interventions by Lorien. (the Vala, not the place) Afterall he is the master of dreams and visions.

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote