The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Most Embarassing BD moment

Have any of you guys had any really embarassing moments while here on the barrowdowns? You know, the one's where you just feel like posting an entire line or so of 's ? Tell us all about it here! (A few of mine are posted further down in the thread )

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 11-05-2004 at 10:47 AM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Shouldn't this be in the Barrowdowns forum? Seems a tad more appropriate methinks.

But anywho, I do have one (for now) of these moments to share. It was back in the day, on a cold and stormy night, when I made my worst ever decision on the Barrowdowns. I posted a thread concerning the family trees of selected members of the House of Finwe in which I asked a most ridiculous question, one which could easily have been answered had I only just read the chapter in the Silmarillion more closely. Worse still, it was in the Books forum.

I was promptly beaten with sticks and locked in an underground place of security for 3 weeks, with only water and cram to survive on. Nevertheless, it was worth the punishment as I have become a far smarter member of the site for it.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Eomer: I figured it could go in either place, but this:
Quote:
I was promptly beaten with sticks and locked in an underground place of security for 3 weeks, with only water and cram to survive on
is a good reason for it to go in Mirth .
One of my most embarassing (or unfortunate) moments was when my troublesome brother came on & decided to post that I had met Hugo Weaving, Viggo Mortensen, & others; & had gotten autographs of practically all the cast. Though I wish that was true, I had to spend almost a week explaining to all the people who wanted the details that I had not done any of the things that were mentioned. I promptly fed my brother to the Watcher in the nearby pond.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
My most embarrassing BD moment is far too embarrassing to point out. If ye look for it though, it's still there. With a second post about how embarrassed I am to have posted it. I'm a bit embarrassed by my first post, it consisting of "You guys are so funny! LOL!" Also the time I posted a new topic without thinking to see if it'd been posted already, and the B-W deleted it...
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Fea looks around for those whose wrath may still be fresh...

Dare I admit to the shame of it? I once... nay... twice!... resurrected a Balrog/Wing debate. I was very quickly shown the error of my ways. I then proceeded to make a valiant attempt to put a different spin on the debate (the worst reasons you've heard for peoples' beliefs, as opposed to the beliefs themselves) with a new thread, however... it didn't fly well with the posters. They promptly decided to ignore my rules of engagement and rehash all of the old arguements. I was, yet again, shown the error of my ways.

Fea

**EDIT**: Fordim: Balrogs have wings just as conclusively as Aragorn does. Wingfoot, remember.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 10-21-2004 at 07:27 AM. Reason: to not post an off-topic comment
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #6
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elennar Starfire
My most embarrassing BD moment is far too embarrassing to point out. If ye look for it though, it's still there.
Ditto.

*hangs head in shame*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

My most embarrassing moment was in the Books forum, when I asked if the Seven Names of Gondolin were actually written down somewhere. It turned out that they are - in The Book of Lost Tales 2, which I own and had read not a month earlier! It seems I had turned more than one page at some point and missed the section. I felt quite the fool.

Feanor: that pun was terrible. Careful, or I'll get my friend Roger the Redundant to WOAW you.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

My most embarassing moment would have to be my very first post on the Downs. I hadn't read the rules for the Quiz Room and posted a question without answering the last one. (I went back and deleted it later though)

I think that might have been why they locked me in this gorilla cage...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Dare I admit to the shame of it? I once... nay... twice!... resurrected a Balrog/Wing debate.
Now that is embarassing. . .particularly when the debate has been so firmly settled that they do, in fact, have wings!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

My most embarassing moment? I'd need to change that noun to a plural. I can't count the times I've embarassed myself on this site.

I mostly made stupid mistakes when I was a newbie, but I still do things that make me want to flog myself over the head and throw myself bodily into that "underground place of security" of Eomer's.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm, I must admit that I've made a few mistakes in the Quiz Room. Making stupid questions that there are no answers to, giving wrong answers (20 questions) etc.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe

Ah, great. Now i have to tell all. Well, ah, how do i say this? Everytime you see, when i post something, i always come in late or at the very end of the thread.(I have a job with unusual hours so, beare with me.) So, not everyone is on the forum at these times. I feel that i am "killing" the thread. because, i have to go back and read all the other posts, quote them because i will make no sense since i am sooo far away from their post, so i quote about six times. Then, two days later the thread is either put down or finally someone comes along and starts a new connecting post...

So, as you can see, i have to communicate over many voices. and i am rarely heard. Oh well, life suxs at times.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Poor Ka...*huggles*
Old 10-30-2004, 07:07 PM   #14
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Indeed. Poor Ka.

Hmm... So far I have taken care not to fall into any embarassing moments. Hooray for me! Unless, of course, you count the fact that I just recently got in on the RPG thing, and had no clear direction where I was taking my character. I've corrected that now, and thougt it out a bit more.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #15
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
The Eye

This is truly embarassing, and I haven't spoken about it until now, but oh well...might as well share it with you all.

It was on a dark and stormy night over two years ago. I was a young Barrowdowner then, a newbie, for it was only my second day on the site. I was very bored that night so I decided to create a new thread called, "Anyone want to chat?" I am sure by now you have seen the foolishness of my ways. Well, I was young and nieve and did not know any better. As soon as the barrowight saw what I had done he ran after me, picked me up and shook me like a dog, screaming, "Why did you do it!" He then threw me across the room and quickly closed the thread that I had just opened. Staring angirly at me he warned me never to do it again and stormed out of the room. Well, let's just say that I have certainly learned my lesson and have never again opened a thread without there being a good reason for its existence.

Well, that is my most embarrassing moment at at the Barrowdowns. Oh, my apologies to barrowight if I offended you. I have the upmost respect for you my good friend.

Cheerio!
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #16
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ugh, I've got several. Sometimes I'm very glad of the fact that nobody knows the woman behind the keyboard when Maeggaladiel posts.

My first trip to the Green Dragon was somewhat... disasterous. I had just read the Red Book and promised to follow all the rules. What was the first thing I posted? Paragraphs single-spaced, indented with the TAB key. I had my Private Messages turned off, so Pio had to explain things to the stupid newbie right there in the Inn. In addition to that, I godmodded somebody. I almost posted a fight scene, until I remembered that fights weren't allowed in the inn. ALL IN ONE POST. Lastly, I named a character in an RP a name from Silms, and I hadn't realized that it was a name from Silm until Pio came over and told me so. Then I made the character use magic that Tolkien wouldn't have written into his stories. Again, Pio had to have a chat with me. Wow. I'm surprised that Pio didn't kick me out after all I did to her beautiful Shire. I'm better at that now. I haven't done anything like that since those first horrible posts. I promise.

I've also created threads that already existed, bringing upon myself the terrible wrath of the BW. He's scary.

In addition, I was briefly involved with the infamous Elrond's Guestbook fiasco from a few years ago. *hides from angry mods who have tried to forget that particular thread*

*puts bag over head and leaves the Barrow Downs Confessional*
MAEG
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

My most embarassing moment happened just recently, I think. In my thread "Saruman's ending (PJ's way)." We were talking about how Legolas supposedly shoots Grima from off the top of Orthanc and kills him. In my moment of brainfarts I said, "anyway wouldn't Saruman pull a Gandalf and deflect Legolas' arrow." Luckily, SpM, caught this mistake, and said "Wasn't Saruman already dead, before Legolas shot the arrow?" I think I'll just edit that post, and say, Grima will catch the Arrow before it reaches him .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
The Eye

Hmmm. I think the time I started a thread on Archery. It was supposed to be a thread about Tolkien fandom and archery, and whether being a LOTR fan (or an elf-fancier) would make one more apt to take up archery, and then it was supposed to segue into how all those archers (I assumed there would be many) made their archery as elvish as humanly possible.

Unfortunately for my ego all that lovely correlation to Tolkien and his elves was in my head, and not in the opening post. I blandly and bumblingly opened with something like, "Hey, how many other archers do we have here on the Downs?"

The thread was immediately pounced on by several veterans as being completely and totally non-Tolkien related. I felt that I was being buried in an avalanche of laughter, indignation, and disgust from people I loved and respected-- who knew that I knew better.

What could I say? My opening post had given them no other options. I begged the Wight to delete the thread and save me further embarassment. He graciously did so.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-05-2004 at 09:10 AM. Reason: two more smilies.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I'm not the most proud of my first posts (first 10 actually) either. I came on at about midnight & immediately visited a thread in The Movies about 'inconsistencies' (mistakes). Unfortunately, I acted like a true newbie & didn't read the FAQ. Because of that, I did not know how to edit my posts, so I ended up copy-pasting things from pages back, quoting them, & then basically saying that somebody else's explaination was correct. Since I didn't know how to edit, somewhere in that thread there is a page with at least 10 posts in a row...all from me. And a few of those posts were just to address spelling errors! Fortunately, I recently tried to search for all of my posts to laugh at my oldest ones & it only had about the newest 500, so they can't be found the easy way. Besides, even if any diligent soul found them, they'd be so muddled with <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'s that they'd be barely readable (fortunately).

Edit: Oh wow. Now that I've gone back & read some of my earliest posts, they're even more embarassing than before!

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 11-05-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:57 PM   #20
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
My most embarassing BD moment? Ok, here it is:

I'm not all that fond of the Silmarillion. In fact, I find it rather boring and not terribly well-written. Barely managed to finish it.

Or is this more appropriate to thread devoted to our "most self-destructive BD moment"?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

There was that whole kilt fiasco which I enjoyed a little too much....
Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 PM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Kilts I remember... but a fiasco not..... but I thought of you when I saw the picture of the soldiers with badger sporrans and the queen.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

If we are going by embarrassment for other people's actions, Eomer, I would have to say that mine was when some tom-fool-of-a-newbie decided to chime in about me on 101 Things No Barrowdowner Would Say. "I'm droolin'. what's your age chick?" Completely inappropriate and not even particularly intelligent sounding. I was just embarrassed that the fool thought that sort of comment would be welcome on such a family-friendly site as this.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-18-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #24
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yeah, right, Fea. You know you were walking on air after that "tom-fool-of-a-newbie" said that. You're just embarrassed that you liked such an inappropriate comment.

You can't fool your fellow members. We know your type- seedy, sordid, squalid, and everything in between.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Ah, I do remember that....unpleasantness....

That was a general embarrassing moment for everyone, I think.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Or is this more appropriate to thread devoted to our "most self-destructive BD moment"?
Oh, please don't start one of those, Fordie. I'd have to completely dominate it.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:26 AM   #27
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
I'm not all that fond of the Silmarillion.
Ack!!
Quote:
In fact, I find it rather boring and not terribly well-written. Barely managed to finish it.

You leave me no choice...

I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no colour now, and I cast you from the order and from the Barrow-Downs.

Fordim Hedgethistle, your staff is broken!!

Old 11-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #28
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Sorry to frodo fans...

My biggest embarassment? Just a minute ago when spelt Frodo ---> fordo in the LOTR Astrology project. I don't think i will edit it. Just for my amusement.

Don't know why but, it's a funny one!!!

*Ka snikkers

~Yet another Annoying Ka post~
Old 11-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #29
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Ah, I do remember that....unpleasantness....

That was a general embarrassing moment for everyone, I think.
I Laughed.

Don't worry, I knew you didn't mean to say it in that way Fea. I really think it is the people who think of it that way as being sick...

besides that, I missed it the first time. So, you have one un-believer.

~Compassionate Ka~

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-14-2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Punctuation...again.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 PM   #30
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
Indeed. Poor Ka.

Hmm... So far I have taken care not to fall into any embarassing moments. Hooray for me! Unless, of course, you count the fact that I just recently got in on the RPG thing, and had no clear direction where I was taking my character. I've corrected that now, and thougt it out a bit more.
Ah. i absolutely hate RPG... Same as on here, i come in too late. Plus i get lost, then people dich me in the middle of no where. Then someone might come along, but they slowly walk away because i'm soo bored that i'm talking to myself... Usually telling myself off for being such a dunce. Then i am kicked out for awhile. At least it gives me time to try to come in on time for RPG...

Thanks for your concern. It really helps.

~Thankful half-jack Ka~
Old 11-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #31
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Now that is embarassing. . .particularly when the debate has been so firmly settled that they do, in fact, have wings!
HAH! So i have been right all along...

whoever knew?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #32
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
some tom-fool-of-a-newbie decided to chime in about me on How Do You Imagine Other Downers. "I'm droolin'. what's your age chick?"
Wow, somehow I managed to miss seeing that. Though from the sounds of it I guess I should be thankful.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #33
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

This one time I said "who" when I should've said "whom".

That was so embarrassing... I didn't post for days.

But then I thought "Boy, I'm really being stupid about this- I can just edit my post."

Yeah, I forgot about the edit option. That was embarrassing too.

But no one even noticed.

And actually, that's kind of embarrassing.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #34
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Wow, somehow I managed to miss seeing that. Though from the sounds of it I guess I should be thankful.
Quote:
besides that, I missed it the first time. So, you have one un-believer.
Perhaps you missed it because I sited the wrong thread! How embarassing. But all has been duly edited, and YES, I am aware already that I have paraphrased the correct title.

Fea
Old 01-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #35
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Too good to let go... :)

Embarassing moments. Ah, yes, I have an abundance of those. My first blunder was as a newbie, maybe my first week on the Downs. It was in the "LotR Dreams" thread and I posted about having dreamt about an actor and that he was "mm mm good." Gah! I shudder at the memory! I must be cleansed!

Another was in the Shire RPG forum. I created a character with a completely unlikely past and when I applied for an RPG I was berated (albeit kindly) about proper characters and realistic histories. I promptly ditched that character and created a better one. Ah, memories...they burn!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #36
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
hello...i'm .....err is this mic on? hello... i'm Gil-Galad...or as the ladies like to call me, hey you behind those bushes... well my most embarrassing moent would be me getting really imaptient on a quiz room thread.... posting like 4 times after my anwser....oh Eru was it humiliating...
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #37
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
I once had to bow out completely ungraciously of the Tolkien's Letters thread in the quiz room. I solved a few anagrams, but every time I tried to write new ones I added extra letters or left out important ones. This must have happened five or six times in two weeks. I'm very careful about anagrams now .

My first RPing experiences were pretty bad too. I believe my first character was a Rohirrim woman who carried a sword, was half Gondorian, and had fled to the Shire because she was running away from the dark memories of her haunted past. She could almost have been a character in the Entish Bow .

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #38
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Oh dear...I was flipping through some old threads and reading my old posts...I was a monster!

Another embarassing BD moment was when I posted a thread asking about a certain event in a movie and why it was so, but then when I watched the movie again the reason was obvious. I was lucky, though, because nobody caught it and now, being unspecific, nobody will catch it again! Haha! Why am I so clever?...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #39
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought this dude was a girl, more embarrassing for him than me, though.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #40
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
I think it's best never to assume the gender of a fellow Downer if they have not been specific. You'd be amazed people...

Do you ever go read your oldest posts and cringe? I'm embarrased about being so open about certain infatuations on this forum way back when I first joined. No wonder no one talked to me...
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote