The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2002, 08:28 PM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting friendship challenges

Hi all,

One of the things I like best about Fellowship Of The Ring is that it has made me think through the concepts of friendship, loyalty, dedication; but mostly, friendship. So I wanted to ask: what part of the movie, depicting friendship or loyalty or dedication to somebody else, did you find most challenging, or most inspiring?

I think Merry and Pippin jumping in front of the Orcs and waving their arms is one good example. "It's working." I know it's working, RUN!"

Another example is Sam plowing into the Anduin river after Frodo, knowing that he'll go under but he keeps going anyway.

What's your favorite?

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-13-2005 at 09:04 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Heh, you just said my two favorites! <P>I love Sam's loyalty and Merry and Pippin's bravery. All three hobbits were willing to make some great sacrifices for their friend, Frodo.<P>Merry and Pippin knew they'd likely get caught or worse and they were willing to do it anyway. Sam nearly drowned for his virtures; he knows what's coming after they get to Mordor will be terrible, but he also knows that Frodo won't be able to make it on his own. That's true friendship; risking, or even losing, life and/or limb for the sake of your friends. (Jesus did the same for us, even before we were His "friends".)
Old 02-08-2002, 11:41 PM   #3
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's friendship with the hobbits, in particular Bilbo and Frodo. Here's this mighty servant of the Valar, who appreciates and admires the qualities of a simple people that the world has mostly forgotten. <P>Of course, you could argue that the friendship was "destined to be" considering the role that the hobbits would later play, but still, I like to think he liked them for themselves, too. <P>Good ol' Gandalf...
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:10 AM   #4
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam's legendary love of Frodo would have to be high on the list. Gandalf going into a battle with the Balrog that he knew he might not win is another act of sacrife and deep love not only for his friends but really the whole of Middle Earth - the ring had to continue on it's quest.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:32 AM   #5
Rayne

Silmaril

i liked Gandalf's friendship with the hobbits and the hobbits' friednship with each other a lot. but what about Strider's loyalty and friendship with Frodo? whenever Frodo's in trouble Strider is the first one he calls for for help. and Strider always does anything and everything in his power to get to Frodo despite everything else that may be trying to hack his head off.<P>and what about Boromir's new found loyalty to Strider at the Anduin? and his friendship with Merry and Pippin? it may not have been all that obvious in the film but if you look hard enough, Boromir always stuck with those two or was most concerned for those two until he eventually died to save them. that's loyalty and friendship if i've ever seen it.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:12 AM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Adding to the good ones already posted, another is when Frodo was speared by the cave Troll in Moria, Merry and Pippin jumped on the back of it and tried to stab it. (I could swear that when they were luring the orcs away so Frodo could make his escape that Merry flipped the bird at the orcs!) <P>Frodo's resolving to go on by himself, so the ring could not lure the rest of the fellowship, as it had Boromir. <P>And when Legolas pulls Gimli up by the beard and gets him onto the other part of the stairs. It will be interseting to see that friendship develop in TTT.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:11 AM   #7
Rayne

Silmaril

hey Elrian, what did you mean by 'he flipped the bird at the orcs'?<BR>and lets hope that we actually get to see the Legolas/Gimli friendship period. we were supposed to know already that they were really good friends since, what, Lothlorien? and all we saw was the beard thing you mentioned and that they were in the same boat. but i really hope we get to see their friendship grow in TTT
Old 02-09-2002, 03:15 AM   #8
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I have always liked Gimili and Legolas's freindship. Legolas was willing to travel into caves for Gimili, and Gimili was willing to travel in the forest for Legolas. And Gimili (Maybe, Im not sure) even sailed with Legolas. <P>Keeping it vague for people who has yet to see what happens in the movies or to read whats in the books.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:37 AM   #9
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rayne:<BR><STRONG>hey Elrian, what did you mean by 'he flipped the bird at the orcs'?<BR>and lets hope that we actually get to see the Legolas/Gimli friendship period. we were supposed to know already that they were really good friends since, what, Lothlorien? and all we saw was the beard thing you mentioned and that they were in the same boat. but i really hope we get to see their friendship grow in TTT</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Since this was posted in the movie forum and the posts were on parts in the movie, I stayed with the movie theme, those of us who have read the books already know the friendship between Legolas and Gimli begins in Lothlorien. <P>Flipping the bird is a finger sign using the center finger!
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Good point about this being the movie section of the forum...maybe I should re-post the topic in the books section, anybody else think I should?
Old 02-09-2002, 01:32 PM   #11
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

it works in either section, you could put it in both and see how the responses differ <P>For me the film really showed Merry and Pippin's friendship, they did everything together. The same could be said of Frodo and Sam, but it brought it home when Gandalf fell into shadow, Merry was holding Pippin while the others tended to single off. Even when they showed their love for others, it was together.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:06 PM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All the parts you named I like espesially Sam, Pippin, and Merry's sacrifices for Frodo. I also like when Frodo is with Bilbo in Rivendell. Thats very touching after Bilbo is tempted by the ring.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #13
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'm getting all teary-eyed over here! (Seriously, I am! These scenes all made me nearly cry in the theatre and I'm close to doing so now...)<P>I didn't know Merry and Pippin were holding each other after Gandalf fell. I thought that was Frodo and Sam...Eh, my mistake (it happens when you can't see people's faces). If anyone could find a picture of that, I would be very grateful.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> that Merry flipped the bird at the orcs!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, the "impudent finger" has at least been around since the days of Rome... I guess it's older than we thought...
Old 02-10-2002, 03:47 AM   #14
J.Wolfe

Shield

I'm a long time reader first time poster and this question actually made want to register in order to reply. The part of the movie that most stood out was when Boromir was teaching Pippin and Merry swordsmanship. As much as my memory serves me, that was the first time that Boromir was given a chance to appear "good". I feel that I am a minority with my liking towards Boromir. Of course that's another thread all its own. Lets see what else did I like? Not really much I can add, since you people have alraedy brought it up.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:53 AM   #15
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah. I'd echo most of what has been said here. I am not terribly fond of Boromir in the book, but Sean Bean brought him to life.<P>The friendship and sacrifice theme is one of the dominant ones in both the movie and the book, for sure.<P>In the scene after Gandalf falls, Pippin is being held by Merry; Gimli is being held by Boromir; Aragorn, Legolas are alone, as is Frodo, who has walked off away from everyone.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:07 PM   #16
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by mark12_30:<BR><STRONG><BR>Another example is Sam plowing into the Anduin river after Frodo, knowing that he'll go under but he keeps going anyway. <P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That bit almost made me cry coz of sam's determination to help his friend

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:55 PM   #17
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What got to me was when Gandalf fell, Aragorn grabs Frodo up, as Frodo is reaching back, calling for Gandalf and trying to go to him. <P>Me and sister both crying, brother giving us "the look".
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #18
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh, I'd forgotten about that! (Frodo's screaming always got to me.) First time I saw the film, my jaw dropped and I was struggling not to cry because I didn't want to cry in front of the guy that went with me.<P>The other thing that got me was Merry and Pippin yelling and running at the Uruk-hai after Boromir was felled. I was talking to a friend over the phone about the end of the movie and I actually said something to the effect of: "And those poor hobbits! Did you hear them screaming?..." It so made me want to cry.<P>When the movie ended, I said to my friend: "I wanna cry now!"
Old 02-10-2002, 05:59 PM   #19
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Did your friend do this?<P> <P> <P>I've had tears streaming down my face numerous times watching this movie, and I am a great big 41 year old man. If anyone ever called me a wuss, I'd put their lights out... <P><BR>Yeah, Merry and Pip getting carried off by the Uruk-Hai, with Boromir on his knees with those 3 big black arrows in him. Interesting thing is, they are almost screaming in harmony.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:14 PM   #20
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yark and forsooth, Glenethor! Welcome to the 'Downs!<P>He probably did do that, but I can't even see facial expressions in broad daylight, let alone at midnight in a dark-ish movie theatre.<P>I wanna see it again! NOW!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 03:14 AM   #21
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What was the most overwhelming friendship scene?? <P>In my mind, the death of Boorimir stood out the most. I could tell that he loved Pippin and Merry. He was with them the most. He gave his life for theirs. Even though he was played as a bad character most of the film, he was not. I loved his character in the movie and throughout the book. <P>The other scenes that were mentioned here also stand out. I could tell that Frodo really loved Gandalf, probably more than the others in the Fellowship. I feel that if Aragorn hadn't held him back, Frodo would have jumped after him in hopes of saving him somehow.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:39 AM   #22
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

On Frodo and Gandalf: I thin Gandalf was a big sense of security for Frodo. When the wizard was around, he felt safe. So when Gandalf fell, it was very hard for Frodo because he lost both a dear friend and the one person he was truely secure with. Gandalf was a pillar of strength to the little guy. *sniffle*
Old 02-17-2002, 03:17 PM   #23
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

hey, this is a topic i was talking to my friend about the other day actually, so its appropriote that its here 2 comment on now! lol. thank u mark. <P>anyway, i find the friendship of frodo and sam the most inspiring. And the reason for this is that i think the ideal friend would be Sam. Someone who would risk absoloutely everything they had for you: their families, friends- their Lives for you. I think its one of the most touching sides of the book, and i would give anything to have sam for my friend!! However, since he is fiction then i hope i am as good as I can be at being a sam MYSELF. <P>and that was my new years resoultion: be a sam. :-) anyone else feel the same?
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:22 PM   #24
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

oh, and forgot to say. Rosa i felt the same: however at the end of the film i WAS crying. it made so emotional seeing merry and pip trying to do what they could 4 their friend. and i cant remember who said it, but it is true and Boromir; they made him seem more sinister than he really was. I got tears in my eyes when he came running up to help them, and i was crying even as the film ended after seeing his dying scene. It was so touching how he called Aragorn his brother/leader/kind....<P>people have me funny looks on the way out the cinema because my mascara was all smeared down my face! luckily my mum had a tissue and it was dark walking home!!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #25
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>anyone else feel the same? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Heh, see my signature. <P>And I have to share this pic. Sure, everyone may think the RotK cartoon stunk, but everytime I see this it just makes me want to cry.<P><BR>
Old 02-17-2002, 11:48 PM   #26
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hey! Stupid machine! *looks at hammer wistfully* It didn't put up the pic! Sorry, I'm going to try it once more, then if it doesn't work and your curious, just private message or e-mail me.<P>
Old 02-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #27
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

there was a cartoon of return of the king? lol that hobbit picture is so funny!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:22 PM   #28
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yep! It's by Rankin/Bass (of "The Hobbit" and "The Last Unicorn" fame). I have offically decided that, though everyone declares that Rankin/Bass stink, I love their work! (I was attacked by nostalgia last night.)
Old 02-19-2002, 12:13 AM   #29
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I would have to say that some of my favorite courage/friendship scenes are as follows...<BR>1.) When the Orcs come to Weathertop & Sam yells, "Back you devils"<BR>2.) When Frodo is, yet again, stabbed in Moria, & Pippin & Merry jump on the Troll in revenge.<BR>3.) When Legolas saves both Boromir and Gimli from falling in Moria.<BR>4.) When Boromir gives his life to try to save Merry and Pippin<BR>5.) When Sam nearly drowns to join Frodo (tear jerker - can't wait to see how much I'll want to cry in the second and third ones)<BR>PS<BR>I hope my sig pictures comes out!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:21 AM   #30
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

(My heartfelt wail of "Oh!" when I saw that pic brought my dog over to the computer.)<P>Where did you get that pic, Tigerlily?! Oh, I loved that scene! *wipes tear from eye*
Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #31
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

It's an oldie, but I thought I'd "bump" this thread and add the second and third movies for discussion.

TTT: "Leave him alone, Laddie. Let him be."

TTT: Legolas' silent return of Arwen's necklace to Aragorn. Nice touch.

ROTK: Sam's refusal to be sent home, though non-canonical, was still a good expression of stubborn loyalty.

RotK: "Courage, Merry. Courage for our friends."

RotK: "Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?" Nice line, nice segue.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:38 AM   #32
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Good ones, Helen.

Boromir's swordsfighting tutorials for the hobbits has been already mentioned. So was his death, with Merry and Pippin screaming in vain. But who could have forgotten his final conversation with Aragorn, right before he died? The words he uttered were not only for a comrade, a brother, a captain, or a king...but also for a friend.

TTT:

Legolas looking over the cliff after Aragorn fell, and the bewildered look in his eyes when Theoden said, "Leave the dead."

"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"
"Hehehe."

RotK:

"I never imagined fighting alongside an Elf."
"How about fighting alongside a friend?"

*scattered sniffles*

Now that I look at it, the friendship between Gimli and Legolas stood out the most for me. After all, this one is out of the ordinary. Such can be expected from the hobbits, but not from two individuals whose races had a longstanding disagreement. It's amazing how adversities can change people.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #33
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Love, love, love, bum bum bum. It's easy. I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. This love is all around me and so the feeling grows....oh sorry..little show stopper there.

FOTR:

Frodo: "Sam we're still in the shire what could possibly happen?"
(POW)
Pippin:" Oh Frodo! Merry, it's Frodo Baggins!"
Merry: "Hello Frodo!" (so happy to see each other)

Sam: "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee! And I don't mean to...I don't mean to."

Arwen: "I would rather spend one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone."

The part where boromir is about to fall from the arrows of the Uruk-hai and Pippin and merry stand there in astonishment then let out these mournful cries for their friend and head straight into the running Uruk-hai.

I've got more. Many more....
Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #34
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Pippen searching for hours amidst the dead and dying for Merry after the Battle in RotK.

"I knew you'd find me."

*sniff*