The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2001, 11:01 AM   #1
Dmitry

Ring The mysterious citation.

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Ladies and Gentlemen!

I have a little bit unusual question. I have found out the interesting citation in archives of one of FIDO-net echo-conferences, that is devoted to problems of books by J.R.R. Tolkien. Unfortunately, the exact sourse of the citation was not called there. The supposition that the sourse is one of the letters of JRRT was only made. But in the &quot;Letters&quot; I have not found the citation.

Has somebody saw the citation before? What is it? Is it really the citation from the letter by JRRT, which was not included in the &quot;Letters&quot;, but was published somewhere else? Or is it imagination of the author of any manual on Middle-earth? Or is it a fragment of some Roling Play Game Rules? Or something else? (I don`t believe it is a joke.)

I understand, that my question is of that sort &quot;Go there, I don`t know where, bring that, I don`t know, what&quot;. But may be somebody can help me. Here the citation:

=====
&quot;...Female orcs are similar to males, and they often go to war with orc bands. Because they are shorter and thinner, most of them are snaga. Neither human nor orc from different tribe can distinguish them. Some of them carry children in backpacks. When orc with child is slain, other orcs kill child. [...] Littles were often given to elves, and became elves themselves. But they have instinktive hatred to orcs, and elves could do nothing with it. [...]&quot;
=====

Sincerely yours,
Dmitry.

</p>
Old 09-13-2001, 02:03 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
Re: The mysterious citation.

Unless it comes from Merp, which was mostly fabricated anyway, your quote sounds like something which someone made up and attributed to JRRT. Nothing like that is in Letters or any HoME volume which I have read.

By the way, welcome to the Barrow Downs.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000004>Mithadan </A> at: 9/13/01 4:04:51 pm
Old 09-13-2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Valros Barazhor
Animated Skeleton

Valros Barazhor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton

Yeah, that is a MERP quote in one of the modules.
I play the game but, don't hold that against me. I am always arguing with my brother, who runs the game, over what Tolkien wrote and what's in the game supplements.
Cheers,
and Welcome!

</p>
Valros Barazhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 09:00 AM   #4
Dmitry

Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased

Thank you very much indeed for the consultation.

MERP is &quot;Middle-earth role play&quot;, isn`t it? Is MERP published book? I need for exact reference to the book with bibliographic description and number of the page when the citation is locate.

Sincerely yours,
Dmitry.

</p>