The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Feanor's skill

Feanor's skill was said to be greatest among elves-but how about other races of beings? Does anyone disagree with Feanor having the greatest skill of all non-divine beings?

(You'll have to forgive my post riding-im in college and returning after a long absense)
Old 06-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, the elves had the most skill out of all the races. (We could have a long discussion here people. Let's not!) So yes, i think that Feanor was the most gifted of all the Children of Iluvatar... and children of Melkor... and Aule... and hobbits.

Now theres a question! Were hobbits children of Iluvatar?

Welcome back, War Bringer.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
WarBringer
Wight

Sting

thats a tough one- i personally dont think so, although maybe there was once a union between men and dwarfs...
Old 06-02-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
Were hobbits children of Iluvatar?
No, and neither were the Dwarves. Only those races, being Men and Elves, conceived by Illuvatar alone are counted among his Children.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Were hobbits children of Iluvatar?
Yes. Hobbits are men.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
Yes. Hobbits are men.
They're closely related, but can a species that (I'm going to say evolved, don't yell at me) evolved really be considered the same species? We might have to say primates are the Children of Illuvatar if we're doing that.

They were created in the first age, but not conceived in the third theme, which is really the criteria of a Child of Illuvatar.

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Old 06-02-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I think the word species is a bit too narrow for the question. I don't know if I'm getting at inferring the use of the word genus, or anything... honestly, I've been away from any biology texts for too long to infer such a thing. I do think however, that hobbits would have to be counted as men. The differences between men and hobbits aren't as far off as those separating say a Numenorien from a (and forgive my diction) "lesser man" of Middle Earth. And without trying to throw the race card into this, I see the difference as being similar to that of being a Scotsman versus being from China. Maybe more appropriately, a Haradrim versus a farmer in Rohan.

And, although I did see the warning against such a post, I think it would be quite a nice... umm... debate, on whether or not the dwarves were better craftsmen than Feanor was. I personally don't think so, but there may be some Gimli fans out there who could bring up some very swaying evidence - the Nauglamir, for example.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
The differences between men and hobbits aren't as far off as those separating say a Numenorien from a (and forgive my diction) "lesser man" of Middle Earth
But Hobbits aren't the ideal of Illuvatar as listed in the third theme. Oh well, you're all probably right, but it bothers me.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
Scott
Wight

Tolkien

But Beren, aren't Hobbits the ideal creatures Iluvatar would have wanted to make?

Just a question... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People! We're getting off the subject! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Feanor? He probably is the most gifted of the Children of Illuvatar. I don't include dwarves in that, or hobbits. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Though maybe someone has been born who is probably more gifted than him... either Elf or Human... I think it's possible.
I really wish Tolkien had stated whether hobbits are Eru's children or not...
Old 06-03-2003, 11:21 AM   #11
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Still difficult though. The Nauglimir made by the Naugrim, was made all by themselve, while the Silmarill's contained the light of the two trees of Valinor. So he had something that was not purely his.

So what I wonder is: If Ungoliant would not have killed of those trees, would the juwels of Fëanor be as special as after the death of the trees? Was it possible that other juwels like these were made if the light was kept save?

Suilad,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
WarBringer
Wight

Sting

I dont think that is possible, because in the Simarillion Tolkein says that nothing like the Silmarills will ever again be made.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:53 AM   #13
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Yes, but no one could remake them since the light that they held was destroyed by Ungoliant. So that is easy talking.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:05 AM   #14
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that Feanor was greater than Aule as he was Valar. Therefore he would have all the knowledge from Eru's mind concerning the materials of ME.
But certainly Feanor was the greatest in skill of all the children of Illuvatar and his adopted children.

Although the Dwarves i think were stil better craftsmen than any of the Noldor (except Feanor of course)as they were the children of Aule and would therefore have been taught as much of the knowledge that he was allowed to give.

If the Elves were the greatest of the Children of Illuvatar, what were men better than Elves at. As far as i know, the only thing that Men had that Elves didn't was their ability to control their own fate and not Tarry in the Halls of Mandos but escape beyond the world. Is there anything that Men especially the Numenorians that non of the Elves could beat them at.
It can't be sailing surely as the Teleri would beat them. Crafting = Noldor beat them
Wisdom & Song = Vanyar
Old 06-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #15
Scott
Wight

Tolkien

I would think that the fact that the race of men weren't bound to their world forever was the greatest gift, or one up so to speak, that they could have over the elves. One might also say that the spirit, or rigor and bravery (if nothing more, mostly foolish) that men possessed is a gift greater than the indecision most elves possessed. The quote does read, "Go not to the elves for council, for they will say both no and yes." And the bravery shown by Beren and Hurin, in my opinion, has yet to be matched by any elf (though I guess you could throw Fingolfin into the mix to liven things up for the side of the eldar).

~Scott
Old 06-05-2003, 06:11 AM   #16
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose the them no being bound to ME is a good gify, but its not something they could laud over the Elves.
The brevery of men was a good thing, but its just one aginst so many elven qualities.
The only people that came close to anything Elven were the Numenorians.
I wonder, was the smith craft and shipbuilding in any way close to, or even surpassing the Noldor, Teleri. Cause the Eldar did teach them a lot, plus in there long years of life they must have learnt a great deal by themselves.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:41 AM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

Quote:
If the Elves were the greatest of the Children of Illuvatar, what were men better than Elves at.
Well, the Noldor of the First Age would have laughed at any suggestion that Men were in some way superior to them. Although they befriended the three Houses of the Edain and gave them lands, they clearly regarded themselves as superior. Note that the lands which the Noldor gave to Men were to be ruled by them as feifdoms rather than in their own right. Witness also the (in my view shameful) use by Elves of Hador, his sons, and of course his grandsons, Hurin and Huor, basically as cannon fodder to cover their safe retreats.

Of course, what the Elves failed to grasp was that their physical and mental superiority did not necessarily make them the more important race. Indeed, it is Man who inherits Middle Earth, and it is in this regard that I see Man as being superior to the Elves. Middle Earth ultimately belongs to Man and the Elves were simply there to protect (ha!) and guide them, and then to make way for them.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:48 AM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, I think that when they are talking about skill, they mean craftsmanship. And I still think that Fëanor was the greatest Elf ever, even greater than Galadriel. I mean, he had the looks, the charisma, the craftsmanship, and the oratory skills. What else could you ask for in an Elf?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:06 AM   #19
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

A little humilty, or at least a sense of proportion? A sense of humor wouldn't have hurt either.

I have always thought of Feanor as ME's Leonardo da Vinci. In the HoME it even mentions that Feanor, like da Vinci, rarely finished a project, (brilliant mind but the attention span of a six year old [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

As for the Elves being 'greater' than Men, define what you mean by great. Elves may have greater beauty and skill of hand but Eru gave Men the power to change the Music, power over fate itself.

The Elves are bound within Arda, body, mind and soul, but Men can transcend it. Men alone have the power to heal the Marring of Arda, (if they will use it to that end) and not just heal it but enrich it. That sounds pretty great to me.

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: Morwen Tindomerel ]
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote