Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #201
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Himaran's Post

Jasper ran forward, swinging his large stick. He went straight for the large hobbit, who had that knife. But this time the hobbit was ready. He ducked the stick and swung his own staff, connecting solidly with Jasper's hand.

Screeching in pain, the man whirled around, swinging out his sword. But the hobbit had swung the stick again, this time hitting the front of his head. It broke the stick, and Jasper plunged into unconciousness.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #202
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

theWhiteLady's Post

Evelina watched the heavy tree fall with a loud thwump, right where she had expected. Earlier, she had been tired and exasperated with Jasper, but now she was certain their plan was foolproof. For once in her life, Evelina was filled with cold confidence, certain from the first attack that the hobbits would be so easily overcome. She scoffed to herself, remembering the stunned, stupid look on their faces when she had jumped up.

Jasper passed by, grumbling loudly about aching muscles and stubborn trees. Evelina turned and clapped him on the shoulder, almost friendly. “No need for that,” she chastised. “Lobelia’s gold is as good as ours. And those hobbits will be willing to do pay anything for their friend.” The lady Bandit’s eyes glinted coldly, reflecting back the light off the gold coins she imagined being handed to her. Jasper, on the other hand, edged away from her nervously. In all their attacks, Evelina had never acted like this. She had always been obsessive over details, which was, of course, what made her so successful.

The hobbits rounded the corner and stopped their cart just where the Bandits had planned. They seemed confused; eager to grab the hobbit child sitting primly on the wagon seat, Evelina gave the signal a touch prematurely. Himaran and Jasper burst from the bushes, while she snuck to the side, her eyes were fixed on the child just in front. The sound of a scuffle forced into her hearing and a loud, plaintive cry made her pause and look back.

The lady Bandit could scarcely believe what she saw. A tiny hobbit had knocked Jasper down! Another with fierce eyes was advancing on Himaran, who stood staring stunned at his companion. The hobbits were not caught unawares this time; they had wisely learned from the first attack and were on their guard. Evelina’s mistake and folly met her quickly and she realized the attack was up. Grinding her teeth as she imagined what Jasper might let slip out, she disappeared into the brush by the road, hoping she had not been spotted and wondering if easier pickings could be found outside the Shire and their nasty Shirrifs.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #203
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Child's post

Marigold had gone blithely tripping down the path, holding a basket of apples out in front of her, as well as a purse stuffed with coins that she made sure to jingle loudly. When she got to the place on the path where Belle had fallen, she threw herself to the ground, acting as if she had tripped and hit her head against a rock. Marigold remained sprawled and silent on the grass, apparently unconscious. It was at this point that Lotho chose to emerge.

Lotho looked cautiously from side to side. There was no sign of any other hobbit in sight. He knelt down by Marigold and wiggled the purse out from under her outstretched hand. He carefully opened the bag and was about to reach in and take out his prize, when something caused him to stop.

Bowman slipped out from behind the tree and came running as fast as his legs would carry him. He dove directly at Lotho, launching himself in the air like an arrow speeding from a bow. With a great 'splat,' the two bodies came together on the ground. Bowman on top, and Lotho underneath. Marigold suddenly revived, and wrenched a stick out from beneth her skirts, leaning over and holding it directly above Lotho's head.

Cami finally caught up with the rest, and stood looming above them, waving Lotho's coat with its missing button. "Alright," she growled. "You've got a simple choice here. You've hidden Bilbo's coins in your purse. Hand those over, and we'll conventiently forget all this."

"And, if not?" Lotho spluttered.

"If not," glared Cami, "I take this coat to the shirriff along with the missing button and explain how I found that button the day after Belle was hurt. And how your mother lied about it to Mister Bilbo. And maybe I'll tell them about this morning too."

Bowman stood up. Even though he was younger, he was only a few inches shorter than Lotho, and, being a hefty lad, Bowman actually weighed a pound or two more. Bowman had brought along a pitchfork which he now began pointing menacingly at the older hobbit. "Go on, you worthless piece of nothing. Picking on a stupid little girl who can't defend herself. You make me sick! If you want to fight, fight me."

Lotho looked from Marigold to Bowman to Cami, and back to Bowman again. He backed up a fewsteps and shook his head. "You give me that jacket back, and maybe you'll get your money." Then he yanked his change purse out and, full of anger, counted out the coins into Cami's hand, just as Maroigold threw the jacket over his head.

During all of this, Bowman kept the pitchfork aimed right for Lotho's middle and gave him one small jab in the behind before the older hobbit recovered and took off down the path, racing away as quickly as he could.

The three children stood jubilant facing each other. "I do believe we've done it, ladies." Bowman grinned and actually reached over and shook hands with Cami. Then he carefully pulled back his hand and wiped it off on his breeches, to make sure that it wasn't too corrupted from having touched a girl.

Later that afternoon, the children returned to Bag-end, and handed the coins over to Bilbo. Cami invented a wild story about Lotho having the money by mistake and not remembering. At the end of the story, Bilbo looked down at them, a slight smile on his face, and gave a decided wink in the direction of the children. "Let's keep this our secret." Cami and Marigold and Bowman all nodded solemnly and went back to their work making decorations.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #204
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

After the incident with the bandits, all went smoothly for the company. They reached Michel Delving and did their shopping there, then turned and hurried back for home.

They arrived in Bywater and bought the food they needed, and then returned to Hobbiton, where they first went to their families. They were greeted with hugs and kisses and many questions. Mr. Tussock was indeed glad that the ponies had come back safely.

The next thing to do was rush straight to Bag End to let Mr. Bilbo know they had been successful in their mission and tell all their tales. Bilbo took the runaways into the kitchen gave them sound scolding, and he didn't know until afterwards that Bowman had been hiding in a cupboard, listening. Bowman received a scolding as well.

Then they all went home, Mr. Bilbo whispering to Primrose to come before anyone else the next morning.

=========

September the 22nd, 1393 S.R.

There was a soft knock on the door. Bilbo, who had been waiting there most of the morning, jumped up to open it, and saw exactly who he wanted to see: Primrose Tussock.

"Come in, Prim," he said. "Frodo is at the Green Dragon; I've convinced him to stay there until someone comes to fetch him."

"And what excuse did you give?" Primrose asked as she sat down in the chair Bilbo indicated to.

"I told him he'd have more fun at the Dragon than sitting around all day, trying not to get in the way of those setting up party decorations… Only I put it so he wouldn't know it was a surprise party."

Primrose nodded. "I can't wait to see his face when he comes in the door. He will be surprised."

They sat in silence for awhile, imagining Frodo's expression when his relatives and friends, young and old, jumped out from behind furniture and from dark corners.

"Well," said Bilbo. "Primrose, the reason I wanted you to come early is that I wanted to thank you. Of course all members of your company are to thank, but we couldn't have done it without you."

Primrose blushed furiously, but shook her head. "No, Bilbo, I couldn't have done it without them. Many was the time I wanted to turn back, and wished I had never endeavored to go, but the support and comfort and friendship of all who traveled with me made me go on."

Bilbo smiled. "We couldn't do without friends, Primrose. We most certainly couldn't."

=========

Everyone was gathered at Bag End later that day, making sure everything was ready for the party. Mel and Prim were chatting together, and strangely, what most occupied their talk was bandits.

Sam was sent to bring Frodo back from the Green Dragon, and everyone suddenly became tense. Bowman looked coolly around and asked, "Why are you all acting like stupid little girls, being so nervous?" He then walked calmly to a bookshelf and hid behind it.

There was a scramble to find hiding places, and then some relief. The door opened, and Sam was heard saying, "Count to fifty, and then you can go in. I just want to make sure everything Bilbo wanted to be done is done." Then Sam came running into the room.

"Lame excuse," Bowman muttered.

Sam was counting to himself. Twenty… thirty… "Forty," he said aloud, but very quietly.

And then Frodo came into the room. Everyone sprang out of their hiding places with a cry of, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" . . .

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-16-2003, 12:36 PM   #205
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Count to fifty, and then you can go in. I just want to make sure everything Bilbo wanted to be done is done," Sam said. Frodo looked a little puzzled, but nodded, and Sam raced back into the room.

"Lame excuse," muttered Bowman, but Sam ignored him.

Fifty counts wasn't very long, but it gave Sam a little bit of time to think things through. As he counted he looked around the room at Elanor, Bowman, Melilot, Primrose, Cami, and Marigold (to whom he had apologized most profusely), he thought back on his recent experiences.

Twenty...

As he and Elanor had expected, they were thoroughly scolded, by their parents and by Mr. Bilbo. Sam had been crushed, but somehow, now that it was all over, he was relieved. He knew that he had done something wrong, and now he was through with it, and he'd learned something from it. Never again would Samwise Gamgee give his word and go back on it, he had said to Bilbo, with as much gravity as he could possibly show on his face. And he meant it.

Thirty...

"Forty!" Sam whispered.

Frodo stepped into the room, and everyone leapt out of their hiding spots and shouted "Happy Birthday!", Sam the loudest of them all.

The party was proceeding grandly, and Melilot was having a lovely time. Her leg still ached a little bit, but she hardly noticed it, distracted as she was by the food, entertainment, and above all the company. She went up behind Primrose and gave her a quick hug around the shoulders.

"You did well, Prim," she said. "Look at this! This is wonderful! And look at Frodo. He's so happy...and it couldn't have been done without you." Without leaving Prim enough time to respond, Melilot went along, talking to everyone she passed, and enjoying the party while it lasted.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:47 PM   #206
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After a while, Frodo found Elanor by the cupcakes, sneaking a third one. She trembled at the stern look on his face. Was he really going to castigate her at his birthday party? She glanced desperately in Sam's direction, but then a smile appeared on his face.

"I trust you won't be running off anymore, will you, Miss Elanor?" He inquired. Elanor flushed.

"Of- of course not, Frodo," She stammered. He smiled at her again and moved on to the other guests. Elanor sidled her way over to Sam. "You know," She said. "I'm sorry we ran away and all, but I don't regret it one single bit. I mean-" she said hastily, seeing the horrified look on his face. "I know we were very bad, but we learned so much from doing it . . . don't you think so, Sam?" She grinned. "Anyhow, what say you to a little dancing?"

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #207
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam spent a little while visiting with Belle and helping her catch up on everything that had happened after she was injured--she still couldn't carry things, or write. She had been most envious of their adventures, but Sam made such a business out of the story of the bandits that in the end, Belle was almost glad that she'd broken her arm.

After the story was finished and he made sure that Belle had more company, he went over to the table and took a tart, watching Elanor and Frodo. Frodo had already talked to him, and Sam had given him a full account of the bandits, and then a solemn promise never to do anything like it again.

Once Frodo left, Elanor went up to Sam. They spoke for a little while, and then Elanor threw Sam off his balance with the simple invitation, "Anyhow, what say you to a little dancing?"

Sam was stunned. "Well, I, uh," he stammered. Girls! How could he be expected to deal with girls on a day like this? But Elanor was watching him, waiting, and he couldn't be rude. "Sure, Elanor," he said finally, "that'd be great."

So he took her by the hand and they went into the middle of the room with the other dancers, and they danced.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:49 PM   #208
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So much had happened to Annabell those last couple of weeks, her being invited to help with Frodo's birthday, traveling around the Shire for party stuffs, and of course the Bandits. Annabell had been hit with a large stick in the leg by one of the Bandits, it had bled quite a bit and had turned a deep purple, but was getting better fast. She had talked considerably less since the first attack, she had felt terrible and a bit guilty. She knew it was stupid, but she felt she should have done something.

She looked about at all that was going on at the party. There were hobbits everywhere, dancing and drinking and smiling. She loved dancing and could because her leg was considerably better after having her mother, who had always been gifted at healing things with herbs, had looked at it. But she really didn't feel like it.

She looked over at Frodo, who was talking merrily with the some other hobbits by the dancing floor. She smiled happily, just glad that he was having a good time, which had been why they had left Hobbiton in the first place. They had done what they had set out to do, the food, the decorations were all perfect, and Frodo beamed happily.

At that moment Estella ran up to her, a large grin on her face. "Come Anna! Let's dance, you love dancing!"

"But..." She tryed to protest.

"I'll help you Anna! Let's go!" She said helping the hobbit to her feet. Annabell walked over with her friend, limpimg slightly. They made it to an area where only a few hobbits were dancing, and Estella started to dance. Annabell knew the dance well, they had made it when they were younger. She looked over at her friend, a smile slowly spreading across her face. She stuck her tongue out at Estella and started to dance with her, though she was not as graceful with her bruised leg.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:22 PM   #209
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Her face hot and sweatty, yet bearing a huge grin, Pearl steppped off the dancefloor. The last two hours had been a glourious partying and had driven bandits, rain, second- floors and freckels out of her mind completly. Even now, taking a break, her sourrunding seemed to melt away in one single blob of happiness. She let herself fall down next to Crystal, who was enjoying some cake and a drink.

"Well," she grinned "All that trouble we´ve been through was certainly worth it, wasn´t it?" she asked, smiling. Crystal nodded, her mouth full of Cherrycake. For a moment, Pearl was tempted of annoying her, but decided not to. Fights with Crystal were essential to her, but not on an evening like this. She leaned back, looking into the stars. Warm, golden happiness flooded her body, leaving her speechless with all the love she suddenly felt for all of them. She saw Prim, talking to a unknown hobbit, tapping her foot to the distant music. Elanor and Sam were-Pearl glanced, were they really??- dancing, and she even spotted Cami Goodchild, running around with some other children. Watching them, Pearl sudddenly knew whatever would happen to her, she would never keep forget this summer. It wold always be in her heart.

"Hey," A voice said in her ear. She turned around, spotting Frodo, smiling down at her. He looked as happy as she felt.

"Want to dance?"
Old 03-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #210
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nurumaiel's post:

Bowman looked around uncertainly at everyone having fun. A sorrowful expression came to his face when he saw Sam and Elanor dancing. All those children were such friends! I'm just a rude and nasty boy who could never make any friends, Bowman thought, and he turned. He had no business at the party, anyway.
He went to the front hall and grabbed his coat, slipping it on. He tried to shut out the laughter and singing. It was a great struggle he had with the front door, trying to open it. But not because the front door was stubborn… because he was reluctant. At last his hand fell on the knob and swiftly twisted it and pulled. A gust of fresh air hit his face. The sky was beginning to grow dark. He stepped out of Bag End.

"Bowman Proudfoot, where do you think you're going?" a voice said behind him. "The party's not over yet."

He turned, startled, and found himself looking up into the face of Mr. Bilbo. Tears threatened to come to his eyes, but he fought off and scowled upwards. "I decided this party is no fun," he said. "There are too many girls dancing and singing and acting like ninnies."

Bilbo looked amused. "Well, if you don't want to be in there with those 'ninnies,' why don't you come outside with me? I need some fresh air."

"Well… all right," said Bowman, pretending to be very reluctant. But it had been a struggle to keep from shouting with joy.

"Let me get my coat," said Bilbo. "It's rather chilly out there."

A minute later, Bowman Proudfoot and Bilbo Baggins were sitting on the doorstep, gazing up at the stars in silence. Bowman never once glanced back at the door to wonder what everyone was doing out there. He was too happy.

Bilbo was the first to break the silence by saying, "I want to thank you, Bowman, for all the help you've given us."

Bowman looked up, stunned. "I don't deserve any thanks, Mr. Bilbo," he said, and could hardly believe what he was saying. "I've only been mean this whole time."

"Bowman, everyone learns sometimes. And though I don't agree with everything you did, I think it was good for Cami and Marigold to learn that there are people who can act like that, and that sometimes you have to go a little deeper to find what people are thinking and feeling. Bowman, I know you didn't want to act the way you did. You didn't want to appear 'girly.' You wanted to look like a man. But I know that you knew you weren't acting like one."

"That's right," said Bowman hoarsely. "I'm sorry, Mr. Bilbo."

"And you're forgiven. I suppose I won't spoil your fun of being a man so soon, and so suddenly," he added after a pause.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I'll tell Cami and Marigold that you're sorry, and we can all meet here say… next week, and you can apologize to them in person."

Bowman opened his mouth to protest, then bowed his head and nodded. "Yes, Mr. Bilbo."

"Now, Bowman. What did you think of Cami?"

"She was wonderful, Mr. Bilbo!" said Bowman, thinking of how great any girl was that would stand up to a tough man like himself like that. "Well, that is… for a girl. You know girls."

Bilbo thought with a grimace of Lobelia. "Yes, my lad, I do. Now, shall we go back and join the party? No doubt you want to do some dancing?"

Bowman sighed. "No one would want to dance with me," he said.

Bilbo led him into the house once more, and they hung up their coats on the coat rack. "Well, Bowman, we'll just have to see about that. We'll just have to see."

And the first thing that happened to Bowman when he stepped into the room was Primrose asking him if he'd like to dance.

Child's post:

It was the morning after the party. All the fun was over, and the clean-up was done. Bilbo had gone to Cami's family, and arranged for her to return to Bag-end that next morning with a small rucksack packed for a journey of several days.

"Where are we going?" Cami asked.

"To Woody End, just north of Woodhall."

"Why are we going there?"

"Cami Goodchild, I said I wanted to give you a treat for sticking to your promise, and putting up with Bowman. But don't ask too many questions, or I'll send you home. I will say that the autumn is a particularly good time to visit Woody End." Cami decided to be very quiet, since she was curious what she might see at Woody End, and had no desire to go back home, at least just yet.

Bilbo had rented ponies from the livery at the Green Dragon Inn for the thirty mile trip to the East Farthing where Woody End was situated. The journey was generally pleasant, since a good deal of it lay over the Stock Road, a well maintained thoroughfare extending from Tuckborough to Woodhall. They reached their general destination by the late afternoon and then left the road to cut into the pleasant shaded groves.

Cami's eyes widened with surprise as they headed into the woods. They found a small grove to set up camp, and soon had a fire going with plenty of good things to eat. The tangled boughs of the oaks hung overhead, but there was still enough moonlight filtering down between the leaves to see everything very clearly. After a good dinner, and much talk, the campfire burned low, and the three of them settled in for the night.

Cami had little experience on the back of a pony, so that her bones ached horribly fom riding all day. Altough she fought to keep her eyes open, she soon found herself yawning, her head drooping onto the ground. Cami wasn't sure how long she'd actually slept, but the next thing she could remember was Bilbo shaking her gently and whispering into her ear. "Get up now, or you'll miss everything."

Cami rubbed her eyes and looked into the woods. There was a small band of folk heading east. Sweet songs were rising from their lips, ballads of journeys and the beauty of the land. Cami had never heard such singing in all her life, but she could understand very little of it, since it seemed to be in a tongue different than her own. As the singers came closer, the hobbits could see their tall, graceful forms, and the light that glimmered from their eyes.

"Will they stop?" Cami whispered urgently to Frodo, hoping beyond hope that this would happen.

Frodo shook his head and whispered back, "I'm not sure. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. But if they speak to anyone it will be Bilbo. Some of them know him."

As if in response to Cami's wish, the group suddenly halted and the Elf in front looked over towards the hobbits. "Master Bilbo, all hail to you." The Elf spoke in Westron so Cami could understand.

Bilbo doffed his cap and bowed, "The same to you."

"You have brought two friends with you today. I recognize the one but not the other."

"Yes, that is my dear nephew, whom you've seen many a time. But the other is one of my students. And in all my days I've never seen a child who so likes tales of Elves, and the days of Beleriand."

The Elf laughed. The noise sounded like a tinkling bell to Cami. "Then she is indeed a child wise beyond her years."

Cami felt her breath come short, and bowed her head to acknowledge the kind words of the Elf. Then Bilbo and the Elf talked of a number of things. Cami even thought she heard something about Bilbo being more than welcome to come to Rivendell someday.

In a minute or two, it was over. The Elves continued on. The hobbits returned to their camp, and lay down for the night. Cami snuggled down in her bedroll dreaming of Elves and Elvish cities, and how she would visit one someday. She said thank you to Bilbo for bringing her to see such a wondrous sight. Then just before she fell asleep, Cami whispered to Frodo, "Someday I'm going to have an Elvish friend."

"That's not too likely," he responded, "although it would be a nice thing to happen."

"I will Frodo. Wait and see. I'll make friends with an Elf lady, and she and I will tell each other secrets."

Frodo's only response was a kindly chuckle just before he fell asleep. Cami lay awake several more minutes, staring up at the stars. I mean it, Frodo Baggins. I really do. Then she too rolled over and slept.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]