The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting age of legolas

i've been able to find the age of everyone at their death or passing into the west by finding their birth and death date in the lotr appendix. NOWHERE can i find legolas in any of tolkiens works. could anyone tell me his age?
Old 04-05-2002, 09:21 PM   #2
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

You know, I am sure that there are many people here that can tell you his exact age. But if I am not misstaken I think he is 4 thousand and somthing. Just a quick question also, did Legolas travel to Gray Havens along with Frodo?
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
mordor136
Wight

Pipe

no in the lotr appendix after elessar died he and gimli passed over the sea. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

Oooh! I see! Well thank you very much. See! I learn somthing everday! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No one can tell you his exact age, it isn't known. All that can be said is that it is likely though not certain that he was born in the First Age. His father was born in the first age and Elves tend to have children around age 100, as we are told. I'm currently working on an essay on the subject. The Second Age lasted 3441 years and the Third Lasted 3021 (Not 1541 as I accidently said earlier, darn Shire reckoning). So if Legolas WAS born in the First Age, he would be ATLEAST 6452. The last 600 years of the First Age were spent in war and we are told that Elves have less or no children at all during war if they can help it, so you could tack on that 600 if you want, bringing the total to 7052 and still be on the safe side in my opinion. But, afterall, it is only an educated guess.

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Mhoram ]
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 05:44 AM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
The third age lasted 1541.
I hope you'll post your essay when it's done Mhoram, I too think Legolas was born in the first age. Wasn't the Third age 3021 years though?
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just out of interest, where does it say Legolas' father was born in the first age? Can it be deduced from The Hobbit?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:34 AM   #8
Afrodal

Sting

Well, I think that Thranduil was born in First Age. He came from Doriath after it's destruction and Morgoth's fall, and founded his own kingdom, right?

But I don't believe that Legolas was born in First Age, too. What I'm thinking, is that he was born in the end of the Second age or in the first centuries of the Third Age. That's my opinion.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:07 PM   #9
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was always under the impression that Legolas was born in the first part of the Third Age, after Thranduil and his father Oropher were at the Last Alliance. If you would like to read about Thranduil and his realm, I suggest reading Unfinished Tales. Lots of good info in there, but it doesn't say when Legolas was born. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #10
Ivorwen
Pile O'Bones

Ivorwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I read in this interview with Orlando Bloom that Legolas was 2,900 something years old, I don't really remember. But of course, he isn't entirely reliable.
Ivorwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
Ancalime
Pile O'Bones

Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ancalime
Sting

Just a note that according to the "Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide," in their interview of Orlando Bloom, he says Legolas is 2,931 years old. I have no idea how they arrive at that number, and, as Ivorwen posted above, I don't know how reliable he is. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #12
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Yes, Orlando Bloom (and the rest of the cast) did say that Legolas was 2931 years of age, but I seem to remember that, because there is not reference to his age in the books, they made up an age. In a timeline I printed out online that decided to include Legolas's birthyear that was created in the movie, and it said that Legolas was born in the year 87 of the 3rd age. It then has a footnote which reads that, as I said, Tolkien never indicated an age for Legolas, so one was created for the film.

So, I guess that means that Legolas Greenleaf is as old as we desire him to be, because there is no set age. I have decided to go by the age given in the movie, personally, because that is all I have to go on.

And yes: Legolas did depart over the sea with Gimli soon after the death of King Elessar (and he did not go with Frodo in the end of the book). It addresses that in the appendices, and sites a year too.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:49 PM   #13
Ivorwen
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide," yes, that was where i read it. Thanks Ancalime [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #14
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Quote:
Wasn't the Third age 3021 years though?
I am SO sorry, I put down the date in shire reckoning *turns red* Yes, the Third Age was 3021, as you so accurately noted [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'll edit my post to correct for that.

Voronwe: In the Tale of Years of ROTK, in the second paragraph under The Second Age

Quote:
In the beginning of this age many of the High Elves still remained. Most of these dwelt in Lindon west of the Ered Luin; but before the building of the Barad-dur many of the Sindar passed eastward, and some established realms in the forests far away, where their people were mostly Silvan Elves. Thranduil, king in the north of Greenwood the Great, was one of these.
On the next page the building of Barad-Dur is said to have begun in SA 1000. So before 1000 SA Thranduil has moved to Greenwood(Mirkwood) and set up a kingdom (I don't know what to make of his father Oropher yet, i'll get back to you.) So, just by that evidence I think it's safe to say Thranduil was born in the FA at some point. There very well may be more and better evidence to that and if I find it, i'll post.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:37 PM   #15
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

To futher elaborate. I'd say my guess of 7k and change is probally along the lines of the oldest Legolas could be could be. However, I am certain that a convincing case could be made to put Legolas as the same one we read of in the Fall of Gondolin, but that just goes to show that Legolas could be just about any age. I do, however wish to add a couple more notes for the discussion.

We know that Thranduil was alive early in the second age, and very likely in the first. I offer that Elrond was born late in the First Age but didn't have his first children until early in the Third Age.

And lastly, in regards to Legolas' age:
Quote:
'It is old, very old,' said the Elf. 'So old that almost I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children. -Legolas speaking of Fangorn Forest
Old 04-06-2002, 07:54 PM   #16
Glim Iceholder
Pile O'Bones

Glim Iceholder has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Elrond was born late in the First Age but didn't have his first children until early in the Third Age.
Thats exactly what I was going to say. The fact is we don't know how old Legolas is. I personally think he was born sometimes in the Third Age. But thats just my opinion.
Glim Iceholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:06 AM   #17
Narquelie

Eye

I think Legolas is 2,931 years old, but thats what Orlando Bloom said. He's no Tolkien expert, but still i love him!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 05:10 AM   #18
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*Nods* I think I agree with Narquelie. It's as good an age as any.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:09 PM   #19
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Haha: yes, I love Mr. Bloom too: we can take his word for it! LOL [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] .

Quote:
It's as good an age as any.
Yes: it is almost good that he did not include age (annoying to me, until I thought about how it was so completely irrelevant to the story), for then we can manipulate it to make it fit our fanfics (selfish reason, I know, but...haha...we all have the defence "but Tolkien doesn't SAY!") and even that it allows discussions such as these to circulate, in which we can reveal the nature of people and their beliefs (no matter how basic or complex the topic is). We learn about each other, our emotions, our fighting style (in some cases), our beliefs, our dreams.

Haha: I am fourteen: these types of thoughts go on in my head all the time.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:37 PM   #20
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think I asked the same question a while ago, and there were many different answers that I got. When finally I found a wonderful essay on the ages of a few of the characters that are often debated and aren't really known, Legolas was on the top of the agenda.

It isn't really known how old he is and in the books, he can come off as either very young or old for an elf. There are lots of mixed messages. The script writers probably gave him the age 2,931 years because it is neither here nor there. I think they just rolled dice to come up with that number IMHO.

I have read where he is around 400 when the fellowship starts, to the extreme end of the spectrum where he was born in the first age and had a hand in the war of the ring(and many others), being one of the lords under the command of Thranduil that rode under the banner of Mirkwood. That's where the myth about his brothers come in. It isn't officially said that he has got brothers or sisters, but many Legolas fans like to think so.

I think that of all the characters that are featured in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Legolas is the most vague one. You don't know who his mother is, you don't know if he has brothers or sisters, and you have no clue what role he plays in the hierarchy of Mirkwood, only that he is the Prince. And a really good archer.

If I can find the address to that essay, I will post it promptly.

~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #21
Ivorwen
Pile O'Bones

Ring

I think that it would be better if they never mentioned his age. Maybe Tolkien left it like that for a reason. But I agree with Narquelie, Ruthwen and VanimaEdhel in saying that it is the only age we have and we should be happy for it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #22
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Here is the article

But some people are rather particular. They want to know the ages of certain characters in order to compare them to others, to make things make sense. I know I do. Looking something like this over annoys me--as little and as meaningless as it is to others.

~~Daegwenn

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Daegwenn ]
Riding—Riding—

Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Old 04-07-2002, 05:37 PM   #23
mordor136
Wight

Sting

it keeps the people who are easily entertained occupied. though i see what you mean.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:33 PM   #24
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

What's that supposed to mean, Mordor 136?

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Daegwenn ]
Riding—Riding—

Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Old 04-08-2002, 07:39 PM   #25
mordor136
Wight

Sting

nothing but some people can do meaningless think with enjoyment
Old 04-08-2002, 09:01 PM   #26
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always leaned towards Legolas being a child of the third age; he just give me the impression of being a "younger" elf.

I do find it peculiar that Tolkien didn't give him an age or some background. I know that LOTR was revised in the 60s, mostly due to questions from readers, and that Tolkien expanded the appendices and added to the geneologies.

Can't believe that back then people weren't asking this same question, so why didn't Tolkien address it? Apparently Christopher Tolkien found no references to it in all of Tolkien's notes and drafts, either.

Most peculiar: J.R.R. can make up names of 2nd-cousins-once-removed for the hobbits, but he can't give an age or a mother's name to one of his main characters?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #27
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

No, no, Christopher knows. It will be answered in HoME XIII. In HoME XII we will finally be told who Tom Bombadil really was, the Balrog wings problem will be explained, we'll find out what happened to the Entwives, the confusion about Glorifindel and Legolas in the Fall of Gondolin will be clairified, and much more! I can't wait!
Old 04-08-2002, 11:02 PM   #28
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes Mhoram, Christopher will explain it all, including "Drogo and Primula - Accident or Murder?"

Then he will hire George Anderson to channel Dad, and through automatic writing we will finally have "Frodo, the Undying Years".

It'll all be real good Mhoram...real good! (Birdie backs slooowly away...)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:04 PM   #29
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

*drools*
Old 04-09-2002, 02:42 PM   #30
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*commences drooling after reading those juicy tidbits from Mhoram & Birdland [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]*

Mhoram, I am totally interested in your essay! I look forward to perusing it when it is ready for inquiring minds! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 02:47 PM   #31
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Well, it ended up becoming the first post of the thread "Laws and Customs of the Eldar" problem, here in Books II. It's related but not specific to Legolas.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:39 PM   #32
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Question

A Somewhat related question: I believe I read somewhere that the Legolas in questin is not the only Legolas Tolkien ever wrote about. Is the another Legolas? I believe I heard he re-used the name.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:55 PM   #33
mordor136
Wight

Sting

IMG]gandalf2.jpg[/IMG]thank everyone for posting
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #34
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Yes, there was a Legolas Greenleaf in the early version of the story of Gondolin. There was also an elf named Gimli. These were later abandoned and it is unclear but unlikely that these two Legolas' were ever intended to be the same.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:04 PM   #35
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Thank You, Mhoram. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]