The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Vilya

The Eye What if, wounded by the Morgul blade, Frodo had fade before reaching Rivendell?

Hello to all. Hereafter is my guess of what would have happened if Frodo had fade from the Morgul wound. In parenthesis are the multiple interrogations to which I hoped you could help me with. If you see something wrong in my hypothesis, please inform me of it.

By going into the Wraith-world (The fading was occurring gradually but would the passage from our world to the Wraith one be as slow?), Frodo’s body would have become transparent (Would the shard of the Morgul blade be then visible, seeing that it can not fade, except if sunlight or fire melts it? In a more comical way, could we see it float in the air where Frodo is standing?) Like the Nazgul (Would he become one of them or only a servant?), one could only see he’s there if he wears cloths or accessories from our world. (What would be his first reflex as a wraith? Put the Ring on? Take it to Sauron, even though he hasn’t received the order to? Wait for the Ring-wraiths to find him?) (Would the real Frodo, the good one, be gone forever or would he be trapped in this evilness and only able to watch?) One way or another, he would arrive to Mordor. There, Sauron would take the Ring (Would Frodo still be addicted to the Ring? If his master’s order was to give it back and he couldn’t disobey, would the separation be painful?) and take over Middle-Earth. (At this point, what would happen to Frodo? Depending on if he was the tenth Ring-wraith or only a servant, would he serve Sauron? Would the Dark Lord torture Frodo’s soul, if it still existed, for keeping the Ring away from him?) (In the Wraith-world, everything would be like when he put the Ring on, but permanently. How would Sauron look like? The High Elves would be light, the Nazgul would be the pale kings and the other people (Men, Hobbits and all) would be dark shapes, but what about the Dark Lord?) (If the fading wasn’t too deep, would it be possible, to a certain level, to bring him back by removing the shard of the Morgul blade (who would be in his heart at that time) and corrupting him to good?)

I hope you will be able to answer me, at least partially. Thank you.
Vilya
Old 07-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
"They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife which remains in the wound. If they had succeeded, you would have become like they are, only weaker and under their command. You would have become a wraith under the dominion of the Dark Lord; and he would have tormented you for trying to keep his Ring, if any greater torment were possible than being robbed of it and seeing it on his hand."
This is Gandalf speaking to Frodo at the start of the chapter "Many Meetings." I think it should answer some of your questions. You may want to check out that section for further information.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Vilya

Oh...

Thank you Firefoot. I wasn't sure about those things. I've searched for that part in the book a long time before giving up. It answers some of my questions. Thanks again!
Vilya
Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome to the Downs, Vilya! Your icon is very spiffy.

It's an interesting question you pose! Hmm... that would make an interesting AU fanfiction... *ponders*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Take it to Sauron, even though he hasn’t received the order to? Wait for the Ring-wraiths to find him?
Since Frodo wasn't travelling alone, I think we don't have to worry about those options. I assume that his friends wouldn't have let Frodo do anything that would have hurted him or possibly the whole M-E.
Quote:
In a more comical way, could we see it float in the air where Frodo is standing
Wouldn't that be a sight!
Maybe once the shard of the blade would have reached Frodos heart and "done the job", it would have disappeared (well, like the whole story would otherwise follow the laws of physics ).
Quote:
Would the real Frodo, the good one, be gone forever or would he be trapped in this evilness and only able to watch?
Like he had a helpless alter ego? I'm not sure if I believe that a piece of an evil sword can wholly change one's personality, but I don't think it could have made Frodo schizophrenic or something like that. It might be a bit like someone would have casted a spell on him (like in Theoden's case, perhaps?). If there had remained, after passing into the world of the wraiths, any good left in Frodo, it might have been something unconscious and it would probably have faded quite quickly.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 07-31-2004 at 09:18 AM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Vilya

Thank you for your answers, dancing spawn of ungoliant. They are very interesting hypotheses. You can be sure I'll take them in note.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Adding in my two cents on what Spawny mentioned... I wonder if Frodo would not simply go mad, as the 'darkness' took over him. I agree that it most likely would not wholly change his personality, and 'Good' Frodo would still be there. But perhaps he would be so taken by the pain of becoming wraith-like, that his mission would not be the first thing on his mind. What I have to question, is how he'd react to those around him. Would he then go mad and do something rash to his companions, or would he simply run off until he was eventually led by the power of the Ring to Mordor, and to his doom? Or maybe even both?

My curiosity arouses in what Frodo's mindset would be like. Whether he'd be scared, pained, or just plain taken over by some 'power' in him from the wound? I don't believe, as I've mentioned before, that it would make him immediately 'evil', per se, but in a situation as such, it's rather easy to assume that he'd have little control over what he was doing.

Take Nienor, for instance. When she was overcome by her own darkness, she wasn't really in any state of mind to think rationally - or so one could conclude. All she did was run in fear.

Taking that into account, I should like to think that Frodo would react in much the same way. Though, I would imagine his suffrage would be worse. So, perhaps he would be 'trapped in this evilness, and only be able to watch' in that he wouldn't really be able to think rationally. But that's just my opinion. ^^
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I think if Frodo had faded, which thank goodness he didn't, Sam could have taken the ring. He was so strong of character he could have possibly made it. The only thing that makes me question him was how he didn't trust gollum. He was right in not trusting him but he wouldn't have found his way to Mordor without him. This is all only if Glorfindel had taken the ring from Frodo before he faded. If he hadn't then Middle-Earth would have been lost. I think Sam probably would have felt it was his duty to complete his masters work.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #9
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree, Ninlaith. Sam probably could have completed the Quest, provided that he found the way into Mordor all by his onesie.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote