The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Dior
Wight

Dior has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Battles

Talk about them.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:47 AM   #2
Talin

Sting

um...great way to start a topic! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] na kidding...um...um..let me see, people fight...people die...
Old 03-10-2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to make a start: Whatīs your "fav" battle?
I mean which battle did you find most excitening and what tales/stories about battles in ME do you like?
I like the part in the book thatīs about the Pelennor- Battle, because so many things happen there and so many heroes are born there...
and of course in battles many people are killed and they are really something miserable and bad.. letīs discuss... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I must agree. A starting place would greatly aid us. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I agree, Narya. Armies coming in from every direction expected and unexpected. Heros made, Great Men and Terrible Foes Died.

Helm's Deep was too difficult for me to imagine(Geographically).
Old 03-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #6
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Helm's Deep was too difficult for me to imagine(Geographically).
Raefindel,

Helms Deep is located in the White Mountains (Ered Nimrais), northwest of Edoras. Maybe 20 miles or so southeast of the Gap of Rohan. Pretty much due south of the Fangorn Forest, (Entwood). Hope this helps.
[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2002, 02:48 PM   #7
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Helmīs Deep, too. It took me some time to picture the whole fortrest and the area around it. (If that is what you mean, Raefindel)
And thereīs something else to discuss about battles.
When you are on the side of good and a great adventurer, wouldnīt you dislike it if there were no reasons to fight anymore?
If you are a 'good guy' you want that your people are happy and that the evil is defeated. But when it is (for example)a fantasy world soon gets boring, because there are no adventures to make and no quests to accomplish anymore. So battles or fights are what makes a tale interessting and good. Almost every fantasy storý is about the fight between good and evil, but when one side once has destroyed the other there wouldnīt be anything to talk about.
Hope you get what I mean.. Im tiered...
Old 03-10-2002, 04:29 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The battle that had the most effect on me in LOTR was Faramir's troops skirmishing against the Southrons, and Sam's reaction to it.

Up until then the hobbits had only seen battles against orcs, wargs and otherworldly creatures, who were killed with no real compunction. Sam's first experience of seeing men fighting men, and his thoughts about the Southron soldier whom he saw fall before him, was a surprising, touching moment. I'm glad Tolkien put that episode in the book.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:37 PM   #9
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay my favorite war has to be the War of Wrath. My favorite battle would have to be Gandalf fighting the Balrog.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Ahanarion ]
Old 03-10-2002, 05:02 PM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say Helm's Deep, the battle where Gilmi thinks he's standing by a dead hobbit -wish I could remember where that's at, Sam fist men battle, and the Merry/Eowny/Nazgul batle.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 05:09 PM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Question

Exactly, Narya. I've always had trouble imagining the fortress and the land surrounding it. Tolkien doesn't seem to describe it with words undrestandable by a layman. I've never been in a battle and I've never seen a "mountain fortress". Am I the only one here who had trouble with Helm's Deep"? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

No, Raefindel. I also had trouble imaganing it. I found that my mental imige of Helms Deep was continualy changing!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #13
EonweHeraldofManwe

Sting

It's definitely one of the things I'm looking forward to in the next movie. Hordes of Uruk-Hai and Dunlendings crowded around the outer Dike with Aragorn, Eomer, Legolas and Gimli ranging up and down the wall... Aragorn's flight back to the citadel while Gimli and crew retreat to the caves of Aglarond... Aragorn standing on the Dike in the pre-dawn light... Theoden King riding through the gates while the horns blow...

Great stuff!
Old 03-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Raefindel & Mayla Took:

there is a lovely book - The Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad (she is a cartographer who has combed through the Tolkien books and maps for geographic and timeline info) which has maps for all the battles and descriptions of the troop action.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #15
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

Wow, thank you piosenniel! I will keep my eyes open for it!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:19 PM   #16
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

Thanks Piosenniel. That should help.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #17
Rohirrim

Shield

For me, the bests was Helmīs Deep and the last battle of Frodo with Gollum for the one Ring.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:59 PM   #18
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Helm's Deep for me, too. I can't wait to see Eowyn kick the Witch-King's butt! I mean chop his head off! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] That, and Legolas shield surfing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Now, to see if the theater will throw me out when I start vociferously cheering and screaming as the good guys kick some butt! I love action movies! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 09:12 PM   #19
Dior
Wight

Sting

The best battle would have to be the Third Battle, or the Glorious Battle, in the war of the jewels. It was the first (and last) battle in which the elves had complete victory, and it resulted in the seige of Agband, which lasted 400 years, and in which Beleriand saw relative peace. Sorry I started the topic off so bad. I thought people would just assume that I was talking about battles in the books.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:15 AM   #20
ongivan

Sting

The Nirnaeth Arnoediad. 'nuff said.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:37 AM   #21
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like when trees come to Helm's Deep and when Legolas and Gimli compete on who is going to kill more Orcs. My favorite scene of them all is when Eowyn and Merry kill the Nazgul captain.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:09 PM   #22
twinkle
Animated Skeleton

twinkle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i like the battle of the gladden fields....
but mainly because i had a wonderful storyteller tell it to me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

other than that helm's deep yes....
all other battles i'm not too familiar with yet....but hope to be in due time [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

twinkle
Old 03-24-2002, 02:43 PM   #23
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Heehee: I love it when Legolas and Gimli were competing to see who killed how many orcs too...they'd BETTER have that in the next movie!
Yeah, I've seen that bookAtlas... but I didn't have the money to buy it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]...I will though, for Birthday/Christmas...something

And, strangely, I can imagine all the battles...too many war movies I guess and too much CNN...Oh well
Old 03-28-2002, 04:38 AM   #24
Nice-Smeagol
Animated Skeleton

Nice-Smeagol has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My favourite battle is the final battle of the 2nd Age, the Last Alliance. I like it because it provides an excellent starting point for the Third Age. Everyone thinking evil had been vanquished for ever and all that, how wrong could they be...... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I'm evil I know, but hey, who's gonna stop me! Bwahahahahahahaha!
Nice-Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:15 PM   #25
Feanor_of_the_Noldor

Sting

In my opinion, the greatest battle in all the history of middle earth was when Fingolfin rode to the gates of Angband and challenged Morgoth to direct combat. Fingolfin nearly won the battle, and was the only person ever to challenge morgoth hand to hand. Plus he did all that without the help of the Valar.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:56 PM   #26
Dior
Wight

Sting

That wasn't really a battle, but ok.