Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM   #121
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

After speaking with the members of the company, Lenwe had returned to his lodgings, packing and repacking his little bag. He sternly told himself to forget what Elentari and Ewinda had told him. The ship bound for the West had glided into the harbor and would be leaving tomorrow morning at the first hint of dawn. Once more, he promised himself that he would be on that ship. It had been too long since he'd seen his parents, his brothers or, even more critically, his beloved wife who'd been slain by Orcs in Mirkwood some two hundred years before. Surely, by now, she would have left the house of Mandos to live in the Blessed Lands.

So what was he doing sitting here worrrying about a little band of travellers who had the audacity to think they could casually march into the mountains and slay a dragon with the paltry number of swords available for their use? It was utterly ridiculous. The members of the band didn't even know where they were going. At least he'd scouted out the area, and had a fairly decent idea of where that cursed dragon was hiding his head.

Lenwe pushed these thoughts to the back of his mind and turned into bed early, hoping to find rest. But he soon found himself flipping from side to side totally unable to settle down to sleep or to forget the topic that he'd discussed with Elentari at dinner. He kept seeing shadowed images of Elves and dwarves held captive by a great scaly creature with huge talons and sharp teeth and a heart that was filled with darkness. Lenwe caught another glimpse of parents, wives, and children sitting in their homes, grieving because they feared they'd never see their loved ones again who'd been hauled off from their daily chores to the dragon's lair. Unable to sleep with such distubing pictures in his head, Lenwe got up from his bed and went over to the table, pulling out some charts of the region which he'd casually tossed aside thinking that he would never need them again. He lit his lamp and unrolled the maps, extending out his right hand and tracing the familiar outline of the Blue Mountains with the tip of his index finger. Then he sat down, picked up a pen, and began scratching out notes, carefully calculating the best route which would take the band safely to the craggy peaks and caves where the dragon's lair could be found.

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM   #122
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Novnarwen's post

Lostlondwen didn't talk more to Rowan that evening. Soemhow she felt ashamed. After a while she decided that it wasn't shame after all, it was just a wierd feeling. She hadn't proposed to him that he was going to die. Had she? Lostlondwen shuddered. She had absolutely no intension of scaring him, or whatever she had done. In a way she regret even mentioning death. She gave a sigh and consentrated on the conversation around the table with Lenwe instead

When the dark grew and the Inn's common room emptied the company still sat at their table, talking to eachother. Lenwe, shared his knowledge about the Blue Mountains, and they all seemed interested in him, joining them. However, Lenwe was supposed to leave these shores tomorrow, going to Valinor. And begging him to stay for their sakes, would be wrong. But this elf knew all about the paths they should take. There was no doubt that the company could need one like him, now when they were getting so close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they said their good night's, Lostlondwen was very tired. It had been a long day, and yet the worst part of their perilious journey was yet to come. Nevertheless, was Lostlondwen more happy now, then she had been, for a long time. This Lenwe, had made it all seem so simple. She knew of course, that it wasn't so. But anyhow she felt that something was about to happen, something that could give the company in a way, an advantage they had been longing for.

"Good night Ewinda." Lostlondwn watched Ewinda step in to her room. She was alone now. The small narrow hall was empty. Only Lostlondwen wandered there among the many doors to the different rooms. And she almost passed her own room in the dark.

As she went to bed moments later, she lighthearted. Everything would be okay, she muttered to herself. She knew it in her heart. The coming battle against this dragon, would not be her last.

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #123
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elentari's heart sank when she had heard Lenwe talk of sailing. So many supressed memories emerged in her mind that she couldn't think straight, and so seemed very quiet. Why did the elves sail at all? Elentari had learnt that happiness could not be gained from where you were, but through friends and family.

As she talked with Lenwe over dinner, Elentari managed to keep thoughts of the Havens and what they meant out of her mind. She would not insult the elf by telling him not to go - it just wouldn't be right, for it is each elf's individual choice whether or not to leave.

The group moved on from the Havens next morning, and Lenwe joined them. He led the way, for he knew the way to the Blue Mountains better than any present. When they finally arrived, all were amazed by the extremety of the mountains. Before them stood many mountains a great deal taller than they had expected to find.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:07 AM   #124
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Finishing up his discussion with Elentari, Lenwe put down a light meal of bread and ale, then hastily trotted out towards the stable with a duffel slung across his back. He carefully tied the bag onto the saddle and tightened the horse's girth as well as tucking in a number of scrolls that should help them find their way along the twisted and perilous mountain paths. The companions filtered in a few at a time, collecting their gear for the journey and taking a moment to nod or extend their hand in greetings to acknowledge the newcomer in their midst.

Other than that, the stableyard was quiet. The casual banter and joking that usually marked the start of each day was conspicuously absent. Everyone seemed to be lost in their own musings, weighing the dangers of the road or trying to guess what chance the band had to reach the hidden lair, best the mighty wyrm and actually rescue the hostages.

Lenwe was no exception. He sprinted forward, caught hold of Falir's mane and gracefully threw his leg over the horse's back, all the while wondering why he had ever agreed to be part of such a foolhardy errand. His keen eyes caught the distant movement of the swan ship in the harbor as she unfurled her sleek white sails and Elves began to stream on board, turning around and waving their goodbyes to folk waiting on the quay. He should be down there, he mused. Yes, he should be the one leaning against the railing and saying his farewells to Middle-earth, then sailing on to a land of peace and beauty. For a moment he felt an irrational urge to spur his mount onward down towards the harbor, and come clattering up the gangplank just before the ship slipped her moorings and sailed.

But something inside held him back. It seemed that everywhere he looked, things were becoming more difficult for those remaining here. Not just for his own people, but for Men and Dwarves as well. Shadows of darkness and intimations of evil kept rearing their heads at the most unlikely times. This attack by cold drakes, both this one and others, seemed to be but the latest omen in a whole string of untoward events. Lenwe had no idea what was behind all these things, but it was hard to believe they weren't related somehow.

The easy thing to do was to turn his back and sail to Valinor. But was this the right thing? He had certain small skills as a scout and could find his way almost anywhere in Middle-earth. He was also reputed to be a wonderful teacher. Just lately, he'd gotten a request from King Thraindul, Lord of the Woodland Realm, to come east and teach tracking skills to some of the younger folk, including his own son Legolas. At first, he'd dismissed that request out of hand, only intent on setting sail to the West.

But just maybe, he would be doing his people more good by staying here and trying to pass on some of his skills as a scout to younger Elves like Legolas rather than simply turning his back on the hardship and strife. He vowed to carry out his promise to Elentari and to think more carefully about where his true path lay.

As the band filed out the stableyard heading towards the foothills and past the waiting ships, Lenwe glanced down at the harbor and laughed. Maybe there was some purpose in this madness, and it was up to him to find it. He spurred his horse onward, coming abreast of Elentari, turning to flash a broad smile at her. "Win or lose, we'll give this beast a taste of his own medicine! Come quickly on and up. We have much ground to cover." With this, the company reached the first of the foothills, and disappeared around the bend. The town was lost behind them as they looked ahead at the great looming peaks of the ancient Ered Luin.

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #125
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dawn was yet to break when the company had already risen. Their second day up on the mountains was beginning bright but cold with a grim wind from north-east. Elves, Men and Dwarves broke their fast in silence. They dared to lit no fire fearing that the dragon might see it.

Gráin sat alone, a half-eaten slice of bread in his hand, and gazed west and north, up the towering slopes of Ered Luin. There’s much climbing to be done yet, he mused cheerlessly while taking another bite of his bread and flushing it down with a sip of water. And to what end? –Doom and death…

Gráin turned away from what lay ahead and sought the pale eastern horizon with a sudden longing. Then, against the lightening sky, he saw the grey figure of his brother and his longing changed to determination. No greater doom can befall us… But death shan’t take us! We will get back home!

Vráin felt a tickle in his neck and raised his head with a sigh. That feeling had become only too familiar during the past days. He tried to steer his unseeing eyes towards Farin beside him.

"Gráin’s staring at me, isn’t he?" "Let me guess: with worried look?" he added with a grin.

Farin's heart jumped at the sight of Vráin’s smile. Only now she realized how much she’d missed it. She turned around and indeed; Gráin’s keen eyes were fixed on Vráin in deep thought.

"Yes he is. But I’d say he looks determined rather than worried."

"Uh-oh, that doesn’t bode well! The combination of my brother and determination usually means trouble to me." Vráin’s laughter was low but clear and cordial as he stood up; "We’d better get out of his reach before it’s too late. Come Farin, show me the way!"

Farin sprang up and took Vráin’s outstretched arm. "Well, now he looks a bit worried," she said to him with a sparkle in her eyes.

What the…? Where are they going now? We should be leaving in a moment…

"Nice to see your brother is feeling better. But I hope they don’t go far as we are about ready to set off."

Gráin’s musings were interrupted by a deep voice. He turned to meet the stare of grey Elven eyes, keen but kind. With a nod he gestured Lenwe to sit down beside him.

"They can’t go far that way. See, there’s that cliff and then a dead-end." Gráin pointed towards where the landing suddenly and steeply fell into an abyss. Then he grinned and continued. "Anyway, if you’d just call 'Let’s go and hunt the dragon!' I’ll warrant my brother would be striding in the vanguard before the echoes of your shout died away."

Gráin looked at Lenwe and then behind him where the mountain slopes loomed, still wrapped in night-blue shadows - and his smile faded.

"Tell me," he began; "what hope do we have?"

Lenwe’s eyes followed Gráin’s gaze. "We will find the road if that’s what you mean. But how to beat the dragon… I thought you knew the answer to that question: Dwarves have had dealings with these beasts in the past if I remember correctly."

Gráin fingered his flagon in silence, trying to recall everything he knew about dragons. At last he spoke up:

"His eyes… Eyes are his weak spot. And the skin in his chest is softer than elsewhere: a mighty blow might pierce it. But it has to be well-aimed – straight to the heart."

"There you have it!" Lenwe exclaimed; "Maybe faint hope but hope still." Then he took a scroll from his pack and unfolded it in his lap. "Now this is the road we’ll take…"

Vráin and Farin stopped at the verge of the cliff. Farin leaned forward and peeked over the edge into the black chasm.

"That’s one mighty fall! I’d…" Farin started but ceased as Vráin suddenly squeezed her hand tighter. She raised her eyes at his face and was frightened by his grave expression.

"Farin…" Vráin stammered, not knowing how to begin. Then he took a deep breath and said the words that first came to his mind: "Farin, I know your secret."

In the deep silence that followed Vráin was sure he could hear the mountain cracking under him. Farin’s hand felt cold in his clutch. Then he couldn’t take it anymore but took an abrupt turn towards Farin – and nearly slipped over the brim!

Only Farin’s quick action saved him. As Vráin swayed on one foot she leaned backwards and pulled with all her strength. She fell on her right side and Vráin came stumbling down, partly over her.

For a short while they didn’t move or speak. Then Farin let out a muffled 'Ouch', rather to say something than because she was in pain. Vráin scrambled up, red-faced and murmuring apologies. "No harm done" Farin muttered in return and drew herself up, taking a quick look towards the camp. No-one seemed to have noticed the little incident.

Vráin cleared his throat and began anew. "Farin, I know who you are or what you are… I mean…" he paused again. What do you mean? he asked himself – and suddenly he knew the answer as if someone had called it out loud.

"You know what I mean. And now I say this: I’m glad that I was blinded for now my mind has opened. I have seen deeper: I have seen the thoughts of my heart… And – though without knowing it – you have let me glimpse at your heart as well. Don’t feel guilty! You couldn’t have stopped what was meant to happen. And as I said I’m now grateful for that blow." Vráin swallowed and his palms sweated. "It brought you near me...and I wouldn’t change that for anything."

Farin felt it difficult to breath and she could hear her heart throb wild. She gazed up but tears veiled her sight. And then she saw Vráin like Vráin saw her – without seeing. She felt him close, his hands over hers, trembling… All was clear to her and to him as if they had proclaimed their love to the whole world from that very mountain; cried the message of joy into the wind for it to bear far and wide.

And just then there came a new wind: a fresh breeze from West over the sea and the mountain. Like a lost friend returned it kissed their cheeks and whispered to them:

"Open your eyes to the beauty of the world and a new dawn - together."

Farin turned towards east to witness the beginning of a new day. First golden rays of the sun peeked over the horizon and she gasped at the sight of the most beautiful sunrise she had ever seen.

"Vráin…our day has come." She managed to breathe. Vráin squeezed her hand as he once more turned to her and spoke:

"Yes, my love. So I see." And his grey eyes, filled with tears of bliss, gazed straight at her;

"I see!"

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #126
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Orofaniel's post

Lenwe had now joined the company, which Ewinda thought highly of. The elf had sacrificed to meet his family and freinds again in the Undying Lands. She and the company were very pleased about this, and Ewinda almost felt that she owed him. "That ws a very brave and thoughtful thing to do," she had said to Lostlondwen as soon as he announced that he was joining their company. Lostlondwen had agreed of course.

The next morning they were all leaving the Havens heading for The Blue Mountains. Lenwe had held his word of course, and followed them. Oh, well it was more like the company following him. He was very knowledgable about the Mountains and the area surrounding it. When the reached it, they were all amazed by it. It was much taller than they had expected.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

The next day they felt the bright wind from the north-east blowing softly in their faces.

They had all taken a break and all of them seemed to be in deep thoughts, it was probably their minds that were troubled, which was understandable. Ewinda however didn't know what to think. She only felt that they had yet more to climb and they had to do it quickly if they wanted to see any of the captives alive. Poor Lostlondwen and Alcyávëiel. It couldn't be easy thinking that your husband or your mother was in such a danger.

Ewinda was sitting quite by herself, when she heard a sound that she thought was Vráin's voice. It had to be! Was he in danger? She ran to her feet, towards the others and saw that Vráin was perfectly safe. He was sitting by Farin, but there was somthing with him that seemed different. Then she heard it again:

"I see!"

Ewinda hurried ower to him. She had understood what he'd just said. She thought so at least. He was not blind anymore, he could see. She felt such a joy streaming in her, she was so happy for the dwarf that she started to laugh, quite loud.

The dwaves, Vráin and Farin, lookd at her in suspicion. "You can see Vráin!" she almost yelled! "Isn't that worth a good laugh???" "I mean a joyful laugh," she added quickly.

Elentari Greenleaf's post

Elentari was thinking much the same as Callo. I should have left earlier, she thought. She looked up at Lostlondwen. If only I hadn't let us waste so much time along the way. The families of those around me, they are at risk. Have I been selfish? If it were my family perhaps I would have destroyed that dragon by now. Elentari sighed. And now their lives are at risk. They are not fighters, not the fighters I should have bought along. I will have their lives in my hands in the final battle, for they will be relying on me to guide them in a fight.

Elentari looked over at Lenwe. But perhaps Lenwe will help me. He seems to know his way around here so well, and therefore he would be the best of my companions to consult on where we should attack from. Elentari's eyes now shifted to Grain. The dwarves, they would know the best plan of attack, and which weapons to use. They have far more knowledge of dragons than I.

Elentari now looked over to where Vrain and Farin stood. Elentari had noticed a change in their relationship lately. It was odd, and impossible, but Elentari felt that Vrain and Farin were becoming more than just friends. She stood, for she had been sitting, and walked towards the two, for it was high time they were leaving again. Elentari must have walked very quietly, for the two dwarves did not hear her approach, so she heard the last of their conversation.

"Vráin…our day has come."
"Yes, my love. So I see. I see!"

Elentari gasped. Love? Could it be? Could Farin be a woman? But when Vrain said he could see, Elentari was over joyed and ran foward.

"Vrain! I'm so glad you can see again," she said with a smile spreading across her face. "I would have felt so bad if your eyesight had never returned."

Vrain and Farin blushed as Elentari ran forward. Had she heard their conversation? If she had, there was no going back now. Farin's secret would be out in the open.

"I thought there was something going on between you two," Elentari said. "Don't worry Farin. If it is not your wish for your secret to be revealed, it is not for me to reveal it."

"Thank you Elentari," said Farin.

"And Vrain," Elentari said facing him once more. "You should hurry along and tell Grain that your eyesight has returned to you. He will be overjoyed."

Annunfuiniel's post:

The "charges" of Ewinda and Elentari had left Vráin and Farin quite speechless. They just stood there, together hand in hand and smiled.

Ewinda had ran to them and then off, to tell the happy news to Lostlondwen and Alcyávëiel who had gone some way down the eastern slope and were out of reach of hearing. She obviously had not heard Vráin’s incautious words.

But Elentari had heard them and Farin feared, quite justly, that she would sent her home like she had threatened to send Vráin. Their relief was great when Elentari smiled and spoke soothingly;

"I thought there was something going on between you two," she said. "Don't worry Farin. If it is not your wish for your secret to be revealed, it is not for me to reveal it."

Farin somehow managed to mutter a 'Thank you' while tears of joy and relief rolled down her cheeks.

"And Vráin, you should hurry along and tell Gráin that your eyesight has returned to you. He will be overjoyed." Elentari continued and Vráin slammed his palm to his head. Of course! Stupid dwarf!

"I’ll do that right away!" Vráin exclaimed and ran off towards where his brother sat with Selvren. Before Vráin had time to call out his news Gráin turned around, as if urged by some outer will. In a blink he gasped, stood up and yelled:

"Vráin! You…your eyes…!"

The brothers stood, face to face and smiling though tears gleamed in their eyes. Then Vráin took Gráin’s trembling hands and nearly whispered:

"Thank you, brother. Without you I would have been lost…" Shadow of pain swept over his face but then it was gone – nothing but a memory.

"No, thank you… for being my brother…" Gráin stammered. But then his expression changed too and he laughed out loud. "My brother can see! Come all and praise this day!"

[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #127
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Alcyávëiel sat down on the mountain. They cool breeze blew her golden hair. Lostlondwen sat next to Alcyávëiel looked at her.

“Are you ok?” Lostlondwen asked looking at her face. Her depressed expression was sad to look upon. She sat in silence for many minutes.

“Alcyávëiel?” She looked up.

“What are you thinking about?” Lostlondwen asked.
“Do you think any of the captives have a chance to survive?” Alcyávëiel asked, tears glistening in her eyes.

“I hope so. My mother was captured and all I want is to see her again. That’s why I joined this quest.” Lostlondwen said slowly. “Why do you ask?”

“Then you and me are alike in some ways as my husband Iarlhach had been captured. I too joined this quest to find them but there seems little hope within me to believe he is still alive”.
“Don’t worry well find them” Lostlondwen said trying to comfort Alcyávëiel.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rowan sat alone next to a large rock staring to the east. A soft wind blew from the west. Neither birds nor animals dared to tread as far as the company did for soon they would be on the dragon’s doorstep. Rowan turned his gaze west and he saw the first light of day creep over the vast ocean.

The first rays of dawn didn’t help to kindle hope within him. To him it was hopeless. They were so near to the dragon. How would we ever get past the dragon and save the captives? Were the captives even alive still? He knew that many of his companions only agreed to come on this quest so they could rescue their loved ones.

The dragon, how were we ever going to deal with him? They would have to put up a big fight in order to kill him. He knew that if he went in he may never come out. He doubted that they could walk into the lair and then walk out with same number of people. He just hoped that he would again see the light of day and he wished that none of their company would come to a cruel end. But in his heart he knew that it would be a foolish wish.

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 07-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #128
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Callo sat alone as many of the company were scattered abroad conversing together. It had been long that they traveled toward this land, yet to him it seemed that it had all come too soon. He wondered if he was truly ready for the danger that was about to befall him. Though then again, why wouldn't he be? After all they had gone through, after many difficulties already, this was just another roadblock in their mission. This, unfortunately, happened to be the most fearful of them all.

As Callo thought on the coming events about to take place, his mind suddenly turned to when he first heard of the mission…how he rushed to find Elentari to volunteer to go to the company. It all seemed but a continuous dream to him. More like a nightmare, He thought to himself and looked at Elentari who also seemed to be deep in thought. Flashbacks of his words to her suddenly came to his mind again.

"They are not completely lost!" Callo said smiling. Elentari gave him a queer look. "The Elves which were taken...they may not be dead. I know how it is to lose someone very close to you. Please, let me help these families out. Let me aid you on the quest to slay this dragon. I could not save my own family, but I can try to save these."

Callo suddenly broke from his thoughts. My family? He thought as he looked around at the company. Yes, it was not my family. It was theirs... their families and their friends. That is why I am here. I am ready. A short while passed by, but soon the company began to depart. Callo stood as he looked toward the mountain where the Dragon’s lair was held. Perhaps they are still alive, He thought, but then a chilling thought crossed his mind. But what if we have come too late? What if they are all gone? He paused for a moment. We can only hope, I guess.

Callo sighed and thought none more on the matter. He focused his only attention on slaying the dragon as the company set out once again on the hunt for the dragon.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #129
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Blue Mountains was before them. Their homes and families (not Lostlondwen's whole family though) were behind them. Appearantly Alcyávëiel missed her husband too. Lostlondwen sat by her just stirring at her, wondering what she was thinking. One of her loved ones was in danger. Somehow Lostlondwen didn't quite understand what she was thinking. Why?? They went through the same thing, didn't they? In a way, it was different. And yet again not. Lostlondwen couldn't quite understand nor explain that. It was just the way it was.

Alcyávëiel and Lostlondwen sat togehter. She was still watching her with great eyes. A cool breeze blew and touched Alcyávëiel's golden hair.

"Are you okey?" Lostlondwen asked. She asked this question because she knew she wasn't. Alcyávëiel didn't answer.

Lostlondwen muttered her name.
"What are you thinking about," she continued. This was actually a very hard question to answer. Maybe she asked because she didn't knew exactly herself, what she was thinking. The answer of someone else, sharing the same feeling of fear, the loss of someone they loved, would be the answer to her question too. After a few moment with silence she finally answered.

“Do you think any of the captives have a chance to survive?” she asked. Lostlondwen caught the sight of tears glistening in Alcyávëiel eyes.

“I hope so." she muttered. For a while she didn't know if she wanted to say anything more. The answer of her compamien had simply punched her in the face. The thought had always been there. Oh... there she went again. Telling herself that her mother was dead. Or perhaps not. She was sick of it. But she couldn't help it. Lostlondwen wasn't trying to feel sorry for herself, she just did, in a way. Why did she always have to think? Stop thinking she told herself, and she suddenly noticed that Alcyávëiel began to grow impatient.

"My mother was captured and all I want is to see her again." she continued. "That’s why I joined this quest.” Lostlondwen said slowly. “Why do you ask?” She knew exactly why she asked. But she couldn't help it. Lostlondwen didn't want to talk to her about this. Alcyávëiel was really nice and all. Sweet she was, it was just that Lostlondwen couldn't bare it anymore. All that fear she held in her body, all that anger. But she wasn't the only one here feeling the same. Her about-her-self thoughts were interrupted by Alcyávëiel soft voice.

“Then you and me are alike in some ways, as my husband Iarlhach had been captured. I too joined this quest to find them, but there seems little hope within me to believe he is still alive”.

“Don’t worry we'll find them” Lostlondwen said trying to comfort Alcyávëiel and in a way comforting herself.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:04 PM   #130
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Selvren hopped lightly over a narrow fissure and then, instinctively, the thought of turning back to see if Gráin could manage the crack crossed his mind. But he knew the dwarf too well to err to do so; he knew Gráin would manage the leap and also that he wouldn’t appreciate his concern in such matters. So Selvren continued walking, slowing his pace a bit but without even a peek behind. There was a heavy thud and then the sound of hurried footsteps. Gráin gained on the elf and soon took his place beside him.

Selvren glimpsed at Gráin. The dwarf plodded on, staring down at his feet. Sweat oozed on his temples and run down in small trickles, drawing dirty stripes across his dusty face. Selvren frowned but said naught sensing that the time wasn’t ripe for conversation. Instead he steered his gaze forward, first to the backs of his companions and then up, up the impending slopes that seemed to close in on him.

The company trudged in a deep, sheer-walled ravine. On their left the frowning cliffs covered them: the last defence of the unfriendly mountains. For there, beyond sight, was the dreaded goal of their long, desperate journey: one of the highest peaks of the Mountains - and the dragon’s lair.
How are we ever supposed to get up there? Selvren mused, uncharacteristically darkly. Stony ground, walls and roof, stone everywhere he looked. The overwhelming weight of the mountain seemed to fall on him and he bend under it. But his spirit still fought back. No, he wouldn’t give in! Nor would he cower when they finally faced the dragon. I’ll slay that beast with my comrades and ride home with them – or perish in the attempt. Resolution overcame desperation and Selvren felt his heart lighten. Glimpsing up he saw a strip of pale blue sky ahead and suddenly, without any particular reason, – he laughed.

Gráin was roused from his thoughts by the most unlikely sound he could think of in that time and place: a clear, heartfelt laughter. He stared at his elf friend at once with eyes wide open. Has he finally lost it? was the first and in itself quite absurd thought that came to his mind. He couldn’t hold his tongue but asked out loud: "Pray tell, what is so funny?"

"Well nothing, actually… And then again – everything. Don’t you see it?" Selvren answered. Gráin’s brow furrowed but then a smile spread to his face.

"Well, no…and then again, yes."

Vráin walked with light heart; even the bare, inhospitable cleft couldn’t cast a shadow of worry over him. Let there be a dragon or a dozen dragons, he wouldn’t mind! Now that he was able to see again he felt unbeatable.

A bright laughter from behind him sounded only right in the dwarf’s ears. 'We should hear that sound more often, don’t you think?' Vráin was about to throw the challenge to Farin but her grave, strained expression halted him.

"Farin, what is wrong?" he asked, reaching for her hand. Seeing her anguish was a far greater sorrow to him than any thought of a dragon.

Farin didn’t raise her face but pressed Vráin’s hand tight. At length she spoke.

"I haven’t told this to anyone but…but my brother, Perin, he’s one of the captives…" Finally she forced herself to look up and Vráin nearly drew back seeing the sudden flame of rage in her eyes. "The damned beast took my brother!"

But the moment passed and Farin’s fury was quenched by doubt and despair. "I’m afraid, Vráin…" she whispered; "Not for myself but for my brother. My hope is failing…"

Farin fell silent and turned back to face the road, stubbornly trying to hide her tears. Helplessness and worry settled heavy on Vráin’s heart and dumbfounded him. For a fleeting moment the light of day was lost to him. I’m not going to this doom alone; the ones I love the most are walking with me. What if I lose Farin or Gráin? But despite the cloud hanging over him he didn’t waver:

"I will go with you till the end and should I perish on the way… then so be it. Don’t you see? There is no turning back – for any of us…"

His own words, spoken in despairing rage, came back to him. But now he rephrased the thought in his mind. There was no turning back for any of them – until the dragon was beaten! And he would take care that nothing would happen to his brother or his beloved.

This resolution made the cloud passed and Vráin’s tongue was freed. He turned to Farin and gently wiped off a glimmering tear from her cheek.

"Don’t hide your tears from me, my love; don’t hide anything from me. And despair not – for haven’t we seen that anything is possible?"

Gráin saw Vráin and Farin walking ahead, just outside the reach of hearing. His brother’s comforting gesture didn’t go unnoticed to him and a sudden, inexplicable doubt crossed his mind and reflected on his face before he could hide it.

"You’re not going to lose your brother, not to the dragon - nor to Farin." Selvren’s voice broke the silence and the elf's keen eyes observed Gráin’s expressions, noting his embarrassment with some satisfaction.

"What…? How…?" Gráin stammered and nearly stumbled to a rock; "Do you read me now like an open book?" Selvren laughed again but Gráin was determined to get some answers out of him. "So you know about Farin?"

"Of course. I may be carefree but not stupid or blind. Even one word can tell a whole story - and I’ve had many talks with Farin, like with you and your brother. I can’t say I know everything about you but probably more than you’d guess."

Gráin pondered these words for a while before answering, with a grin:

"Well, Selvren the Seer! I’d sure like to learn your secret to such observation skills. Maybe then I could hope to follow my brother’s train of thought!"

Suddenly the silently laughing duo nearly bumped into Vráin and Farin who had halted without them noticing. All sounds ceased and an anticipating silence surrounded the company. They had reached the end of the ravine.

To an unpractised eye the road seemed to arrive to a dead end; a sheer wall of rock. But Lenwe knew the ways of these mountains and he had not erred on their route. From the bottom of the gulch between huge boulders led a rocky, barely passable course up to the mountain top.

The ascent was exhausting. At times the travellers had to climb on all fours and haul themselves up the nearly vertical walls. Small and some larger rocks came loose under their feet or hands and fell off on the companions coming in the rear. Save for couple of 'Ouch's and 'Ai's no words were spoken during the last part of their journey.

Suddenly a whisper went through the company coming from the van down to Gráin and Selvren in the tail. "Final steps – the peak is near!"

And then, when no-one could have endured one more tread or push, they came to the top - in the hour of a blood-red sunset.

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #131
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
The Eye

They had all climbed for a very long time indeed. The road was harsh and sometimes they had all been climbing on all fours. Lenwe of course, had lead them all the way and he seemed to know what he was doing. A silence had been brought over the comapny and was only interrupted by a few "auch's" and "Oi"s" now and then.

They all felt that they lost their grip when sand and rock rolled down the mountain side, which Ewinda wasn't to pleased about. She was quite afraid of falling down, well no one could blame her after the "pit" accident. She had hurt her back and she wasn't ready for another injury. But then a thought crossed her mind; How on earth were they going to slay the dragon and come out alive? She didn't seem to find the answer either, something that she found very dissturbing during the climbing.

Suddely her thoughts were interuppted by a wispher that said they'd reached their final step, they had reached the peak after a long and hard jurney. The sun was blood red and it shone upon the company.

They all let out a short "yes" and "fianally" when the last two, Selvren and Grain, had come safe up to the peak. Lenwe looked around and so did Elentari. Ewinda herself was to tired to do anything so she just sat down waiting for "orders". A long silence was brought ovr the company again.

"What now?" Ewinda asked quite loud so everyone could hear it. "Oh, well I know what.....we are going to slay the dragon," she added quickly. "I mean, should we set up a camp or something, or would that be follish?" She continued.

"I think it would drawn to much attention, the dragon may see us, it would almost be as camping at the dragon's doorstep." Lenwe said. "But we are all tired, so we must come up with something and find a place where we can gain our streghts."

All gave short nods to show that they agreed. They were all extremly tired and they wouldn't mind to get something to eat either.

"Let's have a look around," Elentari said suddenly.

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 07-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #132
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

With the dragon's harsh words ringing in his ear, Perin rose slowly to his feet, then stomped straight towards the door of the cave. The wyrm's final admonition had been curt and direct. If Perin made one false move or attempted to escape, one of the captives would meet their death. His task was to go out and gather firewood, making several trips back and forth between the cave and the few remaining trees and shrubs, all scrubby and stunted, that grew along the base of the rocky ledge.

Usually the beast flew out to gather the logs that were needed to keep the huge blazes going in the interior of the cave. But tonight the beast had found some poor victim in a distant coastal village. He had carried the body back to devour. The stench and blood in the cave was truly hideous and Perin was glad to be free to walk away from the mess, even though he was only employed as a beast of burden for lugging wood back at the dragon's bidding.

Plus, without the firewood, they would not be able to do the tasks the wyrm had set for them; the beast would have no reason whatsoever to keep them alive. Best go out and try and gather as much wood as he could. With that in mind, Perin trudged wearily out the entrance, glad to grip a small hatchet for chopping wood in his hand if only for a moment and be able to glimpse the distant stars.

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-06-2003, 09:37 AM   #133
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lenwe had lead the way and he was quite good, finding the safest way possible. Only a few stones rolling down, but it had been a piece of cake, comparing to the other dangers the company had met so far. No one or nothing was going to ruin this now. Not when they were so close.

Lostlondwen didn't realise they had reached the peak. The climbing had been exhausting and she was tired and hungry. This stage of the journey was totally different, then were they had been before. The thought of the great evil lurking inside of this very mountain was a burden itself. It was almost like she could smell it. Or even see the evil in the dragon's eyes.

"What now?" Ewinda asked quite loud so everyone could hear it. "Oh, well I know what.....we are going to slay the dragon," she added quickly. "I mean, should we set up a camp or something, or would that be follish?" She continued.
Lostlondwen looked at Ewinda in great suprise. She sounded wierd, like she was afraid. Lostlondwen was afraid too. But she had never heard this woman sound so... desperate.

Lenwe looked around and said in a determined voice: "I think it would drawn to much attention, the dragon may see us, it would almost be as camping at the dragon's doorstep." The company seemed to agree. And all of them gave a nod at the same time after Lenwe finished his second sentence: "But we are all tired, so we must come up with something and find a place where we can gain our strenghts."

Lostlondwen couldn't express how pleased she was. Finally, she thought. Lostlondwen found a fit place and sat down. She leaned against a big stone and closed her eyes. Few moments later she heard Ewinda seating herself at the left side of her. "No disturbance, please," Lostlondwen muttered through her sealed lips. She only heard Ewinda's short laugh, and then there was silence.

"Let's have a look around," Elentari said suddenly.

That announcement pierced through Lostlondwen's mind. She couldn't believe it. "Not now," she muttered. Lostlondwen opened her eyes and stirred right in the eyes of Ewinda. "Stop whining," she comanded and dragged her friend up and made her follow her over to the others.

"Whining? Me? Never." She gave a sigh. "Never heard of that," she continued and smiled at Ewinda.

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #134
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

The company led by Lenwe had finally scaled the mountain. After what seemed like an eternity they had finally reached the peak. It was a long and hard journey upon the peak but Rowan knew that the harder journey would be getting into the dragon’s lair. Rowan sat on the peak; they were at the dragon’s front door. He could see that the hearts of many were troubled and heavy.

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Child's post:

Instead of attempting to scale the last of the massive grey cliffs which stood between them and the dragon's lair, they'd pulled back to look for a safe place to camp. They'd left the horses tethered on a well-hidden ledge some twenty-five feet below; here the slope boasted a small, secret cave where their animals and gear could be brought inside and stored. This seemed as good a place as any to halt for the night.

Everyone desperately needed a few hours of sleep and Elentari was likely to require some time the next morning to assess the situation and figure out exactly what to do. Even if the Elf managed to decide on her course of action, it would not be safe for anyone to go out until after sunset, when dark shadows would provide some cover to hide their movements from the dragon's keen eye. Confusing his sense of smell was another matter altogether, and not something that anyone in the company had given any thought to before.

As the companions pulled back on the ledge and began taking out the few meager pieces of journey bread remaining in their packs, Lenwe quietly excused himself and set out under cover of night to get a closer look at the sheer walls of the cliff to see if it had any footholds and also to scrutinize the outside of the cave and determine where the opening was.

After what seemed like an hour of patient climbing, gradually going upward from one small slippery niche to the next, he reached a place where there was simply no further he could go without the aid of a companion or ropes that could act as a support. Before he inched his way back down, he craned his neck upward, staring up and squinting, trying to take in as much of the landscape as he could.

Much of what he saw did not surprise him: the continuing upward ascent of sheer walls, the large hole that marked the one and only entrance to the cave, and the scrubby ground foliage that ran along the topmost peak, half hiding the lair from curious eyes. Then he turned and peered even higher, straining to see the very top of the cave.

What he glimpsed was such a shock that he nearly lost his handhold, threatening to topple off the side of the mountain. He strained again to be sure he was actually seeing things right. Over the roof of the cave was a thick plume of black smoke rolling upward, not the tiny wisps of a campfire but a column that appeared to be as large as a giant treetrunk and blazing far upward into the night sky. What was a dragon doing with a fire in his cave? And why a fire of such amazing proportions? Surely this couldn't be intended simply for cooking.

None of it made sense to Lenwe. This was no fire-breathing monster but a cold-drake with sharp talons and teeth who certainly did not have the ability to use his claws in such a clever fashion to harness the power of the sun or the friction that comes from rubbing sticks together. The fire must have been started by one of the captives, undoubtedly at the dragon's command.

Lenwe was about to climb down and tell Elentari of his discovery when his eyes swept across the lower part of the ledge where he saw something even more startling that caused him to jump back with relief and surprise. There, standing on the narrow precipice where a few spindly trees were growing straight out of the rock was a dwarf of fairly slender build with a long grey beard touched with a bit of brown in places. He stood beside a large pile of firewood, holding a small hatchet in his hand, and was attempting to climb out on the limb of the tree to try and gather even more. Lenwe felt his heart drop, as the dwarf looked hastily downward from his lofty perch and stared straight into his eyes.

The two figures stood staring at each other from their distant perches. There was no way that either of them could bridge the gap of sheer rock and cliff that separated them. Lenwe raised his hand in acknowledgment, then slowly backed down the rock, and rushed back to camp to tell Elentari that there was at least one captive alive and well.

Elven Maiden's post:

Alcyávëiel sat alone. She was tired as everyone else was. She thought back to the day when Elentari had dismissed the dwarf brothers. She remembered Vráin’s words

“I will go with you till the end and should I perish on the way… then so be it. Don’t you see? There is no turning back – for any of us…"

These words echoed in her mind. She wanted to turn back right now but she couldn’t. The day she was accepted to go on the quest she had known that she couldn’t turn back. Her husband was in danger and she knew that she had to save him even if she perished in the end. Now she didn’t care if she did. She knew in her heart that she might die. She had to start what she finished.

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #135
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari's post: Conversation between Elentari and Lenwe

Elentari listened carefully to what Lenwe told her. A captive being alive meant there could well be others alive too.

"So you say you saw a dwarf?" Elentari asked.

"Yes," replied Lenwe. "He looked just like Vrain. There was a great amount of smoke coming from above the cave."

"There must be a hole then, for the smoke to escape out of. Did you see where the dragon slept?"

"No."

"Then our way in could well be through the smoke hole. However, being a fire there it is too dangerous. The fire needs to be put out - we need someone on the inside."

Lenwe paused for a moment thinking, but swiftly came up with the answer.

"The dwarf!" he said. "Perhaps he could somehow put it out."

"That's the perfect solution," said Elentari, but her smile left her face. "But it is too risky."

"He would not be at risk, Elentari," piped up Vrain who had been listening. "If that dwarf is as much like me as you say, he'll have fighting spirit and the cunning to get away with it!"

"Then someone must meet with him." Elentari turned to face Lenwe once more. "I need to see the cave and the smoke hole."

"I will show you the way," said Lenwe rising to his feet.

Ewinda stood and followed Elentari and Lenwe as they left the camp.

"Let me come too Elentari," she said.

"No. Stay here."

There was to be no argument, for Elentari's tone of voice settled it.

Orofaniel's post: Ewinda overhears a conversation and reacts strongly.

Lenwe had almost been running down towards the camp. He had seen something it was said, and that he had indeed. Elentari was waiting anxious while Lenwe came down the mountain side.

"So you say you saw a dwarf?" Elentari asked. Ewinda was listening carefully; so was the rest of the Company. But some of them stood too far away to hear anything at all. Ewinda however heard it, and she was desperately waiting for a reply.

"Yes," replied Lenwe. And Ewinda finally got her answer. The time between the question and the answer seemed to last an eternity. "He looked just like Vrain. There was a great amount of smoke coming from above the cave." As Lenwe continued, Ewinda was still listening.

The conversation between Lenwe and Elentari continued. "There must be a hole then, for the smoke to escape out of. Did you see where the dragon slept?"

"No." answerd Lenwe quickly.

"Then our way in could well be through the smoke hole. However, being a fire there it is too dangerous. The fire needs to be put out - we need someone on the inside."

Lenwe paused for a moment thinking. Ewinda waited again, but swiftly he came up with the answer.

"The dwarf!" he said. "Perhaps he could somehow put it out." Now Ewinda was concentrating real hard to follow their words. It was like their voices didn't reach her anymore, so she walked towards them, unnoticed of course, and tried to hear the next part.

"That's the perfect solution," said Elentari, but her smile left her face. "But it is too risky." Risky, Ewinda thought. That may be our only chance! They'd have to do it, it might be their only way in!

Suddenly Vráin, who had also been listening piped up; "He would not be at risk, Elentari. If that dwarf is as much like me as you say, he'll have fighting spirit and the cunning to get away with it!"

"Then someone must meet with him." Elentari turned to face Lenwe once more. "I need to see the cave and the smoke hole." And so do I, thought Ewinda. She was eager to get to the cave now. The captives may not have much time left, they could be killed any time.

"I will show you the way," said Lenwe rising to his feet.

Ewinda followed Elentari and Lenwe of course, as they left the camp. She was going to ask if she could join them, something she was quite sure Elentari would accept.

"Let me come too Elentari," she said. But there was something in Elentari's eyes that wasn't positive for Ewinda's sake.

"No. Stay here." She said quietly.

It was like a punch in her stomach, she couldn't join them, something she wanted badly.

"We are just going to check it out, the company will follow afterwards when it's time," she continued comforting to lighten up Ewinda's heart.

There was to be no argument, for Elentari's tone of voice settled it; that Ewinda knew.

Orofaniel's post: Ewinda speaks with a friend and makes a rash decision

She went back to the camp heavy-hearted and her thoughts were indeed troubled. But it was a bit comforting, though, that the whole company would follow later. Ewinda however felt that she couldn't wait for that. "When is that going to be, anyway?" she said to herself. No one heard her of course.

Suddenly she came up with a clever idea; She would follow them without them noticing! But she would have to be careful, very careful indeed. What if she was caught? That would not be good. What if she was taken by the dragon, and than she would really have blown it, once and for all. The whole quest would be ruined and the other captives would probably die. And to have that on her shoulders.......She didn't know if it was worth it. Lostlondwen, whom she had been very close to during their journey, would lose her mother. Not only that; it would be because of her! And poor Alcyávëiel, she would lose her dear husband!

No she couldn't do it! She just couldn't. There was so many things that could go wrong; then again, it was only a little peek.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted. Lostlondwen was now standing right in front of her. She seemed curious and asked quickly:
"Did you hear what they were discussing?"

"Yes," Ewinda answerd with a low voice. "But don't tell anyone," she added quickly. She seemed afraid that Lostlondwen would think she had done something wrong.

But Lostlondwen didn't seem to feel that way, she just gave a smile and continued; "Well, are you going to tell me?"

"If you want to hear, I'll tell you," Ewinda answerd shortly. "Lenwe said he'd seen a captive and some smoke coming out of a cave, if I heard correctly."

Lostlondwen looked relived. "He said it looked a lot like Vráin, though." Ewinda continued quietly.

"Then there is still hope for my mother, to find her alive I mean," Lostlondwen added merrily.

"Yes," Ewinda said. She looked a bit pale though.

"And maybe not," continued Lostlondwen as though she had read Ewinda's mind.

"But you can't tell anyone, thay will know I'd been eavesdropping," Ewinda said anxiously. Lostlondwen nodded.

"What are they doing now," Lostlondwen said suddenly. She saw that Lenwe and Elentari was leaving the camp.

"They are going up for a peek, I think." Ewinda answerd. "I asked if I could join, but I was denied," she continued. She almost seemed sad. "But then again, I was thinking of following without them noticing," she added quickly.

"What?" Lostlondwen asked, she seemed suprised. "You are going to follow them?" she asked quickly.

"Well, it couldn't hurt, could it? I mean it's just for a little peek. I'll stay in the background just to see what it's like," Ewinda answered.

"Well, if you want to, I can't really stop you. But you should be careful and please don't get caught." Lostlondwen said after thinking a while. She seemed worried though.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 AM   #136
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Elentari's post: Departure from camp

The two elves made sure they climbed toward the column of smoke where they were out of sight. The smoke was too choking to get too close, so they had to make do with watching from a distance. The elves' keen eyesight showed them that there was definately space for people to get in where the smoke escaped. Now if only the fire could be put out.

Elentari heard a twig break close behind them and turned sharply.

"Who's there?"

Orofaniel's post: Ewinda follows behind

Lenwe and Elentari left the camp and started to climb toward the column of smoke at which point they were out of sight. Ewinda followed behind. She made sure she didn't make one small noise. The whole thing would be ruined if she did. As the drew nearer the smoke, the Elves in front of her stopped. The smoke seemed to choke them if they came too close at hand. They stood watching for a long time, and Ewinda followed their eyes.

Suddenly Ewinda heard a twig break close behind her. Elenatri turned. Well, now I blew it! she thought.

"Who's there?" Elentari's voice said sternly.

What was she going to do? Surrender? No she couldn't. She wouldn't be trusted by Elentari again. Well she didn't have much time to decide because Elentari was coming right towards her. Ewinda felt her face grow pale.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:26 AM   #137
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Lenwe arrived back at camp. I wonder where he’s been Alcyávëiel thought. She sat behind Lenwe and Elentari as the talked. She listened closely to what Lenwe told Elentari. She heard something about a dwarf, a captive of the dragon that was alive. Lenwe has said that he looked just like Vráin. Alcyávëiel was overjoyed at this thought. There was still hope for her husband. Alcyávëiel smiled as tears glistened in her eyes.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Rowan stood up as Lenwe came running back to camp. Lenwe and Elentari engaged in a talk almost immediately. Rowan strained to hear what they were saying but he only heard every few words.

“Alcyávëiel?” Rowan quietly as Elentari and Lenwe walked away, “Did you hear what they were saying?”

“Yes” she replied as Rowan sat down.

“Lenwe told Elentari that while he was looking around he found a captive. It was a dwarf that looked just like Vráin, he had said. There is still hope for the captives.” She said quietly but happily.

“Is that all?” Rowan asked.

“No, he also said that he had see a hole in the cave. Smoke rose from it.”

“What about the dwarf?”

“Lenwe thought that he could put out the fire, but Elentari thought it was to dangerous. Vráin said that it wouldn’t be to hard.” Alcyávëiel paused, “Elentari and Lenwe went to go look around.”

Just as Alcyávëiel finished speaking Lostlondwen showed up. Rowan was a little uneasy to be around her. He still didn’t have a good answer for her question. He walked away and sat down looking west.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"Lostlondwen," Alcyávëiel cried.

“Hi” Lostlondwen” answered back looking around.

"I've got something to tell you," Alcyávëiel continued.

"Alcyávëiel, can it wait, for one second, I've got to talk to Ewinda first," Lostlondwen said as she heard footsteps behind her.

“It’s really important” Alcyávëiel mumbled “But it can wait”. Lostlondwen got up and hurried over to Ewinda.

“I need to talk to you,” Alcyávëiel jumped at the sound of Lostlondwen’s voice, "Okay, you go first," Lostlondwen, giggled at the Elf. She sat down, beside Alcyávëiel.

"I have a feeling that they may be alive, the captives," Alcyávëiel said quickly, "I overheard a conversation, Lenwe and Elentari had," she continued.
Lostlondwen was of course happy at this news. Alcyávëiel smiled and so did Lostlondwen.

Alcyávëiel went quiet after some muttering about the conversation she had witnessed.

"Now, you go," she commanded.

"Well," Lostlondwen said and Alcyávëiel grew inpatient. "I am stunned," Lostlondwen said.

"Yeah, just stunned."

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Rowan sat watching the stars twinkle in the midnight sky. Elentari and Lenwe were gone and He didn’t see Ewinda anywhere. Lostlondwen and Alcyávëiel sat talking. Farin and Vráin were talking by the stream and Gráin sat alone.

“Fine!” a voice yelled. Rowan turned in the direction where the voice was coming from. He didn’t have to look to know that it was Vráin.

“Fine!” Farin echoed as Vráin stormed off. Rowan sat puzzled by this. What was going on? What were they fighting about?

Gráin seemed to notice the two fighting as he immediately jumped up to go talk to Vráin. Rowan just stay where he was confuzed.

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Alcyávëiel watched Lostlondwen get up and leave. In the distance she heard a faint yell of the word fine. It was Vráin. Not long after Farin echoed Vráin as he strode of.

Had they been fighting? Why were they fighting? Is everything okay?

Millions of thoughts ran though her mind as she sat their confused. She watched Gráin get up to go talk to Vráin. What is going on? She muttered.

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #138
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lostlondwen didn't really know how she had made it through the little "look-around-thingy" of theirs. She didn't even know if she had been on the 'tour'. However, Lostlondwen couldn't really understand how Lenwe could have enough strength to explore a bit more. The others stayed behind and did whatver they wanted to do. (Being careful not to reveal themselves of course.) Lostlondwen for her sake wanted to get some sleep. She hadn't slept very well the last couple of days and she now felt the result of that.

She had only been half asleep when she awoke about thirty minutes later. There were two voices speaking, having an extended conversation. Who it was, she didn't know. Lostlondwen rose and saw that Ewinda wasn't to be seen anywhere nearby. She walked a few paces and discovered Elentari and Lenwe, they both looked at her and she knew that it was a private conversation. "Sorry," she muttered, but they didn't hear her. She walked back and was surprised that Ewinda still wasn't there. Where was she?

Rowan and Alcyávëiel sat and seemed to be in a sort of discussion. Lostlondwen didn't go over to them. Her friendship with Rowan had grown a bit akward after their conversation at the Swanship Inn; she only hoped he wasn't mad at her. "Lostlondwen," Alcyávëiel cried. "Hi," she answered. She didn't really want to come over, but now she had too. "I've got something to tell you," Alcyávëiel continued. With this Rowan stood up, since he had received a tiny hint sent from Alcyávëiel that she and Lostlondwen had to talk, alone. Rowan nodded and went away. There was a pause, neither Lostlondwen nor Alcyávëiel said anything. "I've got something to tell you," she said again. Lostlondwen waited in excitement.

It was then that Lostlondwen heard footsteps a few paces away, it was Ewinda. "Alcyávëiel, can it wait, for one second? I've got to talk to Ewinda first," Lostlondwen said in a stressed voice. Alcyávëiel muttered something about the fact that it was really important but it could wait for one second. Lostlondwen was pleased with the answer and hurried over to Ewinda.

Ewinda seemed as though she had been thinking real hard, and she had something in her eyes telling Lostlondwen that she hadn't expected her dear Elf friend to stand right in front of her, when Ewinda turned around. A few paces away were Lenwe and Elentari discussiing something and Lostlondwen had the impression that they discussed something of great importance

"Did you hear what they were discussing?"
Lostlondwen said in a low voice; she was clearly eager to hear whet the other woman had to say.

Ewinda started talking about Lenwe who had seen smoke from the the Dragon's cave. According to Ewinda, Lenwe had also seen a dwarf, looking quite similar to the dwarf twins in their company.

"Then there is still hope for my mother, to find her alive I mean," Lostlondwen added merrily.

Ewinda agreed.

"And maybe not," Lostlondwen continued.

Lostlondwen wasn't allowed to tell anyone about this, Ewinda had made that clear. She respected that, but Alcyávëiel had the right to know. After all, her husband was one of the captives. Nevertheless, Lostlondwen instructed the woman not to tell anyone else.

"What are they doing now?" Lostlondwen asked suddenly. She saw that Lenwe and Elentari were leaving the camp. Ewinda told her about her plan, following without them noticing.

Lostlondwen was surprised by this statement and was quite stunned. She only managed to press a half hissed "What?" through her throat.

"Well, it couldn't hurt, could it? I mean it's just for a little peek. I'll stay in the background just to see what it's like." Ewinda answered.

Lostlondwen couldn't stop Ewinda. She really couldn't do that, so she let the woman go without another word...

A few minutes had passed after Ewinda's departure. Lostlondwen couldn't do this anymore. She had to talk to Alcyávëiel, she had the right to know. Lostlondwen walked over again to the Elf, now sitting alone.

"I need to talk to you," she said. But then she remembered, Alcyávëiel had something to talk about with her too. Alcyávëiel smiled. "Okey, you go first," Lostlondwen giggled at the Elf. She sat down, beside Alcyávëiel, and waited for her to speak. "I have a feeling that they may be alive, the captives," she said quickly. "I overheard a conversation Lenwe and Elentari had," she continued, before Lostlondwen could say anything.

Alcyávëiel seemed pleased with herself, and Lostlondwen was of course happy. She had heard it too, then. This was great, Lostlondwen hadn't broken her promise to Ewinda, and yet Alcyávëiel knew now that there was a pretty good chance that some of the captives were alive, perhaps both their loved ones.

Alcyávëiel went quiet after some muttering about the conversation she had witnessed. "Now, you go," she commanded. "Well," Lostlondwen said. Alcyávëiel grew impatient. "I am stunned," Lostlondwen said.

"Yeah, just stunned."

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #139
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Vráin watched as Elentari and Lenwe vanished into the starlit night. A dwarf that looks like me? Could it be…? he mused and turned to look for Farin.

Farin had gone to the ponies and presently Vráin saw her lead their sturdy steeds to a small mountain spring rippling nearby. She seemed to have grown curiously fond of the beasts. Vráin slipped beside her. Once again not sure how to open the conversation he absent-mindedly patted his pony’s flank. They watched as the ponies drank. Vráin crouched and took a sip too. Finally he spoke.

"Lenwe says he saw a dwarf…one of the captives; up there," Vráin gestured towards the mountain top, now like a black hollow in the midnight blue sky; "before the opening to the cave." He could sense how Farin became strained. Her eyes sought his face feverishly. "Does your brother…does he look like me?"

Farin opened her mouth to exclaim 'No!' but then she quickly snapped it shut. She took a second look at Vráin and for the first time she noted the similarities: greyish brown beard and hair, tall and slender figure for a dwarf. Yes, to a stranger they probably looked identical!

"To me you look different like day and night. But yes, I can see why others may think otherwise." Then she trembled; "Why do you ask? Did Lenwe see…" her voice failed and she couldn’t finish the sentence.

"Yes! Now I’m sure that he saw Perin. He’s alive!"

Farin didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so she did both. "He’s alive! What are we waiting for? We need to get to him, save him and the others. Why isn’t everyone ready?" Farin gasped for breath and Vráin utilized the break in her flood of speech.

"Lenwe and Elentari went to take another closer look. But I deem that’s rather useless; Elentari should have sent a scout instead to contact Perin. There seems to be a great crack in the roof of the dragon’s lair, from which billows a column of smoke. That gap might be our way in – if the fire was quenched."

"Of course! That must be done immediately!" Farin exclaimed and turned towards the looming peak leaving the ponies to manage on their own. Vráin gaped but then recovered quickly.

"Where do you think you’re goin’?" he asked, gripping her from the sleeve of her coat.

"I will go to my brother. So if you’ll excuse me…" Farin said and tried to leave again. But Vráin’s grasp held and he pulled her back.

"Don’t be a fool, that’s too dangerous. I won’t let you risk your life like that! You stay here - and I will go."

Farin’s eyes flashed at the word 'fool' and she swung round to aim a flaming gaze at Vráin. "Let go of me." Her voice was low, commanding; but she had to struggle to keep it that way as rage swelling inside of her made her want to scream. "He’s my brother and not yours: I will go."

"No." Vráin said though he let his hand fall. His voice rose menacingly; "You won’t go anywhere. For even if you could get to the top what could you do to help your brother? If the dragon should come? I’m the one to go and that’s final! If you try to leave I’ll tell everyone you’re a woman. Who’ll let you go then?"

Even through her fury Farin could see that further words were of no use and deeds would aid her no better. Their wills were equally strong but Farin had to give in in front of physical superiority. Abasement made her wrath burn hot and she no longer gave any heed to the words that she spit out.

"Fine, go then! And I hope the dragon likes his prey stupid, stubborn and uptight! Go to him and get yourself killed! Who’s the fool then?!" She took the ponies by their reins and began to drag them off, away from the camp.

"Fine!" shouted Vráin after her and turned on his heels to go back to the camp. Farin's final "Fine!" saw off his steps.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:52 PM   #140
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Ring

"Who is there," Elentari's voice asked again. She was now walking towards the place where Ewinda was hiding. Ewinda could feel the sweat streaming down her face. She stopped breathing for a minute; then Lenwe said something; "Oh, it's probably nothing." To Ewinda's relief Elentari turned and walked back in the direction where Lenwe was standing.

That was close, too close, Ewinda thought while finally breathing normally again. Elantari had now reached Lenwe but her eyes were still fixed on Ewinda's hiding place.

Elentari and Lenwe started to talk, Ewinda however couldn't read their words. But somehow she got the impression that they were planning on walking back towards the camp.

"I've got to get back there first,"she thought. "They would suspect me of something if I'm not there when they return," She was now almost crawling very silently away from the cave. Elenatri didn't seem to notice and neither did Lenwe. They were still busy talking and pointing at the cave.

She had taken a huge risk, but she still thought it was something she had to do. Even though it felt a bit wrong when she saw her companions as she was back at camp.

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

Old 07-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #141
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

All of a sudden there was a groping hand. Vráin turned around abruptly, still fuming with Farin’s words.

"What now?" he threw in – right to his brother’s face. Gráin’s expression warned him never again to start a conversation with him like that but Vráin was in no mood for such subtle hints.

"I should ask that same question from you or rather: 'What is going on with you?' The whole camp could hear you two fighting!"

"Women!" was all that Vráin could say.

"Hush it down! Farin’s secret is not yours to reveal."

"Oh what do you know about anything!" Vráin muttered and walked off, if possible in ever darker mood.

Gráin watched after him but judged it better to leave him alone for a while. Vráin needed to cool off first. Gráin knew only too well that had he gone to preach at his brother he would do just the opposite that he’d suggest.

Gráin looked around the camp and towards where the horses and ponies grazed but Farin was nowhere to be seen. He sighed and walked through the campsite, gesturing on his way to Rowan, Alcyávëiel and others that everything was fine again – though he doubted if he managed to convince anyone to believe that.

Finally Gráin came to Selvren and slumped down by his side. The elf had placed his quiver between his knees and now fiddled with the fletchings of his arrows. Wisely he did not rush the dwarf but waited for him to speak up. Gráin took Selvren's silvery longbow and tested it’s string, just to have something to do with his hands.

"Women!" Gráin suddenly blurted out; "All he can say is 'Women!'! Poor brother, he still has much to learn…" Gráin shook his head and Selvren tried to suppress a burst of laughter.

Finally Vráin saw Lenwe and Elentari return to the camp. The elves seemed troubled as they gathered the company around them. Rumours about what was going on had circled in the camp and caused confusion, to say the least. Now Elentari gave a concise account of the happenings and on what she and Lenwe had newly seen.

"So now you know our hope – and our doom if that hope should fail. What waits inside we do not know and that’s our greatest worry. We need to know more or it’ll all be a fool’s errand. We won’t take any more needless risks…yet someone has to go and contact the dwarf that we saw."

Elentari didn’t get a chance to continue when Vráin stepped forth and said solemnly:

"I will go."

So full of determination was his tone that no-one argued against him. For a moment there was a deep silence where the wind’s wailing cry in the rock fissures seemed deafening. At length Elentari broke the silence.

"So be it. What we have seen you look just like the dwarf you’re going to meet. I think that may prove an advantage though it’s not clear to me how."

Vráin turned and went to get his axe. Behind him tongues were released and the air was suddenly full of voices speaking simultaneously. But he didn’t hear them.All he could or even wanted to think of was his mission – his likely perilous yet somehow soothingly uncomplicated task.

His axe and helm lay on the ground where he had left them with his other gear and his pack. He picked up the helm and turned it in his hands. The spot where the blinding blow had struck was still clearly to be seen though Gráin had tried to fix it. Vráin put down the headpiece. A voice inside of him told him that he wouldn’t need it on this quest. After a moment of hesitation he took off his tunic, untied the leather bands of his chain-mail and let it slid to the ground with a soft chink and a heavy thud.

He shivered slightly in the cold night air before dressing again in his tunic and casting the dark blue cloak over his shoulders. Then he picked up his axe and turned to face the climb with lighter burden on his legs but not on his heart. As he lowered his eyes from the mountain peak he saw Gráin coming towards him.

"Vráin," the older brother began as he reached Vráin; "Let us not depart in wrath." Gráin spoke naught of Farin for the subject was obviously still too tender to him. Instead he put his hand on Vráin’s shoulder and anxiety was clearly to be heard in his following words. "You have grown so much during this quest. I can’t explain it but I feel it… Remember what you have learned and take care of yourself, brother."

In his haste Vráin was about to answer in his characteristic manner and the words 'As always' already formed on his lips. But a quick look at his brother’s face halted his tongue. May be that this is the last time we’ll ever see each other. As this realization finally struck Vráin he placed his own hand on Gráin’s shoulder and looked him straight in the eyes as he spoke;

"I will. Farewell, dear brother; till our next meeting…"

Vráin wasn’t altogether sure how he ever managed the sheer climb in the darkness, intensified by the smoke that came rolling down the mountain side in the now nearly windless air. But finally he peeked between two great boulders to the flat opening before the cave’s entrance. For a while all he could do was pant and watch around.
No living creature was there to be seen but from the dragon’s lair there came a faint sound of – hammering? Hammer and anvil! Vráin thought, quite fittingly; What on earth is going on over there?

But he had no time for further musings as presently he heard the sound of footsteps echoing in the tunnel behind the cave’s yawning mouth. Vráin strained to see and hear better while at the same time his right hand tightened around the handle of his axe. Suddenly the echoes died away as a grey figure stepped out and stopped under the very arch of the cave’s entry.

"Perin!" Only with great difficulty Vráin managed to smother his cry into a whisper. Wait a little longer! he told himself; He has to get further away from the cave.

Vráin watched as Perin, though nothing more than a deeper shadow among shadows, walked to a pile of firewood and picked up a small hatchet. His hands clenched the haft of the weapon and with one mighty blow he hewed asunder a great log. Even from a distance and through the veiling darkness Vráin could perceive the dwarf’s frustrated anger and despair.

Behind the rocks, slowly and cautiously, Vráin crept forward out of the sight of the menacing gap on the stone wall. Perin raised the hatchet over his head for another chop.

"Perin!" came out Vráin’s low yet this time audible call and Perin’s blow went astray. But in a blink his axe was again raised and the whites of his keen eyes gleamed as he searched the landscape and tried to locate the speaker. Vráin stepped out from his hiding and spoke calmingly.

"Perin, your enemy is inside – but from the outside come friends and aid!" The hatchet fell to the ground with a soft clang. Vráin heard Perin gasp.

"So I wasn’t dreaming! I really saw an elf earlier. Aulë has heard my prayers! The aid is come, beyond hope the aid has come…" Wonder, disbelief; joy and fear alternated in Perin’s tone and he trembled. Vráin came quite close to him when suddenly Perin’s expression changed again, to reflect ever greater amazement.

"You… Who are you? How is it possible that you know my name?!"

"My name is Vráin and sons of Thráin are at your service as my brother is here too. I mean down there, quite near." Vráin spoke hastily and gestured vaguely somewhere behind him. "We are a group of hunters, a dozen strong – the dragon hunters. So your fates are known to us and that’s why we are come: to set you free and rid Middle-earth from this beast."

While speaking Vráin watched Perin closely but at the moment he had no time to reflect upon his observations. Indeed, the night was already old and some foreboding warned Vráin that they couldn’t afford any more delays: every second was precious. He rushed to continue.

"The elf you saw in the evening: he’s Lenwe, our guide. He spied the smoke column coming out from the mountain top. There must be a great fire inside! What is it for? We have planned to attack through that crack in the roof. And that’s why I’m here: to contact you so we’ll know what is happening inside."

Child’s post:

Perin looked over at Vrain and sighed, "The big fire..... That's a very long story. But that cursed fire is the reason all of us are here. Every captive held inside that cave, both Elf and Dwarf, have special skills in crafting metals, especially in the working of iron. That is why Glawr has brought us to this place. He has carefully selected the best smiths and artisans in all of Middle-earth and we are required to do his bidding day and night slaving over the work."

"But what kind of work is this?" demanded Vrain. "What could a dragon possibly want with objects of iron? I can imagine a dragon who might wish to have folk craft beautiful golden vessels or to create wondrous jewelry with the fine gemstones he's accumulated in his hoard. But iron? I have never heard of any dragon who made use of iron."

Perin shook his head, "When I first came here, I asked myself that as well. I even thought Glawr might be raving mad to keep us so busy on such a strange project. But now I know differently. If that dragon is mad, it is the madness of one who is canny beyond belief. For Glawr has ordered us to work on creating a suit of mail armor for himself that is sturdier and offers more protection than any other in Middle-earth, even harder than those objects made of mithril. Many a day, I've spent from sunrise to midnight working beside that huge bonfire using the special ingredients that the dragon brings to us from hidden caves and other places deep in the bowels of the earth."

Vrain's voice was deep with fear and wonder when he spoke again, "You have succeeded then? You have made such wondrous armor?"

Perin turned away in shame and hid his head, "I wish I could tell you 'no', but it is sadly true. This huge suit of armor is almost done. It is intended to cover the dragon's underside and protect the one soft spot on his belly. The miraculous alloy we've crafted is even superior to mithril. I can not say how it is made, for none of us know all the secret ingredients that the dragon brought us to mix together. But we are this close to finishing." Perin held up his two palms spaced only an inch apart. "Two more days at the most, and the deed will be done."

"And once Glawr puts on this suit?" questioned Vrain.

"Then there is no stopping him. If I had understood all this when we first began, I would have refused to do the wyrm's bidding, even if it meant my own death. But he hid his purposes from us. We thought it was just some silly project of a madman. But now, he must be stopped. We must work together to kill him and destroy that terrible suit which can only be used for evil. Otherwise, he will bring death to more innocent folk that I can imagine and his miraculous armor will protect him from any reprisals."

Vrain looked up seriously, "We must not only act then, but act very quickly to stop this dragon from bringing great ill to Middle-earth. How can we put out this fire?"

"The fire," Perin looked over at Vrain and smiled slyly. "Actually, I've dreamed about that for a very long time, for I would love to trick this beast just as he has tricked us. But you must promise to keep this thing secret until we can carry it out." With that he leaned over to Vrain and whispered something in his ear for a considerable space of time.

At the end of the whispering, Vrain leaned back and roared, "It would indeed be good to trick this beast with a little of his own vanity! Master Perin, I think you have hit upon a plan."

Annunfuiniel’s post

Vráin’s exclamation had quite an unexpected effect on Perin. To Vráin it seemed like a dark cloud had shifted from the dwarf’s face and taken off the weight of many a tormenting year. Suddenly Perin laughed: a quiet, sheer laughter of joy and relief rang there where destruction and doom awaited just around the corner.

The very echo of that sound pierced Vráin’s heart. That laughter… Of course it has to be the same… Vráin saw Farin’s smiling face in his mind as clearly as on that most beautiful of all mornings, in the light of the rising sun.

Guilt flooded over him and nearly struck him down. Farin! What a fool I have been! 'Thrice a fool', Gráin would surely say. But no, that’s far too mildly put. Oh gods, what made me speak that way? How can she ever forgive me?… Farin!

Perin’s laughter died as suddenly as it had began.

"Farin?" he breathed sharply; "Did you say Farin?!"

Vráin noticed only too late that he had spoken his last words out loud. This once he blessed the darkness as it covered his flushing. But Perin’s expression it couldn’t veil; and Vráin felt his anxiety like his own. Suddenly he saw things clearly again and he knew how he could make amends for his harsh words.

"Yes. And yes, I meant Farin, your sister. Through great perils and sorrows she has come here – all for you, to see you again."

Perin fell on his knees. "Why… How is that possible? She should never have been allowed to come!"

"For some reason everyone thought her to be a man…" Perin’s dubious glance forced a small smile to Vráin’s lips. "Yes, we were all blind! But now I know what we must do: Perin, you must go to the camp to see her. She misses you and needs you! Actually our whole company needs your counsels. For you can help us plan the attack to the cave. You know it: where the captives are, where the dragon sleeps and all. Yes, that’s it!"

Perin stood and stared at the ranting dwarf, once again unsure of how to react. "But I should go inside already. If I leave the dragon kills someone." Hope vanished from his glance; "No, I must stay here."

"No, listen! There is a way…" Vráin began. "Now I remember Lenwe’s words and they have given me an idea. 'He looked just like Vrain.' Yes, that’s what he said and though I doubted those words I now see that there’s some truth in them. We look quite alike, especially in the eyes of others than dwarves." Vráin paused to glance at Perin. "So you see now? We could change places, you and I. I will go to the dragon’s lair and you climb down to the camp."

Perin wasn’t assured yet and he tried to argue against Vráin. But Vráin’s mind was already resolved.

"Here," he said and pulled his tunic over his head; "take this and give me yours: that should fool his sense of smell. And take my axe too, I can’t step into that cave carrying it with me. But these I shall keep, just in case..." Vráin patted his belt holding half a dozen throwing knives before he slipped into Perin's coat. Immediately he was surrounded by a repulsive smell of which there could be no mistake: Rats! What else... "Now tell me quickly all I need to know about those caverns and the bloody beast! Then you’ll hear how to descend that slippery slope..."

Ten minutes later Vráin watched as Perin took his first steps down the mountain side. Shadows had nearly swallowed his dark figure when Vráin saw him halt and look back.

"Go on." He urged; "Farin has waited long enough." Vráin hesitated but then, remembering that this might be his last chance ever to speak those words, he continued. "And Perin… Tell Farin that I’m sorry. That is all I have words for, the rest she’ll know in her heart…" And with that he turned towards the dragon’s lair and walked inside while Perin watched him go and wondered what he had meant with those last words.

[ July 10, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #142
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was still the bleak depths of night when Vrain turned away from Elentari and trudged slowly up the path that led towards the dragon's lair. Lenwe stood and watched him bravely advance towards the sheer rock cliffs, with his axe slung jauntily over his shoulder. The Dwarf looked as if he were going off on some small adventure or picnic, without the slightest care in the world showing in his face. Yet, Lenwe couldn't help but think how very small and helpless Vrain appeared when measured against the majestic slopes that loomed up on all sides of him.

With a tiredness that passed all believing, the Elf had laid down next to the back wall of the small cavern expecting to get some sleep. But, try as he might, sleep completely eluded him. Tossing and turning, unable to rest, Lenwe had finally admitted defeat, wrenched himself up from the ground, and went outside to pace back and forth under the cover of a small pine grove. Until Vrain returned, there seemed little prospect that he would be able to sleep.

It was then that he saw them, scurrying in and out of the cave singly and by twos, their bodies hidden by the deep shadows that ran along the base of the walls. Xandu's bells, what was this? Apparently, they were not the only ones who used the cave for rest and shelter.

A slight smiled played on Lenwe's face as he heard Nalin call out and quickly come sprinting out from the shelter, "Ack, this vile place is overun with rats! They are as large as dogs and stink to high heaven." Nalin had raised his axe and was bringing it down on top of the rat's head, leaving its bloodied body lying in the dirt.

If there were rats here in this small cavern, Glawr's lair must be overflowing with them. For they were too small a treat for the wyrm to savor, and the captives had no weapons of their own to kill them. The lair must indeed be a stinking place. That realization slowly sunk into Lenwe's brain. If they wanted to blend into their surroundings and have the dragon take no notice of them, they could do worse than to mask their own scent with that of the rats. Glawr would be less likely to attack them if he could not detect them with his keen sense of smell.

Calling on the other companions to assail the rat pack with stones and sticks, they quickly went to work slaying a great number of the vermin. Then they hardened themselves to skin and clean the bodies, tossing out the foul remains. Elentari looked over and met Lenwe's eyes, understanding exactly what he intended to do.

She shook her head in confirmation, "Yes, before we head to the cave, we will rub their small skins against our own bodies and clothing. Better that we should smell like rats and slip in unnoticed than be discovered by the beast before we get more than two steps inside his lair. Finishing their task, they piled up the rat skins at the very back of the cave and hid them under one of the blankets.

Still unable to will himself to sleep, Lenwe again marched outside preparing to pace back and forth. The sunrise was just breaking over the mountain. But this time, as he peered up the path jin the direction of the dragon's lair, he spied a tiny shadowed figure in the shape of a Dwarf who was quietly advancing towards their camp. His heart leapt up in joy for surely this was Vrain. He called out softly from the pine trees, "Vrain, is that you? Thank goodness you've returned. We've all been worrying what happened to you." With that, the Elf sprinted forward on the path to go and greet his friend.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:23 PM   #143
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Farin wandered a while on the gentler slopes of the mountain, just a short way to the south from the campsite. She needed to be alone or otherwise… innocent people might get hurt! Farin didn’t wish to shed her bitter words on anyone else’s but Vráin’s shoulders. Calling me a fool! And threatening to reveal my secret! That’s low!

An endless flow of other similar exclamations poured to the tip of her tongue but she swallowed them quickly. Oh yes; we got enough attention already with Vráin shouting like that to me… But she clenched her teeth and her eyes flamed as she paced fiercely back and forth. The ponies had deemed it better to step aside and presently they were quite content with the green grass-patch they had found.

Eventually Farin calmed down a little, enough so that she decided to head back to the camp. The night had rolled its deepest, darkest shadows over her and now, as she was again able to concentrate on what was going on around her, the whispering darkness made her shiver. Quickly she grabbed the ponies by their reins and walked them to the other beasts. Then she sighed deep and steered her steps towards the camp, preparing herself to face the questioning glances of her companions. But Vráin… That mister had better have a pretty apology ready!

Rowan was the first whom Farin met back at the campsite.

"Are you all right? All have been wondering about your disappearance."

Farin rushed to answer the man before he had a chance to question her on more tender issues.

"I’m fine, Rowan; thank you. I just needed to be alone for a while. Being so near to the dragon’s lair and not to be able to do anything but wait… That just got on my nerves."

By then Alcyávëiel had also reached them and listened eagerly to what Farin had to say. As she paused the elf nodded in agreement;

"I know that feeling. My husband is up there, no more than an hour’s walk away – and yet unreachable." She lowered her head and looked to the ground. But the vision she beheld didn’t come from that place or time but moved behind her eyes: a treasure she cherished, the memory of Iarlhach’s face as he smiled at her and called her name.

A silence fell between those three. Farin glanced around the camp absent-mindedly, though secretly hoping she would soon see Vráin coming towards her. She noticed that their packs still lay on the ground just a few paces away. But there was something strange with that setting: a dark bundle amid Vráin’s other gear. A sudden foreboding forced her to step pass Rowan and take a closer look at their belongings.

Suppressing her craving to run she walked stiffly to her gear. There was her bag and Vráin’s too with her axe and their helmets… But Vráin’s axe was gone. And instead of his weapon there was that bundle: Vráin’s skilfully wrought chain-mail.

"Why has he taken this off?" Farin asked, mainly from herself.

"Where is Vráin?" she then turned and questioned her companions.

"Farin," came Gráin’s voice from behind her. And as she turned again she saw the dwarf coming towards their group with Selvren by his side; "He has left."

"Where to?" Farin continued stubbornly, though she already knew the answer.

"Lenwe and Elentari came back," It was Selvren’s turn to speak up and he nodded towards the mountain; "and they needed someone to go up there and do some scouting. Vráin just announced that he would go and everything was settled. He left some time ago and should soon be at the peak."

All five of them looked towards the looming mountain as if their eyes could pierce the darkness and they would indeed see Vráin climbing up, reaching his goal. Wind had nearly died away; all was silent. But the deeper the silence became around them the louder did her own rash words rang in Farin’s head:

"Fine, go then! And I hope the dragon likes his prey stupid, stubborn and uptight! Go to him and get yourself killed! Who’s the fool then?!"

"Go to him and get yourself killed! Go to him and get yourself killed…get yourself killed…"

No! Vráin, come back!!

Perin rolled down the last fifty feet of the slope. Maybe not the most dignified descent but he didn't heed to it as haste drove him forth. He had just crawled back to his feet when suddenly there was a fair voice calling:

"Vrain, is that you? Thank goodness you've returned. We've all been worrying what happened to you." And Perin saw how a tall, slender figure parted from the shadows and rushed forth towards him.

Perin was confused; a sensation that had become only too familiar to him that evening. And, knowing not what to say, he remained silent. The elf reached him and put an arm around his shoulder, leading him firmly towards the camp. Then he let out another clear call.

"Come all! Come and listen! Vráin has returned!"

The whole camp seemed to stir though it was clear to Perin that none had actually been sleeping. A choir of glad and relieved greetings flooded over him. And still he had spoken no word.

Suddenly one voice rose above the others, a shout full of disbelief, trembling and then failing:

"Perin? Perin..."

"Farin? Yes, it's me!"

A dark figure rushed from behind the tall elves and men nearly pushing them over. And then it stood before him, still hesitating for a one more second. In the dim light Perin saw his sister's dear, familiar face. There and then, in the middle of all the horrors, his heart was pierced with joy and he called for her.

"Farin...sister! Come here, I have missed you so much..."

And Farin came, leaping the last few steps to him. Her hiding was over, everyone knew her secret now - and she was relieved. All the suppressed emotions run over her and she wept with joy, safe in her brother's loving arms.

"Are you all right? How... I still can't believe it's really you! How did you escape?" Countless questions circulated in her mind and she was obviously going to ask them all at once. Perin had to hush her by putting his palm over her mouth.

"All in due time! Actually I am hurt..." Farin's face turned pale though no-one could tell that in the darkness. Perin grinned; "Yes, I just toppled down that slope and my knee's aching."

Perin ducked Farin's slap and there were many who thought that Perin and Vráin were quite alike in other ways too than just by their looks.

This similarity didn't go unnoticed to Gráin who had at once, like Farin, perceived that the newcomer wasn't Vráin. He was of course happy for Farin and her brother but presently worry over his own brother was first thing in his mind. Vráin hadn't come back. Gráin was just about to speak his anxiety out loud when suddenly the same reality dawned to Farin and she turned grave;

"Perin, did you meet another dwarf up there? Tell me if you can; where is Vráin?"

"Yes," came Perin's solemn answer; "Yes, I met Vráin - the bravest dwarf I've ever seen. He virtually forced me to come down here... And he went inside instead."

For a fleeing moment there was a dead silence as all understood what Perin had just said. Then Farin and Gráin gasped simultaneously;

"What was he thinking?"

Perin sighed; "My words exactly! But he was so determined and finally I gave in. But he has a plan that might actually work - at least I sure hope so. He took my tunic and gave me his...and this too."

With that Perin took Vráin's axe from his back and extended it to Gráin. "Hail and well met, Gráin son of Thráin! Perin son of Furin at your and your family's service. I believe this is rightfully yours to keep till you can give it back to your brother."

Gráin took the axe and bowed low but said naught. He had prepared for some great evil but still the stroke was bitter.

"And to you, my dear sister, I have something too." Perin leaned over to Farin ans whispered in her ear; "'Tell Farin that I’m sorry. That is all I have words for, the rest she’ll know in her heart…'" Farin clutched to Perin's blue tunic that, when she last had seen it, had been over Vráin. She veiled her face in the cloth and wept now with the torment of her heart.

The rest of the night passed as Perin answered all the many questions asked from him about the dragon and his lair. Before the hour of dawn all were weary but more knowing of their peril. And now more than ever they were ready to plunge right in and slay the dragon.

Vráin stepped into the warm gloom of the tunnel. He tried to concentrate wholly on his mission but uninvited images and thoughts circled in his mind. I did the right thing! She needs her brother more than she needs me... Deep in his thoughts Vráin stumbled to a small crack in the ground and fell cursing on his knees. Some logs rolled down from the high pile he just managed to balance in his lap. Already sweating he scrambled up leaving the strayed pieces wherever they ended. Concentrate! If you ever want to see any of them again you’ll need to pay a little more attention – or the dragon will know you’re a fraud before you have time to say 'fi…'

Vráin’s musings were interrupted as he came to the first parting of the ways. And here indeed burned a small fire, a torch on the wall on his right hand. And in the next corner of the path, someway ahead in the tunnel on the same side, there glimmered another faint flame. The ceaseless beat of the hammers grew steadily louder as Vráin trudged on, still climbing gently upwards. The sound echoed like hundred drums in the the majestic halls which roof hung in immeasurable heights.

It was a stiff walk, turn after another towards the inmost cave of the vast network of devious paths, smaller caverns and dead-ends. The air became the more suffocating the closer Vráin got to his destination, though ever and anon a cooler breeze blew past him, down from whence he had come.
The last stage of his journey was again lightless save for a dim red glow flickering on the walls. From what had previously sounded like an unisonous hammering Vráin’s experienced ear could now descry at least five or six different tones. The great forging was nearly finished but not yet; the dragon pressed his slaves hard, maybe driven by restlessness over some shadow on the edge of his consciousness or then purely because of his greed and impatience.

While pondering these notions Vráin reached a sharp turn. The path bend first left and then cut back to the right. Suddenly Vráin was blinded by the great bonfire that now blazed straight in front of him. The heat felt at first unbearable. Vráin stood and blinked, unable to continue forth but loath to turn back now at his journey’s end. And then he had no chance to do so anyway as the most dreadful voice he had ever heard rose above the hammer-beat and spoke to him.

"Master Perin!" it thundered; "Had you come but a second later one of your friends would have met an evil end. I had already picked my prey - him." And the beast pointed to a bent elf with his huge, hook-like talon. "What do you say about my choice?"

Vráin shivered though the heat of the fire scorched him. 'Do not look into his eyes!' Perin’s words rang in his head and he kept his gaze on the ground. All he could see of the dragon were his great forelimbs and the bronze scales of his belly. Slowly he laid down his burden and then stood up, ready to carry out the perilous plan.

Child’s post:

Vráin breathed deep the hot air and then spoke out:

"Master Dragon, in another day your great and wondrous suit will be finished. It is indeed the finest coat of chain mail in all of Middle earth. No weapon can pierce it. You will be invincible."

In his triumph and joy, a terrible sound came flooding out from Glawr's throat, a sound that contained hints of all the shadows and evil that were now extending their wicked fingers over Arda. It was then that Vráin spoke out, saying exactly what Perin had told him.

"Great master, I am indeed happy for you. But one thing is missing. This chain mail shirt is indeed very effective in protecting your body, but it is also dull and bland. It hides your wondrous scales of bronze. When men see you in this suit, they may indeed laugh for they will judge it to be some old metal thing that has been tossed aside by a blacksmith. Your own bronze scales which glow in the sunlight are a far more beauteous thing."

Glawr extended out his talons and drummed them on the ground, "Why do you tell me this, Master Perin? Do you not fear to say such things to me? Perhaps I will decide to beat your head into the ground. You have created a wondrous suit of mail, but it lacks the sheen and luster of my own scales. That is a serious fault. How do you intend to remedy this?"

"Ah, but that is the fine and wondrous thing. I know exactly how we may fix this sad state of affairs so that you will gleam like the sun and all Men, Dwarves, and Elves will bow down before you. Within your horde, there is much fine gold. Several of us in the cavern are indeed experts in the shaping and decorating of this metal. We could easily create a lovely coat of gold, complete with fine engravings, in order to slip over the dull grey armor so you would sparkle like the sun."

"Go then," ordered Glawr. "Go and do this thing at once."

"Of course, Sir. But there is just one small problem.

Glawr turned back and fixed a jaundiced eye on Vráin, "Yes, what is wrong now? Can you do nothing right?"

"Nothing is wrong. Only this......we must douse the giant fire that now burns in the hearth. For that fire is fed with the logs of many scrub and pine trees, that are really quite soft and unsuitable. Everyone knows that a smith cannot work with gold and engrave it with fine decorations unless there is a fire fed with the hard wood that comes from trees that grow lower down the mountain."

Glawr stared at him with contempt, "Alright, Master Perin. Have the captives douse the fire tonight. Before the dawn I will fly down to the foothills and bring you all the hardwood that you need. But see that you have both my armor and suit of gold ready to wear by tomorrow night."

Vráin shook his head, trying to hide the smile which kept threatening to break out on his face. "Yes, Sir. Certainly. We will do that at once." Then he turned and left.

[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #144
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel's post

Vráin walked towards the captives and tried to perceive what was going on. He saw many a dwarf and elf still bend over their work, sweating in the heat of the fire. But some had sunk to the ground and slept now uneasily. This seemed to be what the dragon meant with rest for his slaves. Only one or two gazes rose as Vráin finally reached them.

"Perin..." The elf whom Glawr had pointed to Vráin greeted him, a silent 'Thank you' clearly to be heard in his tone though not spoken aloud.

"I’m not he." Vráin spoke solemnly, his glance warning the other to keep quiet. In a clear, echoing voice he announced the dragon’s will – that the fire was to be put out.

"Iarlhach, Lossentilien!" Vráin called out, not daring to look at the group that gathered around him in the fear of revealing under the dragon’s watchful eye that he didn’t recognize his supposed companions. When doing this Vráin took a conscious risk for he had not asked Perin if he knew about these two captives, if they even were alive anymore. Luckily two elves stepped forward, the first being the man with whom Vráin had already spoken whereas the other was without a doubt Lostlondwen’s mother, so great was their resemblance.

"We need every bucket and pail you can find; Master orders the fire has to be quenched before the dawn." Glawr saw his command delivered and paid no heed to his crawling slaves anymore. Instead he turned his avid glance at the great iron mail and his thought wandered to the soon to be forged golden coat that would make him blaze like a dreadful sun.

Vráin took advantage of this moment when the dragon’s attention was dispersed. In hushed tone he told the two elves about the hunters and their quest, about Alcyávëiel and Lostlondwen who had come all the way to rescue them and about the plan to get the captives out and slay the wyrm. And to his great joy he saw a hope rekindle in the elves' eyes.

"The aid will come to us through the gap in the roof," he whispered, extending one more dusty bucket to Lossentilien. "If they see the dragon fly away they’ll come as soon as they can. And all must then be ready for a quick departure. Is everyone able to climb a rope?"

Eager nods followed Vráin’s question but they dared not to speak any more as Glawr turned to them again.

"Come now, we must be swift! We mustn’t keep Master waiting!" As the elves took to leave Vráin spoke quickly:

"Spread the word. All must be prepared."

For the rest of the night, the captives ran back and forth between a nearby stream and the cavern bringing back pail after pail of water. By the time the sun rose in the sky, there was only a heap of smouldering ash left in the fire pit.

Vráin watched as the last red flicker in the great fire pit died down. Every inch of his body ached, yet he perceived how mild his pains had to be compared to the prolonged sufferings of the slaved dwarves and elves. When he had first turned to them the only things he could read in their eyes were despair and weariness; even fear seemed to have left some of them as they had quietly accepted their inevitable doom.

But now, though still exhausted and nearly consumed by the travail of this latest task, they had all changed: hope had returned to them and the will to live once again free and in peace.

The fire was gone but still a red flame glimmered on the western wall of the gap, high up above Vráin’s head. He raised his glance and saw the light of the rising sun play on the top of the mountain. Morning has come – the new dawn and the doom that awaits us.

Vráin heard the sound of heavy footsteps but above all he felt them, the thumps that shook the ground. Even as he turned around Glawr spoke to him:

"Well done, Master Perin, very well done. Now, with your leave, I’ll go and get you the harder firewood that you have asked for." Glawr’s seemingly courteous speech was nothing but mocking of the dwarves' customs of old which he seemed to know better than Vráin was comfortable with. Perin's words echoed in his troubled mind:

"That beast… he can broke your will with menacing words and delight in the sight of your crawling. But beware his sweet speech! His soft words drip honeyed venom: first he praises you and then he breaks your neck – he strikes faster than his fell cousins, the petty vipers and black worms of the earth."

"We will soon begin to gather the gold from your chambers, Master. And I believe we’ll add some fine diamonds and mithril adornments to perfect it all. Only the best for you, Master."

Vráin had to answer quickly to hold the position he had gained. He could only hope the drake wouldn’t descry its own game in his words.

After a prolonged silence, during which Vráin nearly stopped breathing, Glawr addressed him again:

"Ah yes!" he exclaimed, blinded by a vision of precious metals and shining gems that would grace his splendid figure, his unbeatable power. "Make sure you use only the largest, flawless stones!" And with that the beast took to leave. But before entering the tunnels Glawr halted and swung his great tail in vast arch. The blast nearly capsized Vráin and the scaled tip of the heavy tail missed him only by inches.

"No tricks, you hear me? Or you’ll feel it in your skins – and deeper." With these final words, now plain in their menace, the dragon tramped off and the ground wailed. A moment later a tremor went through the halls and then all was silent. The road out had been blocked.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #145
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elentari stood on the ledge staring up towards the upmost peak of the great mountain where only yesterday there had been a huge wreath of smoke issuing forth from the cave. This morning the sky was clear and bright, and by all indications the fire had been extinguished. Lying down on her stomach and inching forward, the Elf peered over the cliff overhang and saw where the sun had extended its golden rays over the flat plains far below.

Elentari wasn't yet certain at what point in the day she should order the company to make its way up the sloping hill and scale the massive grey rock that would lead them into the cavern. Everyone had made the necessary preparations the night before. They had cleaned and honed their weapons and rubbed the rat fur over their clothes and bodies. Perin had given them detailed instructions on the layout of the cave, the usual whereabouts of the captives, and even how the Dragon most often spent his day.

The members of the company were definitely prepared and ready to go at any minute. Still, it was probably best to wait till evening when the shadows and darkness would do much to conceal the presence of intruders. Elentari leaned back against the ledge weighing the arguments in her mind. Emotionally, she would prefer to make an immediate assault on the cave and rescue the captives as soon as possible, before any more of them could be killed. But, rationally, she had to admit that it made a lot of sense to wait for the cover of darkness.

She was just about to turn away and go about her business of feeding her horse when she felt an insistent tug on her sleeve. Elentari looked down at Perin; the Dwarf had come up beside her and raised his arm into the air pointing an index finger at the skies. "Look! Look there!" he broke out excitedly.

The Elf craned her head back and let her eyes follow in the direction that Vrain was pointing. There, perched atop the roof of the cave, the giant wrym stood poised for take-off. With a single bound, Glawr pounced into the air spreading his wings and ascending upward. He circled the mountain twice, then dipped down towards the lower slopes and disappeared in a verdant grove of great oak trees.

Perin's words tumbled out quickly, "What luck! The creature has gone out to seek wood for the fire. Probably the hardwood that Vrain told him was necessary to craft a suit of gold to wear over his chain-mail armor. We must go immediately."

The Elf's eyes opened wide as she considered the advantage of slipping into the cave while the dragon was tending to some business elsewhere. Lenwe and a few of the band could safely lead the captives down to the camp. Meanwhile, she and the rest of the companions could search for a convenient hiding place in the lair so they would be ready and waiting whenever the wyrm returned. What a stroke of luck!

She looked confidently at Perin and asked "How soon will the beast return?"

Perin weighed his words carefully before he responded, "No one can say for certain. But generally when he leaves the lair to collect firewood, he does not return for several hours."

Several hours! Even better. The Elf smiled to hear Perin's words. Then she quickly called the group together and explained what had happened. "Now! Now is our chance to rescue the captives, deal a death blow to this beast, and destroy the armor. The dragon has gone forth from his lair and will probably not return for some time. We must go forward with all speed to lead the captives to safety and find hiding places from which we may attack the wyrm whenever he returns."

There were quiet whispers of approval all around the circle to hear that they would be leaving now. Standing in front of the band, Gràin lifted up his battle axe and cried, "May Aule aid us in our task and lead us on to victory." The Elves and Men nodded their assent and cried out to Elbereth to pour her grace upon their cause. With that, the companions walked silently forward along the sloping path in single file, wending their way to the topmost ledge where they would scale the great grey rock.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #146
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel's post

Farin had no clear memories of their climb. Only the thought of seeing Vráin made her trudge forward for she felt greater fear than ever in her life. But what if Vráin is already dead? the thought almost paralysed her and she leaned heavily to a boulder on her right.

Perin walked just behind his sister and presently looked at her trembling with pity and worry in his eyes.

"Farin, you could go back…" he began though he could hear the answer even as it formed in Farin’s mind.

"I can’t." She spoke silently but didn’t look back; "And I wouldn’t even if I could." And with that they continued their slow ascent. But from deep down in her heart Farin found the answer to her own, silent question. If Vráin is dead then part of me will die too. But still I must fight on...

Annunfuiniel's post

The dragon had left. Vráin could only hope that his companions outside had been watchful and seen him fly off. But presently he had plenty of things to arrange both before the hunters would get to them and especially before Glawr returned.

"Lossentilien, Iarlhach," Vráin called for the elves again; "Once more I ask for your help."

"Lossentilien; I need you to gather all the captives together. Let the stronger aid those who are too weary to walk. We can’t wait openly here if it should happen that the dragon gets back before the hunters come. You know these halls: look for a place that provides the shelter needed - as near this main cavern as possible. But then a group must be formed that’ll go down to the treasuries to get the gold and gems; for we can’t afford taking risks."

Vráin paused and the she-elf nodded; "I know just the place. And I’ll ask for volunteers to go to the underground tunnels." With that she went to carry out her tasks.

Vráin turned to Iarlhach. "For you I have even bigger request: I need a fire, much smaller than the one we just put out but a great fire still. And then... I’m loth to ask this of you yet I beg you to listen to my plan..." And for a while Vráin spoke on as Iarlhach listened keenly. When he finally ceased the elf watched him in silence, with wonder in his eyes.

"You ask much indeed, Master Vráin," he spoke. "And yet I’m willing to do that and more if need be. For I owe you a debt of gratitude, kindler of hope. The work shall be done be it then that I do it alone."

Vráin smiled; "Not alone, for my hands know this art too. I’ll aid you the best I can. But we are in haste so let us get to work!"

The fire was lit again. An hour passed and then another – but finally the deed was done. Vráin wiped his sleeve over his brow and took a step backwards, admiring the skill of the elves and dwarves. The fire was quenched but red ember remained. Iarlhach walked over to Vráin and stood a while beside him. Then he sighed and looked at the dwarf;

"All is done."

"Yes, all is done." Vráin answered solemnly and the elf walked away.

We are ready.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:16 AM   #147
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The company had readily made its way to the tiny ledge that lay at the base of the great outer walls of the cavern; the sheet cliffs rose straight up from here and loomed menacingly over their heads. This would be the difficult part. Thankfully, the rock was not completely smooth. Although perilously steep, the grey stone walls were dimpled and pocked with cracks and crevices that provided ample footholds for the climber. Yet even with these niches and clefts in the stone, the going had not been easy.

Elentari had made sure that everyone fastened knotted ropes about their waists to help keep them safe them in case they met any mishaps on the cliff. The Elf was the first to make the ascent, carefully testing each foothold and ledge before letting the others begin their long climb; Lenwe followed at the rear of the column making sure no one was left behind.

The Dwarves found the ascent especially difficult. Several times, Gràin and Perin could be heard muttering choice comments under their breath about the fact that Aule intended Dwarves to tunnel downward in the earth, not to soar upward like eagles. One time, in a particularly treacherous portion of the cliff, Callo's foot had slipped, his body threatening to plunge downward to what would be certain death; the man found himself hanging in mid-air, saved only by the fragile line about his waist. He dangled and twisted from the end of the rope high above the ledge until his companions managed to pull him back to safety.

Almost an hour had passed before they'd made it to the top of the cavern. Standing next to the great smoke hole, Lenwe peered curiously down into the depths of the cave. The Elf leaned over and wrenched off the grate, a crude affair of wire which took no more than one hard jerk to lift up and clear out their entryway. Elentari unwrapped the long spiral of rope she'd brought with her, first uncoiling it and snaking it downward through the hole a little at a time. Suddenly, the end of the rope scraped against the bottom. Elentari felt a welcoming tug as the line was firmly secured and held in place by several of the captives so climbing would be easier for those beginning their descent.

Lenwe and Elentari eyed each other jubilantly. Things were going even better than expected. One by one, the members of the company gripped the thick hemp coil and lowered their bodies down, carefully placing one hand beneath the other until they reached the floor of the cave. They felt welcoming pats on their backs and handshakes of greeting, although it was difficult to see anything in the dark and shadowed recesses. After taking his axe back from his brother, Vrain leaned over whispering into Lenwe's ear that he was going forward with Elentari's party to try and slay the dragon.

Lenwe looked over at the hostages and asked, "Is this it? Is everyone here?"

One of the Elves shook his head, "No, there are more of us than this. Some are back doing their chores in the other portions of the cavern. They had little choice for they must do the dragon's bidding if they wish to remain alive."

Lenwe nodded towards Ewinda, asking her to go with him to find the other captives.
Meanwhile, Elentari and the others slipped off towards the front of the cavern hoping to hide and wait for the dragon to return when they would pounce on him unexpectedly.

Annunfuiniel's post:

Gráin loosened his grip of the rope and let himself fall freely the last five or six feet. He landed to the ground with a soft thud and a clang as the two axes on his back hit together. Immediately he swung around to get a general view of the surroundings. A deep sigh of relief escaped his lips as, beyond hope, he saw Vráin standing right next to him.

"So good to see you, alive!" Gráin embraced his brother and then drew forth the other axe. “And this, I believe, belongs to you."

Vráin smiled at his brother and took the weapon, weighing it in his hands. "Yes, and need I say how much I have missed this beauty?"

"Ah, looks like I’ve been totally forgotten in one night." Another soft thump accompanied the voice that spoke first from above the brothers’ heads and then descended on their level. Vráin smiled like the sun had just come down to him.

"Farin!" he jumped forward and grabbed her into his strong arms. Great sorrow and worry it was to his heart that Farin had to come to that dreadful place – and yet nothing could have kindled such new hope in him than seeing her beside him. They were together again; and together they would hold even if the very earth should quake and the blue sky was forever lost to them.

Orofaniel's post

Finally the whole company was in the cave. Ewinda was quite anxious because she thought that the chance of finding the captives alive had grown paler for tha last few days.

The cold air that filled the cave was making Ewinda shiver. Without a sound the company was walking around in the dark cave searching for the last of the captives. Elantari and Lenwe lead tham, and Selvren was the last one. Ewinda had to admit that she wasn't jealous of those positions.

Suddenly they heard sounds ahead of them, which she feared was the dragon who might have returned. But as they drew nearer they realised that it was the captives. They were close at hand, but where exactly they were, none of them could tell.

"I'll go and find them," Lenwe said sternly. "Who will follow me?" he asked.

"I am coming with you," Lostlondwen cried at Lenwe. He was just about to run for it. "Okey, come on, quickly!" Lenwe looked at her with wide eyes. "Follow me," he whispered.

Lenwe and Perin were in the front now and said in calm voices. "Be careful."

It was some minutes before they found the missing captives and led them back towards the rear of the caverns to the area where the great hole gaped open in the ceiling.

Child's post

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a huge gust of wind swept through the twisted passages and tunnels of the caverns. Holding up a small firebrand that flickered and gutted, Lenwe looked over and saw masks of fear instantly slip down over the faces of the captives who were still standing beside him. One of the kidnapped Elves turned around to Lenwe, quivering with fear and a look of terror in his eyes. "He has returned. The wyrm has returned. It is the flapping of his wings in the front hall which creates such a windstorm in the maze of the cave."

Lenwe felt his heart lurch forward. His captives were still safe back in the bowels of the cavern. But Elentari and her group had already left for the front and, not having any of the captives with them, would have no idea what the strange wind meant. As if reading Lenwe's thoughts, Perin pushed forward and yelled, "I will go to them and warn them of the danger."

Old 07-10-2003, 12:16 AM   #148
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Eruwen's post:

Callo followed the company slowly as they made their way towards the dragon’s lair. The climb was steep on the outer walls leading up to the cavern, and he knew it would be a difficult task for even an Elf to manage. It turned out that his thoughts had been correct, for he even slipped himself and his companions had to help him back up to safety. Eventually the extremely long climb came to an end as they reached the entrance to the cavern.

As Callo climbed down the rope, along with the rest of his company, he peered around at the cave. The vast cavern depths were far more than anything he had expected. He soon stepped foot onto the floor of the enormous cavern and waited for the others to reach the bottom as well. Elentari led the company off into the front of the cavern to wait for the dragon to return, but Lenwe and Perin stayed behind preparing to help the captives scale the long rope and make their way to freedom.

The company soon entered the front of the cavern, the dragon’s actual lair. Callo searched the room in awe as he tried to find a hiding place and soon discovered a somewhat larger boulder near the entrance to the room. He ran towards the mound of rock and ducked behind it with bow in position and arrows ready to be launched forth. The room was silent for the most part as the others in the company found hiding places as well, but suddenly the silence was broken.

A large gust of wind came rushing into the room causing Callo to lose his balance and fall back onto the rock floor. Brushing himself off, he managed to get back into position. As he peered over the rock towards where some of the others were hiding, he saw Elentari and another Elf near the back of the room whispering to each other, but soon Elentari turned to Callo.

"Callo," she yelled as quietly as she could from across the room. "From your position, do you have any idea what that might have been?"

"My guess would be just a gust of wind," Callo replied, but his words were broken off by the sound of footsteps running into the cave.

"The wyrm is coming!" Perin cried out as he burst into the room, and Elentari stood up abruptly at his words. "The dragon is on his way back to the cavern!" Perin continued.

Callo stood in awe as Elentari rushed from her hiding place towards where Perin stood.
"Have the captives escaped yet?" Elentari asked as Perin tried to catch his breath. He shook his head in dismay, and Elentari turned back towards the company.
"Everyone get back into hiding and have your weapons ready!" she commanded strongly. "The fight begins now."

Elentari made her way back to her hiding place with Perin close behind her. Callo sat in his concealed spot near the mouth of the cave listening intently to the large gusts of wind coming from the other side of the cavern. Whether he was indeed ready or not, the battle was about to begin.

Orofaniel's post

After helping to find the missing captives, Ewinda had gone forward to where Elentari was waiting. As she felt the cold wind rush through the caverns and heard Perin's equally chilling words, Ewinda suddenly realised something: they could all die! What a horrible thought! But deep thinking wasn't really the clever thing to do now. Ewinda and the company were going to distract the dragon form seeing Lenwe and Lostlondwen and the others who were sneaking behind in the back of the cavern and trying to rescue the captives. They had to be very careful, it all could go wrong if they made the slightest little sound.

The dragon was drawing closer. Elentari was drawing her sword and commanded that the others do so to. Ewinda grabbed her sword. She looked at it. The dragon that was pictured on it looked exactly like the one she was going to fight. She prepeard herself and then she thought that if the quest was furfilled at last she didn't mind dying in this battle, beacause it would bring peace and beauty to Middle-earth yet again....

Old 07-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #149
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elven Maiden Earwen's Post

Under Elentari’s command the companions hid. Rowan and Alcyávëiel hid between two large boulders. A fearful gust of wind blew throughout the cavern. The wyrm was coming. Rowan readied his sword at the sound of footsteps that made the earth shake. Alcyávëiel strung her bow. It would be only a matter of time before the dragon entered the vast cavern.

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

In mere seconds the company would face their worst fear Rowan thought, and with that the dragon entered. A glistening array of bronzy scales was before them. The wyrm stood their now, a great beast. His piercing glance and his golden eyes searched the room. Soon the battle against the dragon would begin, so soon. And Rowan and Alcyávëiel were more ready for it than they would ever be.

Annunfuiniel's post

"Perin? Are you all right?" Vráin shouted but his voice drowned into the tumult. Perin nodded weakly but Vráin shook his head as he saw blood run in trickles to his forehead. The dragon roared just around the corner. This is no place for wounded! he mused, trying to think some solution - and quickly. He couldn’t drag Perin all the way back to the main cave and his options were short.

While gazing wildly around Vráin suddenly observed a tunnel which he hadn’t noticed earlier. Without further ado he lifted Perin up and bore him someway down the slanting path. It was but one of the dead-ends in the labyrinth of endless tunnels and caverns but it had to suffice for now. Perin slipped into unconsciousness but Vráin couldn’t afford to stay with him. He hardened his heart and ran back towards the deafening clamour of arms and cracking rock – above which rose the dreadful roar of the great beast.

Vráin leaped back to the cavern in which the drake raged. Elentari came running towards him.

"We need to get it to rear up, revealing its belly." And with that she ran back, aiming an unavailing blow at the wyrm’s tail.
That won’t do it. But what will? Vráin thought feverishly – and then he remembered his knives. My knives, again! How do I manage to forget about them always in the time of need? But Vráin had no time to scold himself any longer - for their chance had come.

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #150
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Elentari had climbed the cliff, and then as she slid down the rope into the cave, she said a silent prayer.

"Elbereth, after you I am named, Star Queen, so please guide us and watch over us now as we finish what we came to do. Protect us, O Star Queen, so that none will die in the final battle. I owe you much, but I think I can owe you more still."

Elentari smiled at the captives around her as she reached the floor, reassuring them as well as herself. Finding secure hiding places wasn't to hard a task, as there were plenty of large rocks to hide behind. Everything was going so well that it made Elentari nervous. Things were not this easy last time she faced such a beast.

Perin's words as he ran into the room justified Elentari's fears. The wyrm had returned earlier than they had all anticipated. Elentari commanded everyone to return to their hiding places. If only the captives had escaped! But there was no option now, they would have to fight the great wyrm.

The ground shook as the dragon made its way toward the cave where everyone was hiding. As it into the centre of the cave there was a shout from Elentari.

"NOW!"

Annunfuiniel's post

Nalin had volunteered to scout the great tunnel ahead which Vráin and Perin had told to be the main way leading out of the caves. Perin’s warning words pulsed in his ears:

"Every time the dragon left for a longer while we felt a great tremor shook the mountain. But we cowered in fear and never even tried to seek a way out. Maybe he uses his hideous strengths to move whole walls of rock at a time, I do not know – but be wary! For if you feel the wind that comes before him it’s already too late to flee."

And then suddenly, indeed as if a whole new wall had grown from the ground, the road was blocked. Nalin looked up and high above in the unattainable heights he perceived a gap between the wall and the ceiling.

Sheer despair took hold of him. How could they ever beat a beast that could move such rocks as this? Nalin leaned his forehead to the cool stone, his hands powerlessly clenching and unclenching at his sides. - - And then he felt it: a gust of wind coming through the gap - the wailing forerunner of death.

Nalin didn’t run or let out a scream. A sorrowful yet peaceful smile was on his lips as the stone wall cracked and then crashed with a roar, covering him into a mound greater than those where the kings of old rested.

Elentari's post

Everyone leapt out from their hiding places and ran at the dragon from all sides. Callo and Elentari ran at it at its head end with sticks to try and cease its vision. The wyrm saw them coming and lashed out with its mighty tail, nearly hitting Perin. He only managed to escape the blow by some quick thinking from Vrain who took a flying leap, which was quite good for a dwarf, and pushed him out of the way.

Elentari and Callo now drew their weapons, discarding the sticks knowing that plan would not work.

"Aim for its belly," cried Elentari. "Aim for the softest part!" She drew her sword and dived under the great beast, hoping it wouldn't decide to try to crush her. She swung her sword at the wyrm's soft under-belly, but to no avail - she was still too far to the side. She ran over to Vrain. "We need to get it to rear up, revealing its belly."

Elentari ran to the wyrm's tail and slashed down hard with her sword. The beast roared in anger, but felt no pain. Elentari looked at her sword. It had snapped in half from both the force of the blow, and the strength of the scales.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #151
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elven Maid Earwen's post

Under Elentari’s command the company jumped from their hiding places. Aim for the belly, it’s the softest part on his body. Rowan thought to himself as he came into full view of the dragon. This is it. Alcyávëiel shot two arrows at the dragon to no avail. They seemed not to affect the dragon, only to make him angry. The dragon came charging at Alcyávëiel. Rowan aimed for the dragon’s side. His blow was useless to the dragon. He whirled around forgetting about Alcyávëiel and swiped Rowan with his claws, sending him flying backwards. He landed hard with a thud on the ground.

What am I doing hitting him in the side, we need to turn this wyrm over, He thought as he got up slowly. His left arm was of no use, probably broken he thought. He heard heavy breathing over him. He didn’t need to look to know the dragon was standing over him. Where’s a sword when you need it? His sword was a couple of feet away but there was no way he could get it without being killed.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #152
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child's post

Lenwe could hear the sounds of battle and strife beginning to issue from the front of the cavern. Already, some of the captives within his care had found their way to the long rope and were slowly climbing towards the great hole in the ceiling. Others waited patiently on the ground for their turn to begin their ascent.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, one of the captive Elves appeared at the back of the cave. He was panting and holding his sides. "Wait, stop, there's more of us. I just found out that the dragon sent a group of folk into the underground tunnels to hunt for precious metals."

"Underground tunnels?" Lenwe looked up in surprise. "You mean that there are other passages leading out from here?"

"Not leading out, but leading down into the bowels of the earth. This is where the wyrm secured his metals."

"I will not leave hostages to die in some old mine shaft," Lenwe exclaimed. "You keep the others climbing upward on that rope and I'll go try and find the ones who are in the underground tunnels."

With that he turned and was ready to leave when a familiar voice from the band cried out to him.

Nova's post

"I am coming with you," Lostlondwen cried at Lenwe. He was just about to run for it, to help the hostages.

Lenwe looked at her and listened. "My mother is one of them," she continued. Tears were in her eyes, but she couldn't cry, not now. Lenwe saw her need and gave a nod. "Follow me," he whispered.

Lenwe gave a sign to follow him, and to be very silent. From the front of the cavern they could hear the growls of the beast and the sound of swords clashing. If the dragon figured what they were up to, he might turn around and .... Lostlondwen didn't dare think about it. This was all so frightening.

From the direction where the rest of the company was, the dragon's voice grew louder. Lostlondwen, however, couldn't hear exactly what was going on. Lenwe led the way. They went a few paces to the west and then they turned to the east. The company was still not far away, neither was the dragon. It almost seemed that the little cave bent in a hundred different directions without really leading any further towards the underground tunnels.

From a few paces away they could see a light shimmer in the dark. When they came closer and crept by, they could see the dragon and the company just to their left. "We have gone behind it?" Lostlondwen asked Lenwe with great wonder in her voice. Lenwe nodded, and they continued pacing east. A few more steps and they came into a tunnel, inside there was light. "We are going around in circles," Lenwe said and sighed. "Come on," he said after a pause, Lostlondwen followed.

It so appeared that they really were going inside the walls in a small and narrow tunnel bending around the whole cave. Where the dragon was now, was really the centre of this whole stony place. As they were drawing near the underground tunnel, they heard voices.

Lenwe, drew his sword. "Just in case," he assured Lostlondwen. They walked as silently as they possably could. Lostlondwen drew a breath. Calm down, she told herself. With a good look at Lenwe, she entered the tunnel, pacing downward for another 100 feet. Suddenly she stopped. There on the floor, a few bodies lay on the dusty ground. It was a terrible sight. Their clothes were dirty and torn. It was even hard to tell if they were dead or alive. They all lay there as if they were not capable of doing something else.

Lostlondwen didn't hesitate to run over. She bent down, and found a few Elves, two dwarves, and last of all her own mother.

"Mother," she cried out. The woman looked up and stirred at seeing the Elf, who appeared to be her own daughter. It was her, and she is alive, the young elf thought. Lostlondwen slung herself around her mother's neck and hugged her. "You came," her mother said in a low voice. Lostlondwen didn't let go of her mother's neck, they just sat there, both of them. They didn't say anything more, they had no words. The others stirred at them, but seemed happy that finally someone had found them. Everything was going to be fine.

Lenwe checked the others, some were in a bad state. "We should try to get them out of here," he said in a determined voice. "If everyone can gather up, we'll find a way out, together." Lostlondwen helped them to get up, and tried to hold them up. "Come on," Lostlondwen commanded. "What about the others?" It was Lossentilien, Lostlondwen's mother who finally had found any words. "The others?" Lostlondwen asked. "Are there more?" she continued. Lossentilien gave a nod. And pointed deeper in the tunnel. "They are working now, for the Dragon." She muttered. "They'll come back in a few hours."

Lenwe looked confused, just as Lostlondwen did. This was a detail they hadn't counted on. What were they supposed to do now? At last Lenwe spoke: "We'll try to take you, out first, then look for the others?" Most of them agreed and followed Lenwe into the tunnel again. Lotlondwen held her mother up, she wasn't able to walk herself. The male elf was in the lead, Lostlondwen and her mother, went in the back.

The group followed the tunnel's bending, the same way Lenwe and Lostlondwen had gone just minutes before. They came to the spot where both of them had discovered the fact about them going behind the dragon, and now they could all get a glimpse of the things going on with the other party fighting the beast.

Elentari swung her sword, and Vrain was at her side. Lenwe was still in the lead, when they left the opening and continued walking in the 'everlasting' tunnel.

"The light," Lostlondwen burst out. The others turned to look, what she was talking about. "Not that way," Lostlondwen said. "There," she pointed upwards. There, just over their heads, and right by the exit of the tunnel, a big hole was seen. "We can get up there, and out," Lostlondwen continued. Lenwe stirred at the opening figuring out how they could do it. "We need a rope," Lenwe said at last. Where had that blasted rope gone? There were murmurs in the group. "There was a rope where you found us," a short male dwarf burst out. "I'll get it," he continued.

No one had the chance to stop him or follow him before he was halfay through the tunnel, and they couldn't see him anymore. The others sat down, and had a rest, while waiting.

Time passed. People were getting anxious for the young dwarf, just when he turned up with a smile on his face. He gave the rope to Lenwe, and muttered something about the dragon binding them at night. Lenwe, however, was more busy binding the rope around his waist. "I'll climb, and I'll drag one at a time upwards," he said. "But.." Lostlondwen didn't get he chance to argue about him climbing, before he was halfway up on the wall, and reaching for the hole.

"I'll go last," Lostlondwen decided. She made the them all line up in a queue, and after turn they dissapeared through the hole, where they helped Lenwe drag the others.

"Last one," Lostlondwen muttered. "Mother, go, I'll come after." Lossentilien denied, but had really no choice, this was after all Lostlondwen's call. Lossentilien's daughter, bound the rope around her waist and made her hold tight. Lostlondwen, gave thereafter, a sign to Lenwe to draw. "I love you," Lossentilien said to her daughter before she was dragged up. "I love you too," Lostlondwen replied.

But this time something went wrong. Lostlondwen's mother didn't hold quite as tight as she had too. Maybe she hadn't strength enough, Lostlondwen thought, but she really didn't know. With a roar she loosened something in the wall, and a big opening appeared. At the same time, she fell down on the floor and let out a big: "Ouch!"
Lostlondwen ran towards her and was about to get her up when two eyes, filled with great evil from the opening in the wall, appeared.
From up above she heard the desperate voice of Lenwe, telling her to run. But she couldn't. She had to stay, stay with her mother.

With tears in her eyes, she arose. Lostlondwen grabbed at the same time the hilt of her sword, and swung it. She missed. "Watch out!" There was yelling from outside the tunnel too, the rest of the company.

The dragon walked simply into the wall, and the wall's opening grew even bigger. At that time, Lostlondwen was ready for a second swing with her sword, but she was hit by the dragon first, with great force. She stumbled over the many stones laying on the ground. Lostlondwen fell and felt the pain growing. Few moments after, she heard a sigh when her mother got hit too. Lossentilien landed on Lostlondwen and she could hear her mother's troubled breath.

Neither mother nor daughter were witnesses to the rest of the fight as their own pain engulfed them. Only now and then, they could hear screams coming from the front of the cave to which the dragon had again retreated.

They were only following their inside fights. Both their spirits were in doubt, whether to leave; to the Halls of Mandos, or to keep on fighting; to see Middle-earth's beauty again.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #153
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elven Maiden Earwen's post:

Bows are no more use here Alcyávëiel thought scolding herself on her choice of weapons. The only other weapon Alcyávëiel had was her pruning sickle, and you couldn’t count that as a real weapon anyways. All she could do was shoot arrows at him to distract the dragon. She watched Rowan fly backwards, but she could go see to him because the dragon was between them. The dragon now faced Rowan. She had to do something.

Alcyávëiel grabbed her sickles a hit the dragon with them as hard as she could. They snapped into many pieces. She had no weapon now and the dragon was heading towards her. He raised her up so she was looking at his face. In this moment she knew that she was going to die. The wyrm seemed intent on getting rid of her. She felt herself being flung across the cavern. She heard the cracking of bones and all was dark for a while.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rowan stood stunned. Alcyávëiel had saved his life. He heard the cracking of bones and he cringed. Time seemed to stop for a moment as the company stood in horror. First Nalin, now Alcyávëiel. The dragon turned around and the company continued fighting, but Rowan didn’t. He had to see to Alcyávëiel. He owed it to her, because if she had gotten hurt it would have been Rowan. He would have died.

“Alcyávëiel can you hear me?” Rowan asked shaking her gently. She stirred and she opened her eyes.

“Rowan” she said. Her breathing was going ragged.

“Tell my husband to meet me in the halls of Mandos” she continued, her voice wavering. One single tear rolled silently down her check and she closed her eyes. And never again was Alcyávëiel ever seen by a mortal soul. Never again was she to return home to Mirkwood nor to her winery.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

A roar from the dragon brought Rowan back to earth. The dragon was still alive. Rowan rose his sword in the air. That was when he noticed that the dragon had walked simply through the wall. Rowan could make out a figure crying over another.

“Lostlondwen! Look out!” He cried but it was too late. In seconds she was laying next to the other figure.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Old 07-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #154
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel's post:

Glawr was no longer afraid. He had seen the enemy and deemed it weak. Now, he had just played with them for a while before beating them: those rats squeaking in his mighty feet. Such creatures would not stand long between Glawr the Great and his glorious future as the terror of all Middle-earth!

Brooding these thoughts he tossed his head back and let out the most horrible sound that had ever echoed even in those cursed caverns. A high-pitched shriek mingled with roll of thunder deafened his enemies and they cowered in pain. No more games: the dragon was determined to kill with every stroke. He opened his great jaw and stooped down his head with terrible force and speed.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:30 PM   #155
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Eruwen's post:

Callo watched as the ground began to shake beneath his very feet. He could hear the immense pounding of the dragon’s steps as it came closer to the room. Suddenly a tall, dark shadow appeared just a few feet from where he was hiding.

"Now!" Elentari yelled as the wyrm itself became visible.

Callo ran with Elentari towards the head to try to hold it off, but there was no use. The wyrm saw the attack and swung its tail around at a rapid speed. Callo ducked beneath the frightening blow and threw his stick aside. Weapons were needed here. He took an arrow from the quiver around his shoulder and quickly put it to his bow.

"Aim for its belly," cried Elentari. "Aim for the softest part!"

As he watched Elentari dive beneath the dragon towards its stomach, Callo looked for a spot to shoot. He aimed carefully and shot as close as he could, but it did not phase the monster at all. He stepped back for a moment to think, and then his eyes wandered toward the beast’s eyes.

"Elentari, keep the beast’s attention as much as you can," Callo yelled.

"Why, what are you planning on doing?" she yelled back still fighting with whatever she could to save her life.

Callo smiled a wry smile and began to back away from the beast but not turning his vision away. He climbed on top of a large boulder at the back of the room and began to climb upward. As he made his was in the direction of a slight crevice in the rock, he could hear the screams of others in the company. He began to climb faster and faster until he reached the dangerously high ledge on the wall.

As he climbed onto the ledge, Callo stood as much as he could. From this point he was high enough to be face to face with the dragon. He slowly pulled another arrow from his quiver and put it to his bow. He stared at the beast’s eyes in anger and glee. Aiming high at the wyrm’s eyes, he let the arrow fly. The arrow hit directly on the mark making the dragon let out a hideous cry. Many of the members of the company backed away as the dragon pulled the arrow from its pupil. Elentari searched to find Callo on the wall and then back at the dragon.

"He’s trying to blind the wyrm," Elentari said aloud. "Let’s go, everyone! Keep the wyrm’s attention! It’s losing vision as we speak!"

The company tried their best to fight off the dragon, but the beast did not seem to be fighting back with as much force as before. As Callo pulled out another arrow and set it to his bow, he quickly looked up to find the wyrm staring in his direction. Callo’s eyes widened as the beast made his way toward the wall. Callo shot many more arrows at it, but the wyrm kept on coming…closer to the wall. Aiming at the dragon’s now revealed belly, he shot another arrow, but the beast knocked it away.

"Callo, get down from there!" he heard someone of the company yell towards him.

Callo looked down below at the ground and then at the dragon. I might just have enough time, He thought as he began his journey back down the steep wall. Noticing the dragon was almost in reach of him, Callo jumped and fell the rest of the way until he hit the floor. He managed to find his bow quickly which had fallen from his hand on the way down, and put an arrow in shooting position. It hit the beast’s stomach, but it did not do enough damage to cause it to cease its walk.

Callo could hear, and at some points see, the others in the company trying to hold off the dragon. Their help was very fortunate for at times the dragon would turn away from Callo letting the Elf escape to a further distance, but eventually the dragon would catch up again. Callo shot many more times, but only a few of these were successful. The dragon continually walked forward until it had Callo up against the other side of the room unable to escape.

As the dragon picked up a broken sword that had been dropped by someone in the room, Callo saw Elentari come towards the side of the beast and shoot once again at its stomach. The wyrm flinched for a moment in pain, and Callo took another shot. In immense anger, the dragon quickly looked into Callo’s eyes and thrust the sword in to the Elf’s lower stomach.

Callo bent low in pain as he screamed a deafening scream. The dragon turned towards the others of the company contented with his defeat of the Elf and lashed out his mighty tail giving Callo one final blow. Callo was knocked to the ground roughly by the painful scales and he lay in deep pain for many minutes. He managed to lift his head to see the others one last time as they continued to fight off the beast, and he pulled the sword from his abdomen. His vision began to fade slowly, and Callo took his last breath. He now joined the other fallen members of their company.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:30 PM   #156
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel's post:

For a moment the dragon stood between Gráin and the rest of the company and the dwarf couldn’t see what went on in the front. The drake’s tail whipped the air before him blocking his way to the fore. I must get to the others! he thought but was forced to step further backwards as the scaled tail nearly raked his face.

Suddenly Gráin saw Elentari run from under the beast and slash the swaying tail. Her sword broke to pieces and caused the dragon no real damage. But seeing the elf’s desperate charge Gráin knew he couldn’t cower any longer. With a cry he leapt forward, ducked a deathly lash and escaped.

At least one blow before the end! rang in Gráin’s head and he raised his axe. But the sight that opened before his eyes stopped him dead.

"No!" Dread echoed in his voice. The dragon held someone in his claws and, even as Gráin cried out, he flung his prey across the cavern like a rag-doll.

"Alcyávëiel..." Gráin’s whisper rasped in the horrified silence that landed on the battle field. His friend was gone; he had come too late. Time seemed to stand still.

As Vráin had seen the wyrm stoop down in charge he had made a final decision. With a ringing clang his axe fell to the ground. Steel flashed as he drew two knives from his belt and then pulled his arms behind his head. The dragon’s gaping jaw neared Rowan threateningly. Vráin aimed and spoke a silent prayer:

Gods, guide my hands…

And with the speed of lightning he flung his arms forward in an arch and threw his weapons towards the beast’s eye.

But it was fated that those knives would never hit their target. For the dragon turned abruptly to meet another enemy and the knives broke into shivers against the bronze scales of his neck.

What he saw next froze his blood: the drake had seized his prey. For a moment Alcyávëiel hung high above the ground in its iron clasp. Vráin’s mouth opened to a shout but no words came out. Alcyávëiel hit the wall, slumped down to the floor and lay still.

Vráin felt his heart stop beating. His thought flew from Alcyávëiel to Farin and then back to the fallen elf. Broken families, lovers that shan’t meet again… But his spirit wouldn’t yield - and suddenly his sorrow turned to flaming wrath.

"Curse and death! I won’t have it!" And with that he drew another pair of knives from under his tunic and leapt forward.

Just then the dragon staggered and let out a shriek of pain. Vráin looked up in wonder and saw the beast pull out an arrow from its pierced eye.

"He’s trying to blind the wyrm," he heard Elentari’s cry. "Let’s go, everyone! Keep the wyrm’s attention! It’s losing vision as we speak!"

Blessed Callo! Vráin breathed as his eyes finally caught sight of the elf on a high ledge. Now all we need to do is get back to the main chamber… But he rejoiced too early. For Glawr, rage blazing in his seeing eye, roared and stormed forth, resolved to crush the miserable creature that had dared to deliver such blow on him. With a gasp Vráin perceived the imminent peril.

"Callo, get down from there!" he shouted and ran after the rampaging dragon.

"Vráin, wait!" came a call from behind him. But he didn’t hear it nor would he have paid any heed to it had the call indeed reached his ears. So he rushed on, two small knives as his only weapons. Even if he had caught up with the beast in time it would have been to little avail.

Before him and beside him his companions ran, firing all their arrows or lashing with their swords in an attempt to stop the dragon. But luck seemed to have left them and fate played its cruel games with their lives. Callo managed to land safely – only to get stabbed by his enemy with a blade of one of his companions.

Vráin cried as if the sword had been thrust into his own flesh. Tears welled in his eyes and he halted. The knives fell clanking to the floor.

"Vráin?" This time he heard the call but didn’t raise his face to the speaker.

"Vráin, you can’t give in, not now! It’s time to avenge!" Gráin’s words were demanding but his tone was the one that roused Vráin.

"Here; take your axe and fight with me." Gráin continued, red flame flickering in his eyes. Finally Vráin looked up and the same fire burned in him. He closed his hand around the handle of his axe but instead of taking it he pushed it back to Gráin.

"Keep it for me once more, brother. For time has come…" With that he swung round and rushed on shouting back to the others as loud as he could:

"Come! Run! Run! Back to the main cave!"

"Come! Run! Back to the main cave!" Gráin heard Vráin call as he run away. Time has come…for what? Gráin thought, holding his brother’s axe in his left hand while clenching his own weapon in his right. No answer came to his mind but that didn’t matter.

"Elentari!" Gráin cried out; "We must follow Vráin!"

Elentari heard him and turned around. 'Why?' - Gráin read the question on her face but both knew there was no time for speech. The elf nodded and called for the remaining hunters, gesturing them to follow. Selvren, Ewinda and Rowan turned at her bidding and the companions steered towards the main cave. Gráin came last, running as fast as he could with his doubled burden.

Glawr still triumphed over slaying Callo and for a while he was unaware of what happened behind his back. But then he perceived, even through the deafening echoes of his own roaring, that the patter of the arrow rain had ceased and swords no longer banged against his scales. He swung round and witnessed the last lousy rat escape from the cavern to the tunnel.

Boiling over with rage Glawr tumbled after his prey. With couple of mighty leaps it reached the arched opening and shot inside. But, half blind as he was, he stumbled on the rough steppes leading to the tunnel. There was a great din as the dragon smashed against the wall. The rock cracked and the wall shattered.

But Glawr was unhurt and his fury unquenchable. Through the new opening he saw something that made him forget the runaways he had been chasing. His gleaming eye fixed on two elves cowering on the floor. When the other of them stood up and desperately swung her sword before his scaled nose a malicious laughter welled inside of him and came out as a horrid hiss.

Glawr rose and pushed forward through the hole. The squeaking voices of the intruders seemed to screech all around him as his two heavy whacks sent the elves flying across the hall.

Farin waited in the main hall, clutching to the rope but loth to climb up to where the captives waited. I can’t go! Not before Lenwe gets back with the other prisoners. Not before I see Vráin and Perin again… Her last thought sent shivers through her body and made her heart skip a beat. Would she see the ones she loved ever again?

Just then she saw a bowed figure totter to the cave, his grey brown hair stained with dried blood.

"Perin!" Farin exclaimed and ran to her brother, nearly knocking him over as she reached him. "You are hurt!"

"It looks worse than it actually is," Perin tried to calm down his sister but leaned heavily on her shoulder. "Vráin saved me…"

Farin trudged slowly forward, staring to the ground - and the question hang between the siblings.

"I don’t know," whispered Perin, feeling his sister's pain; "I don’t know if he’s alive…" He had hardly finished when the sound of running feet echoed from the tunnel.

"We will both know soon." Farin said and stood still, ready to face whatever doom should fall on them. Only little hope was there left in her heart.

Vráin stumbled into the cave, panting and sweating. But even as he raised his face new strength streamed into him. For there, standing brave in the middle of the wide hall, was Farin – the light of his life. And Perin, whom Vráin had not dared to even hope to see again, stood beside her, bent but grave and bold. When they saw the comer a relieved shout escaped both their lips.

"Vráin!"

And Farin ran to him and Vráin held her close in his arms, afraid to let go again. But he had no time: no time to stay longer, to explain his plan.

"Farin, you need to get up and out. The dragon is coming!" And when he spoke those words a great tremor went through the ground and shook them.

"Now!" Vráin cried and helped Perin to the rope. He tied it around Perin’s waist before he had time to object. "Pull him up!" he called to those waiting on the roof. Then he put his hand over the dwarf’s shoulder and spoke gravely.

"Like brother you have become to me in this short time… Farewell!"

"Say rather: see you soon! For we will meet again." Perin said and then he was towed up.

Vráin turned to Farin:

"Now you’ll go after your brother."

"Only if you follow me!" Farin put her feet down.

"I will…" Vráin said as the rope’s tail dropped to the ground; …after I’ve finished my task. He tied Farin like her brother and pulled the rope as a sign. "I love you…" he whispered as Farin’s feet rose off the ground. And then Farin knew he wasn’t coming up after her.

"Vráin…" her voice failed and Vráin turned away.

For a second he faltered. The escape was at his reach and up there, outside, the sun was shining bright. But no, he couldn’t go! Not as long as his companions, his friends and his brother were in danger.

He had lingered too long already. Like a madman he now dashed towards the hall’s farthest nook where a red ember still glowed. From the middle of the dying fire there stood a long wooden shaft with iron mountings. Vráin grabbed the shaft and pulled.

In his hands was now a great spear. Its tridentate tip towered up to thirteen feet and burned with red flame. The wrath of elves and dwarves had forged it from a plate of iron: the last plate that would have finished the dragon’s suit of mail. Vráin looked up, grim smile on his lips. Then he clutched the shaft tight, run back across the hall and plunged into the tunnel.

"Stop him, stop him!" Selvren yelled desperately from the other cave, behind the heap of cracked rock. He was unable to do anything else but watch in horror as the dragon’s mighty claws struck down both Lostlondwen and her mother.

"No!" Gráin cried and leapt forward, over the remains of the wall. He ran under the drake’s forelimb and with all the strength of his right arm he rammed his axe to the great elbow. His blow hit the unbreakable scales and the blade broke in two. Clutching to Vráin’s axe now with his both hands Gráin came from under Glawr and placed himself between him and the motionless elves.

"Turn away!" Gráin’s voice echoed in the depths of the caves and tunnels; and so grand it suddenly sounded that even Glawr faltered. But the echoes died away and the spell was broken. The dragon rose to its full height and burst into a hideous, mocking laughter.

"And what will you do if I don’t? Will you turn me away? Many mightier have tried – and failed miserably. But enough talk: are you ready to die?" And Glawr stepped forward and bent its neck ready to strike. But Gráin stood still, indeed like stone from which his race was said to have born.

"No," he spoke, his voice so cold and calm that Glawr halted; "Turn away and meet your doom!"

Shadow of doubt passed over the dragon’s face. For a second he hesitated, staring at his prey. But Gráin looked away, behind the beast and deadly red light shone in his eyes. Following that gaze Glawr swung round with a roar. His claws hit the ground and his jaw opened wide. Whatever would attack him would crush against the bronze plates of his breast.

Vráin had come behind the beast and seen Gráin standing in front of it – stern, unyielding. Vráin halted.

Gráin! he turned all his thoughts towards his brother. And Gráin felt his presence and turned. The brothers’ eyes met - and Gráin smiled.

"Turn away and meet your doom!" Vráin heard his words and needed no other sign. The trident gleamed its inner light as Vráin lowered it to shoulder height and ran forward, silently; a grey shadow defying eternal night.

And even as he charged the dragon turned around to meet him. But Vráin didn’t look at its gaping jaw nor at its yellow eye full of malice. Bronze blazed in front of him, hard mail of scales that had fended off all blows – till now. For Vráin didn’t halt or waver. Using what strength was left in him he took one final leap and thrust his spear up and forward.

Glawr heard a sound that he had never heard before, nor would hear ever again: the wailing screech of his scales as they met with iron - and were pierced. For the flaming trident was forged from the metal the secret of which only he knew; the metal that should have made him invincible. One of life’s little ironies, he might have thought if ever he had been given a chance.

The wooden shaft broke and Vráin tumbled down to his knees. But the trident fell on its target and the red flame stabbed and burned Glawr’s cold black heart.

It is done! Vráin thought. The drake swayed; soon it would collapse, over him. But Vráin was too weary to move. It is done…

Vráin watched and the dragon fell down. But strong arms were around him and hauled him aside, not a moment too early. The earth shook for the last time.

"Now, isn’t this a better place to rest than under that carcase?" Selvren’s clear voice called to him, ringing in the air over the echoes of the rumble.

And though great grief for the fallen burdened his heart heavily Vráin had to smile: "Yes, thank you, Master elf!" But then he paled at remembering his brother.

"Gráin! Where is he?"

"Calm down," Elentari walked over to Vráin and kneeled beside him. "He’s coming, he’s unhurt."

"Yes, I’m here and quite alright. Rest now, my brother: you have earned it."

Vráin leaned back and, sighing deep, he closed his eyes.

"It is done…" he whispered one last time.

[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #157
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elentari's post:

Without her sword, which had for so long a time never failed her, Elentari could do little but shoot arrows aimlessly. There was no place to aim at, for the dragon never showed its belly, and when her quiver was empty she could only try to distract the great wyrm. But, it turned out, her distractions added to those attacking the beast could not prevent it picking up Alcyávëiel the throwing her to her death. Weeping bitterly, Elentari began throwing rocks toward the dragon's head, hoping to hit an eye.

Shrieking in pain, the dragon flung its tail about, nearly hitting Elentari's feet from beneath her. As she looked up, Elentari shouted with joy, seeing a bloody arrow in the beast's hand, blood oozing from its eye. But her joy was short lived. As Callo jumped down from the ledge, Elentari saw the shards of her own sword used to stab him. Time seemed to stand still, as Callo fell to his knees and breathed his last breaths. Running to him, Elentari had time to mouth the words 'Thank you' to him before he passed to a much fairer place, free from pain.

"Forgive me," said Elentari. Closing her eyes she grasped the handle of her sword and wrenched it from Callo's body, causing the wound to become more ghastly. Standing, Elentari took a cloth from her bag and carefully wiped the blade clean. Had it of been the blood of an enemy, she would not have bothered, but going back into battle with the blood of your friend and ally on your blade was disrespectful and incurs the wrath of the Gods.

"Elentari, we must follow Vrain."

Elentari turned to see Grain and those who were left following Vrain. She ran too, her tear-stained face full of misery and grief. How many more must die she thought, before we rid these lands of the dragon and are at peace?. Her hand tightened around the handle of her broken sword. She could feel the ground vibrating beneath her swiftly moving feet - the dragon was following them. Running into a large chamber, Elentari spun round to see Lostlondwen and another elf hit a wall, flung by the huge claws of the wyrm.

From then on, till Vrain's brave charge at the wyrm, things were unclear in Elentari's memory. Perhaps she had been hit by one of the falling rocks that had killed Lostlondwen and her mother, or perhaps it was the shock of seeing another of her friends along with her mother killed, but she would never know.

Elentari was filled with a sense of relief as she saw Vrain drive the trident into the wyrm's dark heart. She was even more relieved when Selvren pulled him out of the way of the falling dragon's body. Walking over she knelt beside the dwarf and told him Grain was all right, then went around healing wounds and bruises from the fight. But Elentari was deeply hurt by the amount of her friends the beast had killed. She had always questioned why the Gods left such things come into existence, but had never doubted that they were in control, and never would. Knowing no one else could die had the claw of the wyrm, Elentari set about the tasks of clearing up and did the job no one else wanted to do - to make her dead companions look as beautiful as they had when they were living.
~~~~~~~~~~~

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-10-2003, 11:32 PM   #158
Child of the 7th Age

Silmaril

Elven Maid Earwen's post

The dragon had been slain. The quest was now over. All that was left was to say goodbye and head home. Rowan had told Iarlhach what had happened to Alcyávëiel and he had told him what Alcyávëiel said. Iarlhach with love for his life decided that he would meet her soon, for he would sail west.

Rowan stood staring at the see as the sun set. It was beautiful. The wind blew softly. Rowan sighed. So much had happened on the quest. He had seen death, pain and despair, but he had also seen hope and love.

“Goodbye Nalin. Goodbye Alcyávëiel. Goodbye Merenwen. Goodbye Callo” he whispered softly remembering his companions who had died. They were all very brave and they had become his friends. He would miss them.

Rowan turned around. First he said goodbye to the dwarf brothers and Farin and Perin. Then he headed towards Iarlhach and said his goodbyes to him.

“Tell Alcyávëiel thank you. She saved my life.” Rowan said slowly.

“I will”.

He told his goodbyes to Ewinda.

“Elentari you have been a great guide are quest. May we meet again soon.” He said his goodbyes to Lenwe too and then he headed towards Lostlondwen and her mother.

“ You are truly brave Lostlondwen, and I will remember your bravery,” he said choosing his words carefully.

“Thank you.”

“And Lostlondwen. I finally have an answer to your question.” He said with a smile. “I am going to go home and see my family. I will live happily till the end of my days. Always to remember the people I have seen and met and the place I have been on this quest. To remember their bravery, their loyalty and their courage. Farewell.”

And with this he rode of east on Bulëgalad. It was going to be a long and hard journey but Rowan knew he would survive. After all he did survive the dragon.

And Rowan comes no more into this tale nor is any tale ever told of the rest of his life.

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #159
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After exchanging goodbyes with his companions, and offering special congratulations to Farin and Vràin, Lenwe walked quietly over to where Elentari was seated. He tried to look casual as he crouched down and softly whispered a question, "Are you catching a ship at the Havens or going overland to Mirkwood?"

She stared toward the distant horizon to the west and responded in a steady voice, "East. I choose to go east. My path leads to Mirkwood. And you?" she queried, looking deep into his eyes.

Lenwe hesitated a minute before answering. He gazed enviously over at Vràin and Farin who sat side-by-side with their fingers tightly intertwined. Their voices were silent. They had no need of words but were able to communicate everything that mattered just by the sparkling ilght which had been kindled in both their hearts. The Sea still did not tug at Lenwe in the same way that it did for others of his kind. Yet, he still could not forget that the West was a place where he could again be with his wife.

For a moment he hesitated. Then his decision was made. His uncertainty passed, and quiet resolve took its place. Valinor and Tol Eressea would be there in another year, or a decade, or even five thousand years from now. And his beloved wife would still be waiting, surrounded by her friends and cherished family members.

Lenwe had the funniest sensation that he was meant to stay in Middle-earth just a little longer. Perhaps to do something in Mirkwood, where King Thrainduil had asked him to come and teach his skills as a scout to Legolas and several of the younger Elves. For some strange reason, Lenwe sensed those skills might someday be needed; perhaps they would even be important in defeating another tiny sliver of evil just as the company had done this very day in the Blue Mountains.

What would his wife say if he could speak with her about his choice? Lenwe knew her well enough to have no doubts. She would tell him to wait, to do what he thought was right and only then to set sail to the West with a clear heart and a clean conscience. What was the sense of being in Valinor if all you could do was sit and wonder if there was something left undone behind you?

He looked over to Elentari and smiled, "Mirkwood, I also go to Mirkwood. I have an invitation from the King to teach some of the younger woodland Elves. Perhaps, we can ride there together once we drop the others off on their road home?"

The Elf stood up and grinned and then extended her hand outward, "It's a bargain, Lenwe. Turn about is fair play. You helped us through the Blue Mountains. Now I'll introduce you to the forest that I love." With that she turned and walked away to continue caring for the many who lay injured among her companions and the newly rescued captives.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #160
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As the company now went their separate ways, Elentari sang a song. Her voice was beautiful, and all those in the Havens could hear it, for her voice was carried by the wind.

"Once, I fought a great beast of old,
But I returned safely, though my friends did not.
And yet again, I find I've fought,
A great Wyrm from who knows where.
And yet again I've survived,
Though not all my friends have.

I mourn the loss,
Of my dear friends.
I can only blame myself,
But yet I did all I could,
Even Elbereth could not help them,
But their deaths were not in vain.

Nalin, Alcyávëiel, Selvren, Merenwen, Callo,
You gave your lives for your friends,
And you'll stay in our hearts,
Till the end of our days and forever more.

I know I will one day face another,
My destiny is to free these lands from pain,
But when will I stop wandering these lands,
And join my loved ones in the Havens to the west?
Maybe one day I'll find my place,
And go there to be at peace.

Hear my words, O you things of the night,
I'll find where you are and hunt you down.
I'm not afraid to face the call,
That draws me and leads me to you.

Hear my words, O free peoples,
Do not fear what lies ahead,
You must learn to face the truth,
And accept it with open arms.

Elbereth, O Star Queen,
I thank you now.
You've watched over me,
And have saved me once more."

Elentari turned back towards Mirkwood, her broken sword wrapped carefully so it could be reforged, to take her place once more as Spyder Slayer. She knew one day Middle Earth would be completely free from darkness, and then she would join her friends in Valinor.

[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]