The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
Felis Dei

Good vs Evil

In some unrelated threads there were some quite interesting discussions going on about how Tolkien portrayed the relations between good and evil in his works. I thought it would be interesting to hear your views on this subject in particular.
So what do you think the proportions are? Is evil stronger? How does it relate to the corresponding situation in our own world ( if possible to compare)?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Inasmuch as these books have inherent Judeo-Christian values (the author certainly did) the theme that permeates our own world certainly applies in Middle-Earth as well. It is not entirely different in Middle-Earth, either. Sauron seems to have a very dark, powerful hold on Middle-Earth, much like Christians believe Satan has a very powerful hold on earth. But in the end, even Sauron's victory is not assured. I think this message is kind of conveyed several ways in the books -- particularly espoused by Gandalf, I believe, and also portrayed in Mordor, when Sam gazes up into the star of Ëarendil and comes to a realization that, like the movie puts it, in the end, it's really a passing thing, this Shadow. Fully realizing this, he falls into a peaceful sleep.

It's also shown that, even when evil seems the strongest, and when good seems to be utterly defeated (aka Helm's Deep, the plains of Moronann), it is still demanded of anyone to continue to fight for what is right. Aragorn and Théoden had hardly a chance of defeating the evil forces by a reckless charge out the causeway, plowing into the hoards of Uruk-hai. I still get cold chills not when the first charge, but in the resolve of both Théoden and Aragorn in the movie.

Aragorn -"Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them."

Théoden - "For death and glory."

Aragorn - "For Rohan. For your people."

Théoden - "Yes. Yes. The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound again in the deep -- one last time!!"

That's where the bravery exists - to stand for Right and Good when there is absolutely NO chance of survival. What chance had 6,000 against the numerous troops of Mordor, yet Aragorn led his troops on that suicide march in the frail hope that, though they would be crushed, they might give future civilizations a chance at life, and liberty. That's at least part of good vs. evil, from where I stand.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote