The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2002, 07:28 AM   #1
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe LOTR related illnesses or injuries

I can't beleive I just now remembered this....
When I was 12 I contracted spinal meningitis on the lining of my eyes. Very serious. My eyes looked like Frodo's after the Morgul-blade stabbing. All blood shot and nasty looking.
I just hope the elvish medicine Frodo received did not include the gloopy nasty oil based stuff I had to put in my eyes every and I mean every 2 hours (nights included) for days to keep me from going blind or dying.
Anyways...who else had something happened that is like in LOTR? You know, being shot with arrows or about drowning trying to follow a dear friend.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:22 AM   #2
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
The Eye

That sounds terrible!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Well, about a year or so ago I got food poisoning and was throwing up my guts. I had to miss school, and I looked more haggard than anything. Yep ... I told everyone I had gotten stabbed with a Morgul-knife.
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #3
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Looks like we got something in common!!

(sorry, posted reply before I was finished)
Old 10-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

A few weeks ago my friend and I were renacting Boromirs death scene with our tenis raquets on the bleechers to the football staduim during practice. Near the end of the scene (when aragorn leans down and hands the dying boromir his sword) I fell off the side of the bleachers! Luckily we were near the bottom allready, but it was still quite a fall! I got a big bruise on my knee, and had a limp for three days...
Old 10-02-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You know, Gliniel, next time that happens you can just click on "Edit Post". I do it all the time.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:44 AM   #6
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thanks!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I am not sure that you would call this an ingury, but in the autum, I get this weird longing to go and be in the woods. I call it the wood-longing, and I think it is a bit like the sea-longing of the Elves (not that I am that important, just a Neumanorean of the 7th age)
Old 10-09-2002, 08:36 PM   #8
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

i always get messed w/ by the upperclassmen. (espessally in marching band) we're all friends and we just mess around, but they like to do just about anything b/c i can't fight back (lol that height difference again!) and jj always calls me a stupid hobbit. haha, he better b joking around.
i noe that had nothing to do w/ an injury, but i probably will get one sumday when they throw me into a wall jus messin around and i have to go to the hospital! but it's all in good fun and hopefully that will never really happen.
but i feel related to any hobbit that's around a human or elf and feel's really small compared to them. hey i'm just wasting ur time if ur reading this so enough from me!
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:48 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You need Sting. That'll help next time one of those upperclassmen try to throw you into the wall. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #10
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

UUGH! Food poisoning. Giliniel, you didn't by chance eat orc food did you? I got that once from a sub, couldn't eat another one for at least a year.

Lady Galadriel- I suppose falling off of bleachers is an occupational hazard when fighting the Uruk-Hai!

Artanis- Call me crazy but I think I get the "wood-longing" too. That's a neat name for it. Just don't leave us like the elves did. Such splendor would be missed.

Jeli, Jeli, Jeli- what can I say? I think Diamond18 is right. And you know, from one hobbit to another, despite the downside, I love being short!
Old 10-10-2002, 11:51 AM   #11
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Aww, all the unfortunate Barrow Downs-ers. *pats symphathetically*

A LOTR-related injury happened to me a week ago. My brother, my dad, and I were all watching FOTR on the sofa. My dad got up to make some popcorn, so me and my brother paused the movie so he wouldn't miss anything.
Well, we started acting out the scene we had been in the midst of watching before pausing the movie, which was the scene were the Fellowship is climbing the snowy mountain (Caradhras? spelling wrong). We were walking across the couch, and he was pretending to be Gandalf and I was acting as Legolas, lightly stepping across the "snow" as he pretended to trudge. Well, my foot suddenly plummeted through the cushions of the couch and hit the floor. On the way down, my foot scraped harshly against some of the metal inners of the couch, and that hurt alot. >_O

My foot was stuck in the couch (it was quite painful), and my brother was laughing at me and saying "looks like the elf isn't as light as a feather as we though!" [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] He finally helped me get my foot out.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:08 PM   #12
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

yeah i do need sting, that's a great idea! *rubs hands together* and yes "despite the downside" i love bein short too!

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Jeli Baggins ]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:23 PM   #13
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, I now know that I am not too crazy! I have met a few others who get it. I don't think I am leaving anytime soon, but nobody that knows me in the flesh would be too sorry to see me go! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #14
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

AAAH! Dark Rose, you cheese-grated your foot?! I'm in pain just thinking about. It all right now?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:46 AM   #15
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

The three-volume hard-back of LoTR could cause tennis elbow or repetitive strain injury if read carelessly. It's a pretty heavy book.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:35 AM   #16
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

what is tennis elbow,if oyu please?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:39 AM   #17
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

According to medinfo.co.uk:

Quote:
Tennis Elbow or Lateral Epicondylitis is a condition when the outer part of the elbow becomes painful and tender, usually as a result of a specific strain, overuse, or a direct bang. Sometimes no specific cause is found.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:06 AM   #18
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At my cottage, there is a river, and a bunch of people dug out this one section of it, where the kids can swim. (we now call it the "swimming hole". So creative) Anyways, this is a part of the river, so the current is pretty strong. near the end of the swimming hole is a tiny waterfall, made of rough slabs of conrete. Well, my cousin, my sister and I were doing Boromir's death scene, where he's in the boat, but they would always stop me before I went over the waterfall. Trusting my sister=BAD IDEA. They didn't catch me, and I went over, (feet first, in cas eyou were wondering) and nearly go swept away. I had all these cuts (and later, bruises)down my legs, and my cousin and sister were laughing their heads off.
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:24 AM   #19
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Thanks for the info [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #20
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Has anyone noticed that most of the pain on this board comes from being Boromere?
Old 10-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #21
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Quote:
AAAH! Dark Rose, you cheese-grated your foot?! I'm in pain just thinking about. It all right now?
Hehe, its alright now, I assure you. I just got some minor scrapes. My dignity was injured the most. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that most of the pain on this board comes from being Boromere?
Yeah, I noticed that, too! Could be some kind of psychic foreshadowing or something. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 08:16 AM   #22
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Or perhaps history repeating itself? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2002, 05:22 PM   #23
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

I love being short too!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I got another injury a few days ago... My friends and I were acting out the scene on weathertop (i believe) when frodo gets stabbed, and ya know how frodo kinda stumbles and then falls over, well i actually TRIPPED!!! I slipped on some soda that was spilled on the floor... Yeah.... I fell down, and everyone just kept going because they thought i ment to do that... well my friend who was being the wraith that stabbes frodo stabbed me and i yelled out... he thought he hurt me, but it was actually when i fell i cut my knee.. you know, when your knees get all red, and have big scrapes on them, and they only bleed for like a few seconds, then are just painful for the next few days? Yup... not so bad, but....

by the way... this girl in my tennis class actually got tennis elbow, not to long ago... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:43 PM   #24
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

I get that wood longing too! I'm also a bit on the short side myself, so sometimes I feel like a hobbit. Now, this may not be considered an illness, but I think I'm an elf. I just get this deep longing to be an elf, and live in Rivendell, and go off in the woods, and do elvish type things. It's like this uncontrolable desire.... I must be an elf at heart!!!
Arwen
Old 10-23-2002, 09:40 AM   #25
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm lucky and have a wood at the bottom of my garden (nice big garden) and if I'm bored im usually in there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Injuries? Erm, I was running from the 'nazgul' once when I fell over, on gravel, ow! I got a stone stuck in my knee and I couldn't bend it until I managed to get it out. Also, when I've been running too much I get wheezy (I have asthma(sp?)) and I sound a bit like frodo after he's been stabbed, and they say running's good for you!

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 10-23-2002, 02:53 PM   #26
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Dragoneyes- It was a good thing you got that peice of gravel out of your knee before it worked its way to your heart and you became a wraith!
I'm sure it happened so fast, but I think a Nazgul tripped you so the gravel could do its evil deed. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Glad you're allright.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #27
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm... perhaps you're right, perhaps sauron is back to take over the world! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]:
Old 10-31-2002, 05:37 PM   #28
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Argh! Okay, so today is Halloween, right? I dressed as Galadriel, right? I mean, I even had Elf ears and flat sandals on (no heels...well, I'm 5'10" anyway, I don't really need them...and I couldn't go barefoot, since it was about 33 degrees Farenheit when I left my house this morning). The day went well, except that no one but my friends knew who Galadriel is (I almost physically assaulted one girl who said, "Who's Galadriel? An Elf queen? Oooooh...you mean from that "Middle Earth" place...from that movie right? What was that called? Hold on...I'll think of it..." GAAAAAAAAR! Read...a...book...please *calms down and pants a bit*). Well, I was walking down the stairs out of Spanish class...and, suddenly I felt my sandal slip a little. I missed the stair and fell down the stone stairs...luckily it was only my feet and ankles that got hurt. But now, I am limping around in a very un-Elvish manner. Well, at least I concealed the limping for the rest of the day (now I look like a gimpy Galadriel, but...). So that's my LotR-related injury...pity me [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ October 31, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 01-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #29
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AH! i hope all you guys are okay!! the only thing thats happened to me is sort of like that asthma thing (u spelled it rite, dont worry) and i BARELY sound like Frodo does. But then again i rarely act out scenes. at least i try to but nobody joins in. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img].
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:44 PM   #30
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm the shortest in my whole class (VERY short), Have dark brown (alost black) curly hair, and (You guessed it) blue eyes. And I love it!!

Anyway,
My class went skiing/snowboarding and as I was climbing a steep hill towards my friend, (she had my skis) I slipped and fell and started to roll down the hill. Luckily, my other friend stopped me.

For fun she took off one of her rings and threw it into the snow and my friend at the top picked it up and we did the whole Boromir/Frodo/Aragorn scene.

----------------------
I'm 95% Hobbit.
The other 5%? Who cares!!

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #31
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

like Arwen1858 i think im an elf(i've got an mental illness [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) and sometimjes i get sea longing never got wood longing. but i could say i have a mental illness because for some odd reson i think im some very imortant elf in the wrong world. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:36 PM   #32
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

My happy fun LOTR injuries came about when I constructed my Ringwraith costume.

I was making hand gaunlets, and when I bound them to the gloves, I burned myself. I was trying to get the armor to better conform to the shape of my hands. Well, I burned 3 of my fingers pretty bad (blisters and all). It didn't really hurt until it started to blister!

Also, I injured my ceiling a few times! Whenever I get a new sword (I collect the United Cutlery swords), I'm always playing with them! So I've scratched my ceiling...twice... So much for getting my deposit back!
Old 02-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #33
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This one's kinda dumb, but oh well. I was in the kitchen talking to my Dad on the phone, and he was about to say goodbye when my sister yells, "Two Towers trailer! Two Towers trailer!!!" from the family room where she had been watching TV. I make Dad say good-bye really fast and then I run into the family room, conveniently not noticing the glass coffee table in my path... hehe Needless to say, I rammed right into it and my knee hurt A LOT... all night long. That was the day of the Golden Globes and my sister and I had been watching all the pre-'stuff' just in case there were any interviews with the cast.

...Later that night...

Everybody decides to go to bed 'cause it's late and they're tired. The Globes are still on, and I'm waiting for Best Film, so I stay up and watch...
Stupid Best Film Announcer: And the Best Film of the year is... The Hours...
?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Anyway, I was really mad, and thus hit my knee (yes, that knee) really hard with my fist, forgetting, in my rage, my injury... OWWW, did that hurt!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #34
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

ouch bet that hurt

well my sister shot me with a arrow
Old 08-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #35
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I had bought the greatest sword from Mexico, which looked totally Elven. It had a wooden hilt, with two silver eagle heads back to back, making up the pommel. I was practicing with it (more like playing around with it), and I accidentally impaled my calf with it! Well, not really, but I accidentally stabbed my right calf with the sword, which hurt!!!!!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:50 PM   #36
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
How true! I was cleaning a carving knife that was quite old and I didn't realize how sharp it still was. I sliced my finger just as Boromir does on the shards of Narsil! That carving knife is now named "Shards of Narsil!"

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:07 AM   #37
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was stabbed by a bloody morgul blade!...

(not really [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) but sometimes exams will do that to ya!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:24 AM   #38
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I break my toes a lot. Only I don't kick Uruk helmets to do it...

Quote:
Well, I am not sure that you would call this an injury, but in the autumn, I get this weird longing to go and be in the woods. I call it the wood-longing, and I think it is a bit like the sea-longing of the Elves (not that I am that important, just a Numenorean of the 7th age)
This is what I suffer from just about all year round. In the spring I long for either Rivendell or a blossomy field or a bluebell wood, in summer I long for the fields and the sea, in autumn I long for the sea, the stone walls of Minas Tirith, or the fading woods, and in winter I long for either the fading woods, Minas Tirith, or spring.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #39
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Sting

I get wood longing too! My friends think I'm crazy...what do they know?

Well, this is probably kinda lame, but I got stuck with this real cow of a girl in Gym, and we were carrying a bench somewhere, and she managed to "accidentally" slam me up against the wall with the end of it...I felt so sorry for Frodo in Moria after that... she nearly broke my ribs ¬_¬

I called her Cave Troll for months after though. Bwahahahaha! Revenge is sweet!

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Anything but Arwen ]
Old 08-31-2003, 01:09 PM   #40
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think I have wood-longing too, though no wood are near where I live. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] but whenever I go into the mountains I love it because there are lots of trees, although there was that huge fire (those poor trees and the animals that live there) well anyway a few years back or at least a year back. I was really horribly sick, not throwing up, but I was practically paralyzed I had to stay in bed all day I could barely move and I was sweating profusely, I felt that I was going to die... and I was listening to the Fellowship soundtrack, lying there in my bed, the mattress being saturated by mt sweat i didn't have my blankets on, my mom was trying to cool me down.

Anyway I hoped so badly that Aragorn would come in with kingsfoil (Athelas..hope I spelled that right) and heal me much like he did to Eowyn when she killed the Ringwraith but was paralyzed and fell to darkness.

I felt very much like her, I could make up the excuse that I killed a Nazgul and that was why I was sick. Thankfully i'm better now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I always call my friends by their stature.. i'm an Elf, and one of my friends is a Dwarf and another is a Hobbit. At first she didn't like it that I called her a dwarf but I reassured her that dwarves are very cool, loyal and hardy people. I don't think my other friend knows I call her a Hobbit [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] One of my guy friends calls me a Hobbit though [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]