The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:22 AM   #201
Ughósh the Abominable
Pile O'Bones

Ughósh the Abominable has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ughósh the Abominable
Pipe

Hi friends-

I've known about this site for a while, but only recently started coming here often. Geez, I thought I knew a lot about Lord of the Rings before, but holy crap was I wrong! Thanks for opening up a whole new dimension of Tolkien knowledge for me!

To many memorable discussions, debates, and comic fiascoes in the months to come. *toast*
Old 08-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #202
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Welcome! Have fun, and post often! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:04 PM   #203
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey Ughosh! Wow, your name sounds fearsome! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Happy posting. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Old 08-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #204
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

To lordess _mystique:
Hey Yulli! I didn't know you singed up! Izzy just told me you did... I was away again, so sorry I didn't welcome you earlier. Hope you enjoy the Downs as much as I do!

-Maya
Old 08-28-2003, 11:08 PM   #205
Elaron

Sting

Im new around here but I look forward to using the site to further my knowledge of Tolkein and maybe help some other people learn some more.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:33 AM   #206
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Elaron! *smiles*
Enjoy your stay and post often!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:17 AM   #207
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome New People!!!!! we were all once in your shoes...! uh.. thats all i have to say now, so ill just say it again Welcome!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-29-2003, 07:17 AM   #208
Unwashed Hobbit

Sting

I aqm also not that"new" to Tolkien by hi, I'm unwashed hobbit (or stinker)

Old 08-29-2003, 09:08 AM   #209
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Hi! I am tachnically new to Barrow Downs, but I was a member here some eons ago.

I am Forest Walker, also known across the web as Gaia, or Forest Dweller. So, here I am again, after being absent from lotr-obsessiveness for a long time, i saw a link to this site somewhere, so i decided to check out if anything had changed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and don't worry if i make no sense sometimes, I have a habit of going very silly if i ingest chocolate or caffeine (so basically evry day) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #210
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Welcome forest walker person. and all the rest of the newly dead. I have taken to heart to post seldom and not to get all excited over the rank under your screen name. The only place I will post everyday is in real good discussions or in the RP bords. Poi and the rest of the mods do a great job and need to be respected. If Poi(poisonel[sp?) does a save for you or edets your post don't get balistic, it is for your own good. Not to mention before you you even travers into the inn you should have already read the rules in the Red book. But like I have stated before, give the mods what they want, and don't hate them and especially don't flaim them or anyone else! Have fun but not at someone elses expense and please post intelagently.

And by-the-way it is two taps of the enter key to make a seperate paragraph not one.

Annalaliath
Old 08-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #211
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Welcome all newbies! Glad to have ya! Hope that you will soon be familar with forum and member. Please read the Rules in the beginning of each section, and enjoy being dead!

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 08-30-2003, 02:25 AM   #212
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
enjoy being dead!
Remembers solemly*** Yes we are dead arent we! Thats bad luck...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-31-2003, 04:36 AM   #213
Eleriina

Pipe

Greetings All

I have known about this forum for sometime now but I never really had the time to join, but look here I am. I am quite eager to start posting in all the forums but most of all the books (I am only fourteen and I fear the discussions might be a bit advanced for me, but hey its worth a try)! I enjoyed Tolkien’s works such as The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and best yet Silmarillion (Then again I enjoyed all the books he wrote, that is the one's I've read)!

Old 09-02-2003, 02:42 AM   #214
finafyr

Sting

Hello .. my name is FInafyr.. I have been a lover of all things Tolkien for over 30 years.. I just wanted to say hello
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

could someone Please tell me how to get an avatar.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: finafyr ]

Old 09-02-2003, 03:15 AM   #215
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Welcome to everyone new ever.

Enjoy your time here, hopefully it will be long (unless you find a way to un-die yourself).

For your avatar, just click on "my profile", which is in the top right-hand corner. And then "View/Update profile" then scroll down until you find "Your Picture" where you put the URL in.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 AM   #216
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

*Arwen* has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HEY! I'M *ARWEN* AND IM NEW HERE.
I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO GO!

I AM HAVING FUN ON THE RPGs ASWELL
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"
Old 09-02-2003, 06:26 AM   #217
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Having fun playing with you, *Arwen* sweetie. Hope to see you ever more around there.

Finafyr, welcome - I do like your name. Sounds sort of delicate, yet fiery. I like very much. As for being a Tolkien-lover...well, you're in good and plentiful company here!

Eleriina - (the same goes for Finafyr for your name, lovely.) Have a try at the books - you may be surprised. The discussions are generally interesting for all, no matter what age (I am also 14 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ). Don't feel restricted to one forum though - most all of the sections in the barrowdowns are good *cough*RPGing*cough* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Forest Walker - nice avatar. An old member, huh? Well, at least you'll know your way around! And as for getting silly under the influence of caffeine or chocolate...ah, I see several people over there who will be glad to make your acquaintance! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Unwashed Hobbit - lol, I like the name. Hmm, stinker...

Elaron - nice sig, thoughtful, and true. As for knowledge - you'll also find yourself in good company, and I'm sure your knowledge and quest for it will be welcomed. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ughosh - as Tarien said, wow, fearsome name! *clinks glass against Ughosh's, careful not to knock over the bloodstained axe nearby* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #218
Vanaelda

Silmaril

I am really depressed and I need consoling so if anyone can email me please email me at the following addy: goodfriendmel@mhs-pa.org [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #219
Rick

Sting

I've been lurking here for a while, but decided to start participating. I'm long-time LOTR/Hobbit/etc. reader, reading them all at least once a year, so I'm no "Novice"...

Old 09-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #220
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

Um, Hi,I'm Elwen, I just joined, a little lost, but it looks nice here. I've read the books during the past year, including the Silmarillion, and I've become a big fan. I hope to enjoy my time spent here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2003, 05:34 AM   #221
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Vanaelda, check your PMs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rick - ah ha, a lurker! Well, novice or no, welcome to the Barrowdowns as a full time member. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Elwen starmaiden - another lovely name. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Little lost? Try the RPG rooms (The Shire, Rohan, and Gondor) for something a little different, especially if you like writing (and if you think you don't, I'm sure we can bring you around! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) Also, the Barrowdowns section is good for rather random topics, and its a place where you can get to know other barrowdowners better and make yourself better known.

-Aman
Old 09-03-2003, 11:50 PM   #222
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh yes to all Newly deads: Amandule the Archer is one to watch.( where is my pocket dictionary when I need it?) Aman is one of the people I respect in the Shire, hence the reason I never started any mischef in the green dragn. So welcome all of you and have fun.( I need to get back to my sewing...)
Old 09-05-2003, 05:35 PM   #223
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings, fellow humanoid life forms! I am Maethorien. I am also slightly insane, in case you hadn't noticed. I have loved Tolkein since I first read Lord of the Rings, though I only really became obsessed this summer.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #224
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Welcome. Don't worry you arn't the only insaine fan here. Although, being insaine is fun sometimes.

Welcome and have fun. Remember we are all dead here on the Downs.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:13 PM   #225
you are within my realm

Silmaril

Hi im new here too. i'd just like to say that this site is pretty kool and that im really having a good time replying to everyone.

Don't Forget to rate me! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #226
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I can't rate you newly dead. But welcome anyway.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:31 AM   #227
seremela

Sting

Greetings

I am a fourteen year old newbie here (a girl incase you would like to know)! It is great to finally belong to a forum that is worth belonging to. It looks like a great forum that is fun but serious. I mainly joined the site for the RPG’s but I am sure I’ll enjoy the other forums. I most certainly will see you all around!

~ Séreméla ~

Old 09-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #228
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Nyiff, not too serious, don't worry [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Welcome Séreméla (ha, I can do this accent deal...) - I love your name, by the way. Ah, another prospective RPGer, excellent...

you are within my realm - lol, well, an original name! Welcome, you are within my realm (woah, bit of a mouthful... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Maethorien - ah another pretty name...
Quote:
Greetings, fellow humanoid life forms
A...different, yet strangely apt greeting... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #229
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hey fresh meat! Um I mean we can use a few new people in the RPGs..... Enjoy being here, as dead as we are.... I'll shut up now.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #230
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not new by a long way but I did take quite a while off so I will announce my return again here---> I'M BACK!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #231
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Mattius!!!! Oh, there, you're honoured with all four exclamations! (Yes, I'm talking rubbish, I'm happy and not used to it, what do you expect?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) You have no idea how much I have missed you, but I won't question your absence - welcome back, Mattius.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #232
Helms

Sting

Hi, I'm new and I want to get to know you all. So, Hi!

Old 09-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #233
Gimli7326

Boots

Hello people and creatures of Middle Earth.
I am new to this forum but not to LOTR. I am very interested in getting into some good discussions about LOTR. I know a fair amount about Lord of the Rings for a teenager. I was interested in it before the movie was even thought of. I chose to be Gimli because if i had been put in that book, there would be an exact resemblence to me and Gimli Elf-friend, Son of Gloin. I am interested in learning more about everyone in here so send me an email.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #234
Gimli7326

Sting

"I'll have no pointy-ear outscoring me!"
Gimli, Battle of Helms Deep

Old 09-09-2003, 08:51 PM   #235
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Gimli welcome you arnot alone in your before the movie facination. I can guarantee that there are a few other out there on the Barrowdowns that are fan from way back.

Matt-- arn't you the person who had the dancing chicken?

And to all the rest of the Newly deads out there her is a little something that is a bit of good advice.
Quote:
Have fun beung dead you all.
And yes sometimes we peve each other off, but ,most of us understand that we are not all the same. I have seen a few people chastised for insulting others, (either that or bad spelling);those insults were degrading. One that I saw was saying how stupid a particular thread was, and was not to kind to the poster..... that was not cool.

The best advise I can give is to look at an argument from all sides, and not flame people. And whaterver you do do not change yourself(just because you hate Harry Potter) or you veiws just because you think someone got hurt over it.

Some of the Mods are great, others I don't agree with, but I like to treat them with the same way as my instructors. I give them what they want. So if you stay on topic, don't insult people and say intelagent things you will do fine.

Oh yes and if you can't spell, like me, start to use word, word perfect, or any other program with a spell checker. This works for most of the time , but not always.
Quote:
Welcome all, enjoy being dead( this is getting redundant) Imralris, I swear I won't bite your head off if you skrew up. Heak if you look at some of my old post, you would be in tears just because of the spelling. And when you are new there is more leaway, not to mention the mods are great here. Just the other say Poi had to edit my Post in one of the RPGs I am in because I got stupid and forgot to turn off my sig. Any way I hope you enjoy yourselves all you newly dead people. ( the only reason I am at the wight level and not higher is because I am carefull what I post. It may not appear that way but it is.)
and here is a good place to start this will hepl with some problems that some have.

And if you want to RP go herefirstthen go here.. Alos feel free to loiter, and to email or pm me if you have questions or what have you.

Annalaliath
Old 09-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #236
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah yes my dancing chicken, I see word of me travells far and wide. Right now hes on holiday but hopefully he will reappear soon.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #237
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hail Mattius! Spend less time away and people will recall more than your infamous dancing chicken. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #238
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Wow, there are a lot of you. Welcome all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope you enjoy it here!

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #239
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Right now hes on holiday but hopefully he will reappear soon.
Be afraid. Be very afraid. He's back. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #240
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

screems and runs away.