The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien New Beren and Luthien book

I just saw this review for a new edition of the Beren and Luthien story. I haven't bought it, but I think I might. What do you think about buying a new printing? Christopher Tolkien says this might be the last one he releases.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably wind up getting this.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A nicely rendered review for the ultimate romance in "The Silmarillion". Sad to think this will be the final J.R.R. Tolkien book edited by his son Christopher, who at 93 will no longer mete out Middle-earth material to the masses. An incredible run for Christopher, who began this sojourn with "The Silmarillion" in 1977 and ended 40 years later with where it started for his father nearly a century ago, "Beren and Lúthien". My, how time flies, particularly for immortals.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
A nicely rendered review for the ultimate romance in "The Silmarillion". Sad to think this will be the final J.R.R. Tolkien book edited by his son Christopher, who at 93 will no longer mete out Middle-earth material to the masses. An incredible run for Christopher, who began this sojourn with "The Silmarillion" in 1977 and ended 40 years later with where it started for his father nearly a century ago, "Beren and Lúthien". My, how time flies, particularly for immortals.
I actually don't know what Christopher Tolkien's career was, but he has been an awfully studious editor. I feel like the professor himself must have known that Christopher would be the best guardian of his works. Kudos to Christopher Tolkien for using his time to expand on his father's world.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I actually don't know what Christopher Tolkien's career was, but he has been an awfully studious editor. I feel like the professor himself must have known that Christopher would be the best guardian of his works. Kudos to Christopher Tolkien for using his time to expand on his father's world.
To the best of my knowledge for at least part of his "working life" he was an academic, like his father, teaching English at New College for instance. I daresay others here know better than I do, though.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Christopher Tolkien says this might be the last one he releases.
It is understandable but it is sad news nonetheless.