User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #681
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

'And what is your name, if I may ask?' The voice of the innkeeper awoke Mayla from her thoughts. 'Of course you may, how rude of me not to tell it in the first place! I am Mayla, a healer from Annúminas. If you need my favors here just let me know.'

Soon Mayla received a bowl of steaming meat soup and some freshly baked bread. For a while she focused all her attention on filling up her stomach. Little by little she felt gaining her strenght back; she started to sense the room and people around her, the smells, voices, someone brushing her dark grey cloak while passing by... Mayla could see all the action without turning her eyes from her dish.

Mayla's gift to scent things, feelings, was inherited from her mother. But she wasn't second or even tenth in the time-honoured lineage of healers of the north. Maylen, her mother, had taught her to master her talent for otherwise it would have consumed her.

Mayla finished her meal and started to prepare her potion. She crushed the fragrant herbs and dashed the drink with some honey. While stirring the steaming mixture she tried to winnow all those feelings that crossed the rooms air. So much pain, grief and hatred... , she sighed. But then a scent of joy and hope passed its way to her mind and lift a slight smile on her face. Yes, where there is life there is still hope. And still smiling she glanced at the hobbit woman with her children.

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #682
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nahai's eyes narrowed. Where was this going? Suspicion crossed her mind, but she pushed it back. No need to jump to conclusions, Nahai, she thought to herself.

"Yes," she said slowly, "This is indeed true. But why do you smile at this? I don't find the murder of one's family to be a laughing matter."
Old 02-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #683
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

SAVE for reworked post

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #684
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"You're not well," said Champignonne, setting down her needlework. "Did Drago do something to you? I can get my elf friend to beat him for you if you like." She did not mean this seriously, as she did not want violence and did not know Tiquandel well enough even if she did; she just wanted a laugh.

"You know," said she,"my mum once told me, 'sometimes, the only one you have is you, and before you befriend anyone else you have to befriend yourself.'" She didn't know why, but the quote seemed appropriate. "My mum and I lived alone most of my life, with only my Aunt Lilly as company. I am not as sociable as you, nor half as friendly,"(With this, she smiled.)"but I know that whatever it is that troubles you, you must let it pass in its own time. I'm not saying that it will go away quickly, but you've gotta give it time, and learn from it. From my family's isolation, I learned how to be an independent hobbit. And I also learned how to do this embroidery, and how to have the patience to do this embroidery." Champignonne smiled again and gave Ellie a comforting hug. She placed the bowl before the hobbit, encouraging her to eat, and waited to see what would happen.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:02 PM   #685
nevlhachien
Animated Skeleton

nevlhachien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Ani Dao finished her story, Nevlhachien remembered her only adventure. She thought it seemed just a tiny little adventure compared to Ani Dao's.

Nevlhachien spoke, "My adventure seems so small compared to yours. I am sure you don't want to hear it."

"Of course we want to hear it Nevlhachien," Sofiya said.

"Yes. I would much like to hear it," Ani Dao added.

"Alright. Though it may get a little long. Don't say I didn't warn you," Nevlhachien said and winked. She took a drink of her water and began her story.

"It began the day my brother left me in Rivendell. He was sent on some kind of secret mission and I was devastated to hear that I could not go along. I didn't want to be left behind, so the day after my brother had set out, I decided that I would follow him. After the sun had set, I packed my things and ran to the stables to get my horse. As i was getting my horse ready to leave, a voice behind me spoke, startling me."

"It was the elf that was appointed to watch over me and make sure that I didn't leave. His name was Nensule and he was quite handsome. He told me he could not let me leave to follow my brother, but he would let me leave if I went with him to Mirkwood. I had told him that I had much desired to visit Mirkwood the day before and he promised he would take me there. So that night we set off to the forests of Mirkwood."

"We were about half there when Nensule sensed a small band of orcs ahead. He said that we should turn back to Rivendell but I refused thinking that we could hide and they would pass us by and we could continue on. After much debate, we decided to hide in a small grove of bushes and wait to see what happened."

"As the orcs came into view we could see that there were only ten or so. I began to get nervous for this was my first time I would have to fight with something other than my brother."

"Two of the orcs from the group started to walk toward where we hid. But before they could get close to us, Nensule had shot them with his bow. He grabbed another arrow and killed another orc. I was so amazed by his skill, I forgot that i should be helping. So I grabbed an arrow and shot an orc right between the eyes. But before I could grab another arrow Nensule was on his feet and jumping out of the bushes to fight the rest with his sword. So I did the same."

"I killed two orcs and was fighting with my third. He was stronger than the others and I was having trouble holding my ground. Suddenly I felt an agonizing pain shoot up my left arm. I fell to the ground and the orc hovered above me. I looked at his face and knew that he was going to kill me. But before the orc could, Nensule came to my aid and killed the him."

"After that I remember little. I was in such pain that I could barely keep my eyes open. I do remember Nensule putting me on my horse and I asked him for my sword because I had dropped it when I had fallen. After that I remember waking up in Rivendell with great pain in my left arm."

Nevlhachien pulled up the sleeve on her left arm revealing a long scar that ran from her wrist to her elbow. "I was told that I almost died. I am glad I didn't, but in a way I am sad that I lived. Nevlhachien bowed her head, for tears filled her eyes of the memory she now held.

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: nevlhachien ]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #686
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

" Didn`t meant to offend you or anything " said Enlothien as the waiter pass him his ale.

" It`s quite rare that a lady as beautiful as you seeking revenge...and the reason i am smiling is because i can see it in your eyes " continued Enlothien.

There was silence among them. Neither he nor Nahai dared to speak.

" I know how it felt to lose the people that you know and care... " spoke Enlothien as he broke the silence barrier.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:38 AM   #687
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nahai was slightly taken aback. That was hardly the reply she had expected...but she didn't mind at all. A tint of red showed on the apples of her tanned cheeks.

"You...you did not offend me, sir" she said, "I merely...well.." her voice trailed off.

"It's hard, isn't it?" Enlothien said softly. "Losing them, I mean?"

Nahai nodded slowly.

"Very" she said. She was dying to know this mysterious stranger's story, but wasn't sure how to ask. It was probably a touchy subject, and, living her life alone, wasn't much of a conversation-starter. So she stared into her ale for a moment.

"Do you miss them?" she said suddenly. Enlothien looked up at her.

"Pardon?"

"The people you lost." She pushed a strand of red-gold hair behind her ear, unsure if she was approaching this correctly. It was a very stupid question, she thought to herself, but she couldn't think of a better response at the moment, half of her mind still being on his remark about her eyes. Solemnly, she waited for his reply.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maegaladiel ]

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maegaladiel ]
Old 02-26-2003, 04:49 PM   #688
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

"What do you mean!? Sad that you didn't die?" Ani Dao put a reasurring hand on Nevlhachien's arm. "What terrible thing has befallen you that you wish death to take you away? I've heard Mandos' halls are not as luxurious as those in Rivendell." Ani Dao meant it as a joke, but it was ill-recieved by the lamenting, golden-haired elf. "Please, if there is anything I can do ..." Tears caught in Nevlhachien's throat prevented her from replying.

"Me too, is there anything?" Sofiya put her hand under Nevlhachien's chind and lifted it to dry her tears with a beautifully embroidered handkerchief. "Come, come now. Tell us won't you? We will listen."
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #689
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just then, a young man with peircing blue eyes and a fair, elvish face walked in. He seemed to have been in many battles with orcs and wolves despite his young age. Some of the folk at the inn recognized him. He gave them a peacful nod and headed to the counter.

"Hullo! Good day to you," he said, "I am Aerandir Carnesir. I'll have an ale tonight." Pio could tell that he was a ranger and asked, "What brings you to the Green Dragon?" Aerandir replied," I was just passing through to Bree, and thought I'd rest in your company for a few nights."
He picked up his ale, and sat at one of the tables in the corner of the room nearest the door. He lit his pipe and peacefully watched the room which was in a quiet stir from the young elf's story.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Old 02-26-2003, 07:57 PM   #690
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Enlothien was taken aback by her question. He do misses them. His parents were great elven warriors but was slain in front of his eyes when he was just a kid. A tear rolled down his pale cheek.

" Miss them yes i miss them a lot " replied Enlothien in a frail voice. He called out the waiter and ordered another ale.

" What happen....i am sorry if i offended or cause you any grief " said Nahai.

" Grief...nay it`s just it has been awhile since my story is told.... when i was just a kid my parents great elvish warriors was killed by orcs. They slay my parents in front of my very eyes. " Enlothien pauses and let some tear roll down.

" Since that day i was brought up by many, elves alike and even humans but lastly i found my home in Fangorn live a life of as an assassin " said Enlothien as he sips the newly brought ale.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:06 PM   #691
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Rave sat at the bar quietly. She had finished her meal, and ordered a mug of ale. She turned and saw Huntress as she sat at a table looking around the room. She wanted to join her new friend, but Rave felt a need to be alone for a few minutes. She watched as a young Elf came into the inn. He stopped at the bar and ordered a drink.

"Elves..." Rave thought to herself. Many had come into the inn. Very mysterious they were. The Elves had always fascinated her. This one looked somewhat to be a Ranger, though---looking to have been traveling for a while. This Elf was different than most. He had a story behind the outward appearance.

Rave walked up to him from where she was sitting at the bar.
"Excuse me," she said. "Mae Govannen. I am Rave of Rohan. May I join you?"
Old 02-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #692
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Sting

"Hullo to you, Rave of Rohan. Join me" Aerandir happily replied. He had not had a descent conversation with another person in a long while. "I saw by the way you were looking at me that you want to know more about me." he said, "I've been mistaken for an elf before." He pulled his hood back. Rave saw that he had man's ears and a short hair-cut. "My father was an elf. My mother was from Gondor." Aerandir told her, "My father was a great warrior from Mirkwood. He was called Olwe Carnesir. He had fought in the Battle of the Five Armies." Aerandir took another puff from his pipe. "After the battle, my father went to Lothlorien to get council from Galadriel and Celeborn. He felt that there was a terrible evil there that no army could contain. I later found out that one of those Hobbit folk had found a magic ring from the Third Age, and that was the evil that my father had sensed.

On his way back to Mirkwood, My father came upon an orc camp. He was very proud and curious, and wanted to see what these goblins were up to being out of their caves. He sneaked around to the main tent and found a beautiful young maiden tied and gagged. Because the orcs in the camp were so few, My father quickly killed them and saved the young woman. Her name was Eldalote and she told my father that she was from Gondor. She had been kidnapped by the orcs because her father, Huor, had also fought in the Battle at the Lonely Mountain. He had died just after killing their high captain. Huor was at Lake Town when the dragon Smaug had attacked, and he fought alongside Bard and stayed for the Battle of the Five Armies. My father and mother fell deeply in love and were later married.

When I was about two years old, my father,mother,and I went down the Great River to Gondor where my mother lived. While we had been camping one night, we were ambushed by orcs. My father valliantly fought them all off, but he was mortally wounded in the attack. When we made it to Gondor, we sent my father's spirit to the halls of his fathers,and when I came of age, I started training in the army. I became a master sword and bowman. I have chosen exile to be a ranger and protect myself and my mother...for my father's sake. I have not seen my mother in many years." Aerandir put his hood back on, bowed his head, and a tear rolled down his pipe; sizzling in the glowing ashes.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]

Old 02-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #693
Eruwen

Tolkien

Rave sat still intensely eager at the man's story. So much had happened to him and his family, it was hard for her to take it all in. A few moments passed by of silence before Rave replied.

"You have had a hard life then, havn't you?" she finally said. "I must admit mine own hasn't been near so...full of life, if I may use the term. I have been wandering alone since my childhood. I never even knew my parents. You are fortunate, friend, very fortunate to have lived the life you have."

Rave sat once again not saying a word.

"Oh, I didn't get your name, did I?" she spoke to the man. "Would you mind sharing?"
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM   #694
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nahai felt a pang of sorrow tear at her heart. His story sounded painfully like her own.

"My parents were murdered as well, as I've said," she said softly. "What you don't know is, that they were killed by men because of what they were." Enlothien looked at her, questioningly.

"Pardon?"

"My mother and father were...skin-changers. They had the power to shape-shift. Like me." She rarely told anyone this secret, but she felt as though she could trust this assasin. "They were murdered because people feared what they were. They condemn what they do not understand." She pulled her cloak tighter around her, staring into her ale. "I escaped, although barely. They gave their lives for mine. After that, I went to live with my uncle, Beorn, on the outskirts of Mirkwood, until I was old enough to be on my own. I then moved into the forest for a while, vowing to someday find the men who murdered my family and have my revenge." She gave a sad smile. "And here I am. Still looking."
Old 02-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #695
Enedacilwen

Silmaril

She pushed the door open, her slender pale hand on the wooden frame to steady her first step into the Tavern. Her eyes looked out from underneath her cloak hood, which was pulled down over her face so no one could tell who could be hiding underneath it. She walked over to an empty table in a dark corner and sat down.

As she waited for someone to come and serve her, she thought about her choice, wondered about what she had done was right. A stray piece of her light auburn hair fell across her face, and she lifted a hand to push it back. As she did so, anyone who was looking, got a glimpse of her face. Pale white skin, alert emerald green eyes, high cheekbones, a finely sculpted face, light, silky Auburn hair, and one of the signature charecteristics of the Elven kind was also visible, a pointed ear. She quickly pulled her cloak hood back down over her face and waited for someone to walk by and to stop and talk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: Anyone is welcome to stop by and start a conversation with my Elf!!

Old 02-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #696
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Primrose was just finishing the last of the tankards, wiping the last drop of rinsewater from the side of it. She lined it up with its mates, like a row of little soldiers ready for duty.

Another guest had come in. An Elf, trying to hide herself, she noted. She laughed out loud. This is the Shire - her very height and the boots on her feet marked her as an Elf.

'Let's see now.' she said to herself, sorting through decanters behind the bar counter. 'Mistress Piosenniel keeps something here for those Elves on their way West to the Grey Havens.' She pulled out the silver flask and poured a small dram of silvery, glistening iquid into a tiny crystal glass.

'Primrose, at your service, m'Lady.' she said to the unusually green eyed Elf. 'Something from the Innkeeper, who has retired for the evening, compliments of the House.'

She set the small glass of miruvor in front of the hooded Elf. 'Now is there anything further you require?'

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #697
Enedacilwen

Sting

Enedacilwen took the glass. She placed the small glass to her rosy lips and took it down with one sip.

"Thank you, Miss Primrose. But no, I do not require much, a room to sleep in, that is about it. Oh, and I will need a horse in the morning, do you know where I can find one? Mine is, well, gone."

Enedacilwen wiped a tear from her eyes as she thought of Mialyn. Her horse, Mialyn, was a mre, of a dappled grey color. She had been her faithful mount for, oh, a many odd years, but she had passed during the a cold night, about 3 days previous. Enedacilwe set the glass back down on the table, and pushed it closer to Primrose's hand, signaling for her to take it, that she was done.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #698
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Primrose called for the upstairs maid to get another room ready. Buttercup, groaning, trudged up the stairs to comply. 'Why can't the guests at the Inn be normal folk. And not all these night owls!' The only room left was a small one, in the corner with two tiny windows facing west and south. Buttercup opened them up to air out the room, and fluffed the pillows to make them look more inviting. Though what an Elf needed with a room was beyond her. She had always heard they merely dreamed at times, eyes wide open, and preferably under the stars.

She hollered down the stairs, grinning at Prim, who raised her eyebrows at her and shook her head at the loud voice she had used.

'Your room's ready, Miss, whenever you are. Top of the stairs and in the southwest corner. And as to the need for a horse, I don't think we have any extra. All belong to the guests here, or to Mistress Piosenniel. And I know she will not be parting with hers.'
Old 02-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #699
nevlhachien
Animated Skeleton

nevlhachien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Nevlhachien was able to speak again, she decided she would tell her two companions what had happened that brought sadness upon her. She choked back more tears and spoke.

"Only a day after I had been back in Rivendell, I heard word that my brother was back. I found him in his room, lying upon his bed. He had been injured badly and could not be healed. I was told he didn't have much longer to live. He seemed so calm, like he wasn't going to die anytime soon."

"I kneeled down beside him and took his hand in mine. He spoke to me,'I have failed you sister. I now regret not letting you come. Will you remember me always?' And as he said those words I cried. Nothing could stop the tears. My brother gave me a beautiful necklace, a gold leaf from Lothlorien. He also gave me his sword and his horse. He gave me one last kiss on my cheek and he said,'Live hard my sister. Do everything I said we would do when I returned. And remember me.'"

"Then he died. And I layed there crying for many days. He was the only family I had left. And he died. Leaving me alone. Forever." And with that Nevlhachien began to cry again.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #700
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Sting

Aerandir silently watched the elf and her companions under his hood. Rave tapped him on the shoulder and he woke from his trance; nearly unsheathing his sword. "My Lord, I didn't get your name." Rave repeated. Aerandir, somewhat startled, replied, "Oh! I am terribly sorry. Please forgive me. I am Aerandir Carnesir, son of Olwe Carnesir."

Aerandir was very shy. He kept to himself most of the time. He followed the ideals of the Ents: "Never say anything unless it is worth taking time to say."

Rave looked at him in confusion,"Aerandir. So...what happened after you took exile and became a ranger? Surely you have some tales to tell." Aerandir, finishing the last drop of his ale replied,"I will continue my story." He packed more athelas into his pipe and began. " Soon after becoming a ranger, I took position in patrolling the lands near Bree; That's where I'm headed. I'm going there to meet my good friend, Tathar Seregon. He works at the inn of the Prancing Pony. If you've been there, you have probably seen him. He's one of the bar-tenders. He usually starts a song, or tells amusing tales.

Anyway, he and I met in the fields just outside the town. I found him wandering around searching for mushrooms, and he was sleeping under a tree. He had been under some spell from the mushrooms. I woke him, got him to his feet, and lent him one of my pipes, since his had been broken while he was under the spell. We started back to Bree.

Some of the farmers around the area had seen a pack of wolves coming out of the forest, and most of the folk had taken shelter inside thier homes. So, while we were heading back to Bree, we found ourselves surrounded by a closing circle of those cursed beasts. Back to back, I asked Tathar, 'Can you use a sword? Well, it doesn't matter now, your gonna have to!' I pulled a fighting dagger, hobbit-sized, out of it's sheath and handed it to him. I drew my own sword as the wolves charged.

Twenty or so wolves against a ranger and a barkeep. If you were at a safe distance, you would have probably given a little laugh or two to the odds.

We fought the wolves one by one and soon drove them all yelping back into the forest...If they survived. It turned out that Tathar was very good with small swords. I guess he used them quite often to break up fights at the inn.

We got to know each other quite well. Tathar was born and raised in Bree, despite his elvish name. His father had died and he lived with his grandmother. His mother, on the other hand, kept to herself. She would have done away with Tathar when he was born, but Tathar's grandmother in a way, saved his life.

So, I'm headed to Bree to meet up with my old friend." And with that, Aerandir called for another ale.

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 PM   #701
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Now," said Robin, taking Bandy's hand as the Elf came through the door. "That, Bandy-love, is an Elf."

Her young son stared wide-eyed and the new arrival, and then he looked up at his mother. "Is that the one of the ones you tell me about, Mummy?"

"No, that's not Nicrabanwen or Nurumaiel," said Robin with a laugh. "That's a different one."

"Is it the one you said raised Nurumaiel? The Rinna... Rinna... Rinna-something one?"

Robin wasn't listening. Her keen ears caught the mention of the Elves name, and she thought for a moment to see if it was familiar. It was not.

"No, her name is Enedacilwen," said Robin. She stood up. "Now stay with your father, children," she said, setting her daughter down. "I'm going to find out where our room is. You babies look tired."

"I'm not a baby and I'm not sleepy," said Bandy, trying to hide a yawn. Robin laughed and kissed his check, then approached the innkeeper.

"Excuse me... Miss Primrose was the name I caught. We're wondering where our room is? We signed in as Mr. Dinodas Green. Do you think you could find its whereabouts?"
Old 02-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #702
Elladan Peredhil
Animated Skeleton

Elladan Peredhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rirrym chuckles. "It sounds as if you've had some interesting adventures before even arriving here.. You'll have to tell me that tale sometime, for I've heard of this Mithrandir you speak of, and would be interested in learning more of him. In the meantime, I guess we should be heading back and putting these packages down."

As they reach their room, Rirrym places the packages he was carrying onto the bed and turns to Cromthal. "What books did you get? I guess if you bought them, then your lettering must be similar to that the Hobbit's use." He took a book in his hand and flipped through the pages, wishing that he was literate enough to be able to make out what the squiggles dancing across the page were. He sighed and placed the book back on the bed.

"While you were shopping, I ended up walking around the Shire for a bit. It's got some really pretty landscapes.."
Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 AM   #703
Marigold

Sting

It was lovely outside and a hobbit walked up the path casually. She had been all around the Shire looking for adventure, but of course, The Shire was the silliest place to look for one. The hobbit had left home ages ago, being only just old enough. She looked like a typical hobbit, curly brown hair and brown eyes.

Up ahead there was a building with a sign, The Green Dragon, it said. 'An inn! Just what I need.' She thought to herself and she pushed open the door. The sound of chatter and laughter and the smell of food made her smile. 'I could be happy here' she thought and she plopped herself down on an empty chair at a table.

Old 02-28-2003, 05:48 AM   #704
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria stood up with a crash, her chair hit the ground. "you have wounded me by that jest Alaemas!" Alaemas recoiled in fear. Umbria stormed up to her room, on the way, knocking into Dolenmar who had finally emerged. She shot him a sharp glance, so that he too recoiled and made way for her to pass.

Dolenmar strode to the table where his fellow ranger sat. "What, have you angered Elfsun? A deadly game you play Alaemas, my friend. You told her then, of Aeryn?"

Alaemas' face grew dark. "aye, I did." Dolenmar raised an eyebrow. "did not take it well i see. Has she come?"

Alaemas removed his grubby cloak, "Aeryn? no, she is still on the road."

Unoticed, another figure slid into the inn. Dressed in dark travelling clothes, Long snow hair, pale skin and sharp grey eyes. "the shire; land of the halflings" she said to herself sitting down in another corner, unseen by Alaemas and Dolenmar.

This stranger, bore a striking resembelance to the elf Umbria who now retired to her chamber. It was infact, Aeryn, of whom Alaemas and Dolenmar were waiting for. Several others in the inn sent glances her way, Aeryn smiled, although nervously.

Aeryn knew her mother did not want her, though, Aeryn thought it was partly her own fault. "She has had a hard life, my mother. I dont think she will recognise me, though i do have to speak with her." Aeryn spoke again to herself.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-28-2003, 06:07 AM   #705
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Since the dawn of time, spies and other shady characters had gleaned immense amounts of information by simply sitting in a tavern and keeping their ears open. Barak himself had employed this tactic more times than he could count, and the end result was usually good. However, this particular inn seemed completely devoid of anything remotely resembling useful information. The hobbits seemed to be working themselves into a tizzy over obscure local matters, and the many men and elves seemed to be entertaining each other with tales of past adventures. Some of the local gossip proved fairly interesting, but the only disturbances in the area seemed to be a few scattered bandits. The Order of the Black Rose would be happy to know that all was quite on Gondor’s northwestern front. In truth, this particular excursion had provided the pair a much needed holiday.

To say that Mara did not share Barak’s good feelings would be a severe understatement. Her childhood had not been particularly happy, and the winter months always depressed her. In truth, she was rather envious of the people around her. A minor part of this resentment came from the fact that they had a warm hearth and a loving family to go home too. Most of this envy, however, had much deeper and darker roots. None of the people hear had spent their childhood as a slave in Umbar. Not even the knights she’d spend the better part of a decade living with could understand the depth of her anguish.

She had been a mere girl the first time her master had used her for his own perverted pleasures in an inn not unlike the one she was sitting in right now. In an uncharacteristic show of kindness, Ul, her owner, had given her family a small amount of money to buy gifts for her tenth birthday. That night, Ul had taken her to one of the local inns to help entertain a few of her business associations. Despite the comforting feeling of cloth against her skin, she could almost feel the painful welts that the belt had left on her back that night. She had been powerless to resist then, and the feeling of weakness and horror still permeated her spirit.

Mainly because of her inability to speak, Mara suffered alone. Her suffering had been two edged, cursing her to forever relive her past while gifting her with an iron will to keep her emotions in line. Unknown to the knights she regularly dealt with, she sought their love as a way to assure herself that some valued her. Barak, normally companionate, had forgotten the strain that the season placed upon his friend. Mara blinked back a tear before abruptly rising. She needed to be alone to deal with her past. Indicating with her hands to Barak that she wished to be alone, the thin girl quickly fled the tavern.

Barak’s eyes followed his redheaded companion with a look of no small confusion. Mara was a temperamental girl, and it was a particularly chilling experience to watch her temper tantrums. Unable to scream and shout, her anger was usually channeled into physical activities. The knight had long ago learned to honor his high-strung friend’s wishes. Slumping into the chair with a sight, Barak began to pray to Nienna. It would be a very long night.

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 02-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #706
Enedacilwen

Sting

Enedacilwen nodded, and walked upstairs to her room. She found the room suitable and she walked over to the window. She looked outside, and seeing nothing interesting, she lay down on the bed and fell asleep.

~~~In the Morning~~~

Enedacilwen awoke to the sunlight streaming in from her windows. She rose, and stretched, yawning loudly. She rubbed her eyes, and stood. She made her bed, and then opened her door. She walked down the hallway, and down the stairs. She went over to the counter, and she waited for someone to come so she could pay for her room.
"How much will my room be?"

Old 02-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #707
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ellie sighed. "Thank you Champignonne. It's very wise, but it's hard, I'm not as much fun to talk to as you and Drago!"

She sighed again, and wiped her eyes with her flowery handkerchief.
"I know you wouldn't get your friend to beat up Drago. YOU are a really nice Hobbit. It's a pity some others aren't." She heaved a final sigh, but smiled shakily at her friend.

"But I'm really not hungry. Why don't you tell me about your Mother, she sounds nice"
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 02-28-2003, 01:31 PM   #708
Eruwen

Tolkien

Rave suddenly felt a need to be alone again...or that Aerandir wanted to be alone. Either way, she remembered her room upstairs.

"Excuse me," she said quickly to her guest. Rave stood up and quite quickly returned to her room. She sat on the edge of her bed staring into a bright, red fire. She missed travelling. She missed wandering the beautiful countrysides of Middle Earth. The Shire was lovely, yes, she just felt a need to get away from people for the moment---away from civilization.

Rave wasted no time in leaving. She gathered what few belongings she had, and wandered out towards the stables for the last time. As she approached Melimo, she smiled and mounted the grey steed. She rode away as fast as Melimo could carry her leaving Hobbiton behind---the great world of Middle Earth ahead.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:22 PM   #709
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Commencing her embroidery, Champignonne sighed. "Yes, she is very nice, but my family didn't think so. You see, Ellie, my mother was one of those few hobbits who do what we fear, what we hate: she went on adventures. Of course, you know Mr. Bilbo Baggins. Well, she was kinda like that. In fact," she stated rather proudly, "my mum even went with Mr. Bilbo on one of his adventures! Of course, by that time, most of my family didn't even speak of her, and me? Well I was out of the question. You see, I don't know who my father is, and my mum would never tell me, so I asked Aunt Lilly. She told me that we don't talk about that. I kinda got the impression that it had something to do with one of Mum's adventures. What about your mum, Ellie?" Intent on her needlework, Champignonne did not see the expression on her friend's face.

---------------------------------------------
Hmm, the elf thought to himself, I must not have my elven charm.Both an elven maiden and a ranger had refused to speak to him. Indeed he was an outcast in his own homeland, for he was too spritely and witty for the taste of his kins, but this was ridiculous. He frowned. Then he saw a hobbit lass come through the door and plop herself down. Well,thought he,My dear friend Champignonne has been kind so far, so I imagine it will be so with this lady. She seems as though she needs company.With this, Tiquandel strode quietly up to the hobbit.

"Hello, my lady," said he, very charmingly. "May I join you?"
Old 03-01-2003, 04:41 AM   #710
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Ellie listened to Champignonne's description of her mother in wonder.I wonder what it would be like to go on adventures? she thought wistfully.

Finally Champignonne asked "What about your mum, Ellie?"

"I never knew my parents" replied Ellie.
Champignonne looked up. "Oh. I'm-"
"Sorry?" interrupted Ellie with a smile. "Most people are. It would have been nice, but I had lots of lovely relatives. The opposite of you I suppose."

Ellie sighed again.
"I didn't know there were so many horrible people in the world. With what happened to you, and me, and- and Drago" she swallowed "I suppose we were just unlucky."

"Champignonne I'm surprised that your relatives were so nasty considering you're a Took. Most of us are accepting of adventurers. Why was that? And, where's your mother now?" asked Ellie with interest, almost forgetting her troubles.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-01-2003, 05:20 AM   #711
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aeryn was watching the hobbit Champignonne and another man who had strode over to her, or was it? She looked more closely.. It was an Elf!. Quickly she got up and walked over to their table.

"im sorry to interrupt, but ive never met a hobbit before, and well, an elf.. i havnt met any. save for my mother." A sad look appeared across Aeryn's face, but only for a second.

"do you mind if I join you both? I have travelled so far, and i am in need of some company, as i cannot see the people who i am meant to meet. And well, my mother, they said she was here. But that is a different story."

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 03-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #712
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Sting

The young hobbit entered the Green Dragon quitely. She did not wish to draw very much attention to herself yet. She was small and slightly built. She was also very young. She was not of age yet, and wouldn't be for five or so more years. Even though she was getting closer to adulthood, she kept a childlike innocence about her. Her green eyes had the sparkle of one who has not seen the horrors of the world (how could she, living in the Shire all her life?) Her curly cinnamon hair was pulled back from her face and held at the back of her head with a metal clip that was at once simple and intricate.

She looked around. Everywhere, people were engaged in conversation. Suddenly, she was very uncomfortable being the only one standing alone in the middle of the room.
She looked to a nearby table. Someone who looked to be an elf, and a hobbit, and one other (Aeryn, though the girl didn't know her yet) were talking there. Should I or shouldn't I? she asked herself. I think I will.
She hesitantly walked over to the table.
"Hullo. I am Azaelia. I was wondering, if you would not mind, if I might join you. May I?" She asked nervously. "I did not like being alone, and you looked friendly enough." Her brow furrowed nervously. "Please?"
Old 03-01-2003, 10:14 AM   #713
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

"Well, I don't know if you know how big our family is, but, my part had married in to the Hairytoes, and so they took up most of the controling. My mum's father, my grandfather, was a Took, but the rest of my family on my mum's mum's side were Hairytoes. They were not happy with the marriage of a Took, but he turned out 'a nice boy', and his children were adorable, so they gave in. But I think they swore that if one more thing happened, they would not know my mum and granparents. So, that's how it is.

"My mum? Well, she's still in our little hole in rural Hobbiton. No one sees her. I don't even think Mr. Bilbo knows where she lives, for I had never seen him. But Mum reads and plants flowers and vegetables and talks to ma aunt Lilly, her sister. Look at this vine! I'm rather proud of it." She pushed the needlework across the table, showing Ellie her accomplishment. Perhaps I'm not so boring after all,, she thought.

After asking for the other hobbit's leave, Tiquandel joined them. "How goes it, Champignonne?" he asked.

"Very well, I thank you. Allow me to introduce you to my new friend Ellie. Ellie, this is Tiquandel, from Rivendel." Just then, two people came over.

Quote:
"I'm sorry to interrupt," said the one.. . . "Do you mind if I join you?"
Never met a hobbit before? thought Champignonne.Oh, my goodness!

Very soon another hobbit appeared.
Quote:
"Hullo. I am Azaelia. I was wondering, if you would not mind, if I might join you. May I?"
"What say you, Ellie?" asked Champignonne. She was a bit confused, but could not tell if Ellie felt the same.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Frodess ]
Old 03-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #714
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

The moon had already risen high when the ranger arrived. He came on foot, having left his jet-black mare tied in the wood outside the village. He paused before he entered and adjusted his grey traveling cloak. It was torn and mud-stained--the ranger had been in the wild for more than a fortnight. Then, he entered the inn.

Tarendur son of Berenor again hesistated in the doorway as he quickly looked around. He soaked up his surroundings in an instant, seeing that the inn was quite busy that night. Hobbits chatted amiambly in one corner, and he recognized elves and men solemly telling stories in another. It had been 3 years since he--a Dunadan of the North--had set foot in the Green Dragon, and 2 years since he had been in the Shire. Though he was young, he had done plenty of traveling.

Talendur remembered the Shire as a quaint place where someone living constantly on the edge could relax, and so after his sojourn in the forests of Eriador, he had decided to venture south to the Shire for some much needed respite.

As he thought of his plans, Talendur noticed that a seat had opened up near the elves and rangers. He briskly navigated around the tables and sat in an empty chair near a face that seemed familiar. He removed his hood, revealing a handsome face with sharp, hawklike features, dark eyes, and a trim, black beard. He brush a lock of his midnight-black hair from his face and stared intensely at the figure beside him. The person beside him had not yet noticed him, being drawn to the stories of another elf.

At last Talendur's quick memory recalled the right name.

"Greetings Aerandir, do you remember a fellow ranger?"

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #715
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Duriel had ordered a room. It was comfortable but luckily not too expensive. She took of her cloack and put her bag on the edge of the bed.

Just as she had opened the door and was about to go downstairs the bag fell on the floor and its contents were scattered across the room. Duriel groaned, this wasn't fair. She closed the door and walked towards her bag.

Angrily she started picking up her belongings and stuffing them in the bag. She stoped however when she picked up a leaf, from far away it looked like a normal leaf but from close-up you could see that the edges had been dipped in silver. Duriel had had it ever since she left home and the leaf never wilted.

Duriel had grown up among the elves which as highly unusual. Before that she had lived in a small village in the mountains but it had been raided by orcs. She was only a toddler then and had been with her mother in a mountain meadow which had saved her life. When her mother discovered what had happened to the village she had taken young Duriel and fled out of the mountains where elves found them and out of pity took them live in Mirkwood.

The elves had given the leaf as a parting gift, and now after many adventures she found herself far away from Mirkwood. Maybe she should visit Mirkwood again. With that thought she put the leaf back in the bag and went downstairs where dinner was just ready.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lathriel ]
Old 03-01-2003, 03:04 PM   #716
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nostawen had been sitting at the table with Lanith, Elwen and the others for some time now. She had said very little and was feeling uncomfortable, something that Elwen had picked up on.

"What ever is wrong?" she questionned, "you have not seemed the same since you reached here, are you sure you arrived safely?" Nostawen smiled back to her friend to reasure her.

Taking a sip of her water she turned to Lanith, "Why don't you tell us a tale? You must have travelled far to reach the Shire,as have we all" The others at the tabled nodded in agreement with her. "How is it that you end up in the Green Dragon then, did you travel with purpose to this land?"

Lanith smiled back at the maiden and taking a sip of his own drink, began to tell a tale...

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-01-2003, 03:15 PM   #717
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Paragraphs Please!

Every one remember to break your posts into paragraphs. They are easier to read than a long block of text, and will keep the reader's attention.

Paragraphs on the Barrow Downs need to be done by double spacing between blocks of text. Indentation will not show up as paragraphs, and makes the post run all together as one long one.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:32 PM   #718
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Sting

"Talendur! Nae saian luume'!" welcomed Aerandir,"How have you been? What news do you have?"

Aerandir didn't show it, but he was overwhelmed with joy. He had been patrolling on his own so long that he had begun to wonder if the other rangers had been killed off. It was not a serious thought, but it was in the back of his mind.

Aerandir, hardly able to keep his ale steady, asked Talendur,"What news from you and the other rangers?"
Old 03-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #719
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Ellie nodded as Champignonne told her about her relatives. It made sense to her- she knew how narrow minded some Hobbits could be.

Champignonne's elf friend joined the two of them at the table, and Ellie looked shyly at him. Although she'd been brought up on stories of the Bullroarer, Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and of course her second cousin Peregrin and all the Elves they had known, seeing one in the flesh was completely different. He seemed to be there, yet not there. It was an eerie feeling knowing that he had been alive probably for hundreds of years. Hundreds and hundreds! She shivered excitedly. Who knows what he had done?

They were quickly joined by two more people: an Elf and a Hobbit. Both addressed themselves to Champignonne and Tiquandal, ignoring Ellie completely. She glared at their backs. Well, the back of the new Elf anyway. The Hobbit looked like a glare at her would break her in half. Shyer than Drago! thought Ellie with a pang.

"What say you, Ellie?" asked Champignonne.
"Oh, I'm glad at least one person remembers I am here" she replied sarcastically. "As far as I'm concerned they can all sit here. They can do what they like. Maybe eat all the mushroom soup that none of us seem to want!"

Silently Ellie marvelled. Who would have thought that I would end up sitting here with two Elves? she asked herself. However she felt a little intimadated. I wish Drago was here she thought suddenly. Where is he?

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-01-2003, 07:16 PM   #720
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

"Aerandir, it is good to see you again," replied Talendur. "Much has happened since I last saw you. It has been over a year since our paths have crossed, has it not?"

Talendur was also glad to see a familiar face. The stress of living for weeks in the woods began to lift, and he finally began to relax. He was in a safe, peaceful country in a cozy inn and speaking with someone he knew well. Talendur at once began to relate important happenings in the lives of the Dunedain.

"Most of the rangers are very well," began Talendur. "We have mostly been concentrating our efforts near the Ettenmoors and Dunland because for some reason or another, the goblins are starting to make raids on villages of Dunlendings and settlements outside of Rivendell. What makes these orcs so bold I do not know, but we have had some trouble with them. That is probably why you have not seen our numbers around this area, for the Rangers of the North have been elsewhere.

"While fighting these goblin raiders, we have lost five valiant Dunedain, including my kinsman Cerin son of Berenast. It is a pity, for he left this world while having only 16 years."

Talendur paused in his account as he remember Cerin's youthful face and joyful demeanor. Aerandir did not press him, and after a while Talendur continued.

"For the last two weeks, I have been following a goblin raiding party. Somehow they escaped detection until I found them in the forests three leagues north of Fornost. They are thirty strong, with thirty wargs as their steeds, and I fear that they have evil intent. They might wish to raid and plunder parts of Bree, or even the Shire!

"I am expected to rendezvous with three more rangers at the Prancing Pony in two days. Then I will tell them about this raiding party and we will debate what to do about it. I am here to spend the night in safety. I was always on the alert out in the wild since I was sleeping near the orc encampment. Tonight I will not have to worry about waking and finding a dagger at my throat!"

Talendur eased back in his chair after telling Aerandir what he knew. As a waitress passed by he too called for an ale.

"Now that you know my plans for the future, how about yours? Where will you be in two days, perhaps you could accompany me?"

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Elfhelm ]

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]