The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting Boromir....% Co!!!

In the book, Boromir arrives at Rivendell alone. And he seems to in the movie as well, but then why are there several men sat with him in the council? It makes no sense. Why have the obviously single shot of Boromir geting off his horse?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:42 AM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps they are men from different places? I dont know, though, just guessing.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Nice suggestion, but where from? There is only Arnor/North (Aragorn), Gondor (Boromir). Rohan isnt represented and neither is Dale/Esgaroth. People from Dunland wouldnt be there.<P>Also, the clothing is similiar to Gondorian costume shown in the film.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:51 AM   #4
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I've heard it suggested that several men from Dale came, perhaps accompanying the Erebor contingent. I don't have anything to back this up, though.<p>[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Phrim ]
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

You expect LOGIC in this movie?!!!!!!!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #6
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

It was actually Éomer.<P>No, seriously, you just couldn't see their obscenely big ears under their hair.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People have to sit somewhere! Why would Boromir be isolated from other council attendees? Body odor?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:44 AM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Being a arrogant prat is one of them.....<P>And wouldn't you stink after months in the wild?

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*thwaps the nasty persons and hugs poor Boromir*<P>he doesnt smell... <P>i assumed they were just focusing on him cos he was an important character. either that or he was the only one on a horse and the other men were jogging slowly along the path behind him trying to catch their breath and they actually arrive about 2 hours later
Old 02-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've wondered about this myself. Maybe they just added the extras for the sake of the argument scene.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've noticed that myself and I can't see any way to really have it make sense.<P>My guess is that this is here for the non-book readers. In the film, the only reason any of them are there is given by Elrond's voice over, "this curse[not sure if that's the word] concerns all Middle Earth." and later, "you've all been summoned here ..." which we all no is not true. They're there for a variety of different reasons that are not practical to go into in the film.<P>So what is PJ to do? Having Boromir as the only human (save Aragorn) would raise the question in the non-book reader's mind, why is Boromir alone when there are whole contingents of elves and dwarves? Do men not care about this? All this distracts as to what the scene is about, so you flush out the scene with some token men.<P>Within the context of the book it doesn't work, but within the context of the film it does, and we need to remember that ultimately the films are made for people that have not read the book.<P>H.C.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

You`re right about Boromir thou he came alone in the movie...well maybe the men accompany him there but PJ decided to focus more on the arrival of Boromir and not the rest...you guys get me don`t you?
Old 02-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oh, great. Thanks, findorfin, thanks a lot. I hadn't thought about that before.<P>How am I supposed to enjoy this movie when it makes no sense?! You guys suck, I wish I'd never found out. Well, at least it's still better than TTT.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:59 AM   #14
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always assumed they were just other men from here and there, like Dale/Esgaroth as someone pointed out. The one thing I didn't like was the fact that everybody but the main characters stares blankly off into the distance as if scenic Rivendel could distract them from the horrors of the ring. Actually, one of the men shifts his gaze once, I think, but other than that, blank stares... Did anyone else find the facial expressions of the extras in this film (esp elves) a bit vacant? Anyway, I don't think the men came with Boromir, which is why we see him arrive alone, which is right. Maybe by "summoned" Elrond means he had summoned them to the meeting and that they were already there at Rivendel, rather than that he had summoned them from around middle earth?...
Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #15
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you Dain! The vacant stares on all the council members except the "soon to be" fellowship members was over the top! "Must not think!"
Old 02-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #16
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oh dear, i seem to have made an enemy in a certain platypus.<P>I suppose it does make sense for the films sake but I wish they could have done more.<P>In the arrival scenes Legolas cam ewith a group and he was focused in on perfectly, I think it should have happened with Boromir.<P>But I suppose this is just one of those things that only the book-lovers notice.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But then wouldn't people be complaining about the people that arrived with Boromir? Afterall, in the book he comes alone. The other men are only necessary in the council scene, so maybe it's best to only have them there. Give everyone only one scene to complain about.<P>H.C.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #18
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always assumed they were just other men from here and there, like Dale/Esgaroth as someone pointed out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well guess you`re right Dain...just maybe they could be tribefolks or rangers alike .<p>[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: avarrogion ]
Old 02-22-2003, 09:50 PM   #19
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Umm..that shot is only a few seconds long, and he's just coming through the gate (which is obstructing our vision of most of what's outside of it, obviously) and getting off his horse. Who's to say that he didn't have a whole squadron of men a couple of yards behind him, and his horse was just a bit faster? Boromir would be the leader of course, no need for him to stay in formation. Maybe he wanted to arrive half an hour sooner both to let Elrond and Co. know that "we're here!" and also, frankly, to get a bit of extra attention. One thing Boromir is not shy of is the limelight.<P>And for that matter, who's to say the men didn't all enter BEFORE him? Obviously we're only going to get a shot of Boromir since there's not much sense in spending five minutes watching random extras ride on until we get to him. <P>It doesn't bother me. Call me careless. But it's not that unbelievable.