The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Éomer (Karl Urban)*

Tell us what you think of Éomer and the actor who plays him.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:46 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

I thought the actor and the portrayal of the character of Éomer was good, but he was left out of a lot of the movie, which was somewhat dissapointing.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:55 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Not enough screen-time for the saucy Karl Urban, I fear. I did, however, feel that he made the most out of his character "slot." Can't wait for the extended version.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, they did leave him out way too much.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:06 AM   #5
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He has the right look of Eomer. He works well, I don't know why he works, he just does. <BR>I agree, he did not have enough time on the screen, but maybe in RotK!<BR>I think he over all works great! And I can't think of a single fault in his performance, or in Eomer himself! <BR>See ya!<BR>~M<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 12-19-2002, 05:29 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Fantastic vision of Eomer. But his amount of screentime was necessary for the adaptation of Helm's Deep. And come on, they sure made him a hero in the film.<P>Alas for Erkenbrand! I really liked that guy.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I loved him. I wish there had been more. Such a perfect fit... Hopefully we'll see him slay some orc on Pellenor Fields next year.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:11 PM   #8
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

If only his character had been given his rightfull role. Eomer's character and role would have been developed so much better if they had left him in Helms Deep where he belonged. Don't get me started about what they did to the Rohirrim in general, however they portrayed Eomer very well. He just needed WAY more scenes. Well not too many but at least more then Arwen had. I wish I had got to see him fight too. Grrrr.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 PM   #9
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

They had BETTER include him in the battle of Pelennor fields. If they don't... I will throttle PJ just like Gollum does.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

I thought his was good but I have a question. Earlier in the film, Eomer was imprisoned by Wormtongue was he not? If so then how did he and the entire army of the Rohirrim escape?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:52 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

He wasn't imprisoned, he was banished, along with the Riders of Rohan loyal to him. I guess that means all the Riders, then, because none of them were at Helm's Deep.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:31 PM   #12
ReededGoat
Animated Skeleton

ReededGoat has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Karl Urban rocks...his Eomer rocks...they didn't have to cut him out of Helm's Deep...if they wanted some exposition of the Theoden storyline, they could have had the riders come upon Aragorn and Co., then to Edoras and all that's happening there, then Eomer shows up, then he's imprisoned, then Aragorn and Co. show up, then Theoden comes to his senses, then Eomer is released, then he's at Helm's Deep. This banishment stuff is for the birds...I wanted to see the relationship between Eomer and Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas in the film. I wanted to see Aragorn and Eomer charging into the throng of orcs side by side. Oh well. I hope they let Karl have some screen time in ROTK...maybe he'll get to actually fight a little in the Pelennor.
ReededGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 05:19 PM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Are people having a hard time realising that Eomer saved the day?
Old 12-21-2002, 07:20 PM   #14
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In this new TTT it's was more like Gandalf sving the day while Eomer, peeps out around Gandalf's brilliant radiance. Besides becuase of his amazingly little screen time, most people hardly knew who he was.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:04 PM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Éomer did save the day. Gandalf had to run off and fetch him, because Gandalf needed him and his Riders. I didn't look at it as him peeking around Gandalf's robes. There's a lot to pick on in this movie, but that moment was very good. It didn't quite make up for his lack of screen-time, but it was good in and of itself.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:58 PM   #16
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

He was wonderful and I wish I'd seen more of him. Try as I might I can't understand the logic behind some of the changes from the book.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:35 AM   #17
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I loved Eomer. Great job by the actor.<P>PJ probably changed the movie to keep the story simpler, non Tolkienites might get confused between the Ents and the Huorns so PJ was thinking I'll send Eomer off and then he'll save the day with Gandalf.<P>I think it worked quite well.<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-22-2002, 11:56 AM   #18
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I love the real Eomer and his wonderful portrayal by the actor. I agree that he should have had more scenes, but I'm not complaining. Did anyone notice that Theoden half-stole his line? "Let this be the hour when we draw our swords together" *grumble grumble* I still liked the character they gave him though, like when he was threatening Wormtongue...hehehe...
Old 12-22-2002, 01:46 PM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Theoden also stole his "Now for wrath, now for ruin" line. I don't care that no-one else in the world cares about it except me, this will detract from the Pellenor!<P>I just want to reiterate my feelings that Eomer was the natural replacement for Erkenbrand in the movie.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #20
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

he had blond hair, I am happy.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:57 AM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Movieomer was THE MAN!!! Go, Karl Urban! Such a shame that he was pushed into a more minor role, though. Surely after taking so much trouble to introduce him, it would have made more sense movie-wise to give him the place at Helm's Deep he so richly deserved? I'd love to hear PJ's thoughts on the topic, maybe something like:<P>"We thought it was more important to bring a familiar character back from FOTR, so we made the Elves march hundreds of miles south from Lorien, at the same time as the men who actually lived in Rohan are riding hundreds of miles north. We actually have a cut scene where they wave as they go past each other, which will be in the Extended DVD."<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I just want to reiterate my feelings that Eomer was the natural replacement for Erkenbrand in the movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe Eomer could have replaced movieGamling, and movieGamling could have replaced Erkenbrand. If the original story had been kept then at least Theodred's death would not have seemed so random.<P>Nitpick: I thought Eomer's hair looked fake when it was draped across his face in one shot while he was talking to Aragorn.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #22
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, June 7th is Karl Urban's (Eomer) Birthday! Karl was born on June 7th, 1972 in Wellington, New Zealand. That makes him 31 today! Happy Birthday Karl!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #23
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My friend and I both agree that he looks VERY cool. I thought they should've just left him in at Helm's Deep, but oh well. To bad for us...again.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:34 PM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

He looked ruggedly handsome, he's a fantastically wild soldier, and he delivered his lines with conviction and with the heart and courage of a valiant man. I don't think there was a lot at fault with his performance. His appearance at Helm's Deep, although not a correct one from what I hear, definitely had me cheering for him.

Last edited by Meela; 11-26-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #25
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought they should've just left him in at Helm's Deep, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>But then who would Gandalf have gone out to find? Erkenbrand? Then they would have had to take the time to set up this character, the scattering of the forces of Rohan after the lose at the Battle of Fords of Isen. They couldn't have gone straight from Edoras to Helm's Deep but instead would have had to ride to war at the fords or else how would the characters learn what happened to Erkenbrand and his forces? This would have taken a lot of screen time for no reason.<P>Even the Baski film, which tended to stay very true to the book for the scenes that they showed, recognized how messy this would be and replaced Erkenbrand with Eomer.<P>H.C.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:25 AM   #26
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
I reckon Karl Urban plays a really really really good Eomer!!! He is such a great actor!!!