The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Gimli (John Rhys-Davies)*

Did you enjoy Gimli's role in TTT and the actor who played him?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I love his comic relief. It was put in very cleverly. I really liked him a lot more in this film.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:15 AM   #3
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I understand the need for comic relief, although I could well do without any. Gimli, however, was solely defined by it in this movie. His character did not expand beyond a single line or scene which was not ridiculous or even pathetic. Most of it was below the level of standard slapstick, and therefore not at all suited for the story and world described. But that is old news, Tolkien knew that over 50 years ago.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:58 AM   #4
Adam Sernheim

Sting

I thougth Gimlis part as a comic relife didn't fit in. I mean evry thing that the great dwarf warrior did was supose to be funny.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

"You'll have to toss me. Don't tell the Elf."<BR>Hee hee!<P>Yes he was silly in the movie, but I think people needed that comic relief. From a non-Tolkienite's view (not me!) the movie was quite depressing and dark. Gimli was there to lighten the situation. Maybe he tried too hard, but it was funny. At least I thought so.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 10:53 AM   #6
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Gimli was pretty funny, even though I think he should have had something more to do in the movie than just be the comic relief. <P>It was also funny when Gimli was complaining he couldn't see and Legolas asked if he should describe what was happening or get Gimli a box.
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
Adam Sernheim

Sting

yes he were funny but he didn't fit in
Old 12-18-2002, 05:27 PM   #8
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did enjoy Gimli (loved the box scene) but I thought it was way too much "comic releif". I realize Pippin is gone, but did the dwarf have to take over? About halfway through the movie, I started feeling sick at all of Gimli's clowning around. I was looking for the dwarf warrior! All I got was Abbot and Costello!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:49 PM   #9
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli sounds great. I just couldn't help reading the joke spoiler earlier this month!
Old 12-18-2002, 06:08 PM   #10
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't think Gimli was reduced to <I>mere</I> comic relief. They did overdo it though. I have to admit I laughed hard when he couldn't see over the wall. Gimli was a fierce warrior and fearless and cleaved orc heads as he should. I think he displayed some touching emotion at times and I love his tendency to say whatever he thinks even in the most sensitive situations. I was happy to see Legolas and Gimli competing for orc-kills. And despite the stupid tossing part, it was awesome when he and Aragorn fought in front of the gate.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 PM   #11
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I LOVED Gimli in this film! <P>I appreciated the comic relief - it shed some light during the really dark, sad parts of the film. I know there were parts that I needed it.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:57 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was funny, but it kinda got out of hand and didn't fit in.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:25 PM   #13
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

He was hilarious! He was funnier than Merry and Pippin! Go Gimli! Go Gimli!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:49 AM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Eh, I just wanna say thanks Gimli for relieving my beloved Pippin of the clown status. I laughed, yeah. Whether it was wrong or not, I laughed. And every time I laughed I thought, "Thank God this isn't Pippin anymore."<P>I genuinely liked the talk about Dwarf women, though. It was a cute conversation. Gimli was more charming than slapstick, except that it ended with him falling off the horse or something. My memory is fading at the moment.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:05 AM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hold on. Didn't you see Gimli hewing down countless Orcs?<P>And he had 1 or 2 touching scenes as well as the humour. Excellent stuff.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:52 AM   #16
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Gimli was a great comic relief, but I think they over did it. He is a warrior and I think that was portryed pretty well, however I find it hard to take him as seriously as Legolas or Aragorn and I'd say this is because they made him into a clown. They could have spread it out a bit more like having Legolas or Aragorn do something that you could make fun of, and not give Gimli all those ridiculous lines. I'm not saying that Aragorn should have tossed Legolas instead (God no!) what I'm trying to say is that they shouldn't make fun of poor Gimli just because......I don't know, because they can....<BR>I really liked the scene where he tells Eowyn about the dwarfwomen. That was funny they should've had more jokes like that.
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #17
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm not saying that Aragorn should have tossed Legolas instead (God no!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Legolas: Toss me! But don't tell the dwarf!<P>LOL!<P>You guys are taking this too seriously. Gimli's jokes were needed in my opinion to keep the audience from loseing all hope. He had his good moments in battle and some sensitive ones. <BR>The dwarf woman conversation was very well done and I thought it was very Tolkien-ish. The only thing I think they should have done differently is in the begaining when Gimli is having trouble keeping up. He should be able to because dwarves have great endurance. But that doesn't hinder his performance at all for me. I think he great!
Old 12-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

True. There should have been less comic lines for Gimli because it made him into a clown I agree.<P>Overall I loved him though, Davies was great and its definately not his fault.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:16 AM   #19
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I simply adored the conversation about the the fairer (umm...or maybe not ) sex of the dwarfs.<P>Gimli as a comic relief: Not a bad idea. Say what you will, but the audience absolutely needs someone they can laugh at sometimes. But yes, it should've have been done a bit more tactfully. Now it was a little too much "hey, here comes the funny dwarf-guy again!"<BR>But I'll forgive that bit of lazyness, because on the whole Gimli is a well formed character. And - of course- John Rhyes-Davies rocks!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:30 AM   #20
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I sort of agree with Rose Cotton on this one . A source of comic relief was needed for movie goers who had not read TTT or indeed any of the books before . As with most book adaptations things need to be added in to make it more filmworthy if you like. Of course if you've read the books your going to prefer the book but speaking in film terms Gimli's humour was needed! (and him taking the more "comical" role left what time was available in the film , for you to see merry and greatly pippin's characters to evolve on screen)

"Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:38 AM   #21
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Pipe

I think John Rhys-Davies did an *awesome* job as Gimli, the funny stuff was needed. After he said something humorous, he went right in and started kickin orc butt! The only part I had issues with was the random burping in Theoden's Hall. What is it with PJ and need for random burpage? Did anybody else notice that one guy in Bree in FoTR that had one second on camera and all he did was burp?<BR>I'm sorry, I stray from the topic. Again, John Rhys-Davies did great as Gimli providing comic relief AND he had a completely serious role as the voice of Treebeard. Did anybody else get shivers when Treebeard summoned the other Ents and marched on to war? I sure did. That was great. <BR>Oh, and don't forget that Legolas and Aragorn had a humorous scene when Aragorn is approaching the throne room of Theoden in Helm's Deep and Legolas stops him and stares at him with those lovely elven eyes *purrrr* and says he's late and looks terrible. So the comedy was somewaht balanced and placed in needed spots I think.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, we laught. Therefore, it's good. Gimli's houmor was needed for a movie. I liked the scene when the Eomer make fun of Gimli's hight.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"I would slice your head off, if only your shoulders stood a little higher of the ground."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought his role increased more in TTT than FOTR. John Rhys-Davis ruled as Gimli.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:46 AM   #23
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

<B>Fingo</B>: I know which guy you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure that was PJ himself!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #24
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was awesome in this movie, even in the books his character should some comic relief: patting his axe in Helm's Deep, describing the caves in Helm's Deep like he did. I thought it fit in very well. I mean think about it, they are in a middle of a war, both the armies of Mordor and Isengard (thanks to Ents, Isengard is pretty much no more) are coming to destroy them, and they are forced to save the lands of Middle-Earth from all chaos. I would freak out and go crazy. And some character(s) need another character(s) to lift them up when they are down. That is exactly what Gimli did. You have to give the actor some credit,l I think he played off Gimli fantastically. The only thing I would change about TTT is that they should have of gone more into the way of the Ents, they pretty much left out two chapters of talking. BUt, the movie was 3hrs. anyways, so, they couldn't of done that. My favorite chracter was either Gollum or Aragorn. Although they did leave off the last four chapters, they ended it well.
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:20 PM   #25
Sithren
Pile O'Bones

Sithren has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sithren
Sting

*qoutes John Rhys-Davies* "If you want real war-like material, you've got to have a Gimli!" *shakes fist as she does so*
Old 12-21-2002, 12:44 PM   #26
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*thinks of PJ having a fixation about burping* <p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:55 PM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Gimli was a funny guy in the books. Don't forget that.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:06 PM   #28
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Silmaril

The comic relief was a good thing. I've read the books but I was so nervus I almost ripped my friend's shirt. Gimli (and treebeard's un-hastyness)kept that from happening
Old 12-21-2002, 09:08 PM   #29
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I thought Gimli was hilarious. I recall the pan-shot of Helm's Deep and the little gap in the ranks....
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:09 PM   #30
insanelf

Tolkien

Gimli is the greatest! TTT should have had more of him. He is my favorite
Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 PM   #31
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I enjoyed Gimli throughout the entire movie. I thought he was well played by John Rhys-Davies.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:06 PM   #32
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Don't you think that they make quite an Idiot out of Gimli in the moive? When I read the books, I thought that Gimli was a really sturdy person and someone who could endure very much. <BR>But in the movie you see him running after Legolas and Aragorn, you see him falling down from a horse, see him being too short to look over the wall of Helm's Deep (of course, this was VERY VERY funny ) and more stuff like that.<BR>Ok, the movie needs a comical character, but that doens't mean that Gimli is a complete idiot. When I saw TTT I thought that Gimli is someone that can't do anything alone and properly. For example the scene when Aragorn has to throw him. Of course, it was rather funny, but it creates a wrong image of one of my most favourite characters. (who would have thought that?)

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 PM   #33
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Ah! But remember when Aragorn was surrounded and alone? Gimli jumped off the wall and fought about 8 Orcs by himself just to rescue Aragorn.<P>Gimli wasn't all about comic relief.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:49 AM   #34
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli was great! The talk about the dwarf women was hilarious and I hooted a little too loud when he couldn't see over the wall. I'm glad for all his comic relief because they didn't show Merry and Pippin that much and who else does comic relief but Merry and Pippin? Gimli was not only funny, he was a great warrior also. I'd like to thank John Rhys-Davies for doing an outstanding job at portraying Gimli. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #35
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

John Rhys-Davies did an excellent job. Gimli was great! Yeah, i thought that they overdid all the comic relief stuff, and the short jokes, but i must say i certainly laughed at them! And he seemed able to laugh at himself, too, which wa good. I really enjoyed the talk about the dwarf women, and the parts when Gimli was seriously fighting. They did have too much of him looking sort of uncapable, but fortunately they also had parts of the strong Gimli. I didn't like how they had him way behind and tired when they were tracking the orcs, though. Sure, he got tired, but he still kept up! It made him look weak, which he certainly isn't! But the part with with Legolas and Gimli having their orc-counting battle pretty much made up for that. <p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Hawkeye ]
Old 12-26-2002, 07:11 PM   #36
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved him. In FOTR he was mostly warrior with some emotion and a little humor. But in the book, you do see that he does have a lighter side, and I think TTT did a good job of expressing that. Humor was needed, too, because it was such a dark movie and because it was the middle section in a trilogy. Those are always the hardest to make because they don't have a definite beginning or end. So, PJ did a great job of helping a movie that already had the odds against it. The movie itself is so-so, you don't feel any resolution to the matter. The one thing I walked away from after seeing it was, gee, that was funny. Oh, and the fight scenes were cool and there was some good drama.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #37
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that he was great! The movie really did need some comic relief and Gimli sure provided it! I loved the "toss me" and "don't tell the elf" part. He should have not tired so much when they where running but oh well. He was very good!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:20 PM   #38
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, May 5th, is John Rhys-Davies's (Gimli) birthday! John was born on 5 May, 1944 in Salisbury, England. That makes him 59 today! Happy birthday John!