The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril **RotK Soundtrack - Into the West**

Okay, I've listened to the clip of "Into the West" the theme song for the Return of the King - here are the words we hear in this segment:<BR> <BR><I>What can you see over horizon?<BR>Why do the white gulls call?<BR>Across the sea<BR>(Something) horizon<BR>The ships have come to carry you home...</I><BR> <BR>Anyway, from the little segment I have heard of this song I think perhaps this song will have to grow on me, much as Gollum's song did - but then we have not yet heard the entire effect of the song in its entirety - who knows I may fall in love with this song from the moment I hear all of it for the very first time!<BR> <BR>And I also have mixed reaction about Annie Lennox's voice used here - not that I am saying her song is bad but will her singing this song, when heard in its entirety, but as haunting as Enya singing "May It Be"? I hope so but so far I have mixed reviews upon hearing her!<BR> <BR>What were <B>YOUR</B> reactions?<P>(Title edited by moderator to make it 'official')<p>[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 11-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did not like it. I was expecting someyhing more dramatic... more sad since its the end of an era! With many great things passing...<P>I wanted something more elegant and tragic, a là "Love song for a vampire"... Not that...<P>çi hope that the rest of the song is a little more sad... This is supossed to be a sad movie... and the movie song has to reflect the movie!!<P>So the thing is that I did not like it...
Old 11-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Correction on the lyrics posted above:<P><I>What can you see over the horizon?<BR>Why do the white gulls call?<BR>Across the sea<BR>A pale moon rises<BR>The ships have come to carry you home...</I><P>I think this song is growing on me and I think I will love it by the time I hear it all!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree it's tough to call when you just get 30 seconds in the middle of the song. I'm pretty neutral towards it. Personally, it sounds to me like the type of song directed straight to the Oscar academy, especially with using such a recognizable name as Annie Lennox.<P>It could be worse. They could have gotten Phil Collins. <P>H.C.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just downloaded all the clips they had at ToRN, and they made me all teary-eyed... *sniffle*<P>I agree with HC in that I'm neutral. At first I flat out disliked it, but it certainly is growing on me. It's hard to say, really. I think listening to the whole song will give me a final answer <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It could be worse. They could have gotten Phil Collins. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*snicker*
Old 11-10-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I will most definitely have to listen to the entire song before I make a final opinion about it. From the very short snippet I heard though, I didn't like it. It just didn't sound right, it seemed kind of rough. But I will have to listen to the entire song though.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:30 PM   #7
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I really want to listen, but I can't find it anywhere! Could someone please post a link?

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

I really don't know about this song. With any Soundtrack Album or song you really can't tell entil you've heard the entire song and in what scene or "Enviroment" it has been placed in. Always a good thing to remember about songs like these is " The roll of music in society is to support the needs of the moment." or film if you will. So, i am a nutrual about this. Oh, before i forget it also depends on the ARTIST singing, or playing the song and if their music is appropriate for the film or does it fit in. <BR> With a film like the return of the king, since it is the end of a set of three you had better have matching music or you'll be able to see the bruse of it at the academy awards. If you catch my drift. <P> All, in all, it is good that they have someone like Anne Lennox or Enya compose songs for this film. <P>Because really, people, listen to me, i don't think The lord of the rings really needs Christina Agulaura singing " Dirty" instead of Anne's "into the west". <BR> <BR> Yes, i know that Christina is a freak. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>" Whoa! there goes another poor Bronze casting Academy award!" - The Ka, in response to one of last year's Academy award winners. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I really want to listen, but I can't find it anywhere! Could someone please post a link? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sure! <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1068391654.html" TARGET=_blank>Here's</A> the TORN link. They have clips of every song on the soundtrack. "Into the West" is number 19.<p>[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 11-10-2003, 08:36 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> With any Soundtrack Album or song you really can't tell entil you've heard the entire song and in what scene or "Enviroment" it has been placed in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree though I think we can be pretty sure that the Lennox song will be playing during the closing credits.<P>H.C.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Thank you, Amarantha_Daisy, for the link. *grins*. I listened to the song and I was, uh, less than thrilled. I mean, she's not even singing it properly (she's "twanging" her vowels and, as my old choir teacher would say, she doesn't have an "ah" sound to it). It actually sounds almost anti-climatic. But I must admit that I was just getting used to it when the snippet ended, so maybe it'll get better as it continues. Thanks again!<P>Imladris<P>*Dashes off to listen to the others*

Old 11-10-2003, 10:47 PM   #12
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At first I was like this without the smile. I've listined to it a bit more, now I'm edging toward nuetral. <BR>I didn't like the "Gollum song either, though I'm better with it now. Maybe they should have stuck to Enya or another celtic gal for the credits.<BR>Hopefully it's better in its full form.<BR>See you later!<BR>~M<p>[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 11-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #13
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Oh, this is so depressing! I decided not to listen it before the movie but even reading your replies makes me feel cranky! But I'm positive about the rest songs being brilliant.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Having a sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who really liked the gollum song when they first heard a titbit of it? I thought it sounded like a Bond theme tune, but it works perfectly in the film. So I have no problems with annie's song.<P>As to the song having to be sad. No, it needs to be bittersweet.<P>PS The flute playing of Sir James Galway on the Return of the King track had me bawling my eyes out. And the grey havens music had me going, oh no, this will send me over the edge when I see the movie......<P>What I also love is the little bit of tin whistle you can hear on the billy boyd track. I love the tin whistle, and again, Sir James makes it sound beautiful.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #15
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

The lyrics I don't mind too much, but the whole song in itself just doesn't sound Middle-Earthy (is that a word?) to me...especially when it is sung by Annie Lennox. Maybe if it was sung by somebody with a less bright voice, it would sound a little better. <P>But who knows, maybe it will sound better once we hear the whole thing.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #16
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that they sound great!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #17
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I like Gollum's Song and May It Be better.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-11-2003, 04:42 PM   #18
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The lyrics I don't mind too much, but the whole song in itself just doesn't sound Middle-Earthy (is that a word?) to me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know exactly what you mean, and I agree! Enya and Emiliana Torrini had perfect voices for LotR, because they were kind of...urethral. I think Annie Lennox's voice is a bit too strong. Of course, this is only judging from the small piece we hear in the clip...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I like Gollum's Song and May It Be better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ditto.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #19
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Wow, I am in a minority here.<BR>I, personally, really like the song from the 30 seconds that I've heard. It didn't even take a second listen.<BR>I think people are judging Annie Lennox because of her "pop" background... what would you think if it wasn't Annie Lennox but someone who sounded pretty much the same?<P>Sometimes I think the less perfect a voice is the more it can convey sadness and heartbreak. So, I think it fits very well. I am also addictive to the melodic value of the song... <P>So, I stand proudly in saying that I LOVE IT!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #20
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Tigerlily, my mom liked it, too, and thought it was very sad. I'm starting to like it a little more...I guess I thought it just sounded un-Lord-of-the-Ringish. At the end of the movie, my mind probably will have changed though...

Old 11-12-2003, 12:03 PM   #21
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I personally have started to love it as well - I especially loved the melody of the song, a melody which is hinted at in Track #15 <I>The Black Gate Opens</I>...<P>I can't wait to hear the song and indeed the soundtrack in its entire form!
Old 11-13-2003, 04:20 PM   #22
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My first thoughts when I heard the very beginning of it "what? Moulin Rouge?" That only lasted for a second though. I do agree that is sounds a bit un-Lord-of-the-Ringsish but I also agree with Imladris <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>At the end of the movie, my mind probably will have changed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As soon as the movie is through I don't think I'll really care about what I was thinking right at this moment.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:03 AM   #23
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I just listened to Into the West, and to be honest I didn't like it very much. Her voice seemed to harsh for the song, I'd imagined that it should be much more gentle. But the actual lyrics were nice and I liked the tune. I'm just not sure about Annie Lennox's voice. But maybe it will improve once I've listened to it a few times. I liked May it Be instantly, but Gollums Song took a while to grow on me, and I'm still not sure about the lyrics. But never mind, it'll probably improve with time!<p>[ November 16, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 11-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #24
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked it. In fact I think it's perfect for the end of RotK.<P>When the Fellowship ended "May it Be" fit because it was about hoping for a victory and a brighter day. It was sending Frodo and Sam on their journey to Mordor.<P>After Towers ended "Gollum's Song" was perfect because it centered around Smeagol. It reflected his constant struggle throughout the film and foreshadowed his betrayal.<P>This year, we'll come to the end with Return of the King. The whole audience will already be feeling sad. There will be a sence of loss. From what I've heard in "Into the West" it's a song that's ment to lift us back up. To give us a hopefull feeling. This is not the end. Only a wonderful new begaining.<P>That's my two cents.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:15 PM   #25
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Thumbs up

You know what? I've actually become quite partial to this song...<P>It does take some getting used to. Or at least for me, but that's probably just because I was expecting a...softer voice. But now that I've listened to it more, it seems to be growing on me.<P>I'd love to hear the full version, and I'm sure it will work quite well in the movie. (or in the credits, I should say) I guess I was just a bit shocked when I first heard it. Was expecting something quite different...
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #26
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Well luckily OneRing has just posted the whole song.<P><A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/sounds/Annie_Lennox_-_Into_The_West.rm" TARGET=_blank>Into the West</A><P>I just listened to it and if you do I think all arguments will end.<P>H.C.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #27
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Oh I <B>LOVE</B> it!<P>It is a beautiful, haunting song IMNSHO!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:44 PM   #28
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Here are the lyrics someone posted over at ToRN - the only thing they're unsure of is the lyrics Dawn will fade" or "All will fade":<P>Lay down <BR>your sweet and weary head <BR>Night is falling, <BR>you have come to journey's end. <BR>Sleep now, <BR>and dream of the ones who came before. <BR>They are calling <BR>from across the distant shore. <P>Why do weep? <BR>What are these tears upon your face? <BR>Soon you will see <BR>all of your fears will pass away, <BR>safe in my arms <BR>you're only sleeping. <P>What can you see <BR>on the horizon? <BR>Why do the white gulls call? <BR>Across the sea <BR>a pale moon rises -- <BR>The ships have come to carry you home. <P>Dawn will turn <BR>to silver glass <BR>A light on the water <BR>All souls pass. <P>Hope fades <BR>into the world of night <BR>through shadows falling <BR>out of memory and time. <BR>Don't say, <BR>"We have come now to the end." <BR>White shores are calling <BR>you and I will meet again. <P>And you'll be here in my arms <BR>Just sleeping. <P>What can can you see <BR>on the horizon? <BR>Why do the white gulls call? <BR>Across the sea <BR>a pale moon rises -- <BR>The ships have come to carry you home. <P>And all will turn <BR>to silver glass <BR>A light on the water <BR>Grey ships pass <BR>Into the west.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:16 AM   #29
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I from the short segment, was fairly dissapointed in this song. I agree it didn't seem middle-earthy... I don't think it 'pulls at our heartstrings' as much as the others, which I think is sad, because it's the end of the whole epic trilogy. It just doesn't seem to give me the feeling I get when I read the books, but...I can't judge it too well, I haven't heard the whole thing, in context with the end of the previous song to see how it truly makes me feel... that's just my opinion on it so far.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:27 AM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My reaction to the full song:<BR> <P><BR>I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 11-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #31
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

That was so wonderful! Indescribably sad! My mum cried when listening to it and I became sad (but didn't cry). I think it's my favourite song out of the three (May it Be and Gollum's Song)

Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #32
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, well well. May it be is my favourite song. when I first heard Gollum's song I thought it sounded as if it belonged to a James Bond movie. (like some of you have said) When I hear the new song thought I havn't heard the whole thing I do not like it at all! It seems too loud, and her vioce is...uummm what would be a good word. A little to masculine almost and it doesn't seem sad enough. I was hoping they would have another woman that sounded like Enya. She seems to have the perfect quality for singing LOR songs, she has that marveuosly haunting Elvish voice. With the Gollum song like I said above and also it sounded almost if Bjork sang it. But I have become not so much used to it that I have come to feel the saddness in it and such. Wow I'm having a really hard time trying to explain myself..Oh well I'll just have to listen to the rest of it.<P>But shelob's lair and ash and smoke are good the others are probably good too. Must listen.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:03 AM   #33
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I guess folks are just replying to the first post, but it seems at least a couple of people have missed that the whole song is now available. So in order to catch their attention ...<P> <P><A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/sounds/Annie_Lennox_-_Into_The_West.rm" TARGET=_blank>THE WHOLE SONG!!!</A><P> <P>I really think that if you click on the link above, your worries will be laid aside.<P>H.C.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:37 AM   #34
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

LOL - You know I would love to sit in the theater after ROTK is over, and listen to this song and cry some more - yes I know the ending will have me bawling like a baby already - I would love to sit and listen but I suspect my bladder will be saying to me <B>"Get up ALREADY you MORON and go to the bathroom! I'm about to pop!"</B><P>Yes, I DO love this song - I truly do!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:35 AM   #35
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Sting

I just listened the whole song and when the trombones first played I had tears in my eyes! Or were they trombones...I think they were.
Quote:
I DO love this song - I truly do!!!
I second that! The melody is beautiful, the lyrics are touching and it's snowing outside. I just want to cry. *sigh* War of the Ring has some competition concerning this song. Click if you're interested.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Having a sweeping party...
Old 11-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #36
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, wish I'd found this thread sooner!<P>What I heart of the small clip, I really loved it! My mom didn't, though. But she also didn't like Gollem's song.<P>BTW, thanks a whole lot HC!<BR>When I first listened to the full version, I was stuned! It's so beautifull!<P>HC, or anybody else who might now this, are there any full clips from the other songs from the soundtrack?<P>Navaer!<P>Aethelwine.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:02 AM   #37
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Or were they trombones...I think they were. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They sounded like French Horns to me.<P>The lyrics and music are very touching, but they don't bring Middle-Earth to mind as the other two did. But I think that I must be hard to please because the other two didn't capture me much either (I started arguing with Gollum's song ).<P>At times it sounds like a Christmas Carol (I must listen to some weird Carols!) and then at the end it sounds like something from Fantasia.<P>Not really how I'd imagine the ending of RotK. Just as well I'll probably be out of the cinema by then!
Old 11-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #38
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like it, but yet I don't like it. It's not even remotely middle-earthish. I stayed behind to listen to Gollum's song in the cinema, but I'll be leaving before this starts!
Old 11-22-2003, 09:46 AM   #39
Mischievous Candle

Sting

Quote:
They sounded like French Horns to me.
Brass instruments anyway.
Quote:
are there any full clips from the other songs from the soundtrack?
I don't know about the tracks being full lenght on this site but at least there are some clips. I haven't tried them because I want to see the movie first.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Having a sweeping party...
Old 11-22-2003, 03:03 PM   #40
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The song is beautiful. <P>slightly off thread, but does anyone know anywhere that's selling the soundtrack in england yet? it's saturday and I can't find it. I know it's not due out until tuesday, but last year I got TT at leat 4 or 5 days early in a Virign record store. alas none yet. Anyone found it yet? If so, could you PM me and tell me where? I can't wait!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote