The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2004, 05:55 PM   #41
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Also, most of Miranda's Eowyn's inner struggle, as it were, was centered around her love/ infatuation for Aragorn, while with the book Eowyn, that was only part of her problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Corwyn Celesil, you said what I wanted to say much better than I did That's exactly what I was trying to get at. It really diminishes Eowyn's character to make her only problem her infatuation with Aragorn, like she's the cliche 'gotta find me a man, I don't wanna die alone' type.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the love of a lady so fair and brave<BR>that cannot be returned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's what bugs me about the Aragorn/Eowyn interactions in the movie. It seems to me that Aragorn is thinking: "well, I got this sexy elf lady but I don't know if she's even in ME by now, and her dad hates me; or I've got this crazy fun-lovin' ( ) Rohirrim chick right here and now and I can see she likes me and her dad doesn't think I'm so bad, either". He cracks jokes with her, hugs her, and in the cup scene where he's meant to be quite - unsettled - by her infatuation with him, it's not entirely clear that he's not just in mourning for the "victorious dead" and worried about where Frodo is. Very modern, very annoying.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #42
PoisonIvy
Pile O'Bones

PoisonIvy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

never has a female character been effectively and wholeheartedly portrayed by Miranda Otto when she took on the role of Eowyn. Those infatuation sequences in the movie with aragorn, i guess, are to lay the conviction for viewers that she is, despite all, a woman, gentle on the inside yet capable of courage, of bravery. kind of like a preparation especially with the character she's "turned into" in RotK, very strong, so "unladylike" if you know what I mean, so "manly." her TTT scenes were to establish her as a LADY, a WOMAN...strong yet gentle, capable of loving.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #43
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> her (Miranda's, Éowyn of the movie) TTT scenes were to establish her as a LADY, a WOMAN...strong yet gentle, capable of loving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, and for a movie it works well. Also she can't cook stew (EE DVD)... of course she didn't tell Aragorn it was made out of warg carcass.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #44
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Miranda Otto played a very charming and endearing character in the films, but that character was not Eowyn as Tolkien wrote her.