The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 11:06 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Frodo (Elijah Wood)*

How did you like Frodo's role and Elijah Wood's acting in the second movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:43 AM   #2
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I love this hobbit, but he really freaked me out with his depressed expressions and mannerisms. The peril of possessing the Ring is revealed in full. There is a haunted look in his eyes.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:23 AM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Elijah Wood was excellent in this movie. You could really see how the ring was corrupting him, yet he was still trying to hold onto who he really is.<BR>His interaction with Sam and Gollum is excellent!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 PM   #4
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I had to laugh at the review in the <I>Washington Post</I> where the reviewer blasted Elijah's acting in TTT. I don't necessarily agree, but he said he thought that his acting ability was limited to that "one stricken look." <P>Frodo was too mean to Sam! But that's not Elijah's fault.<p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: thorondil ]
Old 12-18-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Eli was incredible in this film, and I'm sick of people bashing him. I KNOW Frodo is different in the books, but I support the portrayl. I celebrate that difference becuase it has it's means, and I believe that will be justified in the end. Eli was compelling. And his interactions with Sam and gollum were kick-a**.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:43 PM   #6
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Agree Pookabunny. I loved his portrayal of Frodo. It's true he does have that "stricken look" on alot but I like that.<P>Movie critics can find faults in anything, I usually don't take them seriously.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

I have to admit that I liked him in this one. Yes, I know he was different from the book, but this is one aspect of this movie that I still like. In the first one he was a bit emasculated, yes...but in this one he wasn't as much, I thought. Let's put it this way: he scared me in places, like I wouldn't want to get in his way or have him catch me looking at the Ring or something like that.<P>I like Elijah's acting...okay, okay I'll admit it, I love psychosis. To pieces. I love characters on the edge, and so I enjoyed every time he yelled at Sam or rolled his eyes up into his head. (And especially that "They're coming" line...silly as it was I liked it). Not that I don't like Sam and liked to see him get yelled at, of course. It's just that it's so disconcerting to see Frodo act that way towards beloved Sam and...I sorta liked that. In a twisted way, probably.<P>I don't really have it all that sorted out, actually. My feelings about the Frodo portrayal. I liked it, but it got all mixed up with the truely dismal Faramir and so I'm still trying to work that out.<P>In summary: I liked it. I know it was different from the book, but those of you who don't like the difference in character must forgive me because Frodo was never my favorite in the book. So I can't get upset too much about changes in that respect.<P>Edit: Eew, I just looked this over and it has hideous rambling grammar. Sorry. But like I said, I don't have my opinions on the matter sorted out yet so my thoughts are wandering.<p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-19-2002, 06:06 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I guess everyone who didn't like Frodo (and there are a good few) aren't bothering with this thread yet.<P>I thought he was really good. Not outstanding as the main character perhaps should be, and I don't want to place the blame here. I thought the trio of Frodo, Sam and Gollum was excellent.<P>Really good, but unfortunate for Elijah that he was up against Sean Astin and Gollum for the whole movie, those 2 definitely stole the show.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:23 AM   #9
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Where is the growth? Where is the simple hobbit become Ring-bearer, destiny changer? Where is the light in his face, the wisdom, the gifted grace?<P>He had few enough opportunities to shine, and none of them were taken.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:42 AM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How did you like Frodo's role and Elijah Wood's acting in the second movie? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Frodo's role, ie. the screenplay-- See Rimbaud's post, with which I despairingly agree. PJ needs to study the concept of Nobility. It is entirely missing in these films except by experienced actors' instinct alone; I wonder how many actors' instinctively noble moments ended up on the cutting floor?<P>Elijah Wood's portrayal: I think he did a magnificent job-- considering the dismal, wholly inaccurate, entirely non-canonical assignment he was given. (See Birdland's "The Indecisive Nazgul" thread.) Alas! If only Elijah Wood had read, and absorbed, the trilogy beforehand, as McKellen had, and stood up to the writers and directors just as McKellan did... but Wood was just a boy. Alas, alas...<P>I'll eventually get used to it, and eventually accept (again) that there are two distinct Frodos; the Real one from the books, and PJ's Alternate Universe Fanfic version.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:53 AM   #11
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aye, <B>mark12_30,</B><P>Well met. * bows a friendly greeting *<P>Nobility. I found that concept lacking as well, though I worded it as "decency" when I brought it up this morning in the Faramir thread.<P>As for Frodo ... at one point, I had to remind myself he was in the movie! The movie I was watching about Rohan was wonderful and fascinating with beautiful scenery, horses, costumes, and battle scenes, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (placing my nit-picking critiques about Theoden and Eomer and the appearance of the Elves (which made me blink) at the back of my mind and allowing myself to absorb the magnificent feel of the Land of the Rohirrim) ... But had the director forgotten the Ringbearer, or lost him?<P>Gandalf the Grey<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

To be fair, GtG, I remember having <I>that</I> feeling when I first read the book, many years ago, too...<P>
Old 12-19-2002, 09:58 AM   #13
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Then we differ, Rimbaud.<P>* bows cordially *
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:04 AM   #14
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Oh, I was merely being facetious, as is my wont. When I was a child I had an impatience, a yearning for certain storylines. I remember skipping hastily through the first half of TTT to find out what Frodo and Sam were up to. That is all I was referring to. <P>My disappointment with the film rendition of Frodo, esp. in this installment still holds, though.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #15
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Was it just me, or did anyone notice an incredibly drastic change in Frodo from FotR to TTT? Well, I know he changes, but he goes from a slightly depressed little hobbit setting off on a horrible Quest with his friend, to somebody-kill-me-or-I-think-I-might-give-up-the-Ring depressed. In the course of the book, it was only 3 days!!! I really don't think the Ring would suddenly start overpowering him like that. It's illogical.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:02 PM   #16
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you all about the points you have made. Yes, it's true that Frodo we met in the book was more mature and wise, and allthough the Ring little by little took a grip of him, we still saw his inner strength much more than we saw while watching the movies. But no, I don't think PJ has "butchered" (as someone put it) his character and made him seem like a wimp. And this is from the mouth of a true Frodo-lover. He was my absolute favourite in the book, so believe me, I would make a right fuss if I thought the character was wronged.<BR>Now that I think of it, I even liked Movie-Frodo more in TTT than in FotR. Elijah's frightenedfrodo-look was starting to irritate me a bit towards the end of it. I admit that the change the Ring makes to Frodo has come too soon, but there's something good to it too. I tell you, the scene where he was pointing the sword to Sam was absolutely heart breaking. (wich leads me to Sean Astin, but i'll leave my praises to another thread) <P>Boy is this gonna be a looong message. Well, that's what happens when you get me started on Frodo.<P>So, a bit of a summary:<BR>My complaints:<BR> As you guys allready said, could we please see more of the Frodo who despite and because of the huge burden he has to carry manages to grow as a hobbit? The real Frodo in him, who shouldn't have disappeared yet.<BR>And I would appreciate PJ telling Elijah that just because Frodo is suffering, he doesn't have to have that "oh, this is sooo hard and I'm just about to cry"-face ALL the time. (Now don't get me wrong, I love Elijah to pieces. That's also why i want him to be a good Frodo.)<P>The good things:<BR>There were some REALLY good scenes. I love seeing the other sides of Frodo too. He feeling sorry for Smeagol, being influenced by the Ring and yelling at Sam (though it IS too soon), etc. And Elijah did mostly a good job. And, the number one fact: I love movie-Frodo too. He and the book-Frodo are sometimes quite different, but I still love the new one too. <P>OMG, I just noticed what I have written. I am truly sorry about this post, it's rambling and has nothing new to say, but I just had to get this out of my system. Thanks, if you bothered to read.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:08 PM   #17
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Oh, you all thought you'd got off the hook? No, I still have lots to say! The incredibly boring Frodo-fan is back! MWAHHAHHAA! <P>TolkienGurl, I don't think Frodo was too depressed in the movie. He was "depressed" in the book as well. (if you call being on a hopeless mission that will wreck your health and sanity and is by all means above you, depression, that is) There were other things that buggedf me about him, but that wasn't one of them.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:23 PM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Maybe I'm just easy pray for movie directers but thought Frodo was spectacualar. When I watched the movie I felt PJ was just doing it very best to show how powerfull the Ring was. Frodo didn't look like a depressed wimpy hobbit at all. He had parts where his hobbit intelect showed through and NOBILITY! Everything he did with Gollum was NOBLE! I also liked how he started to turn on Sam. This aspect happens later in the book but I still think it was apropriate. <P>Like Diamond I thought his freaky parts were really cool. Especially when he said "They're coming" *shivers*<P>And if all that wasn't enough to convice you, at the end when Sam is talking about being put into stories FRODO IS SMILING! Just like he was back in the Shire. He looks like he can really go all the way. And when he mentions that one of the chief characters is Sam you know that everything's alright between him and Sam too.<P>GO ELIJAH!
Old 12-19-2002, 03:44 PM   #19
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And I would appreciate PJ telling Elijah that just because Frodo is suffering, he doesn't have to have that "oh, this is sooo hard and I'm just about to cry"-face ALL the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No kidding. That was really annoying.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He was "depressed" in the book as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Depressed, but with a resolution for self-sacrifice that lends him great nobility and grace in the books. This is what movie-Frodo lacks so sorely. He looks like a little boy that took a wrong turn and ended up on the road to Mordor. He’s scared out of his wits and he has no idea what he’s doing half the time. I liked it very much when he finally cracked a smile at Sam’s stories. Thank God I haven’t heard anyone call them "gay" yet. PJ did a good job of representing their friendship and Sam's loyalty. I really missed the light that Sam saw in Frodo. Hopefully it'll be in RotK. (My, I've ended my last dozen posts with that expression .)
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:50 AM   #20
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Elijah Wood did the best job that he could, given the interpretation of 'Frodo as victim" which he was required to play. The problem does not lie in the actor, but rather in the director and the screenplay.<P>The Frodo in the book was so much richer than the damaged goods which PJ offers us in his fanfiction. Essentially, what we have in the two films is "half" of Frodo. Just as Gollum's personality had two sides, so also did Frodo's. PJ manages very well with the half of Frodo which is falling under the Ring's domination. <P>But what about the other half? It's just not there. This was the gentle hobbit who had the light of an Elf-friend in his eye, who saw visions, and who displayed amazingly courteous behavior towards Faramir which the latter actually commented on. This list could go on and on.<P>In the movie, Frodo's pity for Gollum seems to stem strictly from his own fear that he himself will be tranformed into a similar creature. Again, there is some of that in the book Frodo, but it's only part of the story. What about Gandalf's earlier plea that Frodo show true mercy, not tied to any self-serving motive? I get very little sense that the movie Frodo is consciously remembering that dictum.<P>Finally, there's that whole crazy problem of Faramir. In my mind the problem of Frodo and Faramir are linked. The "victimized" Frodo could never have participated in that lengthy interchange and discussion in the book (stretched over three chapters) that so highlights the nobility of both these characters, the hobbit and the man. When you start changing Frodo's character so sharply, it inevitably means that Faramir also must be modified, since there's no way those three chapters could come alive on the movie screen as written.<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-20-2002, 03:42 AM   #21
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To be quite honest I've had two reservations, in part inter-connected with each other, about the 'movie-Frodo' right from the beginning. He simply seem to be too young & immature to me - the fact that he's being played by E. Wood (too young & too cute) doesn't help. And I'm not questioning Elijah Woods acting abilities I should say.<P>On the other hand, given what PJ seem to have wanted from 'his' Frodo, the casting of Wood seem to be in order - though Elijah Wood actually casted himself! I can't help but think that maybe PJ changed the Frodo character a bit to fit better into Woods abilities?
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 04:03 AM   #22
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok... I don't really know if Elijah Wood acted well or not, but I did'nt like the portrayal of Frodo in the film. He shouldn't have been this possessed yet!! I agree with you, who said that "the other half" of Frodo was missing! Yes it was! He was almost totally possessed in the film, and Sam was made the real hero (and of course he is brave, but Frodo is also wise, in a different way). And I didn't like the fact (that somebody also commented on already) that they had tried to draw too many similarities between Frodo and Gollum.I think their relationship was all too simplified in the film. In the book Frodo felt genuinely sorry for Gollum, he pitied him, understood finally Gandalf's words etc.- it certainly wasn't ONLY because he saw himself in Gollum! (at least that's what I think...)<BR>And yes- Faramir. I know this is off-topic, but what had they done to Faramir and why? In the book the conversation between Frodo and Faramir and SAm was so touching, because Faramir seemed to really understand the weight of the burden Frodo had chosen to carry. But in the film??? Well, I could go on forever.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:01 AM   #23
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Frodo's my favorite character, but I'm sorry to say that I actually liked him better in the first movie than in this one. <P>Elijah Wood did a good job but I just wish they hadn't made Frodo so possessed about the ring already.<BR>What mainly attracts me to Frodo is his sweet personality, but they didn't show a lot of that side of him in this movie.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:54 AM   #24
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In short, the character was too wimpy but Elijah did a great job giving that character life. If you can call that a life. <BR>And since I'm no fan of Elijah Wood I believe that me saying this is amazing.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:35 AM   #25
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I noticed 2 places in the movie (there's probably more) where Frodo could have said something to Faramir but he was silent.<P>This is how it <I>should</I> have been, in my opinion: (from the book)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Faramir smiled grimly. 'Then you would grieve to learn that Boromir is dead?'<P>'I would grieve indeed,' said Frodo. Then catching the look in Faramir's eyes, he faltered. 'Dead?' he said. 'Do you mean that he is dead and that you knew it? You have been trying to trap me in words, playing with me? Or are you now trying to snare me with a falsehood?'<P>'I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood,' said Faramir.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Faramir turned to frodo again. 'You asked how do I know that the son of Denethor is dead. Tidings of death have many wings. <I>Night oft brings news to near kindred</I>, 'tis said. Boromir was my brother.<P>A shadow of sorrow passed over his face. 'Do you remember aught of special mark that the Lord Boromir bore with him among his gear?'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I think it would have been much better, and Faramir better portrayed, not to mention Frodo, if things were done by the book instead of having the long pauses focused on frodo's face.<P>I wish Frodo would have said something like he did in the book! <P>What do you think?<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
Old 12-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #26
Nenya
Wight

Sting

I was really happy about the scene where Frodo&co were at the Gates, and he said something like "I do not ask you to come with me, Sam". MORE of that silent determination to go where he must go and do what he must do, even though it seems impossible.<P>Child of the 7th age (I'm a bit unsure about who should I call you...?), I agree with many of you're points. I'm just not that annoyed with the changes. Maybe I'm just more easily pleased. <BR>It would've been a hell of a job for PJ to display <I>our</I> Frodo and at the same time show the grasp the Ring is taking of him. It can be done far more easier in the book, where we can "hear" Sam's thoughts about his friend, and with all that carefully laid groundwork to tell us what kind of hobbit Frodo is. And even then we don't get the full picture of the inner battle Frodo is going through. I think by "victimizing" him, PJ is trying to show us how big the influence really is, and what Frodo is battling against.<BR>Still, I don't agree with all the desicions he has made. In my opinion, he could've handeled some things much better, but no-one's perfect, eh?<P>About the pity: I infact thought it was quite well done. I didn't get the feeling that Frodo was only thinking of himself and what he would become, but understood that Gollum hadn't always been like that, and it wasn't his choice to become that appalling creature. And he says "Maybe he does deserve to die, but now that I see him, I do pity him" wich to me is a clear sign that he remebers Gandalf's words.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:06 PM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I totally disagree that he has no nobility or courage. He treated Gollum with respect from the start. He pleaded for Gollum's life from Faramir.<P>He also asked Sam to leave him as he didn't want Sam to get hurt.<P>And depressed? Didn't he smile a couple of times at Sam's cheery nature? Bearing in mind, HE'S ON HIS WAY TO MORDOR!!!!!!!! He's not going to be happy, he's going to be extremely worried.<P>Plus, the sword scene with Sam was absolutely beautiful and tear-jerking.<P>Indeed, I believe Frodo was done rather well. Not perfect, and could have been better, but done well nonetheless.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:17 PM   #28
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I noticed 2 places in the movie (there's probably more) where Frodo could have said something to Faramir but all he did was stand there and look terrified.<BR>This is how it was (not exact quotes):<P>"Then it would grieve you to know that Boromir is dead?"<P>Frodo looks terrified. "Dead? How?"<P>"As a member of the Company, I thought you could tell me. *pause* Boromir was my brother"<P>Frodo looks terrified. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>TolkienGurl, I didn't think Frodo looked terrified, just very surprised and dismayed that Boromir was dead. I can't remember exactly, but I thought that Frodo did say more in that scene than "Dead, how?"<P>Anyway, like I said before, I recognize the changes in Frodo's character, but (unlike Faramir!) still like the movie version quite a bit. A personal quirk, thou mayest call it.<P>Oh, and I also agree with Eomer's above post. <p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-22-2002, 05:54 PM   #29
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Diamond18: Please don't be angry. I have a horrible habit of belting out my opinions with no thought of others. Sorry.<P>Ok you caught me! I forgot he said:<P>"Dead? How? When?"<P>Anyway, I've seen the movie three times already (yes, I am pathetic, in a good way ), and have paid very close attention each time. My point was that there were two large pauses where Frodo could have had some good comebacks like in the book.<P>****************************************** *<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I can't remember exactly, but I thought that Frodo did say more in that scene than "Dead, how?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Frodo also introduced himself and Sam in this scene, and mentioned the Company. I was merely nitpicking a section of that scene.<P>Oh, and Faramir asked, "Were you a friend of Boromir?"<P>And Frodo thinks (It would have been cool if here they had a flash back of Boromir attacking Frodo. That's what he was thinking about in the book at the time of that question), then says, "Yes. For my part." <P>***********************************<P>I don't mean to sound like I hate the movie, or anything. I loved it! I'm just very cynical sometimes. <BR> <BR>What I meant as 'terrified' is better explained when <B>Child</B> said he looks like 'the victim.'<P>It seems to me that Elijah Wood has a hard time portraying certain emotions on his face. Maybe it's those purty blue eyes. But, hey- he certainly is good looking when he smiles! <P>~TolkienGurl<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
Old 12-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #30
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm afraid I agree with the Washington Post. Elijah's acting lacks subtlety. He was far better in the <I>Fellowship of the Ring</I>. His natural screen presence and charisma still carry the role, but he hasn't much insight into Frodo's motivations. You can really tell he never read the books.<P>Elijah doesn't understand Frodo, and he's playing him reactively, developing the role according to what 'happens' to Frodo instead of considering he has a mind that looks beyond the immediate experience in front of the camera. It's getting predictable, and that's a very bad sign:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Danger lurks.<BR><LI> Frodo walks into danger.<BR><LI> Frodo gets rescued.<BR><LI> Frodo gives camera miserable bewildered look.<BR><LI> Frodo whines (prettily); insert statement - 'the ring is getting heavy,' 'why me,' 'I do pity Gollum,' all complete with identical bewildered expression. </UL><BR> <BR>I do think Elijah is steamy, sensual and deliciously charismatic. Those big blue eyes looking bewildered make me drool. Don't worry, Frodo dahling - I'll save you. And I can't wait till he has a break-the-squeaky-clean-Hobbit-image sex-romp movie (oh please, oh please...). But man am I disappointed with his Frodo.<P>Not that he didn't look delicious as a virgin sacrifice to the Nazgul. Gee, Naz, what are you waiting for? Forget the ring!<P>-Maril<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-22-2002, 07:21 PM   #31
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Tolkien

Your sad.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:29 PM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Diamond18: Please don't be angry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh heavens, don't worry! I wasn't angry at all. Just nit-picking. You've seen it three time already? Wow! I'm not going again till the 27th. <P>Ah, Maril...you're hilarious.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:34 AM   #33
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Maril, please be more gentle! This is the actor who plays my Frodo, afterall. <P>Maybe we should start a thread: "If I were a Nazgul, what would I do differently". They sure could use same hints.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #34
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Well, Maril, apparently you are anticipating "Try Seventeen" as much as I'm dreading it. Gah! I much prefer innocence. I think it's much more interesting, and alluring, for that matter.<P>But I do have to agree with you that it's too clear Wood hadn't read the books. I think he knew it was going to catch up with him eventually. Looks like Dec 18 was the day...<P>(it's just an AU fanfic, it's just an AU fanfic...)
Old 12-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #35
Namarie
Pile O'Bones

Namarie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Namarie
Sting

ooooooo but elijah is soooo cute
Old 12-26-2002, 02:39 AM   #36
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I think Elijah Wood is a wonderfully gifted actor, and I love watching his version of Frodo on screen, but the thing is, it is his version (or the screenwriters), not the book version. <BR>In the book, Frodo seemed to be a way braver charater, but in the movie he is kind of whimpy (in a way). <BR>I am <B>NOT</B>saying that I do not like it, I actually kind of like the haunted look that he has through most the film.<P>I wish Elijah Wood would have read the books before he had filmed the films, because some of the other actors (example:Ian McKellan, Sean Astin)who had read the books, seemed to hit their charaters right on the mark (because those two charaters act exactly like they do in the book)<P>But for me Frodo is a little off key, but I still like the movie version.<BR>OK, I like both
Old 12-26-2002, 07:55 AM   #37
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

First of all, to me Elijah Wood IS FRODO, or would be if the script would let him. I think that helped by the make-up and wardrobe people (of course they're brilliant, they're kiwis, not some block-headed Bracegirdles from Hardbottle!) he brings a lot of genuine Frodoey goodness to the role. <P>He definitely looks like he has that "Elvish air about him", and he is indeed "fairer than most" hobbits. It's the script that robs us of the real Frodo, the intelligent, enduring, tough, wise, just Frodo of the books. He definitely falls too far, too fast. In the first movie he trips out a lot, and in the second he's just about ready to bash Sam's head in for not knowing what being a ringbearer is like. He's definitely less tolerant than book-Frodo - so is Sam, why did he try to break Gollum's neck?? He also doesn't come across as being as intelligent as in the books, either, maybe because he never speaks any Elvish. <P>Of course, most of what we know about book-Frodo comes from reading what his thoughts are, which is a bit tricky in a movie. Could've been done much better, though. Poor Peter Jackson, I don't think he fully realised how closely the movies would be scrutinised! Maybe he never heard of Episode 1!
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #38
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Frodo was cool. I was kind of scared though towards the middle of the movie, because I felt that I couldn't see his and Sam's friendship very much. He was getting very close to Gollum which was really freaking me out. I didn't actually cry in this movie, but I was about to when Frodo yelled at Sam. I was about to jump into the screen and start yelling at him and telling him off. But when Frodo pointed that sword at Sam, I cringed. I couldn't stand it. I was sitting there whispering to myself, "No, Frodo. Don't do this. No..."<P>I couldn't take it. My beloved Sam and Frodo were growing apart. I just don't know how I will be able to take it anymore. But as far as the acting goes, it was awesome. Elijah is so cool. I don't think they could have found anyone who could play this tragic role better.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:57 PM   #39
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Eruwen: I felt as bad for Frodo as I did for Sam. Imagine what he must've felt like when realising he had just almost killed his beloved friend. <BR>(Sheesh. Elina, there ISN'T a real Frodo or a real Sam, they are just FICT- blah, I give up. OF COURSE they are real! )
Old 12-28-2002, 10:47 PM   #40
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One word: WOW! I thought that Elijah Wood did an EXCELLENT job at portraying Frodo!! Not that I'd ever say anything <I>bad</I> about Elijah... But seriously, this was acting at its best. You coud feel Frodo's struggle with the Ring, and his despair that his task is impossible. He was great!!!