The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Silmarillion Movies

It is highly unlikely that The Silmarillion is going to be made into a big Hollywood feature film anytime soon. So, myself and the fine people of the PPC Board have come up with the following idea.

The Silmarillion Film Project

Our plan is to write, draw, voice, and score four movies depicting the events in the Silmarillion. The films will (tentatively) be titled:
  • The Fall of the Noldor
  • The Lay of Leithian
  • The War of Wrath
  • The Tale of Turin
There will also possibly be a fifth, about the Akallabeth.

But there are far too few people on the board now. So, to all you artists, actors, and musicians out there on the 'Downs, we need your help! Check out the site, and see if there's anything you can/want to do to lend a hand. We're in need of all sorts, so don't be shy!

And, if you don't want to be directly involved, you can post thoughts, opinions, and ideas here. Is there a favourite scene you want to ask about? Any suggestions for design or music? Let us know here!

Thank you very much,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Good gracious! You certainly are very brave to even consider such an undertaking. I think that a movie about Beren and Luthien would be quite interesting.

I think that James Cameron or Howard Shore would be great composers for the score.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Feamel

Four movies won't do, The Silmarillion just won't pull in audencieces like LOTR, nobody outside of book fans really care, sad but true. If it did make it into a movie (or two) alot will be cut but what I think needs to stay is The story of the Noldor, Luthien and Beren,The fall of Gondolion and the war of the wrath. I don't know why, but I always pictured Feanor as a very ****ed of Tom Cruise (Like in The Last Samarai) and Meaglor as Tom Welling (from Smallville, the less he says, the better)
Old 11-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Heh. I doubt we could get someone so pretigious to do the music! We have a few thoughts of our own floating around for it, so hopefully we'll be able to do a good job ourselves.

All the parts are being done by people on the board. We're not enlisting celebrities or outside help (except possibly for CG work). Besides, hS has dibs on Maglor. Good suggestions though! Thanks for wanting to help out!

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ooh!

Sounds intriguing, Saphy! When I've got a little more time I will be sure to check it out more. Do you actually intend to make these movies, or is it just for fun? 'Cause it would be crazy if you did. I looked at the thread for the score, and I'd love to get involved in that. *Enca holds mouse cursor over the Finale icon on her desktop and grins wickedly*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I am having trouble posting on the Silmarillion Movies message board. I registered and made sure I copied and pasted the password given, but the board said that either my name or the password is invalid. I used the same screen name as here to register. I have gotten e-mails from the board saying that I am registed and what my password is. Could someone tell me what the problem is?
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Ooh, I'd love to be involved! *volunteers to direct, act, write, design, whatever*

I'm taking a Video Production class this year!

*trots off to reread Silm*

Last edited by Elennar Starfire; 11-20-2004 at 08:23 PM.
Elennar Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Awsome!

That would be cool to do! I've done story boards many times before (i have film inclined friends)...

I would be interested in story board production, if you are going to need any.

~Enthusiastic Artistic Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen
I am having trouble posting on the Silmarillion Movies message board. I registered and made sure I copied and pasted the password given, but the board said that either my name or the password is invalid. I used the same screen name as here to register. I have gotten e-mails from the board saying that I am registed and what my password is. Could someone tell me what the problem is?
Yeah, that happens sometimes. *headdesk* If ye like I could go in and change your password, then PM the new one to ye here. If it is actually working now, let me know so I don't go mucking up yer password for no reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Sounds intriguing, Saphy! When I've got a little more time I will be sure to check it out more. Do you actually intend to make these movies, or is it just for fun? 'Cause it would be crazy if you did. I looked at the thread for the score, and I'd love to get involved in that. *Enca holds mouse cursor over the Finale icon on her desktop and grins wickedly*
Yes, we are actually planning on making them. Probably will just float around on the 'Net (although my mom does have a DVD burner on her laptop computer...), but it should be really cool. And by all means come help with the music! We're kinda floundering on that; plus more people with Finale would really be great.

Elennar, that's great you're actually taking a class on this stuff! We would be very grateful for your help. ^_^

THE Ka, you can definitely come help with storyboards. We have the Prologue and Scenes 1-5 up already, so you can check those out if ye'd like to get started right away. Thank you for offering to help out! Also, there is a thread in the Conceptual Art section where you can post and link to any artwork ye've done, if you're interested.

Thank'ee all for your enthusiasm! *sends hugs and gold stars to the 'Downers* This is really going to be a great project, especially with all your help!

Abedithon le,

~ A very happy Saphy ~
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I was able to log on to the message board, thank you for the offer to change the password.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question A little problem?

I recently went to go register for the movie project discussion board, and after signing in, i never recieved my password information e-mail. i just wanted to know if this is a common occurance...

Just being skeptical...

Also , i checked out the artist's part of the forum, i too have a deviant art account yeay! and i though i was alone! But, i really need to update it. you can go check it out though. my account name is Amenti Meri.

~Strawberry fields Ka~
Old 11-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Quote:
I recently went to go register for the movie project discussion board, and after signing in, i never recieved my password information e-mail. i just wanted to know if this is a common occurance...
Gah. Yeah, that happens sometimes. I'll go in, change the password, and send you the new one. Then you can change it to whatever you want. Sound good?

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

Have we decided on Live Action or Animation?

And can I be Maeglin if it's live?

*evil grin*
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #14
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Ye could be Maeglin either way; they will need voices if they're animated. Unless we want to do "The Silmarillion (as performed by animated mimes)". o.O

[You need help.]

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-25-2004, 12:23 PM   #15
Lady Ewen

God! What a huge task !!! I wish you luck from the very bottom of my heart !!!
To me, the reading of the Silmarillion was simply a revelation !!!!! Awesome !!!!
I agree that 4 movies would be too much for the audience... But how could it be possible to reduce it?
Well, in any way I would be glad if I could help so....
Namarië!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
nobody outside of book fans really care
I think that if a movie was made then it would be like when Dune came out. If you don't know what Dune is then it is a great example of a really long, expensive movie that wasn't made for blockbuster audience goers. Though I haven't seen all of it, my dad assures me it's wonderful.

Music would have to be handled by Howard Shore. Who else could take such sensitive scenes and stress them perfectly? Plus, he's Canadian and I'm all for giving Canadians work. Heh.

Let me just say that whoever directs or writes should be a Tolkien scholar or the viewers would probably resort to mob-justice if they got something wrong.

It wouldn't be so hard because the book is so long or intricate, but because a lot of the book was by interpretation. Even more so than LOTR. It would be tricky business.

Aria Cantabile
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #17
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That sounds awesome!

I can't wait to get a look at them. I'd really like to see the fight between Huor and Sauron. Who would've thought a talking dog could take on Sauron? Just seeing the Silmarills would be cool, too.

Well, I hope you have the best of luck in this adventure. I would come along, but I have some other pressing matters here that I must attend to. I wish you well, and hope to see your fine results.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #18
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

That sounds great,but I think it will be to hard too make,because it is hard to put all stories (Valinor,all battles,Beren and Luthien) in only 4 movies.And if you kick something out,the movie will be confusing for those people who didn't read the book.Sorry,but i think it's too hard.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
That sounds great,but I think it will be to hard too make,because it is hard to put all stories (Valinor,all battles,Beren and Luthien) in only 4 movies.And if you kick something out,the movie will be confusing for those people who didn't read the book.Sorry,but i think it's too hard
But you'll never know unless you try. No doubt many people told PJ he was being ridiculous trying to shoot three movies all at once.
p.s. just though I'd bump this thread back up, since I think it's an excellent idea & I'm sure they can use all the help they can get.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #20
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Someone has already tried making or has made a film based on The First Age, and being a stupid orc I cannot recall its name. I will try and get back on this, unless someone out there knows what in Udun I am on about.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #21
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A flim based partly on The Silmarillion

The Film facts can be found at Ancanar, apparently this film is done by Tolkien fans has been in production since 1999, lets hope it doesnt take as long as the Prof did to write it.

NOMOREIHERE
Old 01-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #22
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I think I should like to help if I am able to (i.e., if I can fit it in along with school, drama, choir, guitar, etc.) I like to write, so perhaps I could help with story boards or something. I can also sing and act, though I have never done any voice acting before, which can be quite different from acting on stage. I've always thought that my voice is a little "unusual", or weird, but my family thinks it's fine.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #23
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just type in the word Ancanar and see what you get, I heard about this film 3000 yrs ago
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #24
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Excuse me. Hasn't the best Siilmarillion story been overlooked here (even has a pretty much happy ending), Tuor, of course, not his cousin. (You can't do business with that hothead Turin).
Old 05-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #25
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril A Bit Of Resurrection-Just Call Me Luthien

I'm Maeglin on the Silmarillion Film Project, one of the two or three scriptwriters. Things are going pretty well, but, of course, it's a long long adventure...

Scripts are quite developed, with Fall of the Noldor and Lay of Luthien (mine, my own, my precious...) almost complete. However, art is still in conceptual and basic stages. Basically, any Downers fit to wield a brush/pen/pencil who want to help will be more than willingly received. You can have fun drawing your favourite bits and do us an immense favour.

We already have several esteemed Downers, of course; Saphy owns the board and the KA is in control of artists. Elennar was a vital aid to me an proofreading. Elianna has cropped up a bit. The Only Real Estel himself has dropped in. But we can always do with more active members.

If you're interested in Voice Acting or Music, we'll also be extremely pleased to see you. Hearing a few auditions and/or compositions will really liven things up. There are a couple of lists of available parts in the Voices forum.

So come and play at the Silmarillion Film Project...

See you there!

PS Tuor, your story is the major part of the War of Wrath film. Worry not...
Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #26
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
the KA is in control of artists.
Not in control, just keeping our notorious habits of procrastination ( I promise not to be in denial anymore) up to speed to that of the rest of the departments... As best as we can...

By the way, lovely use of detail in the script, it really has helped!

~ Art ofr Art's sake Ka
Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #27
Turin Turumbar

Silmaril

[QUOTE=Feamel]Four movies won't do, The Silmarillion just won't pull in audencieces like LOTR, nobody outside of book fans really care, sad but true.

In all practicality, I agree. Although the thought of being able to see the Silm* happen makes me just as giddy as any of you, it would either take several feature length films with huge budgets, or some sort of mini series, which is out of the question. A series would not allow enough time for such special effects that would be needed, and would turn into a disaster of the kind the BBC made of the Chronicles of Narnia.

It would also be hard to make transitions and things because of its history book type layout, spanning an entire age as well as numerous storylines, and characters out the yin yang.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #28
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I won't say it hasn't been tricky. Your last point in particular has been worrisome; where to break off one film and start another? We nearly ended up, for instance, missing the Fingolfin vs Morgoth duel, though I salvaged it in a flashback in Lay of Luthien.

But I think it's going ahead pretty well, actually. Though of course we're only a mile or so down the John O'Groats road, and that's why we'd appreciate your help...

The site is down for a wee bit at the moment, being updated by the server.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #29
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i have joined the board, and i would like to say for myself, i am an actor and would love to be apart of it
Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #30
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
I guess the story of the Silm. would be too complex for the average "Legolas/Viggo-fan". And one movie would have to last like 240 minutes to explain the plot.
And if PJ would be the director, he would definitely screw the whole thing up.
Like Elrond dying dramatically in front of Angmar like Haldir in TTT (oops, he came up in LotR, well anyway, the people won't notice ).

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #31
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Well, it looks like an incredibly interesting and cool idea. Expect me to join the boards in a few days when I have more time.

If I understand correctly, you're doing an animation. How hard would that be to do? Wouldn't you need many frames per second? That's a lot of artwork.

Anyway, when I join, I'd be glad to join in / aid scriptwriting in any way possible.

And a small note... I know you wouldn't do this wrong, I just know it, but... if there is any Quenya / Sindarin, make sure pronunciation is correct. I'll help there, if need be.

TGWBS
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #32
Gil-Galad

there isn't a lot of activity on that forum though...
Old 06-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #33
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I know. Don't worry-it isn't dead. When hS and I are in action, others often fly into life as well. I'm just having a rest for a holiday, (though I'm finishing off Luthien too) and hS is organising his script.

If you want to help, what would be great is if you could do some concept art and post scanned images of your pics. If you're more into acting, mike yourself acting a bit of the script for your part, and post the clip (or put it on the group inbox.)
Old 06-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #34
Gil-Galad

You do of course realize that not everyone has those abilities at their disposal...
Old 06-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #35
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Scanners and mikes? Yes, I do, as I'm one of those cavemen myself!

If you're entirely without scanning or recording tech, you could have a go at starting the Children of Hurin or War of Wrath scripts, or you could just read the Noldolante and Luthien scripts already up and comment, which is really useful as well.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #36
Mansun

The Eye

I want to see a film based on the making of the Ring of Power, the Rise of Sauron and his servants, the last alliance, and the fall of mordor all in a 3/4 hour film.

Anybody else agree?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #37
Gil-Galad

that might be interesting, but the Silmarillion first to get the stroy through...
Old 07-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #38
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Good luck to you people! It sounds like an amazingly big task. I've always hoped for a movie to be made about the Silmarillion, or at least one of its stories. Good luck.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #39
Lúmen Rómello
Newly Deceased

Lúmen Rómello has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Interesting. Very interesting...

Well, I'm going to take a look at the board now, but if you need an amateur actor or an editor for the scripts (Mordor, I might even be able to write a draft if I just have to adapt the Professor's writing!), I'm your man.

Well, off to take a look. Mazel tov to you, though, regardless!

-LR
Lúmen Rómello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #40
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As much as I would love to see The Silmarillion on screen, I do not think it will ever happen. I think the same problems occur with the film, as with the book, it is too vast. If Christopher had not rushed it, then it would have been even bigger. There are many who think, much of Unfinished Tales should/could have been included within The Silmarillion. So that brings us to the film, try looking at The Silmarillion as a story instead of a book. There are things that occured in Tolkiens world, that do not appear in The Silmarillion, yet we having read other books know that they happened. It would be impossible to include all things, what would be left out, lesser characters?. Try thinking of any situations, that do not lead on to greater things, or influence future events, for instance:- if you left out Eol of Nan Elmoth, how would the destruction of Gondolin be achieved. The Lord of the Rings was easier to make than The Silmarillion would be, The Lord of the Rings basically was a start, a middle and an end, The Silmarillion has a beginning, lots of middle and really no end, other than Lotr. However in saying all this, I hope I am as wrong as the people who said LotR could not be done, and I would be one of the first in the queue to watch the results, for all Tolkiens world fills me still with joy and amazement, even 33yrs after first reading: In a hole...............

Last edited by narfforc; 07-11-2005 at 04:17 AM.