The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #2721
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
Sorry I didn't vote! Certain obstacles kept me away from the computer till now! Sorry!
Well, given that loosing a villager right now would be a clear disadvantage to the villagers (as there isn't MANY people left anymore) I couldn't really kill you for not voting (Gamewise). And also, given that some "obstacles" kept ME away from the computer, I'd be a great hipocryte if I did.

So it's all good, you are contributing to the game so I think that in spite of my earlier pronouncement that a non-vote would mean being kicked from the game, everyone will agree that you more than deserve to stay

That is, everyone but Azaelia who is the last remaining wolf.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #2722
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I know the game hasn't technically ended yet, but I can't resist:

Roa and Caran, I will have my revenge! Someday, someway... bwah ha ha ha! (Seriously, why did you have to kill me so early, whhhhhhhhyy? )

You know I've witnessed four werewolf games so far (played in three) and the village has won every one of them!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #2723
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Greetings one and all!

With the official close of Tol-in-Gaurhoth XX, recruitment for Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXI: Dueling Wizards begins. This game will not begin until Diamond's WWJ game has finished.

Kuruharan will be my sub-moderator for the good team.
Boromir88 will be my sub-moderator for the evil team.

I'm hoping for at least 20 players but I'm shooting for 30.

Each player will have a relationship as well as an occupation. This will make my writing of your deaths a little more interesting for me, and I hope for you.

Rules for Dueling Wizards Werewolf:

(These rules have been edited since they were originally posted: the edits are underlined and italicized, and replace the original text.)

There are two wizards, and no other gifted at the beginning of the game, which must have a minimum of 20 players, and an arbitrary maximum (first time) of 30. The two wizard roles are assigned from a list of volunteers who are willing to play the roles.

The two wizards don't know who each other are. One is evil, one is good.

Evil Wizard: each Night the evil wizard picks a villager to curse as a werewolf, or werebear (only one), or cobbler (only one). The new werewolf is immediately informed and the mod requests a kill choice, which the werewolf provides by the end of the 24 hours. On the first Night of the game, the Evil Wizard chooses three werewolves; thereafter s/he chooses one per Night.

The werewolves do not know each other's identity because while they are werewolves at Night, they cannot detect the identities underlying the curses. When there are multiple werewolves, and they make differing kill choices, the person with the most werewolf "votes" is killed. If there is a tie, the sub-mod for the evil wizard PMs back to each werewolf about the others' choices, and serves as a go-between until the werewolves have come to a majority choice.

Note: Werewolves do not PM each other and therefore cannot debate with each other; thus, they are not going to find out each others' identities. If in some odd circumstance, a werewolf gets the most votes for the werewolf kill, the evil wizard has the right to overrule the choice. If in some even odder circumstance, the werewolves choose the evil wizard as their kill, the evil wizard of course has the right to overrule their choice.

If the evil wizard chooses a gifted villager to curse, the gifted villager loses the gift but does not turn into a werewolf ... this time. The good wizard is informed of the loss of the gifting.

If the evil wizard picks the good wizard at Night, he is informed that he has discovered the good wizard, and has the option from then on to call out the good wizard to battle during any Day.

The evil wizard may choose to inform one or more werewolves who one or more other werewolves are; but this is a risky option and should be used with great care, considering the possible consequences.

The evil wizard is allowed to lie to his were-creatures.

Good Wizard: each Night the good wizard picks a villager to scry.

1. If the good wizard scries the evil wizard, the good wizard is informed of that, and can call out the evil wizard to battle during any Day, which results in the death of both wizards.

2. If the good wizard scries a werewolf, the werewolf is turned back into an innocent by the good wizard's power.

3. If the good wizard finds an innocent, the good wizard has the option of turning that innocent into a gifted, the choices being seer, ranger, and hunter. If a gifted is de-gifted by the evil wizard's curse, the good wizard may assign that gift to another. If a gifted is killed, the gift may be assigned to another innocent.

The good wizard may choose to inform one or more gifteds who one or more of the gifteds are.

The gifteds know who the good wizard is; the good wizard may PM the gifteds during the Day, and the gifteds may PM the good wizard during the Day. They do not know who each other is unless the good wizard tells them. (why wouldn't the good wizard tell the gifteds who each other is?)

The good wizard is allowed to mis-inform and/or withhold information from his gifteds.

The evil wizard and werewolves win when the werewolves equal or exceed the number of innocents. The villagers and good wizard win when there is no evil wizard left, and no werewolves left.

There are no shirriffs.

If the good wizard and the evil wizard choose the same previously innocent villager on the same Night, the two wizards discover each other's identity by means of the contest. Since the evil wizard still wants a werewolf, the good wizard must choose whether to let the villager die as a casualty of the wrenching experience of the contest, or let the villager survive and become a werewolf..

Just to be perfectly clear: a wizard battle always results in the death of both wizards, and may only happen during the Day.

There is a vote for lynching every Day. If a wizard is voted to be lynched, he will be lynched but cannot die that way, and is thus forced to declare himself, and the opposing wizard can call him/her out for a wizard battle. The wizard cannot be killed by lynching; instead, nobody dies that Day.

If the evil wizard dies, the werewolves are informed of each other's identity, and revert from there on to traditional werewolf group dynamics. If a werebear has been created by the evil wizard, that player reverts to being on his or her own team.

Each Day and Night will be 24 hours; if such a time frame proves somehow unworkable, it may be changed (with notice of course!) during the game.

Current sign-up list:

1 Diamond18 ~ wife ~ Battledore Maker -- Made the wicker beaters used on clothes & carpets to beat out the dust.

2 Celuien ~ young eligible maiden ~ Healer and Cupper

3 Caranlondien ~ young eligible maiden ~ Sled-Team Driver

4 Roa Aoife ~ wife and mother ~ __________

5 Nogrod ~ gaffer ~ ___________

6 Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant ~ young eligible maiden ~ Baker

7 Kath ~ young eligible maiden ~ minstrel

8 Thinlómien ~ child ~ little girl who steals other children's candy

9 Lhunardawn ~ wife (no children) ~ jeweler

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-24-2006 at 08:49 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #2724
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'll play. This is going to be interesting. Really interesting. I shall be a young bachelor and will be the town carpenter.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #2725
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Ooooooooh, this is going to be fuuuuuun fun fun. I know I'm signed up already but I didn't even know the rules before so I had to comment.

One thing -- did I say I didn't want any children? I don't remember. At any rate, I'll leave it up to you to give me kids or not. I just noted that Roa and Lhuna had specific mentions about children and I didn't.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #2726
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That sounds awesome! Are we going with the traditonal village type roles?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #2727
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would like to sign up!!! I have started to read over the rules and this sounds like fun!!!! I am not sure what occupation to pick yet, but I will post one shortly.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #2728
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe Oh lovely!

You can count me in! I shall be a young introversive extroversive bachelor (think along the lines of Lennon) and as for occupation, I shall be a guitarist and song-writer, if it does you good.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #2729
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sounds quite interesting. I would like to sign up for this.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #2730
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
3. If the good wizard finds an innocent, the good wizard has the option of turning that innocent into a gifted, the choices being seer, ranger, and hunter. If a gifted is de-gifted by the evil wizard's curse, the good wizard may assign that gift to another. If a gifted is killed, the gift may no longer be assigned.
Can a gift be assigned to only one innocent at a time, or can the good wizard potentially make a village full of Seers?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #2731
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Can a gift be assigned to only one innocent at a time, or can the good wizard potentially make a village full of Seers?
I'm pretty sure what Elempi is trying to say is that, if the evil wizard de-gifts a gifted only then can the good wizard give that gift to anyone but if the gifted dies then the gift dies with him. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #2732
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Makes sense. I just wasn't sure if the option to transform applied every night (including after filling one in each of the gifted spots), or just until all three gifted spots were filled. If that makes sense.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #2733
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I'm thinking about signing up, but finals are coming up soon, so I really shouldn't. Put me on as tentative... if you can't get 20 without me (unlikely) then I'll play.

Also, since it's basically good wizard versus bad wizard, the Werebear is for all practical purposes no longer a wild card, but is actually on the wolves team.

I don't know, this game seems heavily favored towards the evil wizard. Especially since the good can only get three gifteds and the evil can have a comparatively unlimited amount.

Also, what should happen if the werewolves (or werebear) choose the good wizard?

Lastly, is there a 'list' for upcoming mods? I'm really wanting to mod one this summer, so I guess I should attach myself to the lineup.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #2734
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Lastly, is there a 'list' for upcoming mods? I'm really wanting to mod one this summer, so I guess I should attach myself to the lineup.
As would I, I'll mod the one after Gurthang.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #2735
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
As would I, I'll mod the one after Gurthang.
I'm not sure there is actually a list, and I'm certainly not saying I'm next after LMP. I'm thinking more mid June, actually. I just want to get my name out there in case a sudden onslaught of mods suddenly comes about. You'll probably get a game in before I do, Sleepy.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #2736
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I'm not sure there is actually a list, and I'm certainly not saying I'm next after LMP. I'm thinking more mid June, actually. I just want to get my name out there in case a sudden onslaught of mods suddenly comes about. You'll probably get a game in before I do, Sleepy.
As for me, if possible I'd prefer getting a game some time in May, if not then I doubt I can mod till mid-July.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #2737
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I think Kath is after LMP. But I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #2738
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Kath definitely is after LMP.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #2739
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
This looks awesome... I can't wait!
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #2740
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh, sign me up! I've been waiting for this - glad I didn't miss it or something!

I'll be a (rather tomboyish) young maiden, engaged to a stuffy, boring, but rich jerk I don't like (arranged marriage, obviously). I'll be an artist.

I should let everyone know up front though that I won't be here from the evening on May 5-noon May 7. Not sure how this would affect things.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #2741
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
I'll be a (rather tomboyish) young maiden, engaged to a stuffy, boring, but rich jerk I don't like (arranged marriage, obviously). I'll be an artist.
LOL. I think LMP was planning on making us players related to each other. So who wants to sign up to be a rich jerk?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #2742
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Count me in! This seems fun and chaotic.

As for a job, I'm either a retired old sea captain (widower?) or a young man-at-arms (bachelor). I haven't decided yet.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #2743
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
A lot of eligible young maidens...

Guys, go get 'em!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #2744
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Actually, I'll change what I want to be. I would like to be a child who has a giant crush on Kath.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #2745
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think I'll be simple in my role this game and be a weaver.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #2746
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
That sounds awesome! Are we going with the traditonal village type roles?
Yes. The setting is early Third Age, so all the technology and arts of the Elves have been passed on to the Numenoreans. This is far in the northwest of Third Age Middle Earth, and therefore rather far away from centers of civilization. However, prophecies have foretold of werewolvish evil, and so villagers from time to time have forayed out into the known world and collected tomes, scrolls, and books filled with lore; through these things the village has passed from being a mere fishing village on the edge of the Sea to a mildly renaissanced village with limited trade to the civilized world. So as to occupations, medieval.

Celuien, The good wizard can only have one seer, one ranger, and one hunter at a time.

Gurthang, I've done 5 dry runs of this game and the modifications I've just edited into the rules have shown to create a level playing field.

IMPORTANT: If you want to be one of the two wizards, please volunteer by sending me a PM. If you volunteer in public, you will NOT be considered.

1 Diamond ~ wife (no children) ~ Battledore Maker -- Made the wicker beaters used on clothes & carpets to beat out the dust.

2 Celuien ~ eligible young maiden ~ Healer and Cupper

3 Caranlondien ~ eligible young maiden ~ Sled-Team Driver

4 Roa Aoife ~ wife and mother ~ weaver

5 Nogrod ~ gaffer ~

6 Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant ~ eligible young maiden ~ Baker

7 Kath ~ eligible young maiden ~ minstrel

8 Thinlómien ~ child ~ little girl who steals other children's candy

9 Lhunardawen ~ wife (no children) ~ jeweler

10 Glirdan ~ child ~ with gaint crush on Kath (occupation aplenty!)

11 Valier ~ ~

12 Sleepy Ranger ~ ~ lutist & bard

13 Kitanna ~ ~

14 Firefoot ~ tomboyish young maiden (engaged to stuffy, boring, rich jerk ~ artist

15 Alcarillo ~ ~ old retired sea captain

Gurthang?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-24-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #2747
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
A lot of eligible young maidens...

Guys, go get 'em!
Yeah. And it looks like you, Roa, and I are going to be wives without husbands.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #2748
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Elempi: Lhunardawn, eh?

(That's almost an anagram! )
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #2749
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You know, they are a lot of wives and no husbands so far.... Are we all widows? Divorcees? Is this Massechussettes? (Please take no offense to my political humor)

Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #2750
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Lmp, I changed my mind on what I wanted to be. Check my post above.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #2751
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Lmp, I think you've forgotten me on your list! I've decided on being an old retired sea captain, married to one of the women of the village.

Now who wants to marry me?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #2752
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
You know, they are a lot of wives and no husbands so far.... Are we all widows? Divorcees? Is this Massechussettes? (Please take no offense to my political humor)
You have a point there. Lhuna and I are childless.

No offence but I hope some guys are brave enough to sign up for husbandry.

Edit: Alc, when I asked LMP earlier (in PMs) about it, he said he'd be making the decision about who was married to whom. So we are in his hands.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #2753
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Yeah. And it looks like you, Roa, and I are going to be wives without husbands.
Why else do you think I'm childless?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #2754
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think I have you all covered for now. Things happen fast!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #2755
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Quote:
Edit: Alc, when I asked LMP earlier (in PMs) about it, he said he'd be making the decision about who was married to whom. So we are in his hands.
Yikes!

Marry me off well, lmp!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #2756
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I would seriously pity the husband of one who has lost all her children in their infancy.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #2757
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ok I will be an eligible young maiden/ Gardener. I grow vegetables very well.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #2758
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Sign me up, if you will, Elempi.

I see you have many women (and definitely too many eligible ones) there already. Do with me whatever you wish. As for occupations - if I need any - I'd like to be a matchmaker.

Oh, and because Gurthang and Sleepy asked, I am modding the game after Kath and will definitely not give up my spot. I have been waiting to mod since Ang's game.

Last edited by Cailín; 04-25-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #2759
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I would like to be a child who has a giant crush on Kath.
Stalker

And yes I'm modding after lmp.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #2760
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe Oh my!

Quote:
You have a point there. Lhuna and I are childless.

No offence but I hope some guys are brave enough to sign up for husbandry.

Gasp! Diamond, marry me! Ahem, I mean I'd prefer being a recluse but *shrug* ok, feel free to have me married to anyone you want Elempi.

I've decided to change my career. I shall be a 'Wanderer from the days of old, now settled (and married if applicable) in this village.'

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 04-25-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote