Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

With Cami's first sight of Bilbo, all else was quickly forgotten. Her own worries dwindled as she gazed at her teacher's frail body and looked into his much loved, familiar eyes.

Despite the tiredness in his face, Bilbo leaned over to her and laughed, "Well, Cami, you might have arranged to meet us at the front door! But if I recall correctly, you always had a penchant for doing things differently than anyone else."

Cami blushed red to the soles of her feet. There was indeed a wealth of truth behind these words, but she would not dwell on this now. "I'm so sorry. But I had no control over the transportation here." Cami wondered if Lorien was the one in charge of that, but she could not ask him, since he seemed to have temporarily disappeared.

She turned back to the hobbits, with a smile of relief. "I'm only glad to see you made it safely here." Cami gave Bilbo a welcoming hug, and extended her hand towards Frodo in greeting.

"But wait, I've forgotten my manners. I want you both to meet a close friend of mine." She placed her hand on Pio's arm and gently guided her forward to stand in front of the two hobbits. "This is Piosenniel the Elf. I met her in Minas Anor, and we sailed together aboard the Star to come to the assistance of some imprisoned hobbits."

Bilbo looked up at her, admiration clearly reflected in his eyes, "Gandalf has told us a good deal about the Star and everything that happened. Pio, Frodo and I owe you a debt, both for how you helped the hobbits, and protected Cami so that she came to no harm."

Before Pio could reply, Bilbo leaned heavily against Frodo's shoulder, and seemed to waiver slightly, as if the strains of the trip and the billowing clouds of dust had finally taken their toll. They made their way back to the steps with some difficulty. Piosenniel and Frodo supported the older hobbit to get him safely down the steep staircase. Cami ran ahead to the two adjoining rooms which had been freshened up for their stay. Pio had even made sure that a fresh change of clothes was hung inside each of the wardrobes for the hobbits.

When they reached the chambers, Frodo looked at Bilbo's slumping figure, concern clearly written over the younger hobbit's face. "Perhaps, you should rest in bed. I'll stay here and keep you company."

"Rest in bed? Pah! It has taken me over thirty years to get back to the Shire. I am certainly not going to spend my time in bed! I intend to feel the good soil of the Shire between my toes." At this, Bilbo vigorously thumped his walking stick against the floor and made a straight line for the door of the room, only to be halted by Frodo.

Cami tugged at Frodo's sleeve. "Perhaps this will help. There's a fine, large garden out back of the Inn. It's a warm, sunny day and we can have lunch served outside. Later tonight, we are planning a small dinner with a few of your friends. So both of you will probably want to relax for now. I'll make sure to keep most of the folk away for the next few hours to give you a chance to rest or talk or take a stroll in private."

Everyone agreed this would be a good plan. Bilbo made Cami promise that she'd take him for a long ride in the pony cart another afternoon so he could see all the sites that he most dearly missed. Then they went back down through the kitchen, since this was the shortest route to the back gardens.

As they walked past the oven and cooking fires, Frodo glanced quietly at the cooks and servers and delivery boys who were scurrying around to get everything ready for the evening. The look of the kitchen, the sweet smells of the food, brought back misty memories of a distant but much loved life and the many parties he and Bilbo had hosted at Bag-end.

So this was what Cami called a "small dinner with a few friends!" There were at least two dozen platters and plates and bowls, all filled to overflowing. If there had been any doubt in his mind that they were actually going to the Shire, it was now swept away with the familiar clutter of utensils and pans and dishes spread out before him. For the first time in over twelve years, Frodo Baggins had come home!

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]