The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question B.B., phone home!

I finally broke down and started carrying a cell (mobile) phone. Oh the joy... Though I work in a hi-tech field, I resisted getting a phone as I find them annoying and useless, having not had one for most of my life (here's a clue, plan ahead). People thought it odd when asking for my cell number, and I replied that I didn't have one.

(Yes, I know, some of you are already thinking that people may find me odd even *with* a cell phone. )

Anyway, I have tried to make use of the phone that I received as a gift from the kids (how could I say no?), just so I don't follow in other dinosaurs' footprints, and I will need to understand what the kids' are doing with theirs once they get them (and we never see them again as they stand around texting each other).

One feature I like, which seemed impossible when I was a lad, is the voice recognition technology. I just say, "Call my wife" and the phone dials 'my wife.' I've tried to make each contact somewhat distinct, so that I have to argue with the phone as little as possible as below:

"Call my brother."

"Did you say, 'Call my mother?"

"No."

"Did you say, 'Call my brother?"

"Yes."

"Mobile?"

"No."

"Home?"

"Yes."

"Calling my brother home."

"Finally..."

Anyway, I wanted to know if you use any Tolkien words in your contacts, or could suggest some so I could 'phone home' with something more distinctive than 'my house,' 'my home' or 'mi casa.'

"Call Bag End."