The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
Rekol

Sting What are thoes creatures pulling grond?

In the seige of osgiliat, When the Orcs are about to smash the gate open with Grond (the seige weapon) What are those creatures pulling it to the gate?. The looks like big Rinoes.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Welcome to the Downs, Rekol.

Since Tolkien never describes the creatures in the book, this thread should probably be moved to the Movies forum. Although the question has been raised there once already:

Are They Rhinos?

In that thread, I speculated that their design is based upon the prehistoric mammal, Arsinotherium (and there's a link to some pictures).

Hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
They explained the invention of the "great beasts" in one of the special features of the RotK EE. They did say that it was based on a prehistoric creature, could have been the Arsinotherium I can't remember.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since this is a movie question, I'm moving the thread to the Movies forum. Please continue to read and post there. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Olinoceruses. :P

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote