The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
Luinėcolloien
Animated Skeleton

Luinėcolloien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinėcolloien
Sting Men in Valinor?

I just had a very quick question, and I did a search for this. So, I didn't find this, but I very well could have missed it. So if I did, I'm sorry.

I know that a few hobbits crossed over the sea, and (possibly) a dwarf, and many Elves, but, did any Men enter Valinor? I know this is sort of a dumb question, but I was just wondering, and I wasn't quite sure where to find the answer. Thanks!

PS-Merry Christmas!
Luinėcolloien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, beren did, tuor probably did, and earendil did(well the deemed him of the elvish race buuut)....and maybe a few more?

and then theres the whole thing about men going to mandos when they died soooo (BoLT 1)
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:32 PM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I really don't understand some of these things at times.

When Ar-Pharazon steps onto Aman he and his band of merry men get earthed (albeit they have come as invaders).

It is said a lot in the Akallabeth that Men simply AREN'T allowed into Aman. So why is Tuor, etc.

Did the rules change after the First Age or what??
Old 12-25-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, considering Ar-Pharazon and his men were trying to destroy the Ainur and the Elves in Aman...I think the Valar had a good reason to bury them.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:52 PM   #5
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dūm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Technically all men end up in Valinor eventually, since after death their spirits travel to Mandos before leaving Arda forever. Beren only entered Valinor after death, but was exceptional in that he returned to Middle Earth afterwards.

In the Silmarillion occurs the following statement (in narrative voice):
Quote:
Then Eärendil, first of living Men, landed on the immortal shores
This statement is interesting and rather strange in two ways: firstly it calls Earendil a man rather than an elf - he was in fact exactly half man and half elf. Also, it names him the first living man to land on the shores of Valinor - but what about Tuor? Are we to believe that Tuor was still sailing around the seas at that time, or that he had stopped off in Tol Eressea, or are we to take the narrator's statement with a metaphorical pinch of salt? As far as I can see, it's left up to the reader.

As for men being allowed (alive) into Aman - Earendil was admitted to Valinor because he was a half-elf and because of the message he bore, and Tuor was a special exception, having had his fate changed by Eru to that of the elves. Possibly this was because of Tuor's faithful service to Ulmo, and the fact that he had lived with the elves all his life and had married Idril, an elf.

Leaving Elfwine, in his many forms, aside, the only other mortals admitted to the Undying Lands were the Ringbearers and Gimli - again exceptions, and even they only went to Tol Eressea rather than to Valinor itself.

There are plenty of threads in The Books discussing all these things in much greater depth, just waiting to be dug up.