The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #1
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Question A Question

I'm writing a Fan Fiction story about a lost Numenorean colony in the far South of the Southern continent. I need a name for the main city and some names for the outlying towns. Names like Minas Tirith, Dol Almoroth ect.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:54 PM   #2
Ucenite

Sting

A tip is to use sindarin or quenya to construct names with real meanings.
Here are some geographical terms(in sindarin)

dôr (dor) "land", gardh "realm, a more or less bounded or defined place, a region" (so in WJ:402; the Etymologies has ardh), sad "place, spot", rain "border", parth "field", pel "fenced field" (pl. peli), orod "mountain" (pl. ered or eryd), till and rass "horn", amon "hill" (pl. emyn), tunn "hill, mound", dol or dôl "hill, head", penn "declivity", ambenn "uphill", dadbenn "downhill", talad "an incline, slope", cîl "cleft", ris or ress "ravine", iau "ravine, cleft, gulf" (this word also means "corn", see above), talf "flat field", nan "valley" (but nann "wide grassland"), tum "deep valley, under or among hills", athrad "ford, crossing", eryn "wood", taur "huge forest", men "road", ael "pool, lake" (pl. aelin), lîn "pool", eithel "spring, issue of water", habad "shore", sîr "river" (in some names also duin: Anduin, Baranduin, Esgalduin), hûb or hobas "haven" (also cirban), gaear (or gaer) "sea", toll "island". Directions: Forod "North", Harad "South", Annûn "West", Amrûn "East". For "East" and "West", the words rhûn and dûn are also used (cf. Dúnedain "Westmen").

Use an sindarin dictionary to find whatever word you my need to construct your own names, meening whatever you want.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wow! Am I ever glad I stumbled onto this thread! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm going to construct a dream town for "Location" in my profile. This could be fun... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote