The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Death of Crystal Heart

It is with great sadness that I pass along this notice, which was posted this afternoon in a Shire game that Crystal was playing in.

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

The original Crystal Heart died today at approximately 12:10 a.m. Pacific Time due to complications from her diabetes. As her sister, I am writing to tell you all that she loved the RPGs on this website and spoke about them often. Especially this one as of late. I regret that I must inform you all of this horrible event. Our family is still in shock and ask you all for your prayers in the weeks and months to follow.

Sincerely,
Melissa
Crystal was a very active writer in the Shire. She joined the Barrowdowns just over a year ago. During that year, she played in Legacy of Traitors and was founder of the game Seekers of Truth. She posted to her current Shire game, Sailing Away, just a few days ago. I was involved with Crystal in two of these games and always appreciated her enthusiasm and dedication.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. She will certainly be missed.

If there are any others who wish to add their thoughts on this thread, please feel free to do so.

Child of the 7th Age, Shire Moderator
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
From Crystal's first post to The Green Dragon Inn . . .

Quote:
Crystal Heart entered the Inn, hoping for a nice warm drink. Lately the winds had been too cold for her liking and brought memories of darker times in her past that she had been trying to forget. She entered and looked around, her heart fluttering wildly. She knew it was silly to still look for a face that had long since passed on, but she still looked . . .

Raising a pint in her honor -

♥ Here's to you Crystal Heart ♥

~*~ Pio
Old 02-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil." ~John Taylor

Our prayers go out to you Crystal Heart, where ever you are.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Non omnis moriar.
I shall not altogether die.
~Horace (65-8BC)

No more shall she in death die,
Than any living shall forget.
For while we live and pause to cry,
While memories with smiles still are met,
For so long shall we never part
with you, in spirit, Crystal Heart.

My sorrows to you who have lost a friend, and more so to her family. Though I knew her not I shall add my prayers to yours, I can do no more and would do no less.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I am so sorry....

Old 02-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

It has always been my hope that Tolkien has been busy thinking up new tales for us now that he has a bit more free time. Now I will image Crystal Heart sitting beside him, the first among us to enjoy their beauty.

My heart goes out to all of you who are friends and family. May God give you strength, and bring to you those in whom you might find comfort.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
I never knew Crystal Heart, nor visited the RPG section often, yet I find tears still flowing down my face.

Fair Winds and Following Seas to her ship; and may flowers upon her grave never fade or wilt.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I had the pleasure of playing with Crystal in two RPG's. Both times I have admired her enthusiasm, dedication, and cooperation. She was a very fun person, and I will miss her greatly.

May you have peace, Crystal.

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."
Old 02-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

That's a terrible shock, and a terrible loss - Crystal was a truly excellent RPG player as well as being a really lovely person through PM and discussion threads. Our characters were quite closely assosiated in one game, Legacy of Traitors, and I was priveleged, therefore, to have quite close relations with Crystal during that time. I am proud to have played with her, and have great respect for her, and that respect still stands - she will always be remembered by everyone who played with her, I'm sure, and the Shire and Elvenhome are testimony to her excellent posts and lovely nature.

Quote:
Crystal was bound and determined to teach each and everyone in this company that she was far more then just a woman. She was a fighter, a traveller, a challenger, a danger. She wanted them to know that Crystal Auror Heart was far more then they ever could predict. She was far more then anything they had ever encountered and would ever encounter again. She wanted each and everyone of them to walk away from this quest knowing that making allies with the likes of her was ensuring an ally with an army. She wanted to prove that she was better, quicker, and smarter then any man.
- Taken from post 81 in 'Legacy of Traitors' (Elvenhome)

She was describing her character here, but...

I am so, so sorry
Old 02-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
It must needs be said

I did not ever interact with Crystal Heart directly, although I was of course aware of her lively presence at the Downs -- in particular at the Green Dragon Inn where we both began our RPing at roughly the same time last year.

I post here then not to commemorate her, but to commend all of you who made her experiences at the Barrow Downs so meaningful a part of her life that she clearly made a careful and conscious effort to have her farewells made on her behalf. Her gesture does honour to you all, and is a blessing to the spirit of this unique community.

And reading what you've said about her, I deeply regret not having met with her myself.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #11
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
I played in the last (and maybe the first) game that Crystal owned, "Seekers of the Truth." She was very passionate throughout the game, and did a great job leading us to a successful end. I am deeply saddened to hear of her departure; she seemed to love the Downs so...

--Himaran
Old 02-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I've only had the honor of Role Playing with Crystal once. She was a bright lady with a good sense of humor (I won't forget the laughs in the New Member's welcome thread).
Old 02-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
It's nice though, isn't it, that the records, memories, intelligence and imagination of her are always right here, where anyone can view. It's a nice way to be remembered, I think. Something so small as a game will hold her memory forever.

God Bless.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Closed Thread