The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
willkill4food
Animated Skeleton

willkill4food has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to willkill4food Send a message via AIM to willkill4food
LotR Projects and Ideas...

I dont know if anyone else out there is like me, but when Im bored and start reading the Silmarillion or LotR for the bizillionith time, I get ideas of things I would like to do, does anyone else get that too? Anyways, I just did this thread to see if anyone else is as crazy as me...so here are the things I am thinking of...

Monopoly - Hobbit Edition - I have been studying the map of the Shire in LotR, and I am making a Monopoly version of it...I dont know if there is a LotR Monopoly out yet...but if not...I think my idea is pretty cool...

Fifth Battle Quiz - I have been trying to write a quiz for the Barrow Downs about the fifth battle...which is harder than one would think...the questions arnt that hard...but trying to find 3 wrong answers that sound like they could possible be right is hard...

The Full Family Tree - After studying the family Trees at the back of the Sil and the lists of kings of Numenor, Gondor, Arnor and Rohan I realized that you could make one giant family tree with the ancestors of Elwing and Earendil all the way down to Aragorn and Faramir...so I am trying to do that...

The Lay of Luthien - I am not much of a poet, but I really wanted to read the full Lay of Luthien as only 2 parts of it are in the Sil (are there any more parts in HoME?) and I guessed that Tolkien did not actually write all of it, just those two parts in the Sil, so I decided to try to write the full Lay of Luthien with everything that happens in the chapter "Of Beren and Luthien" in the Sil (Is there any more info in the Sil?)

Any things you are working on? Or am I just a sad and pathetic person?

-willkill

PS...Just when I have a bunch of stuff to discuss about the movies...the movie forums go down...I think Eru is out to get me..
Old 02-15-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Quote:
I don’t know if there is a LotR Monopoly out yet
There is, but it is movie based, and pretty cool

Gosh you are an ambitious person!
I wish you the greatest of luck in all your endeavors

I would love to see that complete family tree

I always get inspired to do things that I would have never thought of doing after I read LOTR, but not in the way that you talk about. I know that there are things in the book that are not complete, and things that I would love to learn more about, but I don’t try to fix it, though it is an interesting idea. The way it makes me do things is that even though it is a work of fantasy I am kind of like "Well if these beings can do all these things, I should be able to reach my goals". Even though in some ways they had magical help.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:01 AM   #3
Em
Pile O'Bones

Em has just left Hobbiton.
Yo!
Quote:
Or am i just a sad and pathetic person?
No you are not. Either that or we both are! In english once we had to do a project. i did 'the lord of the rings fan club costume party!' now hows that for sad!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 PM   #4
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I don’t know if there is a LotR Monopoly out yet
Quote:
There is, but it is movie based, and pretty cool
Actually I got the LotR Monopoly Game for Valentines Day an it is both Movie based and Book Based. It has also got few good twists to it. I love it!! I have played it twice in the last two days. I think I am obsessed with LotR so I guessthis is not exactly surprising.

I don't think you are crazy I have actually tried making up a Melody to go with some of the songs in the books. My neighbor has already made up a really cool one with a song called "The last March of the Ents" . It goes with the song they sing and has a bit of a marching in the Bass part. It is so AWSOME!

I have also tried Drawing a few pictures to go along with my favorite scenes.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Lay of Leithian

willkill, Tolkien did write the Lay about Lúthien - it's called The Lay of Leithian and can be found in Volume 3 of The History of Middle-earth, The Lays of Beleriand. Enjoy reading it - it may inspire you to continue the story, since Tolkien never completed it.

This thread is an interesting discussion, but not really concerning the books, so I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Eh, I would be very much interested to write a book on "History of Middle Earth: Genetic Experiments in the First Age" featuring notes by our esteemed Bio-engineer Melkor, and his top assistant Sauron, so credited for the break-through in developing the sun-resistent Olog-hai. Other famous Biologist should include Saruman of the Many Colors, whose Uruk-hai is a wonder of the Third Age...
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
I went through this phase where I was working on a Tolkien Companion book, with everything about Middle-earth in it. I came up with a much more detailed Tale of Years, a bit about the Languages, Characters, Battles, and Genealogies. I'm debating whether to take it up again, and actually see if I can get it published. After all, there are tons of Tolkien Companion books out there.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #8
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
The Full Family Tree - After studying the family Trees at the back of the Sil and the lists of kings of Numenor, Gondor, Arnor and Rohan I realized that you could make one giant family tree with the ancestors of Elwing and Earendil all the way down to Aragorn and Faramir...so I am trying to do that...
I actually did this about a year ago. It was before I read the Silmarillion, I think, but I had the book and I was looking through it for Elvish names and their meanings. When I found the family trees, I began to study them immensely hard and long.

I spent the next few days writing the names on paper and trying to piece the pages together. I found that certain families appeared about 3 or 4 times throughout the family tree. It's amazing the information I found when I was doing this. I now have the complete family tree stretched out over about 4 pieces of notebook paper, and I am still trying to figure out how to do a proper display of it on the computer.

It's very interesting though, and I have found myself doing many project relating to LOTR. I don't know how many colloges I've done with pictures, and I once printed out a huge map of the 3rd age of ME and traced a line showing Frodo and Sam's travels from Hobbiton to Mount Doom. I have the map hanging on my wall.

But no, you are definitly not the only one who does things like this. Or maybe I'm just sad and pathetic as well, who know, who cares, but you're not alone, willkill.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
I'm thinking about using a bunch of huge pieces of posterboard to make a big family tree, along with a little picture of each name, at least for the main characters. The Internet does have many pictures out there.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:23 AM   #10
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I am actually keeping a scrapbook which is going to be filled with picures news articles and quotes. I am also planning to buy a very cheap version of LOTR and then i want to highlight my favourite parts and write comments on them

I actually also made tune for A Elbereth Gilthoniel. It isn't very good but I have fun singing it.
Untill my brother opens the door and asks me what that awful noise was.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:35 AM   #11
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
I'm currently doing a family tree on the computer, and I have a question: Did Tolkien ever write out the line from Silmarien to Amandil? LotR Appendix A only says there is a line of descent, but I'd rather a line of names than to just make Valandil (Silmarien's son) the father of Amandil. (afaik, the program I'm using won't let one just say that Bob is Bill's ancestor: there has to be actual people in between.) Anything in HoME?
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
When I read the LotR, I always want to go out and see unknown lands and unseen vistas

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I must admit I have involved myself in a number of extreme project pastimes in times of boredom. Let me see if I can recount them all...

~~~~~wavy flashback~~~~~~

First, there was the Battle Strategy Analysis Mini-Documentary. That was interesting, to say the least. I was always fascinated studying various wars and famous battles, analyzing and planning out their strategies to the letter. I decided to the same with some battles of the War of the Ring and ended up giving running commentary of a reenaction of the Battle of Helm's Deep by a bunch of tiny figurines who I pushed around on a large table. It's funner than it sounds.

Second, the Middle-Earth Bestiary. I actually am very prideful of this particular project; an illustrated bestiary, just as the title says. It contained (at least I think) every living being, plant or animal, on the face of Arda that has even been heard of. I even added them in the appropriate sections of their kingdoms, classes, and genii.

Third, and finally, the clay sculpture of the Hornbrurg and Deping Wall. I suppose it was pretty good if I do say so myself. It was certainly accurate to Tolkein's description. The only thing that displeased me was that the Hornburg itself was slanted at a physically impossible angle.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:09 AM   #14
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

wk4f, I searched around a bit, and I found some info on family trees:
  • on this site you'll find info on the Finwë clan, with some family trees
  • this site provides 15 pages of family trees of Men (you'll need Adobe Reader)
  • here you should be able to find a big Family Tree, but the site seems (temporarily?) down

As for "strange" things I'm doing: see the link in my sig: I'm currently translating the LotR to Latin

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Hm....I haven't done and y LOTR projects myself, but a friend of mine had me send her pictures of myself (with my fairly new Sting) in my hobbit costume for a school project. She says she was supposed to make an "environment", and that she chose the Shire/Hobbiton. Not sure how exactly it will turn out, but she said she will send me a copy.

Another young lady I know who is a member of two of the Yahoo! groups I host (one LOTR and one Teddy Bear collecting), makes bears, and said she would like to try making bears based on the Hobbits. (I told her, of course, that I want a "Sam".) Come to think of it, I have to see if she ever got around to that project...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote