The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2003, 11:41 PM   #121
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

You've got it.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:32 AM   #122
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
'It was like discovering a wine-cellar filled with bottles of amazing wine of a kind and flavor never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me.'
What is Tolkien talking about?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:36 AM   #123
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

He was talking about the Finnish language, which he taught himself in order to read the Kalevala.

(Either that or the Kalevala itself - it's not entirely clear from the reference that I found. But I think that it's the language.)

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 11-17-2003, 04:42 AM   #124
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

It took you 4 full minutes to figure it out???
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #125
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

1420!

Yes, I was quicker with the Google button this time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

OK, an easy one I am afraid, but here we go nevertheless.

What was the alternative name for the Inklings' watering hole?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #126
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The 'Eagle and Child' is also known as 'Bird and Baby', which I find particularly funny!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #127
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Yes, it tickled me too Esty. You are, of course correct. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I saw in the paper recently that it was up for sale. I was sorely tempted to change my name to Barliman Butterbur and put in an offer. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 06:12 AM   #128
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Tolkien liked good plain English food. Which cooking did he detest?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 AM   #129
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

French cuisine!
Old 11-21-2003, 06:51 AM   #130
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

French cooking.

Ai ai, too late!
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 21, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]
Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 AM   #131
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Both are correct, and Telchar was first - your turn!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #132
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

During the time of our life we all meet women, some beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful - others charming, anmusing .... I could go on and on. Our dear professor once got in contact with a woman which he refered to with these words:
Quote:
Why is such a woman let loose? I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse.
Who was he talking about?
Old 11-27-2003, 01:25 PM   #133
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I've been hunting for this one but haven't found it so far. Will you give us a clue, maybe which year or at least decade or something similarly helpful?
Old 11-27-2003, 05:10 PM   #134
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

I'll hint you Esty [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hint: US publication of the Hobbit (Paperback)
Old 11-27-2003, 07:35 PM   #135
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Christopher Tolkien and Humphrey Carpenter have tastefully blanked out the woman's name in my edition of the Letters. She was a representative of Ballantine Books, with whom he had a telephone conversation regarding the cover design for their paperback edition. I think his comments are amusing enough to be worth quoting in full:
Quote:
Mrs. ____ [a representative of the paperback publishers] did not find time to visit me. She rang me up. I had a longish conversation; but she seemed to me impermeable. I should judge that all she wanted was that I should recant, be a good boy and react favourably. When I made the above points again, her voice rose several tones and she cried: 'But the man hadn't TIME to read the book!' (As if that settled it. A few minutes' conversation with the 'man', and a glance at the American edition's pictures should have been sufficient.) With regard to the pink bulbs she said as if to one of complete obtusity: 'they are meant to suggest a Christmas Tree'. Why is such a woman let loose? I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse.
[ 8:40 PM November 27, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 11-28-2003, 01:40 AM   #136
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

Quote:
I think his comments are amusing enough to be worth quoting in full
They sure are Squatter...

And yes, her name is not known - please go on...
Old 11-28-2003, 09:08 PM   #137
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

Right you are.

What was unusual about a copy of The Fifth Book of Thucydides belonging to Zillah Sherring?
Old 11-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #138
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

Zillah Sherring bought the book at a second hand book store. Along with alot of different inscriptions Zillah found Tolkiens name, wrote him a letter (in 1965) - JRRT in return explained that the inscriptions were Gothic - or what he thought to be tohtic in 1910 when he bought the book.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #139
Spectre of Decay

1420!

Spot on.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #140
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

When did JRRT begin writing LOTR? (Be as precise as you can, please)
Old 12-04-2003, 07:38 AM   #141
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He began writing 66 years ago this month, in December 1937. On the 19th, he wrote to one of the editorial staff at Allen & Unwin:
Quote:
I have written the first chapter of a new story about Hobbits - "A long expected party".
That chapter was very likely written sometime in the three days preceding that date.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #142
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

Quote:
That chapter was very likely written sometime in the three days preceding that date.
Very good Estelyn! the 'three days preciding' is because in a letter from december 16 he claims that he hasn't started writing a sequal to The Hobbit.

You can continue [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #143
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Of whom did Tolkien say,
Quote:
He was for long my only audience.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:12 AM   #144
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

He was referring to CS Lewis.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:29 AM   #145
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's right, Mariska! I don't think we Tolkien fans realize quite how much we owe to Lewis - the whole passage reads:
Quote:
The unpayable debt that I owe to him was not "influence" as it is ordinarily understood, but sheer encouragement. He was for long my only audience. Only from him did I ever get the idea that my "stuff" could be more than a private hobby.
Your turn now...
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 AM   #146
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
"We liked one another and enjoyed talking mostly in jest but we had nothing to say to one another at deeper or higher levels"
Who is the professor talking about?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 AM   #147
Lisa Arden

Question

C.S.Lewia? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2003, 08:02 AM   #148
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

No, that's not the one I'm looking for... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 04:35 AM   #149
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

C.S. Williams, a writer, and friend of C.S. Lewis
Old 12-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #150
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

That's right.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #151
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

What did, according to the professor, provide a most admirable plea in defence of singing in one's bath?
Old 12-13-2003, 09:43 AM   #152
Spectre of Decay

1420!

An extract from the Old-English Exeter Book Gnomics that Christopher Tolkien had quoted in the letter to which he was replying. Sadly, my edition of the letters doesn't give the line, although perhaps it would suggest itself to one better read in medieval manuscripts. This little gem can be found in Letter #90 (24th November, 1944).
Old 12-13-2003, 07:35 PM   #153
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Sting

YEP!
Old 12-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #154
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Tavrobel and Kortirion in The Book of Lost Tales were both places that played a part in Tolkien's life. What are their real names, where are they and why was Tavrobel in particular significant to Tolkien?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:45 AM December 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 01-02-2004, 05:39 AM   #155
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

It’s high time to answer this question – nice to have more leisure for the enjoyable details after the holidays! I will give the quotes from BoLT, taken from Christopher Tolkien’s comments on The Cottage of Lost Play:
Quote:
Kortirion … would become in after days Warwick (and the elements Kor- and War- were etymologically connected);
…Tavrobel … would afterwards be the Staffordshire village of Great Haywood.

From 1913 until her [Edith Bratt’s] marriage in March 1916 she lived in Warwick and my father visited her there from Oxford; after their marriage she lived for a while at Great Haywood (east of Stafford), since it was near the camp where my father was stationed, and after his return from France he was at Great Haywood in the winter of 1916-17.
…the fair copy of The Cottage of Lost Play (and quite possibly the original composition of it) was actually done there.
I can’t help but think that those must have been special times of his life and places that meant a lot to him to have him memorialise them in his mythology!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #156
Spectre of Decay

1420!

Exactly. Well quoted, Esty.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:13 AM   #157
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

We all know, I presume, that Tolkien was born in South Africa, though he had few memories of his time there. Later in his life, there was another connection to that country. What was it?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #158
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Christopher Tolkien was stationed in South Africa with the R.A.F during the war, notably at Kroonstad and Standerton.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #159
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Righto, Squatter, and that's how chapters of the LotR in progress made their way to the land of JRRT's birth! Please continue...
Old 01-11-2004, 02:47 PM   #160
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Then continue I shall, hopefully without causing another hiatus.

What is the "insubstantial dream of an escapist"?