The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #41
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Well, isn't it quiet. A little too quiet if I may say so.

I must say that I agree with malka on the fact that Wayne and Gil are being a kind of nuissance, but I don't think we should lynch them just because. And since you said that malka, it makes me think that perhaps you might be hiding a little furry secret. You saying that makes you seem anxious to be rid of two possible (more than likely they are) innocents. Care to explain yourself?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #42
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Since no one knows anyone on day one. (Except the lousy wolves, of course. They have already had a midnight snack together--Meneltarmacil) I decided to examine each villagers chosen role/occupation. It is rather useless and filled with conjecture but it should stimulate conversation. Please don't take it personally, remember I have no social skills. As for the people I seem to say are innocent, that too is fleeting. You probably just chose a normal, respectable trade.
mormegil- Elven smith... Smiths are a welcome commodity although you have always seemed more orcish than elvish.
Garin- Truffle hunter with a half a dozen pigs and no social manners. I bring you the black diamonds that taste so delicious, plus I carry a silver-headed staff with which to discipline my pigs and also brain werewolves.
Nilpaurion Felagund- Escaped thrall from Tol-in-Gaurhoth. I suppose we can trust the post- enslaved for now.
dancing spawn of ungoliant- Florist. I like flowers, and Spawn gives us them. Fine, for now.
The Saucepan Man- Earnest and learned young man of the law. I care not for advocates of the law but it is a noble profession, if you like noble professions. I don't.
Aiwendil- Old woodwright. Wood is good. Feel safe from my vote for now.
AbercrombieOfRohan- Mysterious lady who lives in the depths of the forest. Mysterious is not a welcome commodity in these lands, why the mystery and what are you hiding?
Shelob- Someone who recently washed ashore. Washed ashore at the same time werewolves arrive. Quite the coincidence, no?
malkatoj- Retired Miracle Man (who is not really a man) I don't believe in miracles, maybe you hope they will save your lycan behind.
Gil-Galad- Shape-Analyst. We are about to stone you, what do you think of these rocks? Oblong maybe?
Glirdan- Crazy guy down the street. Crazy is always a perfect cover for the furry, just admit it.
Márcolië Lamen- Second official 8th day adventist Pastafarian. I researched your role. It instantly puts you in cahoots with Abercrombie. Her Avatar reflects your beliefs. Is this some wolfish cult? EDIT: Aber apparently changed her image. So,never mind.
Formendacil- Village historian. Oh good, every town needs a boring guy. I am fine for now and will ignore your allegations.
Cailín- Deluded girl who believes she is a mermaid. Delusion is not something we need at this time. I enjoy mermaids as much as the next guy, but wanting to be part animal is quite suspect.
Kath- Local investigator into the paranormal. Chasing goblins instead of the rational world. Get in the real world please. I don't believe our village is about to be disemboweled by spirits. Though, I supposed the lycans are paranormal so perhaps you can prove useful
the guy who be short- Mermaid-catcher and fisherman. I was about to condemn you but you add fisherman to your occupation. This seems to make you less insane than others. I like fish, stick around wacko.
WaynetheGoblin- Town geek, wimp, and nerd. A true town geek would make our village rich and not on the brink of exctintion. What have you done for us lately?
Naria- Crazy old lady that thinks the marine life talks to her. Oh look! Another crazy person! Truly inspires suspicion. It could be a cover or maybe she is truly crazy.
Valier- Overly giggly coconut milker who only milks the coconuts while standing on her head. Well, that is just plain silly. I know little of the fruit you are milking and don't trust your odd habits. Would you prefer milk from your werewolf mama's teats?
I will hold my vote for later.
May the villagers win.

EDIT: fixed some italics and bolding

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"

Last edited by Garin; 02-04-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #43
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I find it interesting that Malka and Calin seem eager to kill Gil and Wayne. They seem like easy targets and won't arouse too much suspicion if killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Fifth. Morm's wish to be rid of all the lunatics, even though they be innocent, is rather unnerving. More innocents is better than more dead innocents and three Wolves still left. I will definetly watch you more carefully.
Nay, I'd rather have innocents that contribute to our society than a bunch of drains on society. Does this make me a wolf? No but it does make me somebody who wants to better our society, if you take my meaning. Some must die, and inevitably innocents as well. I'm thinking of the future of this village, what would you rather have around, a woodwright or some head standing coconut milker who giggles far too often? A high quality smith that makes great armor and weapons or a miracle man that's a woman who cannot perform miracles because she's 'retired'.

See my point?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #44
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well I must vote early today because I have a lovely batch of coconuts that need squeezing, this will take up my whole afternoon.(Giggle)

++Wayne

Well I just have to say I don't like wimps, or nerds or well most things besides lovely coconuts.(Giggle) The Goblin must go! (Giggle)
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #45
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Oh dear. Well, I'm afraid that I will not be able to get back on to vote at all today, so I must vote now.

I too am in favour of lynching those who tend towards being unknowns (Nilp, Gil and Wayne) for the longer we leave them alive, the longer we'll regret it. However, since there is already a vote cast for Wayne, I'll leave him alone for now. Gil's cries of his innocence have lead me to believe that he too is innocent. Best go with the one that has already provided "conclusive" evidence of his guilt:

++NILPAURION FELAGUND

I'm sorry if that's a random vote, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #46
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I find it interesting that Malka and Calin seem eager to kill Gil and Wayne. They seem like easy targets and won't arouse too much suspicion if killed.
That is exactly the reason why I would not like to kill them, Morm. Their deaths will tell us little and voting for any of them is not immediately suspicious. However, like you, I'm thinking what's in the interest of this village and I'm not going after someone just because he or she is not an easy target. If you are lynched toDay and found innocent, I'd be more annoyed with myself than if it is Wayne, even though that may sound rather harsh. Besides, you are able to provide us with far more evidence against you, so that's always good.

Quote:
Nay, I'd rather have innocents that contribute to our society than a bunch of drains on society. Does this make me a wolf? No but it does make me somebody who wants to better our society, if you take my meaning.
There's a word for that attitude.

--

We're still waiting to hear from Márcolië Lamen. (RL: I'll let you all know now I will be forced to vote within the next hour. Hey, it's Saturday night. Where do you think I'm heading?)

Last edited by Cailín; 02-04-2006 at 10:36 AM. Reason: cross-posted with AbercrombieofRohan.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #47
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well, we already have five votes.

Valier - 1 (Formendacil)
Formendacil - 1 (Wayne)
Nilpaurion - 2 (Nilp and Abercrombie)
Wayne - 1 (Valier)

Notice how Form voted Valier, Valier for Wayne and Wayne for Form? That seems highly suspicious to me. Do we have a possible trio here and they all let their hands sho early? Or is there maybe one or two Wolves hidden amongst that bunch? Or are all three innocent and caught in a web of doom? I highly doubt that all three are Wolves and out of all three, I find Form seems the least suspicious. What do you all have to say to this little bit of information?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #48
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
With a total of twenty villagers, three of whom are wolves, chances are good that at least one of those who has voted so far is a wolf.

I agree with Glirdan that the Wayne-Formendacil-Valier reciprocation is interesting, even if it does seem a clumsy move for a group of wolves.

With four people voted against already, I'm inclined to say that we should add, at most, only one or two more to the list. Then chances will be good that at least one wolf is among them, and people's voting records may begin to tell us something.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #49
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
As I said before, I will be forced to vote now... This will not come unexpected:

++WAYNETHEGOBLIN

I'm sorry if you are once again a misunderstood innocent, but you are the only one suspicious in my eyes right now. Your vote for Formendacil and your defensiveness doesn't sit right with me. Good luck, fellow villagers, and may you (and I) choose wisely.

Last edited by Cailín; 02-04-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Edit: Oh no! I'm a Shade of Carn Dum. And I wanted to be a silly little Wight forever!
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #50
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well now look at all those votes! I see what people are saying about a possible Wayne-Form-Valier trio, but that it seems a little too obvious. Mind you that could simply be a ploy to remove suspicion.

What I would suggest is not lynching Nilp. He is a suicidal maniac it's true, but rarely is he so when anything but an ordinary innocent. I'm not saying that those who voted for him already should be suspected because it's hard not to use such a gift as a suicidal voter when it provides such an easy vote.

Voting for Wayne is understandable, the reasons Cailin have given make sense. However, he has said more toDay than he does in 3 usually! And no matter what he is that's rare. So, perhaps keeping him alive a little longer might be an idea, just in case this increase in talking becomes more common.

Still, Wayne does say that he voted for Form because Form voted for Valier, which to me would suggest a link between Wayne and Valier rather than the three of them together. Loyalty among wolves perhaps?

At any rate, as per usual I'm suspicious of Sauce, but then anyone who tries to make themselves leader is a bad guy in my books. Aside from that, I'm not sure that looking at occupations is going to do us much good Garin, or avatars for that matter.

So I suppose Wayne, Valier and Sauce. But with very little reasoning and no sure feeling behind it either.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #51
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Valier

if for no other reason than the giggling and to get things moving a bit.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #52
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Alas, my investigations of the crime scene, like those of Aiwendil, have revealed nothing of use. I remain surprised, however, that no one noticed anything suspicious around the time of Menel’s death.

I am also disappointed that so many here have shown such contempt for the laws which protect us and such eagerness to join the baying mob. It seems that my entreaties have been to little avail and that the lynch mob will now prevail. With little evidence gathered, to speak of, the most likely outcome is the death of an innocent or, worse still, one of the gifted among us.

All that I can do, it seems, is to use what skills I have to try to identify Wolfish behaviour from what has been said already. And, in that respect, today’s conversations have been of some use. Here are my thoughts:

mormegil: Despite his contempt for the laws of men (which troubles me) talks sense, particularly concerning those who seem to be picking on the easy targets.
Garin: Is playing his cards close to his chest. Worrying, and doubly so given that it is out of character.
Nilpaurion Felagund: Is a deluded suicidal. Makes an easy target for a Wolfish vote as he provides the reasoning himself, yet is unlikely to be lynched.
dancing spawn of ungoliant: Records the days events, but offers little analysis herself. But talks sense when she says that there should be more to this than random votes and claims of bad health.
The Saucepan Man: Is doing his best to try and sort out this mess. Seemingly a thankless task.
Aiwendil: Rejects the teachings of the law and thereofe, by definition, lawless. Confuses Vampires and Werewolves. A possible liability on a Werewolf hunt, but probably no Wolf himself.
AbercrombieOfRohan: When asked for evidence against those she accuses, she claims that there is none yet then goes on to try to supply some. When pressed, she goes on the offensive, voicing suspicion of the one pressing her (me) and an easy target (Gil). Later clears Gil when she sees another opportunity for a possible safe vote (Nilp). Worrying in the extreme.
Shelob: Seems to have lost hope already. Such pessimism is understandable, though, given our current circumstances. And it speaks of her possible innocence.
malkatoj: Is definitely confused. She claims to be a miracle man, when all can see that she is an old crone. More worryingly, when pressed, she too has directed her suspicions towards easy targets (Gil and Wayne).
Gil-Galad: Is scared and confused, understandably so given that many seem to be lining him up for the gallows already. I believe him innocent.
Glirdan: Has come up with a few crackpot theories between bouts of making little sense. Most likely the Cobbler.
Márcolië Lamen: Has she spoken yet?
The Guy Who Be Short: Is suspiciously quiet.
Formendacil: Voted with nothing to go on. But he explained why he had to do so and, for now, I believe him.
Cailín: Despite her delusions, she is an astute lass. But she has unusually, so far, offered little insightful analysis, preferring to take the easy option of voting for Wayne (despite admitting that his death will tell us little). She’s becoming quite a concern to me.
Kath: Fell into my trap by questioning my claim to be above reproach, a claim so silly as not to warrant a response.
WaynetheGoblin: Is unpredictable and unnerves me.
Naria: Has said nothing to sway my thoughts, one way or the other.
Valier: Is making even less sense than Glirdan. Has voted for an easy target without providing any reasoning.

My main worries at the moment concern those who seem to be picking on easy targets - the ones for whom it is little trouble to provide reasoning (without much thought) because of the way that they are and for whom a vote will arouse little suspicion as and when they are lynched and turn out innocent. So far, I would place the following in that category:

AbercrombieofRohan, malkatoj, Cailín and Valier.

I am loathe to join this lynch mob and cast a vote today. Yet, in the face of such determined resistance to the laws of this land, I feel that I have little choice if I wish to do what I can to prevent the lynching of an innocent and, hopefully, catch a Wolf into the bargain. There is not as much evidence as I would wish, but I believe that there is at least one Wolf in the four that I have identified above. My vote will most likely be cast, albeit reluctantly, for one of them.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 02-04-2006 at 01:00 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #53
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I, TGWBS, hereby formally declare suspicion of the following: Wayne, SpM, mormegil, Gil, Abercrombie.

I shall now list them in order of suspicion, giving my reasons:

Wayne - Enough evidence has been produced against him already. His vote for Formendacil was vindictive - Formendacil stated his inability to return toDay. A vote for somebody with no chance to defend themself seems a little too safe. And then, we have his belief that Formy is the Cobbler. Why vote for the cobbler?

Finally, look at his reason for voting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I didnt vote for him for his early vote but for the person he voted for.
I voted for him because you never know what someone is going to be.
What's so special about Valier, that a vote for her calls for the voter's lynching?

Gil - Why so defensive, and why so confusing. What's with the links? At the moment, I'm thinking he could be our cobbler, as are many others. So, while he is high on my list of potential enemies to the village, I am reluctant to lynch him.

Abercrombie - WHY MUST YOU PEOPLE PERSIST IN PERSECUTING THE POOR NUTTER?

mormegil - It's just this comment that I'm uneasy about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
Nay, I'd rather have innocents that contribute to our society than a bunch of drains on society. Does this make me a wolf? No but it does make me somebody who wants to better our society, if you take my meaning. Some must die, and inevitably innocents as well. I'm thinking of the future of this village, what would you rather have around, a woodwright or some head standing coconut milker who giggles far too often?
This disregard for innocence is simply concerning. And why the vote for Valier? He seems to vote for her based entirely on the ideals of eugenics.

SpM - I agree with him in principle. Cases should be built and considered. But his insistance that he himself should be at the centre of the judicial process is cause for concern. If he is a wolf, then trusting him would be horrendously dangerous.

That's all for people I find guilty. As for innocence, I support:

Glirdan - This post is the most logical thing I've seen today.

Nilp - I'm not going to bother. It's obvious. Nilp is being himself. Expect my wrath to full upon ye, ye who vote for the mentally unstable.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #54
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well, there is only about three hours left to disscuss things. I'm torn between voting for Valier, Wayne and SpM.

Valier and Wayne I've already given my reasoning in this post:

Quote:
Well, we already have five votes.

Valier - 1 (Formendacil)
Formendacil - 1 (Wayne)
Nilpaurion - 2 (Nilp and Abercrombie)
Wayne - 1 (Valier)

Notice how Form voted Valier, Valier for Wayne and Wayne for Form? That seems highly suspicious to me. Do we have a possible trio here and they all let their hands sho early? Or is there maybe one or two Wolves hidden amongst that bunch? Or are all three innocent and caught in a web of doom? I highly doubt that all three are Wolves and out of all three, I find Form seems the least suspicious. What do you all have to say to this little bit of information?

As for SpM, there's something not right sitting for me with him, however, I will dismiss this for the time being. My vote will more than likely be for either Valier or Wayne.

Now to adress a few things before I decide on whom to vote for.

SpM:
Quote:
Glirdan: Has come up with a few crackpot theories between bouts of making little sense. Most likely the Cobbler.
What do you mean "crackpot theories" and "making little sense"? All I've seen from you so far is badgering us about the law system of Gondor. Care to explain? I'm not attempting to attack you. I'm just trying to get a bearing on what the uneasy feeling is that I have about you.

TGWBS. I'm glad that you think that was logical and I thank you profusely for it.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #55
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Leaf

I don't believe Márcolië Lamen has spoken as of yet. This makes me inclined to give Márcolië Lamen my vote, because non-participants offer nothing to the life of the village. However, sometimes this can't be helped and I hope everything is okay.
My post and Morm's idea to lynch the crazies was nearly a cross-post. Although...
Quote:
Nay, I'd rather have innocents that contribute to our society than a bunch of drains on society. Does this make me a wolf? No but it does make me somebody who wants to better our society, if you take my meaning. Some must die, and inevitably innocents as well.
I understand his intent because they mirror mine I just think that it is a scary idea when put in the context of the real world and could get him into trouble. I'm tempted to call Morm, 'Uncle Joe' (as in Stalin) for the rest of the game. I won't mention the most obvious name because it is disrespectful to the 6 million.
However, I am inclined to vote for the giggling kitten. I will vote in 40 minutes.
Known innocents? I bet Sauce is because he always is and ends up getting killed by wolves, because his experience plays a threat.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #56
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
What do you mean "crackpot theories" and "making little sense"?
Well I had to say something vaguely constructive about you.

But, if you must know, I had in mind the ridiculous notion that I was trying to flush out the Seer merely by calling for evidence, and also this Formendacil - Wayne - Valier triumvirate idea that you have come up with. I really don't see what sense there would be in the Wolves agreeing beforehand to vote for each other and then doing so early on, before seeing how things were going. Their votes are more likely to be the result of Day 1 randomness than of a Wolfish plan. Sure enough, one of them may well be a Wolf, or even two, but I don't see how this triumvirate idea points towards that.

Well, the time has come for me to cast my vote, as I must go and study before taking to my bed. If we must resort to this barbaric method of finding our cuplrits, I would prefer for the field to be as open as possible, particularly with so many votes still to come.

For her rather forceful reaction to my pressing her for evidence and for naming easy targets before going on to cast what I consider to be a "safe" vote (at least for today) for someone else, I will cast my vote for:

++ABERCROMBIEOFROHAN

though it pains me to participate in such a rudimentary judicial process.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #57
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Latest thoughts:

1) Concerning voting for Valier. I would like an explanation from mormegil and Garin. There are plenty of ideas floating around. Why vote for somebody based on their role?

2) SpM redeems himself a little in my eyes both with his vote, and his claim that his suggestion of putting himself about the law was "bait." Though bait for what, I don't know. Care to extrapolate?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #58
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
1) Concerning voting for Valier. I would like an explanation from mormegil and Garin. There are plenty of ideas floating around. Why vote for somebody based on their role?
This is as close as I can come to 'random' but slightly informed vote. Playing ones' role is admirable and adds color but can also be used as cover. I hope we lynch a wolf or the cobbler but that is obvious. Valier acts cute and silly but this could be her sheep's clothing.
I am going to flip a coin in 5 minutes and decide between Val and Aber.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #59
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quite frankly, Garin, that's a terrible reason. There are many people here playing roles, and to single Valier out - when she already has votes - seems a wolvish thing to do. Not to mention the fact that there are several logical theories floating about, meaning there's no reason to go on intuition or choose randomly.

As for myself, I will vote for

++ABERCROMBIEOFROHAN

I was suspicious before, but SpM's comments distilled that suspicion.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #60
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, those with votes so far are:

Valier
Formendacil
Nilpaurion
Wayne
Abercrombie

I think it would be wise not to add any more people to that list - this is enough that chances are slightly better than 50% that a wolf is one of those accused.

I, therefore, shall vote for one of them. I cannot really see much evidence pointing to any of them in particular, save perhaps for the few things SpM has noted about Abercrombie. I will hold off a bit longer, then, and make sure we aren't going to get into a double-lynch situation ere I vote.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #61
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Well, I am slightly inclined towards Abercrombie but the coin tells me to vote for Valier. If this turns out to be wrong you can lynch the coin.
++Valier

Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #62
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Yes there are plenty of ideas floating around one of which was mine. I am not voting for based on her role. Read more carefully what I write and I believe you will understand. Let me explain more openly. There are those who, if innocent, can contribute greatly to our village and its success in this and future endeavors. Coincidentally many of those are alligned with professions that are...well...actually professions and therefore I narrowed my search thusly. Valier hasn't spoken much and seems content to hide behind her giggling. Since there isn't much, if any, solid evidence today I figure we could remove somebody who milks coconuts and see what comes of it.

And SpM you said it yourself I hold in contempt the laws of men but I do answer to a higher law...the law of elves I am not under servitude nor owe alliegence to Gondor nor her laws. Though I have respect for your profession.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #63
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'm finally back, sorry it took so long, but I just couldn't decide whether to match the flower arrangement to Menel's light brown hair or his bloodstained body.

Now, there has been a lot of talk of Wayne, Gil and Valier. Perhaps we should agree on a policy, how to treat villagers who are confusing and don't contribute as much as we should like so we didn't have to go it through every time.
Maybe we should think what are the pros and cons of lynching one of them? Well, if they are wolves, it's quite obvious that it benefits us, but let's take a look at the option that they aren't.

Pros: We don't have to ponder their identities later and we can concentrate on people who have talked more i.e. left more clues. Also, as everybody probably knows, they are easy targets, so it should be interesting to analyze the voting next day, and see if people really had a reason to go against them or did they just go with the majority hoping they could blend in.

Cons: We lose an innocent vote.

If you have something else to add to the list, please share your thoughts.

Quote:
Well, I am slightly inclined towards Abercrombie but the coin tells me to vote for Valier
Ahem, are you a truffle hunter or a gambler? Just asking because I think it's a bit odd to decide whether someone will live or die by tossing a coin, especially if you're more inclined to vote the other one.

But what can we say about Abercrombie?

Well, many of seems to be in a rather light mood, cracking jokes and accusing each other with no reasons at all, but her actions are just a bit too weird for my liking. First she said that Formendacil's behaviour wasn't unusual, but then she randomly accuses him, Aiwendil and Gil demanding an explanation from them. However, after that she says that there is no evidence against them while pulling arguments "out of thin air". And then she says she doesn't really suspect Formendacil.
Umm, what!? Seems quite Cobblerish, but if Abercrombie were the Cobbler, I assume she'd be more subtle. But then again, you can never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombie
++NILPAURION FELAGUND

I'm sorry if that's a random vote, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do.
If your best is to vote for someone who said he won't be here during the rest of the Day and who is a safe vote because the odds are that he won't be lynched today, I'd like to know what is your worst. Besides, you said you didn't want to vote for Wayne because he already had one vote. Why did you then want to vote for Nilp although he, too, had one vote? Young lady, you really are confusing me!

To honest, I'm really unsure whom I should vote for and alas, I have to vote in a few minutes or then I can't vote at all.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #64
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Fair enough, mormegil. Though you could have been less mystic about it; we have people for that in this village, you know.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #65
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

For the record:

Valier - 3 (Formendacil, mormegil, Garin)
Formendacil - 1 (Wayne)
Nilpaurion - 2 (Nilp, Abercrombie)
Wayne - 2 (Valier, Cailin)
Abercrombie - 2 (SpM, TGWBS)
Old 02-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #66
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Okay, so the votes thus far are:

Formendacil -> Valier
Wayne -> Formendacil
Nilp -> Nilp
Valier -> Wayne (heh, an odd way to thank Wayne for "defending" her)
Abercrombie -> Nilp
Cailín -> Wayne
mormegil -> Valier
Saucy -> Abercrombie
TGWBS -> Abercrombie
Garin -> Valier

Well, I'll make a tie between Abercrombie and Valier. Let's see how others react to that.

++Abercrombie

Thank you, sorry and good-bye.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #67
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Gah, about an hour left to vote...well, I guess that's what I get for going to a bookstore...

As it stands I don't really see the votes for Valier (who, I believe, currently has the most votes). I find her giggling distracting and a little annoying, but beyond that there's no reason I can see for voting for her, and in itself that's no reason.

Abercrombie I can see a little more reasoning behind. Yet somehow I imagine that were she a wolf she'd act less like one. Especially when we don't really have anything on which to base an accusation or assumption.

For myself I'm disinclined to trust Garin, something about him isn't sitting right with me. Perhaps it's that he'd prefer to vote for one person, but votes for another on nothing but chance.

I'm rather loath to add another name to our list of those with votes against them. Then again, I'd rather not tie up the voting. I figure I'll review things then come back at least to vote.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #68
Aiwendil
Late Istar

I also do not understand why Valier has recieved so many votes.

At the moment it's tied 'twixt Valier and Abercrombie. I can't say I see much reason to think that either is a wolf, but then (it being early) I don't have much reason to think that anyone in particular is a wolf. As I indicated before, I am very slightly inclined to think Abercrombie more likely to be guilty. Therefore:

++AbercrombieofRohan
Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #69
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I'm really trying to figure out whom to vote for. There is enough evidence pointing towards Crombie. And then there's Valier, the posssible Wolf out of the three that have voted for each other earlier. However, SpM is still not sitting right with me. So as you see, I'm quite befuddled. I'll be back later in order to vote.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #70
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Aiwendil, why are you so concerned that we add no more people to list of those with votes? Yes there is a chance that one of the wolves is in there, but it is good to spread the votes rather than bandwagon, because the latter means that anyone who got involved in one is pretty much automatically suspected over the next few Days.

Ok, I have a while, let's do the boring bit:
morm:
Wonders if Gil is the Cobbler and is trying to make people concentrate on him so the wolves are ignored. (Fair point but Gil often complains about the fact that he dies early, I should say it was more of the same rather than any plan.)
Realises that Form is doing something similar, but decides he is innocent. (Odd because via the same reasoning he gets two different views.)
Changes view of Gil, now thinking him just a confusing innocent. (Sudden swerve there.)
Some suspicion of malka, though I suspect that was done in jest.
Suspicious of malka and Cailin for their desire to kill Gil or Wayne (the latter later refuted this claim) and then mentions that he would be for killing those innocents that don't contribute a great deal, which would include Wayne. (A bit contradictory as well as mistaken.)
Votes for Valier 'because of the giggling' and to stir things up. (Never mentioned her by name before but considers her useless to the village on basis of occupation.)
Later claims this is not based on role but rather because those with roles of a useful nature are more likely to be useful to the village. (Still seems based on role to me.)

Garin:
Did an analysis based on occupations. More suspected than given benefit of the doubt. (Whole post was pretty pointless as those were chosen before roles were given out).
Inclined to vote for Marcolie because she's not spoken yet.
Not keen on morm because his ideas are so bleak, yet admits his ideas are the same. (Very odd, contradictory and insulting.)
Feels that SpM is innocent 'because he always is'. (Dangerous reasoning.)
Thinks roles may be a good cover for wolvishness and will vote for Crombie or Valier, presumably based on theirs. (Again, occupations chosen before roles announced.)
Flipped a coin and voted for Valier, even though he wants to vote for Crombie.

Nilp:
Fake argument between 3 wolves followed by a vote for himself. (Usual tactics.)
Asks the village not to vote for spawn. (But we know why that is )

spawn:
Analyses everyone.
Looks at the pros and cons of lynching Wayne, Gil or Valier.
Shows that Crombie has been flipflopping around between suspicions, wonders if she is perhaps the Cobbler, but thinks she is too smart to show herself up like that. (Valid points, though the role could be freaking Crombie out and making her act out of character.)
Votes Crombie, seemingly in order to cause a double lynch! (Very odd, why do that by choice? Although, perhaps in the hope that we will see the hand of a wolf in breaking it one way or the other.)

And now I'm out of time, that look longer than anticipated. If still alive tomorrow I'll continue. As far as I've got it is spawn that seems to stand out as innocent, so I'm going to accept her ideas about Crombie. I've not seen anyone I've really wanted to vote for toDay, but those points about her flipflopping around are persuasive.

++ABERCROMBIE OF ROHAN

And goodbye.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #71
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
So it's now four for Abercrombie while Valier has just the three...

I just don't really see either of them as being wolves. I imagine that there's little chance of Abercrombie not being lynched now, as I'm pretty sure that most the votes which are going to be in are in.

I don't want to bandwagon (vote for Aber) and I don't want to tie it (vote for Valier) so I'm just going to vote for the person I have the worst feeling for right now, and that's still

++Garin

It probably won't help today at all, but it beats a bandwagon or a tie.

[Edit: the times don't look it, but I did kinda cross post this with Kath. I'd seen that she posted but I hadn't seen what, so her vote for Abers wasn't taken into consideration regarding my talk of the vote becoming tied.]
Old 02-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #72
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Kath wrote:
Quote:
Aiwendil, why are you so concerned that we add no more people to list of those with votes? Yes there is a chance that one of the wolves is in there, but it is good to spread the votes rather than bandwagon, because the latter means that anyone who got involved in one is pretty much automatically suspected over the next few Days.
Well, it seems to me that what we want from the voting on the first day is primarily information. Voting records are, I think, the most reliable way of spotting wolves (not that they're all that reliable, mind you, but in my opinion they're the best tool we've got). So it seems to me that on Day 1 we want:

1. Enough names in the pool that we have a good chance of having a wolf among them.
2. Few enough names that the wolves do not have many "safe vote" options and that they cannot lightly go for the ploy of voting for another wolf.

So, by my hasty estimates, the optimal number of names for the first day is, for a group of twenty, about five or six.

That's all rather speculative, of course.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #73
mormegil
Maundering Mage

So Kath does some analysis and seems fairly convinced of things, then goes and says 'well I have no ideas of my own so I'll follow everybody else and vote abercrombie'. Interesting! I suggest we look closely at her tomorrow. If you must continue to think that I voted on roles, so be it, however read what I have stated before and I think my logic is sound.

I agree with Aiwendil about having a decent size pool to vote from and I see him as trying to help the village out. I could always change my opinion of him based on future actions but currently he seems genuine.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #74
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Pipe

Oh, well I made it back in time for a vote--panicked for a minute.

++WAYNE THE GOBLIN

for reasons I explained earlier. Sorry for the short post, but I must be off.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #75
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Leaf

Quote:
Ahem, are you a truffle hunter or a gambler? Just asking because I think it's a bit odd to decide whether someone will live or die by tossing a coin, especially if you're more inclined to vote the other one.
Unfortunately we haven't rectractable votes and shouldn't edit our posts to change our initial intentions. Once I said I would flip a coin I was inclined to do so out of honesty. Perhaps, the coin betrayed me but perhaps it will turn true. I was just doing what I said I would do, for the sake of the village. If I had lied, that also would be used against me. We never know on the first day. I saw two possible wolves and flipped on it. If I am wrong, I can blame the coin.
Yes, I am also a gambler. See my profile.

Last edited by Garin; 02-04-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #76
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ok, I've come to a desicion. My vote is

++Saucepan Man

Simply because something about him is not sitting right with me. I also don't want to be a part of a bandwagon and I don't want to cause a double lynch. So, I'm out. I'm so nervous that I'm going to go crazy again. I'm going to go have my medication and then to bed.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #77
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Hope I'm not late!! I will vote for Nilp again.

Sorry if you're an ordo....you just too crazzzy!!

++Nilp

Last edited by Naria; 02-04-2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to vote
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #78
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Shall I pull a Shelob? I'm innocent I tell you! Innocent! Fine though, whatever.

What you seem not to understand is that the "accusations" I provided were only in response to SPM's pushing. I do not suspect him, nor do I truly suspect anyone that I've mentioned and even voted for. Yes, I voted a safe vote because I thought that I should vote for someone who was not likely to be lynched because I had not read the thread as well as I should have and I still don't have time to go back and re-read. I did not want an innocent to be lynched, but I knew that suspicions would be upon me if I did not vote at all. I still don't want to be lynched because you'll be one innocent down, but it seems my doom has been decided for me. Look towards those like Garin who have jumped on the bandwagon.

Last edited by AbercrombieOfRohan; 02-04-2006 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #79
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Sorry to be late, I got distracted. I'll review the votes, then post a death scene.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 02-04-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #80
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

The villagers gathered together. It was decided that AbercrombieOfRohan would die this day.

"Don't do it! It wasn't a fair trial!" shouted The Saucepan Man.

"Don't kill her!" Nilpaurion Felagund added. "I'm the wolf! Lynch me!"

He climbed to the top of the gallows, eager to be hung from them. The villagers, however, ignored him.

It took a while to locate the mysterious Abercrombie in the woods, as very little was known of her. However, the villagers eventually found her.

"You won't kill me!" she said, and climbed a tree.

Aiwendil the woodwright, however, pulled out a large axe and started chopping it down.

"Stop! Abercrombie shouted. "I'm innocent! Don't do this to me!"

At that moment, however, the tree fell to the ground, crushing her. The villagers cheered... until they realized that she hadn't transformed at all.

While Formendacil recorded the events in the village chronicles and malkatoj once again searched the body for cash, The Saucepan Man shook his head at the results of the mob's actions.

An innocent villager had been lynched.

Living:
mormegil- Elven smith
Garin- Truffle hunter with a half a dozen pigs and no social manners
Nilpaurion Felagund- Escaped thrall from Tol-in-Gaurhoth
dancing spawn of ungoliant- Florist
The Saucepan Man- Earnest and learned young man of the law
Aiwendil- Old woodwright
Shelob- Someone who recently washed ashore
malkatoj- Retired Miracle Man (who is not really a man)
Gil-Galad- Shape-Analyst
Glirdan- Crazy guy down the street
Márcolië Lamen- Second official 8th day adventist Pastafarian
Formendacil- Village historian
Cailín- Deluded girl who believes she is a mermaid
Kath- Local investigator into the paranormal
the guy who be short- Mermaid-catcher and fisherman
WaynetheGoblin- Town geek, wimp, and nerd
Naria- Crazy old lady that thinks the marine life talks to her
Valier- Overly giggly coconut milker who only milks the coconuts while standing on her head

Dead:
Meneltarmacil (Moderator): Speared by wolves on Night 1
AbercrombieOfRohan (Ordinary Villager): Treed and crushed by villagers on Day 1

Wolves: 3
Villagers: 15

It is now Night 2. Villagers, stop posting. Wolves may PM, Ranger and Hunter may not. I need names from the Wolves, Seer, Ranger, and Hunter.